The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Kendall Cotton - A FARS excerpt

Archive

peredhil31

Elder of Lists and Manners

(10/28/01 7:30:49 pm)

Reply Kendall Cotton - A FARS excerpt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Kendall Cotton, but everybody has called me ‘Kid’ for as long as I can remember.

I’m from a little village in a big forest. In Asmenfarmod, you don’t just grow up, marry, and have children. You have to prove your fitness to be an adult on a Manhood journey. Or I suppose for Jenny it is a Womanhood journey, but I’m sure everyone understands what I mean. Now that I’m fourteen, it is time for me to go out and prove myself.

I’m pretty lucky, because a group of us are going together and one of them is Cromwell. Cromwell is the great grandson of The Kithe, and already a good Bowman himself. He has the Kithe looks too – black hair and grey eyes, nose like one of Half-head’s sword blades. A lot of the women are just waiting for him to prove adulthood.

While I spent most of my time in the fields learning the secrets of planting and such, cause Cottons are in charge of the crops, Cromwell practiced weapons. If any of us come back alive, it will probably be because of him.

I think he’s also the reason that Jenny Tanner decided to come with us. He’s Cromwell and she’s a girl. Anywhere else she’d be a woman even though she’s fifteen. How ole Smedley Tanner and Angela Kithe got together and made Jenny I don’t know. She’s completely different than both of them – blonde curly hair, eyes so brown they look black, and all curvy in the right places. No wonder she’s been studying with the Herbalist to follow the Earth Mother, Yrrana. She just makes it hard for a guy to think about things other than some of the Earth Mother’s rituals.

I wish I could breathe around her.

Her brother Jeremy is coming along too. Now, it’s always nice to have a Hat in the group, but being able to cast spells shouldn’t give a brother license to tease a fellow just because that same fellow gets clumsier than usual around the brother’s sister. Right? If we could use Jeremy’s wit as a weapon, we’d be safe from all them there monsters out there.

Or maybe not, ‘cause Bobby Cooper is coming along, a year early. I think Bobby can cast spells, but he doesn’t practice much, he’s too busy setting up practical jokes. His sense of mischief is so big, and body is so small, Jeremy used to say Bobby was Gnomic. I think that they’re best friends just because they’re both so weak. I’ve noticed a lot of weak people turn to magic. At least Bobby doesn’t have a constant cough. If Jeremy was half as healthy as Jenny, he’d never get sick.

I'm awriting this journal 'cause Mom says it helps a body to think when they write. Gets the thoughts right out there where you can look at them each angle and think about them instead of just feeling them.

We leave tomorrow. And none us of really know what we have to do to prove up. Just go adventure around I guess.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 7:39:43 pm)

Reply Day One

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I’m writing this by moonlight on Cromwell’s guard. I can’t sleep yet.

We got our favorite weapons and stuff, went by the Keep’s store and got Adventurer’s packs and then crossed the river. We all put our own copper in the box for luck (and to make sure the Ferry knew we’d each paid!), and set out south along the trail to the Riffstead. I didn’t really care where we went, and it ended up being a discussion between Cromwell and Jeremy while the rest of us looked through our packs to see what we had. I think we went toward the Riffs because they figured it would be a little safer, there was a trail, and it would give us a chance to get used to walking with packs and being on guard and such.

Well, it was a disaster from the start. I went to help Jenny out of the ferry and up on the dock, caught my foot on a rope and nearly fell in the river. I was so red in the face, I almost wish that I’d fallen in and not come up.

Then Cromwell had me march in the rear so if I tripped or fell, I wouldn’t knock over someone else. It wouldn’t have been so bad, but Jeremy and Bobby are so short and kept slowing down to rest so often, I had nothing to look at but Jenny walking behind Cromwell. The curls in her hair bounce in the same rhythm as the jiggle in her, um, pack.

We made really slow time. Bobby and Jeremy have to rest all the time. At lunch, Bobby did some sort of magic that made Cromwell go into a sneezing fit. Between the sneezing and Bobby’s whooping laugh, I thought that every monster in the wood would come and get us. It’s good to know that Cromwell can still aim an arrow that well when he’s sneezing, it only scratched Bobby’s hand. Bobby, being Bobby, sniggered and chortled for the next hour anyway.

