The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Would like to join...

Guest Chris Stephens

Guest Chris Stephens

A young man wanders onto the boards out of pitch blackness, his eyes gleam a bright blue. He takes his seat in the recruitment office, and takes a purple "patience pill" to increase the amount of waiting time he will be able to endure .

You probably know me as Komputor from the boards, but my identity here (hopefully) will be Chris Stephens. I meant to apply earlier in the year but I was side-tracked, and now I am making that postponed application. Here is a sample of my abilities...

Jesse stood in the field amongst the tall weeds that had grown in it during the last few years. His mind kept playing tricks on him, for he thought he kept seeing flashes of light in the field. He checked his watch (it read 1:20) and struggled to remember the reason he was in the field. Multiple feelings and emotions swamped him at the same time- sleepiness and fatigue, fear and anxiety. Also, it felt as if an entity had taken control of his thoughts and his actions to add to his confusion; he felt like he was no longer in control of his body. Like a zombie, he walked through the field. The thought of the machine he was in only a couple hours before came to mind, how an electric display read "11.2 G" as he was spun around on the device. The thoughts of his wife, Katie, and his children, Ashley and Deon, came to mind. The "entity" that seemed to be controlling him dissipated as he took control of his senses to determine what was going on.

It was past midnight, and he was in a field- that was basically all Jesse knew. He searched for signs of life, for house lights, because there wasn't a field in 22nd century America that you couldn't see house lights from. To his dismay, Jesse saw none. He trudged through the tall grasses and ignored the urge to scratch his legs until his feet hit something hard. He was almost walking unconsciously, for he had hit a huge rock.

"What the..." Jesse began as he forced himself awake and studied what lay before him. He realized that what he had hit was not just a rock, but rather a huge tombstone. It seemed faded, but it read Jesse Kane, Born August 6, 2088, Died April 14, 2144. A sharp chill ran through his body, but he noticed more writing. He strained through and read, "One of Earth's bravest heroes, he will not be forgotten." The thought then struck him... how was he reading in pitch blackness? He quickly turned and noticed the moon... he stared in shock as the moon was only half of its normal size, a huge chunk seemed to have been ripped off of it or blown off of it somehow. With all the new discoveries in mind, he ran forward, hoping to find something that could help him explain what the hell had happened here.

After about an hour, he came to what appeared to be a tin shed. On the outside, the faded words "133-C" were written. As there seemed to be no activity around, he creaked open the door and peered inside.

To the left of the room was a desk, and there seemed to be many tables in the room near it. There was a computer terminal against the wall near the desk, which was what Jesse was most concerned with. He ran to the wall and, as the system was unfamiliar to him and didn't seem to have any type of "power" switch, he flipped every switch in the room. Nothign else seemed to work, either, until he came to a rather large switch on the far right of the room. He hit it- bright lights kicked on from above, a fusion power generator began humming in the back of the room, and the computer beeped and started up.

Infantry Training Base 133-C Password: came the beginning prompt. Jesse guessed at the password and miserably failed at his attempt to bypass the security protocols put in place by whoever was using the computer before him. "Damn! DAMMIT!" he thought as he tried the password that he used before he suddenly appeared in this field. Noodle.

Jesse typed in the password and the system started up. Jesse laughed as the system was based like systems before it... the same format had been used for a hundred or more years by his time. Operating systems had advanced much, but this was a very simple "click-style" computer, equipped with a mouse (ooc: mice aren't used in Jesse's times, if you didn't catch that). As he struggled with the device, he managed to open a file called "Log". This is what it read:

"Base Log, 11-9-2137. The Haikron are somehow managing to control peoples' minds with devices they possess. We are working to develop ways to counter the effect, as the devices they use work with radio frequencies- sadly, in the petahertz range, so we have very little experience with the high frequency. I'll update when we get more done. Jesse Kane clear.

WHAT THE...?! Jesse thought to himself. I'm seeing my future... I don't understand, what is this? What is happening? Why am I here? What happened to this place? Am I even on Earth? How did I die... or did I even? He began to read the next entry as he heard a loud crash against the metal that the building was made of. Jesse quickly found something to defend himself with when in walked Charles-Jesse Roberts... a friend that Jesse had met from his space exploration academy.

"C.J.?!" Jesse screamed. C.J. was about to scream the same to Jesse but he stopped himself. "What the... how did...?" At first, Jesse thought that C.J. was from the time frame that Jesse was in presently, but that idea soom came to change.

C.J. was shivering with fright. His pants looked wet, and he had a sweaty stench on him. "Jesse..." he began as he fell to the ground, crying. His back was bloody, and naturally Jesse walked over to help him up.

"What happened?" Jesse asked.

"I was being chased by something through a graveyard a couple minutes ago. When it saw the lights in here, it ran away in fear." C.J. was sobbing, and Jesse pulled a chair for him. "How did you get here?" he asked.

