The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Strange Bonds...

Salinye

"Neddy!" Shouted the gruffly voice of Sinedra's uncle Staven. "Another round of Ale fer the boys!" The half elf groaned inwardly as she glanced to the table encircled by men from the lowest walks of life. The Treachery was the name of her uncle's Tavern that sat on the outskirts of Edora, and appropriately named, she thought. Only two kinds of people frequented Staven's tavern, those who loved to gamble, and those who were up to no good. Most people here were a mixture of both, those who weren't welcome to show their face in the town establishments.

Neddy had worked as a tender in her uncle's bar since she was old enough to see over the counter. Her parents had mysteriously passed away when she was 6 years old. She had been placed in the care of her Uncle Staven and her late aunt Melinda. Sinedra had adored her aunt Melinda. She was always kind to her, and best of all kept Staven under control. Aunt Melinda trained Sinedra in the arts of nature-tracking, hunting, healing, fighting with a staff and bow, finding she was a natural. She often spent her free hours in the woods. The place she felt most at peace. She was 14 when her aunt had passed away, and things had gone down hill from there. For the first year after her death, Staven drank himself into a stupor every night. Finally, Sinedra took over Melindas (the name of the tavern at the time) keeping it running, as it was their only source of income. When her Uncle finally decided to quit living a non-existent life, he was worse than ever before.She could still remember him storming down into the bar late one night as she was closing up. He had been drinking, but wasn't so drunk that he couldn't think and speak. He informed her things were about to change, that she should remember she's working for HIM. She would be expected to earn her keep. That week, things did indeed change. The sign that read Melindas was replaced by The Treachery. The furniture, formerly quaint and welcoming, was changed so that the Tavern was more open to gambling, something aunt Melinda had always frowned upon.

Sinedra sighed walking to the table that her uncle and many men sat at. A large pile of coins had collected in the center of the table; smoke hovered in the air like a choking fog. She started collecting the Empty Ale mugs, setting them on her tray, seething inwardly trying to ignore the usual catcalls and affectionate pats she had grown accustomed to. The nights at the Treachery had grown predictable. Most of the customers were regulars, and she knew what to expect from each of them by now. Turning her back on the wretched men she walked back behind the counter, her tray full of empty mugs.

She stood refilling the glasses with her back to the entrance of the tavern- all fell silent. The fine hair on the back of her neck stood up, as she felt the air about her change. She turned, to stare at the figure that had entered the bar. The stranger was tall and Dark his attire completely hidden beneath his black cloak. He was staring at her. His very presence silenced the bar. His countenance demanded attention. Sinedra was more than used to being stared at, even gawked at, but the mere look from this Elven man in her direction gave her a chill filling her with unease and anxiety. This was the start of the night that changed her life.

"Phalion!" Gruffed her uncle in what she knew to be a forced joyous voice. "I'm glad you could make it. Come sit, enjoy a game of cards. Neddy! Get the man an ale". Staven was involved in all kinds of schemes and dealings that she knew nothing about. She wondered from where he knew this man. She watched him as he turned his gaze from her to her uncle. He eyed the table and the men that sat around it as if a hawk sizing up his prey. Without a word, he strode toward Staven's gang with a confident step, his black leather boots tapping against the wooden floor making the only sound in the room. The men shuffled quickly freeing up a seat for the stranger her uncle had called Phalion. The stranger sat down coolly simply nodding to Staven. "Neddy! I told you to get the man an ALE!" Shouted her uncle causing everyone to jump. Sinedra quickly grabbed for a clean glass, when the stranger's cool voice spoke.

"No need". With that he pulled from seemingly nowhere beneath his cloak a tall thin bottle of a dark red liquid and poured himself a glass.

The atmosphere in the tavern grew more and more like it usually was, as the night grew later and the drinks kept coming the dark stranger, Phalion, remained as cool and calm as he was when he first entered The Treachery. Sinedra caught him eyeing her often, and his stare still filled her with anxiety. The regulars resumed their careless crude behavior. Her uncle was even more demanding than usual. At one point during the night he had cornered her in the supply room grabbing her arm pushing his face within an inch of hers speaking in a harsh whisper. "That bloody High elf is a very wealthy man, and he's losing bag after bag of gold! I want you to be at your best. The least ye could do is smile once in a while!" She simply nodded pressing her back against the wall, wanting his hot alcohol stained breath off her face. She had seen that look of greed in his eyes before. It was usually when he was going to run the tables on a rich man. Take him for all he's worth then send him on his way. Staven had many ways of cheating at the cards, but she would take no part in it. Adding just one more thing that helped to build the wall of resentment between them. He had often tried to convince her to "be more friendly like" with the customers so that she could give him signs as to what cards they held in their hands. Her refusal had set the foundation in their dislike for each other.