Oh, we killed a zombie after dinner.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 7:52:29 pm)

Reply Day Two

We finally made it to the Riffstead late in the day.

It took an hour to get moving this morning. Jeremy and Bobby were sore and moved like a Gnome the morning after a drug binge.

Cromwell took one look at them, and went hunting without a word. Jenny and I were ready to go almost immediately.

As we stood watch on different sides of the camp, she told Jeremy that she wished he was as ‘strong as Kendall’. Jeremy said ‘better brains of a human than strength of an ox.’

But the important thing is – she knows my name! Even Mom forgets my name isn’t Kid!

Lotsa Riffs here. Cromwell won an archery contest and a wrist wrestling match. Is there anything he can’t do well?

Jeremy went to bed as soon as we got here. Mrs. Riff took one look at him and whisked the little wart away. It must be something about curly blond hair and brown eyes. You’d think with all the blondes around here that Mrs. Riff would be immune.

Bobby pulled one of his practical jokes, this time it was uncontrollable yawns, on one of the Riff boys after dinner. It took us ten minutes to pull him back down out of the chimney. He’s lucky that Riff boy shoved him up an unlit one.

One of the Riff girls said she’d kiss me if I could beat her at wrist wrestling. I was so nervous my hand was sweating something fierce. We squared off and when she said go, she didn’t even try! Well, her hand went over so quickly and mine was wet from sweat and I didn’t want to hurt her and I thought maybe the ‘go’ was a mistake and anyway, I knocked over the table and fell out of my chair.

So there I am, lying on the floor at her feet, and everyone is laughing. I start to get up and she bends down to help me, or so I thinks. But she’d been bending down to give me the Kiss and I hit her mouth with the top of my head and cut her lip.

I could have died.

She was really nice about it, helping me up anyway. Her sister said maybe they should line up and give me practice in kissing without making the girl's lips bleed.

Then Jeremy helpfully pointed out that ‘the Kid was blushing so hard he might burn them’ and they all starting laughing again. Maintaining my dignity I said I was going outside to cool off. If he wasn’t HER little brother, I’d smoke him hot!

peredhil31

(10/28/01 7:53:43 pm)

Reply Day Three

Spent at the Riffstead letting Jeremy and Bobby rest and recover.

They’re all calling me Hot Lips now.

This too shall pass.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:00:58 pm)

Reply Day Four

Evil evil day.

Jeremy and Bobby are dead. Just like that, they’re gone. Jenny is badly hurt and won’t wake up. Crom and I at least can move.

We left the Riffstead early, and headed south.

The trail heads south-east to the Cursed Pass and we didn’t want to walk that way. We made slow time through the woods, our packs and weapons kept catching on trees and bushes. We had to stop about every ten minutes to let Jeremy and Bobby rest. Cromwell made some comment about the pace, and Jenny really tore into him. I guess she and Jeremy were closer than I’d thought, she really was protective of him.

After we’d been walking four hours, we were ambushed by seven Whapper dudes with clubs.

Bobby went down immediately. I managed to block one with my staff. Jeremy killed one with a flaming dart, but another hit him in the chest with a club. Jenny killed that one with her club, and then went down under the blows of another. Cromwell had taken one down with an arrow, and was fighting with knife. I was busy keeping one off of myself while the other three went for him.

By the time I killed mine with my staff (taking several blows in the process), Cromwell had killed two more and the last one ran away. Cromwell has a stiff side and a three broken fingers. Jenny has blood coming from her nose and ears and a soft spot on the side of her head. Bobby and Jeremy are dead from head-wounds.

Targul judge them mercifully, Yrrana let them be reborn soon.

Cromwell and I bound ourselves up best we could and made a little fire. We’ve washed Jenny and the boys and will bury them in the morning. The boys – if Yrrana is merciful not Jenny. My head hurts and I have a broken arm.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:04:29 pm)

Reply Day Five - Morning

We made it through the night.

