No matter how hard I try.

I swirl the colors, twist words,

But its all the same by and by.

My life is an allusion-

Won't someone set me free?

I need some reassurance

That I am really truly me.

Guest Katiya Damodred

::makes a sniffly sound:: Wow, that was some scary arse stuff...thinking that we're not original and never can be b/c we're doomed to roam an already traveled path...::shivers slightly:: But I love the poem, totally awesome. Keep up the good work, Ras!

Image by FlamingText.com

Guest Xradion

I like it. I myself have often pondered the possibility that there is no such thing as truly original thought (which I have ultimately dismissed). But I console myself by thinking that variation on the same themes is often times just as interesting (if not more so) than coming up with new themes. You can't re-invent the wheel every time you need to build a land vehicle. But you CAN improve on an old design. For example, all tragedies have the same basic themes, and you pretty much know the ending (everyone dies), but that doesn't in any way diminish Shakespeare's insight into the human experience.

At any rate, nice job.

P.S.: Allusions? Allusions?! Mwahaha! Check out the parallel structures of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and William Shakespeare's The Tempest. In fact, the name of Brave New World is a line right out of the Tempest. In The Tempest, Prospero's Daughter expresses her awe at the realization of the existence of a broader world than the little microcosm Prospero has confined her too. In Brave New World, this line has quite the opposite feeling, in a bitingly ironic criticism of an authoritarian dystopia in which people have lost their fundamental humanity, their passion. Also, notice the seeming similarities between Prospero and Mustapha Mond, or John the Savage with a strange combination of Caliban and Miranda.

Miranda. O, wonder!

How many goodly creatures are there here!

How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,

That has such people in ’t! Act V, scene I

The Savage stood looking on. "O brave new world, O brave new world…" In his mind the singing words seemed to change their tone. They had mocked him through his misery and remorse, mocked him with how hideous a note of cynical derision! Fiendishly laughing, they had insisted on the low squalor, the nauseous ugliness of the nightmare.

Now, suddenly, they trumpeted a call to arms. "O brave new world!" Miranda was proclaiming the possibility of loveliness, the possibility of transforming even the nightmare into something fine and noble. "O brave new world!" It was a challenge, a command.

Just thought I’d point that out to anyone interested in allusions. Good college paper topic. I love comparative lit. Yesssssss!!!!!!!! Oh well. Brave New World has some good ideas, but it’s not nearly as well written as 1984 by George Orwell. Catch you next time.

Xradion,

The Horny Druid,

Scholar of the Ancient Arts,

Holder of the Eye of Odin,

"The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."

-Wallace Stevens

"When at home, do as the Homans do." –Xradion