The hour grew late. Sinedra began wiping the bar down, preparing things for close. Many of the men had staggered out, either with a small fortune for the day, or having lost their pocketful of gold. Staven, the stranger, and a handful of men remained at the table. Her uncle had been happy all night, winning hand after hand. The stranger seemed to have an endless supply of money. "Cursed!" Her uncle yelled slamming his hands on the table. "Ye be swindlin' me!!" He yelled pointing a shaky finger at the stranger. Sinedra would later learn that her uncle had entered into a final hand of double or nothing with Phalion.

She heard the dark haired stranger speak for the second time. "Either put a bet down, or fold." The tall elf stared coolly, through the shadows of his cloak at her red faced enraged uncle.

"I 'aven't got any more money!" He looked up at his niece desperately. "Neddy! You have some money! I know this bugger is bluffing! Go fetch me yer money. If I can just stay in it, I'll win it all!" She shook her head at her uncle, trying to calm him, just wanting the night to be over, and the stranger to leave.

"Uncle Staven...Please, Just let the man go.." She began interrupted by his fury.

"Silence woman!" He yelled even angrier. He sat back down running his fingers through his silvering thinning hair. Again, stranger spoke.

"You could bet your bar". To Sinedra the thought was ludicrous. The bar was all they had. She sat stunned, as she could read on her uncle's face that he was considering the proposition. Quickly abandoned her cleaning she rushed to the gambling table. Hastily pushing some of the other drunken men out of her way, she slammed her hands on the table.

"Uncle Staven! Enough is enough! You'd be a fool to bet the bar!" Staven just stared at the dark man as if Sinedra were not even there, giving a final nod. " No!" She said firmly. She could tell that pleading with her uncle was senseless. In a desperate effort, she turned her attentions to the stranger. Whipping her head around she found her gaze met sternly with his dark eyes. Beginning to loser her nerve she spoke quickly in a strained hushed tone. "M'lord! You must see that he is not in any mind to make such decisions. I beg you, take the money, and be on your way." Phalion stared back answering coolly.

"'Tis his decision to make lass, not yours". She was then shoved back by the strong hand of her uncle.

"Go about the business that concerns ye, like scrubbing the counters and fetching me an ale". Her uncle hollered. That was the final straw for the girl. She had wanted to leave for a long time, and she thought she just might finally have collected enough money to do so. She stomped to the bar angry. "Fine, lose the bar like a drunken fool! I'll no longer be slave to your command". This set the remaining men in the bar laughing...all accept Staven and Phalion who remained eyes locked and silent. Walking up the back stairs to her living quarters she began packing the few things that mattered to her. A charcoal sketch of her parents, a few clothes, her staff, and the money she had been able to acquire over the years. She changed out of the dress her uncle made her wear while tending and into her leather hunting clothes and cloak. She walked back down the stairs stunned by the sight before her eyes.

The room was deadly silent; her uncle lay with his head in his arms on the table. The stranger stood, a sneer curling his lips, and began collecting the coins into a bag. As she walked closer, she could hear her uncle's drunken sobs. "Oh Melinda, what have I done?" Were some of the words she could make out.

The stranger faced her, his eyes searing into her "You work for me now, lass."

Sinedra stood defiant. "Nae, I work for no one. I'm leaving this forsaken place and never looking back." With that she turned her back on her uncle and the dark man heading towards the door. Phalion's next words stopped her in her tracks.

"Staven, if you'd like to keep your bar, I'd be willing to trade it for your niece". Sinedra spun around as her uncle jerked his head up off the table and agreed without a moment's hesitation. "Take her! She's yours, but I warn ye, she's more trouble 'en she's worth!"

Sinedra couldn't believe the absurdity of what they were saying. " I'm not YOURS to give away, Staven! I'm a person not property. You lost your bar because you're a fool!" The two men stood facing each other as if she had not even spoken.

"Staven, do you agree to the trade?" Asked the dark mage pointedly.

Her uncle only hesitated a moment before replying, "Aye!"

The girl scoffed disgusted spinning on her heels to leave forever. Before she could get more than 3 steps, she heard words mumbled by the stranger and was thrown to the ground in a brilliant flash of light. Her head slammed into the wooden slats of the floor with a crack, sending her world into darkness......

When she came too, she was no longer in the bar; she was in a room she did not recognize, laying on the floor. Her head ached, and it took a moment for her vision to clear, but when it did, she saw that the dark mage was sitting in a chair in the corner staring at her. She sat up startled looking wildly around the room noting where the exits were. Get up. He commanded her, on impulse; she did exactly as he asked.

"Who are you? What do you want with me, and where are we"? She stammered.

"I am Phalion." He stared at her as if studying her, but made no move to leave the chair he sat in. "Come here, Lass". Her heart raced in fear, but her instinct was to do exactly as he commanded. She used all her will to override the instinct to approach him turning to flee for the door. The moment she did this, some sort of paralization overcame her. She was frozen in spot. Screaming in frustration she fought against the spell trying to move. Her efforts were unrewarded. The dark man just sat in the corner watching her amused. She finally stopped struggling, succumbing to the command that seemed to be pounding in her mind. Walking to the stranger She glared at him defiantly, her arms at her side, trying to hide her fear.