The dead bodies of the Whappers are beginning to puff up and smell.

We saw some deer a ways off and CK tried to stalk them but made too much noise. He did discover a small clearing though.

We spent most of the morning moving Jenny and our supplies over to it. I felt bad about taking Jer and Bobby’s stuff, but CK said they would want us to have it. We buried Jeremy and Bobby.

There is a small spring pool at the far end of the clearing. We refilled our water skins and I made some soup out of some rations. I tried to feed Jenny, but it just dribbles back out of her mouth. I’m not hungry, the pain is making my stomach sick.

Later in the afternoon, Cromwell made me help him move the camp back in the trees about ten feet west of the clearing. I feel weak and need to rest. Crom’s moving easier already, although his face is always stiff.

He said that he feels badly because he is oldest and the leader. It seemed like fun before, but now it is all horrible. He killed the leader in hand to hand combat with his knife. I told him he has nothing to blame himself for. Bobby and Jeremy couldn’t walk ten feet without getting tired, and I was a clumsy farmer. For some reason we ended up yelling at each other, in the middle of the woods, with monsters everywhere. Dumb, dumb, and dumb. I ended up crying for no reason and he walked off.

Cromwell came back and apologized for yelling. He searched the bodies and they had a total of 33 copper pieces. They also each had a small bottle of water and a wallet of food. Cromwell says that is significant but I don’t get it. He brought back their clubs for firewood. The clubs are made of oak, which Crom also says is significant 'cause we live in a mostly pine forest.

I’m too tired to think.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:07:29 pm)

Reply Day Five - Afternoon

We heard some noise over at the Ambush Site. CK crept over (I wish I could move like that!), I waited a moment and then tried to follow quietly. I got there just in time to see CK put an arrow through the eye of some evil creature pawing the dead bodies. His next arrow pierced through another monster and lodged in the chest of a third. The first fell, choking on blood. The other two (arrow-chest and the last one) charged.

Cromwell was magnificent, standing tall and firing twice with his long bow. The first arrow missed, but his second took the unwounded Orc (for such they turned out to be) in the mouth and stuck out the back of its head. The last one fell to a blow from my staff and was killed by Cromwell.

Well, in my own journal I should tell the truth. Actually, I tripped as I ran forward to help, and my staff bounced from my hand and the monster tripped as it tangled in its legs.

Cromwell said ‘good job, you saved me’ (like I’d planned it all).

I started to explain, but he said that with his broken fingers, he wouldn’t have been able to fight up close. If it wasn’t for Cromwell, we’d all be dead anyway, but after the scene earlier, I didn’t want to argue.

Jenny is still out. She’s coughing blood. Cromwell thinks she might have some broken ribs as well as the head wound. Maybe the Mother will save her, she’s one of Hers. I’d pray for Jenny, but I don’t think it would be smart for a man to call on the Mother.

Crom shot a deer while they were grazing in the meadow. He says dawn and evening are good times to hunt deer, but that he was lucky. Tas Wilder must be looking out for us.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:09:46 pm)

Reply Day Five - Night

I’m afraid.

Crom is moaning in his sleep. When I looked, his face was flushed and red. He doesn’t wake up either.

That Whapper busted him up under his leathers and he’s been drawing that bow of his. I bandaged him up and lit a fire with Jenny’s tinder.

Saw a panther eating the Orc’s bodies. I threw up. Cromwell says that the first Orc he’d killed was about to pork one of the dead Whappers. The very thought makes me want to puke again. He says they would’ve eaten the dead bodies too.

I’m going to go for water. Jenny is breathing mighty heavy.

Oh Almoth grant me fighting spirit! I almost died of fright!

I walked over to the spring and up jumps a big ole moose, musta been nine foot tall.

He ran one way and I ran the other and my heart is still jumping around. I’m gonna carry my staff with me from now on, even if it’s just a few feet.

I wish I was back in Asmenfarmod!

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:10:58 pm)

Reply Day Six

Jenny’s still not woke up. Crom is delirious.

I tried to jerk and smoke the deer meat. I burnt most of it and ruined the hide.

Dragged off the mess over by the dead bodies at the Ambush Site.

