The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Myth

Gwaihir

This the beginning of a larger piece...

No particular plans to inflict it on you all, but it's what I'm working on so I felt like posting a bit of it. (though comments are quite welcome ;)

“Who are you, what have you done, and why the fuck do I care?”

That’s what my brother’s mentor asked when I went to the den, a little room in a warehouse, where he holds sway and asked to be his student. I’m Myth Shan’ri, and I was such a naïve fool then. The number of times my present self could kill that young self in ten seconds still stuns me.

[page break]

The students all sit in the packed lecture hall. Half of them are thrilled to be there. This is a person who really knows what the enemy is like. The other half is disgusted and wouldn’t be here if it weren’t required of all Remans’ upper-level students. They’d rather be in their labs, working on magic, than listening to some woman who can’t even do any. What use can she really be to advanced students like them if she knows nothing?

When she came in the room she was so quiet that few of them even noticed. She just stopped by the blackboard and watched them. One particularly observant guy turned to his neighbour. “How the hell did she make that stupid creaking door work silently? I’ve never seen or heard that door work smoothly in my life. She didn’t even know it creaked usually, but she just naturally made it smooth

“You sure she doesn’t know magic?” a near by listener asked. The rest only shrugged.

“I’m Myth and I’ll tell this from my point of view so hold your peace when I say something you already know,” she said, and they jumped to see her there. Slowly as she looked at them the room suddenly got quiet. Even though few of them knew why, they were all surprised to see her there. It was partly because of her silent entry, but also because they all tended to only stop talking when they heard the door. A few of them kept muttering, but after her chill eyes held them for a moment they broke off mid syllable and looked almost scared.

“I don’t really care whether you want to be here, but I expect respect from every one of you. He asked me to come here, and spend two class periods, a week telling you all about my life, because he thinks it’ll help you all out there. He’s right–you all could indeed learn something from it, so pay attention, and we’ll see how this works.”

A couple guys in the middle of the room began to carry on a written conversation: “She looks at us as if we were little kids, like worthless beginners or something We’ve done a hell of a lot What right has she to do that, she can’t be over thirty-five” wrote one, outraged.

“No,” his companion replied, “look at her scars, she’s forty-five if she’s a year. Lots of grey hair too. Anyhow, you’re right about her attitude, it’s reall-” Here the woman they’d come to hear got tired of their note-passing and raised her eyebrows at them. They quickly turned their attention to what she’d already begun to say, and she returned to her constant pacing.

The first speaker was right, she was thirty, but it was easy to see how his friend could be confused. That beauty that youth gives to all had left her too quickly. Despite that, she was anything but tired and middle aged--fervent and angry is more like it. On the physical level she was quite small and somewhat Hispanic with long, messy, black, hair and a face that was indeed scarred with more than memories.