Looking back at her he began to speak evenly. "My name is Phalion, and I own you. You need not know more about me. You have just had a minor taste of what can happen if you disobey me. You are physically unable to disobey me. Understand?" Sinedra sat staring at this man in disbelief.

"You...you don't own me! I am not a piece of clothing, or a gem that can be kept!" She spat back, as calmly as she could muster. Although inside her heart was sinking, because deep inside, her spirit was screaming a protest that let her know the mans words were true.

Phalion raised his hands up sharply causing her to flinch away. She scorned herself for showing weakness as he stopped his fists just before her face. Flipping is fisted hands over, he revealed his wrists. Each wrist had an unrecognizable symbol on them. Sitting forward in his chair he looked directly into her eyes. "Do you see these?" She nodded numbly. He slowly dropped his hands grabbing hers firmly. Jerking them up he twisted her hands painfully to reveal her wrists with the same symbols upon them. "Do you see THESE?" Sinedra's eyes stung with tears as she saw the very same symbols on her body. "You are bound to me, Sinedra."

In anger, she jerked her hand away raising it to strike him. Simultaneously the same slowing painfully throbbing paralization began to pulse through her very soul. Phalion laughed a deep laugh that brought out the wickedness in his features. "Do not cross me girl, you will not win. Allow me to show you one more thing". Sinedra felt the paralization begin to drain from her dropping her hand back to her side limply.

She watched in horror as the dark mage removed a sharp-jeweled dagger from a small leather sheath at his side. Her eyes widened, her face paling as he brought it up before her face. She began trembling in fear. He smiled, pleased with her fear, slowly lowering the dagger to rest upon the palm of his hand. Without warning, and without removing his eyes from hers, he slowly sliced a thin cut across his own palm.

Sinedra screamed in pain grabbing her own hand as blood ran from it revealing a cut in her palm to match his. Phalion laughed again wiping the bloodied dagger on his cloak, then sheathed it back at his side. "You see, Sinedra, you are bound to me. You will take half of any harm inflicted upon me." Then his eyes narrowed. "You are not as strong as me. It would take less to kill you than me, understand?" The druidess froze, as comprehension began to settle in on her. Crumpling to the floor she sobbed in shock and desperation....

Edited by Salinye

• 2 weeks later...

Sinedra Sat upon a rock on a hill that over looked the distant town of Eldora. The leaves of the trees were just starting to bloom, and the nights were finally turning warm again. Her heart ached just to see the woods she used to retreat to for solace. It had been two years since she had been here. Two long years since Phalion had taken her away. Magically....evilly....She wondered if he had reason to return here, or if this was just a random stop on their journeys. Either way, it didn’t matter. She wouldn't get to stay. She had long since let go of illusions of a knight in shining armor coming to save her from the curse she was under. There was once, when she had a small sliver of hope. During their travels, they had encountered a lone ranger, and he asked to travel at their side, something about safety in numbers. She of course was forbidden in anyway to reveal the curse she was under. Most assumed she was Phalion's slave by choice or deed some even thought her a concubine. She was disgusted at the mere thought.

Phalion reveled in mistreating her in front of brave would-be champions. He was especially awful to her any time they were joined by some poor stranger who was unlucky enough to travel a ways with them. Phalion did his best to goad the strangers into a fight over her honor. He lived to see the shock upon the men's face when she would leap to the side of her abuser and physically defend him. If they lived they usually walked away more disgusted with her than they were with the mage. They didn't understand, and how could they. Either she defended Phalion or she died. It was that simple.

This ranger, Himlin, he was different. He had a keen sense of his surroundings, and knew that something was amiss. He tired quickly of how Phalion treated her. One night, he spoke quietly to her, asking her to leave with him. Oh how she had wanted to run away with that ranger. Her heart cried out to him wanting to explain. When she tried to open her mouth, to beg for help, that all too familiar paralysis overcame her, and all she could do was run away and weep. Himlin knew. He knew she was captive, and he foolishly tried to save her.

The next night, when Phalion had grabbed her harshly for making a snide remark under her breath, Himlin could stand it no more, and struck the dark lord over the back of his head with the flat of his sword. Phalion staggered, but it was she who screamed in agony and dropped to the earth bleeding from the back of her head. The ranger was so stunned, so taken off guard by this that he didn't even see the murderous blow coming. When she awoke, the ranger was dead at her side. She vowed never again to let an innocent person know of her entrapment.

The rangeress had long since forgotten the touch of a tender hand, and was slowly losing her will for life. It was only being amongst the trees and the animals that brought her some sanity. She looked over her shoulder and saw the dark lord sitting by the fire. She was not permitted to leave shouting range from him. She pulled her knees to her chest on the rock, and leaned her chin on them, staring at the horizon through the forest. Oh Mighty Frai'Shalla, please please deliver me from these strange bonds. She prayed as she always did, begging for freedom.

Edited by Salinye