Something besides the panther must have been there, two bodies were gone. The rest were chewed up considerable.

Found some silver chunks and a short sword. Guess I’ll keep them. Hope no ghosts get mad.

The deer came back in the evening. Seems to be a salt lick in the rocks at the far side of the clearing.

Saw a badger. He paid me no mind and I was just as happy.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:13:05 pm)

Reply Day Seven

I fell asleep last night and slept all the way through. We all woke up alive.

Crom’s awake today. His fever is gone.

Jenny woke up!!!

Drank a bunch of water, and went back to sleep. Her eyes look funny, one big and one little. She’s always been a little slow, so maybe nobody will notice.

Lucky for her, she cleans up so pretty.

Resting here again today. Crom says that we can use the salt to save meat if we get more.

We ate the last of the Whapper's food for dinner.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:16:07 pm)

Reply Day Eight

Nothing but animals last night and yesterday. They seem to drink a lot from that pool.

CK says a place like this is a good place to hunt. Offered to teach me the bow, but I said no. I was afraid I’d shoot him or myself.

I remember the sword lessons I tried!

If not for Mrs. Carver, I might have lost that foot. It was nice of him to offer though.

Managed to kill a rabbit with a snare. CK showed me how to salt the part we didn't eat. To tell the truth, I could've eaten the whole thing myself, but he said we should stretch it out.

Jenny managed to eat a few bites when she woke up. I carried her off a bit so she could relieve herself and then carried her back.

We all need a bath.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:18:11 pm)

Reply Day Nine

CK is better already, just bruises, and stiff arm and fingers.

He shot and dressed another deer.

Jenny doesn’t get any better.

I’m sore still, and can’t squeeze tight with my left hand.

CK is teaching me to make and clean up a camp. He taught me the right way to jerk deer meat, even let me do most of the deer. I wasted some, but he let me do it. He’s awfully nice to me.

I’m not sure why he came with us anyway. I didn’t know it, but he’d already proved manhood last fall.

Could it be Jenny? She’s dumb, but sweet and powerfully curved.

If'n he likes her, she'll never notice me for anything.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:23:10 pm)

Reply Day Ten

My hand is sore, but I can use it again.

CK’s gone off to explore around us.

While he was gone, a little short man dressed in leathers and a badger skin cloak (with the head still on it!) came by the pool. I kept really quiet, but he heard Jenny when she coughed.

He started over and I sprang up and beaned him on the head with Jenny’s club. His eyes crossed, then rolled up to the whites, then he fell down. I tied him up and took off his sword. It’s so short it looks funny, but it was sharp enough to cut my finger to the bone when I slipped while testing the edge.

About ten minutes later, he started moaning and came back awake. He tried to sit up, and felt the ropes, so he rolled over instead.

When he saw me, he puffed up his cheeks and stuck out his beard all bristly and his eyes got big. He looked so fierce, I hopped back a foot. When I jumped back, I tripped and sat down fast.

Well, he started laughing so hard, he turned red and so did I. He says to me, “Come on lad, untie me quick and give me my things. I’m a hard foe and my curse is on robbers and thieves.”

I said, “I don’t have anything of yours but your sword, and a sharp one it is. I’m no thief or murderer. But I’m not going to untie you until my friend comes back. I’ve a hurt companion to guard.”

“Who’s hurt?” he asks, looking around. When his eyes saw Jenny, they went big. He grinned a grin and said “I can promise I won’t hurt that one!”

The way he said it reminded me of some of my own thoughts on the person in question, and I started blushing again. He gives me a sly look and says not a word, but when our eyes meet, he starts to chuckle and winks, and I blushed harder and then we both start to laugh – him low and wicked-like, and me embarrassed.

“She’s hurt bad,” I tells him, “so none of that talk.”

He just laughs that low laugh, that sounds so funny from such a little man, and bobs his head so that the badger hood appears to wink.

“No fear, lad”, he replied, “I’m not a lowland Gnome to couple with just any man or beast. I’m for my own kind and she’s not for me.”

