The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Three point five

"If you could see into the future, when would you see to and why? Emma?"

"Miss, I'd see ten years into the future."

"Why do you want to see ten years into the future?"

"I wanna know if I'll be in university, have a boyfriend, what he'll be like, where my friends-"

"Very good, Emma. Now Jonathan, your turn"

"I'd see fifty years into the future."

"And why?"

"I think I'll die around then, I wanna see how it happens, will it be old age, will it be cancer, will it be alien death machines from-"

"Enough, enough. Very good, Jonathan. Now Michael, if you could see into the future, how far ahead would you see and why?"

"If I could see into the future, I'd see three point five seconds into the future at all times."

"That's not far, what can that tell you?"

"Well, if I could see three point five seconds into the future, firstly, I'd see all mistakes before I make them. Every single stupid blunder, every faux pas, every time I trip over my shoe laces, I'll be able to see them and avoid the pain and embarrassment that comes with them. Also, I'd have the edge in heightened conversation, arguements and fights. I'll know exactly what witty retort my adversary is coming up with in his rotting gray matter and I'll also know exactly where his next punch is going to land, so I can dodge with ease."

"Excellent reasoning, but don't-"

"With this information, I won't need to know how I'm going to die, 'cause I don't want to have to plan for it or try to plan to avoid it. I want to be able to survive anything thrown at me in the short term, such as unexpected bullet attacks or maniacal terrorists."

"Oh.... but what if-"

"And three point five seconds isn't asking too much. It doesn't totally unbalance the universe in the way distant clairvoyance does. I mean three point five seconds, what can you do with that other than survive? And make sure those around you survive, too. It's not totally selfish. If I forsaw a knife attack on someone nearby, I could intervene and stop the attack"

"Michael, that's-

"So, in conclusion, three point five seconds clairvoyance is the superior choice, as it helps extend your life, bit by bit, rather than try to plan for the inevitable years away from the actual event"

"I don't know what to say. You've really thought this one through..."