Wyvern

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wyvern

Ahhh... but Yui. Arawn said he only submitted entries 11-12 of his journal as his contest entry. Surely you have time to read two posts? :) (and two very good posts they are, I might add)

Well... the contest deadline has passed. That's right people... no more entries will be accepted, so save yourselves the pain and effort of posting in this thread. If you began an entry, but didn't have time to complete it, feel free to post it in the Conservatory. I'd be more then happy to look over it and make comments. :)

Thus, the following mages are competing in the contest:

(in no particular order)

-Sokhar, CO

-Tzimfemme and Rydia

-Imposter

-Peredhil31

-Finnius

-Yui Temae

-The Big Pointy One

-Arawn

-Jonny Magic

Out of these 8 mages, each of whose entries truly reach the borders of literary perfection, only 3 will be chosen. I have read through all the entries carefully, and will reread all of them. In addition, I will get outside sources (i.e sources who know nothing about the writers of AM) to comment on which entries they think are the best. It's going to be a VERY difficult decision...

If you participated and have an entry in the contest yet I forgot to mention you in the list above, please inform me. I apologize if this is the case.

Winners will be announced the 30th.

Sokhar, CO

{sees his name on the list, and looks happy} Cool, I'm on top of the list! {reads "in no particular order", frowns} dang! Can't wait to see who wins, I know I can't compete with some of you people, but it will be interesting to watch the clash of the titans from inside the ring. Wyv, are you also going to post what songs were chosen to represent each mage? I definitely want to see that! {wonders what Arawn's song would be...} Probably "Gin and Juice"

Wyvern

Jonny Magic deleted his entry, thus I'm uncertain how I would be able to judge him in comparison to others. If Jonny would repost his old entry, then he would make the list.

Sokhar,

Rather then revealing the tracks myself, I'm going to have those that recieve the CD write up a little review for those that didn't get it. It's more fun this way.

Jonnymagic

<><><><>jonnymagic's reincarnation<><><><>

Hell's sky rumbled and the molten land shook in protest. The dome of fire was ripped open by the final 'Click! Click! Enter!' of a Netsurfer's Reincarnation Spell. The burning sky offered no protection against the Mari-Runes and so spread wide in a tattered echo of the Betagon. - The fabled constellation of nine stars beckoned through the rift at the moaning, expectant Souls suffering penance upon the blazing plain of punishment.

Gigabyte-bots screamed at P4 speed through the ragged tear and descended upon the lost Souls. Their beady little beholder eyes created bedlam as they raced about recognizing, and rejecting, the greedy. Instantly, they eliminated the merely agonized Souls to lumpen around the truely devastated.

*jonny grumbles at the shiny gnichtes and tries to drag his godstruck Soul away*

'This one will be chow for any old soldier', buzzed the bots...

'Still, with the proper counsel from some superior slighter,' the bots buzzed back, 'he might gain enough inner strength to apply in the dark for the army.'

'He's got just enough SoB in him to earn a spot among the Platoon of the Pale Peonies,' the back bots buzzed.

"I'LL TAKE THAT ONE!", a boom voiced its opinion.

*jonny climbs awkwardly, and reluctantly, onto the bots' bus back to Beta*

The tortured Soul was deposited upon a barren patch of land with pitchfork-wielding peasants, who swore they were milita.

*jonny turns to leave, but several spellbooks pelt down on him from out of a -blue- sky*

"JONNY, MAGIC IS THE KEY!", a boom declared, "LEARN EACH SPELL, SLOWLY BUILD A KINGDOM, and THEN...DESTROY IT!"

'Have I left Hell, or not???", jonny mumbled, but quickly opened a Spellbook as his 'milita' moved to intercept an incoming flight of Red Dragons!

OOC: Sorry, I understood your previous post to me to mean that you had already copied this from the board. If I'm too late...then I apologize.

Wyvern

As stated in my contest thread, on the 30th, a seperate thread was created stating the contest winners. Rather then creating a seperate thread for it again, I'm posting it in this archive. Here it is...

The Contest Winner's Thread:

Wyvern (06-30-2001)

And now, the moment you've all been impatiently waiting for...

Let's do things one at a time here...

First of all, I would like to thank everybody that participated in my contest. You guys have all got some serious talent, and I'm hoping that your contest entries will certainly not be the last of the creative writing you bless the UBBs with. Keep up the good work and continue supporting the AM UBBs. If I made this CD, it's mainly because of how great a community I think the AM UBBs are...