He moans a bit, piteously, and asks to be set up sitting. I set him up and give him some water to drink, accidentally pouring some down his beard. He snorts and looks at me like Pa always does – fierce but not really mad. After a talking a while, I got tired of waiting for Cromwell (who’d gotten lost! Can you believe it?!) and cut the Gnome loose to eat dinner.

Next thing I know, I’m lying on the ground with stars and tears floating in my eyes. When the bells in my ears quiet down, I saw him standing there with drawn sword.

“Are you going to kill me, Sir?” I quavered.

He growls all low and mean, and I nearly wet myself. He laughed and said “Blow for a blow. Mountain Gnomes return fair measure, good or ill.” Then he walked over to Jenny and stretched out his hand toward her. I lunged to my feet and tripped over my staff. He glanced at my bloodied face and turned back to Jenny. As he reached again, an arrow appeared between his fingers. Cromwell was back!

To save ink, I’ll shorten this. Under the watchful eye of Cromwell and I, the Gnome did something to Jenny’s head to loosen where a piece of bone was pushing in. I think she's breathing better already.

Cromwell said we could trust this Gnome, but told me privately to keep an eye on him.

The Gnome stayed the night with us and told some wonderful stories of mining.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:26:20 pm)

Reply Day Eleven

The Gnome left this morning. We gave him some venison. He gave me a copper chain and told to me to come visit him at ‘The Low Mountain’. When I said I’d never heard of it, he said it was south of here, and then left before I could ask any more questions. Cromwell made me search all our stuff to make sure nothing was missing. He's so suspicious, I mean, the Gnome helped Jenny didn't he?

I’m feeling fine, except a stitch in my side when I breathe deeply.

Jenny is already much better.

She’s so silly – when she woke up, the first thing she asked was “who punched me in the breast?” I couldn’t believe it. She cried when I told her that Jeremy was dead, but then spent the rest of the day praying to Dien the Maiden. I tried not to listen.

I don’t know if I’m in trouble now that I know the Maiden’s Aspect name. I try to stay nice with all the gods, but I don't want to get too mixed up in them!

I moved off (with my staff!) to the spring and practiced being still. (A hunting lesson from Cromwell.) A rabbit almost fed from my fingers!

– later. Cromwell says not to feed the rabbits as some will eat fingers.

- night. On my guard shift, I thought I saw the Gnome in the moonlight. Turned out to have been a rabbit. I didn't feed it. Moonlight will play tricks on your eyes I guess.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:28:17 pm)

Reply Day Twelve

All my silver is gone!

I know right where I had it and it’s no longer there. I still have my copper chain and copper pieces.

Cromwell says both his silver tipped arrows are gone too.

I told him about the Gnome/rabbit, and he said some Gnomes are thieves. It has something to do with their Manhood quests.

I guess I didn’t watch well enough.

Jenny is much better. May travel tomorrow.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:30:35 pm)

Reply Day Thirteen

Last night about midnight, when the little moon was setting, two rotting corpses of Orcs stumbled into camp and attacked.

The sheer horror of it made them hard to fight.

Cromwell’s hair was up on end, and his teeth showed in a grimace all through the fight. Arrows just stuck and I thought we were dead for sure.

Suddenly Jenny was standing in the dying moonlight and called on The Mother’s Name. The moon was caught in her curls and her eyes were enormous as they flashed angrily.

She was so beautiful I forgot to be afraid.

She was holding up that silver thing that I can never quite see (its always down in her cleavage, but worth looking for) and the ground suddenly split open and swallowed the Orcs up!

I screamed and wet my britches and Jenny passed out. The ground just sucked them down like muddy mouths. I ain't never seen anything like that.

I couldn’t sleep the rest of the night. Neither could Cromwell.

He told me not to worry about wetting myself – he said he was too terrified to do the same. I didn’t believe him, but it made me feel better anyway.

We spent the rest of the night whispering about the worshippers of the Women’s Goddess.

We’re going to move camp when Jenny wakes up.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:33:16 pm)

Reply Day Fourteen

We traveled back toward the trail today.

We could only travel until noon as Jenny still tires easily.

