To make way for a new generation.

Xradion,

The Horny Druid,

Scholar of the Ancient Arts,

Holder of the Eye of Odin.

"The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."

-Wallace Stevens

"When at home, do as the Homans do." –Xradion

So what was so great about our old social norms? Knowledge is power - but that knowledge sure didn't head off this disaster.

But what is this disaster? Again, knowledge is power. But the heady sensual experiences of the body can be so overpowering, so seductive. Many learn too late the consequences of ill conceived debauchery.

Doing and being. One must maintain a balance. Right action and right oppenness come from right knowing. I'm glad you're waiting till you have some semblance of the whole story.

Nicely phrased word work, btw.

~Zool~

Ancient, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Bard of Terra, Patron Saint of Aspiring Bards.

Elder than dirt, more foolish than a jester, able to trip over the smallest logic in a single step. It's... Oh, you know.

Guest Xradion

Actually, when I referred to social norms, I wasn't talking so much about old-school puritanical norms as I was the old romantic conception of love. I guess that's a flaw in the poem, though, that I will need to fix. I've never quite been comfortable with that line.

I completely agree with you about sexual education. Studies have shown that people who are better informed about sex (including, of course, the consequences) tend to engage in sexual activity at a later age, and tend to have longer, more meaningful relationships. And this is totally not what I was criticizing in the poem.

I think that it was watching clips of Spring Break on late night TV when I was bored one night that set me off. I personally have no problem with the conception of sex of the 1960s, credited as being the glory days of free love. Back then, there was at least a certain innocence to it. And there was an idea of shared love, but not in a "Brave-New-World-esque" type way. It seems that nowadays, a lot of people have this attitude of "yeah, I'm gonna get some ass!" This is what is disgusting to me. The whole idea of looking at another human being as nothing more than a sexual object. There's nothing wrong with "getting a lot" in my opinion. It's just the idea of the act not having any meaning beyond the physical that disturbs me.

Xradion,

The Horny Druid,

Scholar of the Ancient Arts,

Holder of the Eye of Odin.

"The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."

-Wallace Stevens

"When at home, do as the Homans do." –Xradion