I would also like to thank everyone for being so patient with me. It was a fairly difficult contest for me to organize, and thus there was a great deal of confusion in the early stages of posting... With my numerous changes of questions and deadlines, it's really a miracle anybody participated in it! Jonny Magic particularly deserves a large apology on my behalf. I'm really sorry about all that confusion, and hope you can have sympathy for this poor overgrown lizard...

A big thanks goes out to The Pen is Mightier then the Sword, for encouraging me, helping me advertise the contest, and generaly supporting this project. I have a larger section of thanks for you guys inside the CD itself.

...Right...

The difficulty of holding a contest of this nature is that, no matter how well you justify your reasoning for the winners, there's always going to be someone that feels left out. I just want you all to know that this was a VERY difficult decision for me to make. It got to the point where I actualy had to get outside sources (people who like to read, but don't know AM) to comment on who they thought had the best writing. Just so that noone feels left out, I'm going to ask those who won a copy of the CD to write of a review for the others that don't get a chance to hear it. In addition, I'll be posting all of the CDs lyrics in the Poetry section of the Conservatory some time in the near future. Be on the look out.

O.K... here it goes:

First, a few words to the honorable runners-up of the contest:

-Sokhar, CO: I found "The Legacy" to be very interesting thus far. You mentioned you had the whole thing on a 10 page word document, well please post more! I'm waiting to see what happens next... The action, in particular, is very well narrated (Sokhar appears to be quite a skilled swordsman :P )

-Jonny Magic: lol... your's was probably the funniest of the various entries. I loved the idea of employing computer keys and gigabytes into Jonny's reincarnation. In addition, believe it or not, when the bot mentions "He's got just enough SoB in him to earn a spot among the Platoon of the Pale Peonies", it's kind of like an inside joke for me, since there exists a Guild under the initials S.o.B in which I've participated for quite a while. Don't feel shy about posting in the Conservatory. I'd love to read more of your stuff.

-Big Pointy One: I seriously admire your attempt at trying something different for a change. I enjoyed your haiku story immensely, it would make the Patron Saint of Haikus himself stare in awe. Speaking of which...

-Finnius: Hey buddy... you know I admire you. Most of the mages you listed that had an influence on you had an influence on me as well (except that terrible Wyvern guy :P ), so I can feel you. Very well written... Keep up the writing and soon you'll become one of the most well-known writers of the UBB. Trust me on this, I mean it.

-Peredhil31: Close, but no bannana. As always, your writing continues to amaze me. Hopefully, you'll still get a chance to listen to the CD since we'll be meeting up. ;)

-Arawn: Your Journal is undoubtedly some of the best stuff I've read on the UBBs... seriously classic, publishable material. You also ALMOST made the winners list... (read below)

...and now, it's my pleasure to announce the winners of the Chronicles of Terra Contest:

-Tzimfemme and Rydia: O.K people... let's face the facts. Half of the "Chronicles of Terra-Contest" thread was not entries, but rather people adding on tid bits to Rydia's cult ideas. :P Jechum, Fool, and Knight actualy added on to the cult ideas rather then making contest entries of their own... the cult bit was that good. In addition, just to make SURE she would win herself a copy, Tzim posted an additional response to Question #1, the story of her Sainthood. Bonus points for determination then... You just won yourself a CD.

-Imposter: How to put this... Imposter, that entry you made was absolute GENIOUS! I was probably the only entry more original then BPO's haiku story... I had never expected someone to write on Question #1 in such an abstract manner. It offered a very refreshing read... I particularly like your uses of outside sources in the analysis of Imposter. The writing shined through the text. Congrats, you're winner #2. :)

-Yui Temae: It was an incredibly difficult decision between this entry and Arawn's Journal entry. Both are absolutely superb. In the end, Yui's entry pulled through as the winner due to a few things:

1) The way it was introduced. Yui could have simply posted a quick link to her thread, but instead Aegon (who Yui's entry was addressed to) was the one that introduced Yui's entry in a brief story. I found this quite original.

2) In addition to being written excellently, Yui's entry is the only entry that uses artwork. They say "a picture's worth a thousand words." Once again, points for originality.

Congratulations Yui, winner #3. (P.S: you'll have to share with Aegon, since he's one of the reasons yours pulled through :P)

There you have it folks... the contest is over. If the winners could send me the addresses they wish for me to send the CDs to (over e-mail), I'll send them out as soon as possible. Once again, thanks everyone!