I’m looking at her, dirty and smelly as the rest of us, hair still matted with blood on one side, and all I can see is how she looked last night.

I’ll never call her a dumb bunny again.

We had to climb trees right before nightfall. Two badgers decided to fight over the clearing we'd camped in.

Cromwell says nobody in their right mind messes with a badger.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:35:35 pm)

Reply Day Fourteen - later

We ambushed six Whappers! Not too smart, but we was still mad at all of that ilk.

The badgers left and we was waiting to make sure it was safe to come down and heard them coming.

After a tough battle, we killed them all. I killed two, and didn’t hurt myself or drop my staff. Jenny killed three with her club, calling Jeremy’s name like a battle cry. Cromwell killed the leader in a sword combat. I did end up unconscious from a Whapper’s dying blow, but Jenny killed him.

We are camped several hundred yards away. Cromwell says we should rob the bodies as just reward, but Jenny and I voted no. We don't want nothing from them.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:37:55 pm)

Reply Day Fourteen – real late.

It’s almost morning.

I can’t sleep, I have a bad headache.

An hour ago, I heard something big hissing down by the dead men. Neither moon was in the sky and it was DARK under the trees.

Some starlight glimmered off of something.

Scales?!? Do lizards grow that big?

The bodies (all six!) are gone now.

I looked and found only some blood, a club, and a coin pouch.

I buried the club and pouch.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:44:31 pm)

Reply Day Fifteen

We shot an Orc but he ran away. He was sniffing at the blood where we’d killed the Whappers.

– later. The Orc came back – with four more! They shot at us with arrows. Jenny was hit in the arm as we ran away. I lost my staff and club when I tripped over a fallen log. My head still hurts. Crom is coughing blood, but since he doesn’t complain, I’m not going to whine.

We fled until we lost them in a corpse of Troll Pine. The needles drew blood, but at least the Orcs stopped their pursuit. We now cower and rest. I can tell that Cromwell would have done better by himself.

Here in the center of the Troll Pines is an old well, covered by a cracked lid. It was well hidden under dirt and pine needles, but I found it when I put my foot through the cover.

Thank goodness for sturdy high boots!

Jenny thinks we should leave it alone, but Crom and I agree we should at least see if it has good water.

Our wounds are such that we must rest a few days. We’ll try to open it tomorrow.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:52:45 pm)

Reply Day Sixteen

Cromwell made some torches out of the Troll Pines. Had to wrap the handles in cloth stripes after peeling the bark.

Removing the well cover was easy after we dug it out. There were step-like holes in the brick lining so even CK with his bad chest could go.

So we did. I went first. My idea – If I fell, I wouldn’t knock anyone else off. Then Jenny, followed by Cromwell.

We wound down about fifteen feet; The walls were cold and slimed. I found a narrow passage heading off at an angle to the well. Since our hands were numb and slippery, we took the passage to rest within.

The well continues down at least ten more feet and we could see the reflection of the torches off dark still water.

The passage went straight about twenty-five feet, very narrow and rough, and ended in a wooden plank wall with a simple rusty latch.

We rested there for a while, putting out all but one torch because the heavy smoke was making Crom cough. While we rested, I found an old stub of a tallow candle. We lit the candle and put out the last torch. I’m keeping mine to use as a makeshift club.

When we’d rested a while, and eaten a little, we opened the door. I managed to cut my hand on the latch, but that is typical.

It wasn’t really a door! It turned out to be the back of a set of shelves which swung out on hinges. The long room beyond was walled with more shelves with a slanted door set at the far end.

There was a trap door in the ceiling above us. It looked like one of the rooms we used on the Other Side, in the Bright Star Training and Proving Grounds the town lived in during the Bad Winter.

But our cellars weren’t ever filled with treasures!

Along the walls on the shelves were rude chests made of rough wood, filled with copper, silver, and even some gold.

Along the other wall were folded cloaks, robes, rope, lanterns, food packs, string, boots, weapons, and clay pots marked with runes indicating Jelly and Jam.

There were flasks marked FO’C, which really made Cromwell excited. He said they were made by a famous priest of Smyrnov, who’d lived in Asmenfarmod a long time ago. It was a potion named Irish Whiskey that was supposed to have marvelous curative powers.