"You think I know? I ended up in a field and started walking. I found my tombstone back yonder." C.J. stopped his crying and looked over to the computer that Jesse was heading back to. "Anything good on it?" he asked.

"I found some log, but I'm going to try and find the date." Jesse clicked the "mouse" a few times and received the date... July 22, 2510. His heart skipped a beat and he almost fell to the floor because of it. "2510?!" he screamed. C.J. walked up behind him and saw the date and he, too, was shocked.

"How are we going to get back...?" C.J. asked...

GO KOMPUTER!

Hey man, hows it going?

Sorry about SFV Ultima, haven't been playing AM much lately, too much time spent on mp3s and video games...but I still find time for the boards.

Wyvern, if you ever get around to it, I second Deggy's move.

LET CHRIS IN!

Cioden Darkeye

Page of The Mighty Pen

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

Ashaman - WoT - Blitz II

Council - The Hunters - Blitz II

Leisure Officer - SFV Ultima - Beta

Melba sits and reviews the Komputer/Gas Tank days. As she reads, however, she notes a growing maturity in the young writer.

Taking him a glass of water to wash down the purple patience pill, she returns to her seat and picks up the next set of papers to peruse...

These Get Rich Schemes... She began cross-referencing them, highlighting the weaknesses of each in red. In amazement, she realizes with a bit of fixing, some of these might work!

If Wyvern weren't so unlucky, she could actually help him get rich... but would she want to?

Melba sat with narrowed eyes and played with her jewelled horn-rimmed half-glasses on chain as she thought about the idea of a wealthy boss.

Note: this is a continuation of the story posted as a response to Belizean's application as well as an acceptance.

Chris Stephens lays back calmly in his applicant chair, perfectly relaxed due to the effects of the purple 'patience pill' he had taken earlier... Or so he thought...

You see... the truth is that the relaxation experienced after having taken the pill was solely in his mind, and the small purple object he had swallowed earlier was by no means a 'patience pill'. It was, in fact, an 'animal attraction pill', often taken by Verdant mages when searching for rare species of animals in desolate locations...

Chris stretches back in his chair and yawns calmly as Melba vigorously jots down notes on how she might be able to exploit Wyvern's schemes and use them to her advantage. After a moment of silence, the almost secretary decides to take a short restroom break and heads towards the office toilet facilities...

Now alone in the office room, Chris smiles calmly to himself, wondering when his application will be processed and contemplating on how peacefull the Pen can be in it's utter silence and tranquility...

But all tranquility must come to an end... and a rhinoceros suddenly crashes through the office window and charges at Chris. The rhino is followed by an enormous panther, a viscous looking warthog, a cheeta, and a huge variety of other animals. Chris jumps out of his chair and screams at the top of his lungs as the animals begin jumping at him and fondeling him with affection...

Around the same time that this is happening, Melba opens the door to the toilet facilities only to find that it's currently occupied by a baboon. In opening the door, she also accidentaly bumps a skunk, which gets offended and procedes to spray her with it's scent. Melba screams and turns to run, but not before three squealer monkies attach themselves to her hair and begin screeching and relentlessly pulling at it. The terrified secretary quickly runs back to the office while at the same time desperatly trying to remove the squealers from her head. When she finally manages to get to the office, she stops and stares in utter amazement. The once tranquil and empty room was now filled with all different species of animals... there were so many animals currently in it that it seemed impossible to enter! From outside the office door, Melba notices that several goats are on the top of her desk, and are happily chewing on her notes and documents. She turns her head as she hears a faint scream come from below a huge pile of animals where the chair for applicants had once been. It was the applicant Chris' scream....

Before Melba can manage another scream, the office room is filled with a strange blue gas from a source coming from outside the broken office window. After a few minutes, the animals begins to lose interest in Chris and depart the room from the direction which they came. The squealer monkies also jump off Melba's head and join the flock of other animals.

Left in the office room is a pale Chris, who is twitching and flinching on the ground, and a stunned Melba. After a few minutes, Wyvern enters through the broken window wearing a gas mask and holding a gas pump and engine. Upon entering the office, he undose his mask and carefully helps Chris to his feet. Looking sheepishly at Chris, Wyv takes out an application and stamps it 'ACCEPTED', afterwards handing it to him and murmering apologeticly "Sorry for the minor inconveniences..."

Wyvern then exits the office from the front entrance, passing Melba on the way out and handing her several documents before striding rapidly down the hall...

OOC: A good application, Chris. Accepted. I particularly liked the way you set up a mysterious setting for the course of the action in the story... it intrigued me to read further. Good job, I look forward to seeing you post with us.

[image]http://www.legion-whiterose.com/signatures/aoa/wyv.gif[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Guest Chris Stephens

Thanks for the support, and thanks to Wyvern... it took me a little while to get it flowing, but after the first few minutes it all came to me.

Melba, your comment about my growing maturity really touched me. Nobody has ever seemed to notice it (except myself)... so thanks

Well, I've got to get to writing!

Edited by: Chris Stephens at: 11/22/01 6:49:27 pm