------------------

Sokhar, CO

Wyv, thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. I guess the 10-page comment was a bit misunderstood though. Just what I've posted so far is the equivalent of 10 pages in Microsoft Word, so it takes a while for me to get a chapter together.

Congradulations to all the winners, you've earned it.

Finnius

I'd like to congratulate Wyv on two things:

First, the excellent idea behind this contest. An idea so excellent, I'm thinking of stealing it... more on this later.

Second, the good job with deciding the winners. I can imagine how tough that must have been, and I fully approve of the winners.

But, yeesh. Me, as one of the most well-known authors on the boards? Creepy...

Ah, well, flatten me and you'll go nowhere. Or something like that. :D

Sokhar, CO

Originally posted by Finnius:

First, the excellent idea behind this contest.  An idea so excellent, I'm thinking of stealing it... more on this later.

{Sokhar's ears perk up at word of another contest} Hey, if you do one, I'm in for sure. I like this one, my only regret was I didn't have time to add the next part to "The Legacy". Then again, with the people participating in this contest, I doubt it would have made a difference. ;) Maybe we should do some kind of Youngbloods contest, for people, who's name isn't known to everyone on the boards. :)

Tyrion

Originally posted by Wyvern:

it's kind of like an inside joke for me, since there exists a Guild under the initials S.o.B in which I've participated for quite a while.

Come back!

We're trying to reunite the guild.

You could be general again :).

Wyvern

Finnius,

Of course, you realize if you do something of this nature, you'll have to call it "Volume 2" for legal purposes. ;p

Kidding, of course. ;) Please keep us posted.

Tyr,

Unfortunatly, I didn't quit S.o.B because it wasn't interesting to me anymore, I quit it because I was sick of the Blitz server and didn't have time to play on it. Now, I belong to a pretty exclusive Guild on Ager... (under the status "Pet".) :P

------------------

Wyvern

...almost a dragon.

Proud Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Saint of Terra; Patron of Parties.

Lover of Cheyenne.

Finnius

Oh, don't worry about anything like copyright infringement. I have my little blue keister all set legally.

Here's the deal: I fully intend to make and distribute a CD containing, among other things, an oral copy of "Ninja Bob" as read by... me! Some of the other things will, yes, be music, but not in any descriptive capacity. There may be several songs dedicated to several mages, but that will not be the point of said disc.

It may take a while to finish, as the person who is helping me out with it, mainly by burning the CD's, is leaving the state for several weeks. I also still have to figure out the form of the contest, the duration, etc., etc., etc.

If anyone has ideas as to what to put on the disc, or as to any of the contest information, feel free to e-mail me.

Yui Temae

Yui smiles warmly. "Wyvern, thanks for the kind words. I don't envy you the tough choices you had to make in this contest, and I'm certainly flattered that you thought mine stood out among so many very impressive entries. We both know that I owe Aegon a very, very big debt of gratitude for his part in my entry, and you can rest assured that he'll have free access to the disc.

"But more, I would like to ask your permission to go ahead with a little plan I've been nurturing all along. In all the excitement, we contestants seem to have forgotten the creative efforts of our contest-master. Wyvern, you've put time and effort into gathering the music of this CD, and I think that more people should be able to enjoy it than just we three."

As she is speaking, Yui wanders up to Wyvern, sets an arm over his shoulder, and softens her voice. The two of them start to walk away, whispering softly about the details of her idea...

((Look elsewhere, Wyv. I'll tell you the rest in private.))

Imposter

I tells ya, I'd rather go along with whatever idea yui has than trust a wyvern with my home address... those wyverns will do anything for money!

Impostor

man of constant sorrow

PS.: wyvern thanks for the contest, and thanks for letting me win

Wyvern

Yui,

E-mail me your ideas. ;) But whatever they may be, I owe you one of the copies. That's fair and square.

Imposter,

It's not like I'm going to abuse your address or anything. :P Believe it or not, I'm not half as bad as Wyvern in reality...

If you REALLY don't want to mail me your address, I suppose I'll just have to send it to Arawn. :P

Make up your mind quick. There's a reason I set that deadline, after all... ;)

Wyvern

Winners should be getting their copies any day now... :)

If you could send me an e-mail or post here after you've received your copy, it would take a great weight off my shoulders (I usualy don't trust customs :P )