When I asked why Smyrnov had lived in Asmenfarmod, he said it was the priest, not the God who’d lived there. I felt like an idiot.

After lighting a lantern, we examined the potion. It was clear as water. When I drank some, it burned like fire and I could feel my eyes bulge and water. I coughed, wheezed, and strange shivers ran from my bottom up over my head, like the tingles of a foot falling asleep. My face and ears soon felt hot and my fingers thawed. My ears rang and the world spun. But soon everything came back into a sharp, almost tunnel-like focus and the second swallow of the potion didn’t hurt so much. I was warming up quickly and losing all fear for the first time in a long time. My tongue felt glazed and slightly swollen and when I moved, I flowed confidently. Perhaps this was a potion of agility too?

I looked at Jenny and she was sputtering and had watering eyes too. Cromwell took the flask and downed a long swallow. He coughed once, blinked hard, and said “Prime. Liquid gold. Year of the Burn if not older.” It sounded so funny coming from Mr. Sober-sides, Jenny and I laughed until we had to sit down. I felt better than I had in quite some time. Definitely a potion of healing.

When we closed the shelf we’d entered through, it was the most wonderful of all. On it were beautiful jewelry, unset gems, a couple of beautiful swords set in sheaths worked with golden traceries that glittered in the lantern light. There was a kettle, a short piece of string, an ornate Chalice, and other wonders. There were even some books and pictures in small silver boxes.

Jenny tried on some earrings and a bracelet and looked so beautiful I nearly cried out loud. I tried to tell her how lovely she looked, but my tongue seemed too thick. The silver and black pieces complemented her golden hair so well. Cromwell carefully took another of the magic Irish potions and the Chalice, while I took some rope and some copper for the Ferry. I also took a short sword to replace my lost weapons. I didn’t feel right about taking one of the fancy ones, so I took a plain one off the long wall.

Jenny carefully took off the jewelry and put it back. We were wondering who owned all this, when we heard a loud commotion outside, like fighting. Still full of valor from the potion, we rushed in a most direct line to the door, and after several tries, worked the latch.

In our excitement, we didn’t even notice until later all our wounds had completely disappeared.

Dashing through the door, Cromwell and I stuck against each other for a moment, then burst out and up some steps. Through an open door, set level with the ground, were the remains of a courtyard, surrounded by ruined burnt walls.

Fighting with his back to us was an enormous Troll wielding a huge two-handed sword. Facing the Troll was a tall man dressed in simple tunic and pants, long black hair bound back with a leather thong, also wielding a two-handed sword. When the man saw us, his eyes went wide and he faltered just long enough to be knocked senseless by a great blow from the Troll.

I immediately charged, potion filled with grace and vigor, and cleaved the Troll’s head from its neck with a single blow! The Troll fell like a tree, blood hissing and steaming black, and I tripped and fell with him. Jenny and Cromwell grabbed the fallen man and we all quickly fled the scene. I paused long enough to grab the man’s Great Sword. I was amazed at the vitality of trolls, which must be kin to snakes. When I glanced back, the Troll was still jerking its arms around in its death throws.

We went as quickly as we could, which was slower than normal. The forest seemed alive against us as we tripped and lurched into everything, and the weight of the Man was heavy – we dropped him regrettably and frequently as we bounced through the forest. We ran and stumbled until we were gasping and out of breath.

When we stopped to rest, we put the man down and were almost immediately attacked by a stout badger. I avoided the attack by falling over sideways when I tried to draw my new sword.

It was stuck in the sheath!

I was suddenly terrified that I had a magically cursed sword, but it turned out later that the troll blood on the blade had acted like glue in the scabbard. Cromwell shot several times at the badger, but unaccountably missed and Jenny ran screaming into the woods.

As I rolled continually to stay away from the enormous scarlet tongued, ivory fanged monster, Cromwell finally hit it with an arrow.

It went berserk! The arrow stood quivering in the hump of muscle ridging its back, and the badger lunged snarling at Cromwell. We were forced to flee from the ravening savage beast.

When we finally quit running, we search for and found Jenny.

Then we realized we’d forgotten the man. After searching with loud cries for a while, we discovered we had no idea how to find our way back.

We camped where we were for the night, and sipped some more of the wonderful elixir to heal our bruises and stave off the chill.

I’m tired, but volunteered for the first watch as the ground spins and moves magically when I lie down.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:56:32 pm)

Reply Day Seventeen

We are lost and my head aches badly.

The woods are loud and bright, with obscenely cheerful birds casting their maliciously raucous cries inconsiderately back and forth.

I feel sick and drained.

Something tastes like it crawled in my mouth and died.

Jenny feels badly too, but Cromwell remains silent except to say we need to save the healing potion.

I think we might have been poisoned by the well.

It is starting to rain a thin drizzling dropping. I’ll write more when I feel better.

- later. We all fell asleep during the rain, under several close fir trees which kept us warm and relatively dry.

When I awoke, the woods were quiet and the sky overcast.

Standing outside our clump of trees peering around, was a lean weather-beaten man. He had gaunt cheeks, one smoldering eye, and was dressed in an enormous wolf-skin. His hair was dark and lank, falling in irregular lengths around his head and shoulders. I’d been awakened by his loud sniffing!

He stepped closer and closer and I shifted carefully to keep him in sight. When I moved, my knee came down on a twig I hadn’t seen, which snapped. Quick as a flash of light, the man whirled and leapt into the dense trees.

I woke the others and described what had happened. Cromwell says that sounds like a were-wolf his grandfather had mentioned.

According to his grandfather, the wolf man eats children who stray from their parents in the woods. My hair truly stood on end.

We’ve decided to head north until we meet the river, keeping the Hellers at our right, and hope to hit the trail or the river that runs by Asmenfarmod.

What a miserable day.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 8:59:59 pm)

Reply Day Eighteen

Lost in heavy woods, very large trunks, tall, old trees. We haven’t seen anything but birds for hours.

– later. Found a spring next to a rock outcropping. Water seeps into the ground within a few yards. Mosquitoes and gnats heavy around here.

– later. Camping now. The woods remain heavy and it’s hot under the trees.

We found a skeleton. Cromwell thinks it might have been a Vile. The skull was pinned to a tree, about seven feet off the ground, by a short sword through the nose hole.

Jenny and I both screamed when we first saw it grinning out of the gloom. When I turned to run, I smacked my head on a branch. Through the stars and water in my eyes, I thought I saw a grey wolf.

We are camped a little off from the skull. By unspoken agreement we are leaving the short sword.

Speaking of short swords, I cannot understand what evil spirit convinced me in the storage room to choose an edged weapon. There were available clubs there. I’ll just have to be extra careful.

– later. Jenny killed something on her watch. Cromwell says he thinks it’s a Kobold. They are short as a Gnome, and very ugly with wof-like fangs. This one died easily.

Jenny says it just wandered into camp and seemed too weak to flee. It has no food, water or money. I hope we find the river soon.

peredhil31

(10/28/01 9:01:39 pm)

Reply Day Nineteen

Nothing but these over-grown trees.

Can’t even see the Hellers through the overgrowth.

Cromwell thought he saw the setting sun and marked the direction. Will try for the river again in the morning.

Jenny and I spent most the night talking. She says if I don’t tell anyone the Goddess Name I heard I’ll be just fine.

She wanted to know all sorts of things about how I felt. She says most men can’t even hear Her Names when spoken in front of them.

After I while, I was so lost in her eyes, I don’t even know what we were talking about.

I hope she never reads this!

peredhil31

(10/28/01 9:04:27 pm)

Reply Days Twenty and Twenty-one

Kinda behind on writing, sorry.

Yesterday was the same stuff.

Saw a giant wolf print, big as my hand, while gathering fallen wood. If that is the werewolf, I hope he’s lost too!

Today Cromwell killed a deer. Lucky shot through the trees. It was gaunt and has little meat.

We're almost out of water and I can't stop thinking about it. It's hot under these stupid old trees.

Jenny has one bag of water left.