The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Dueling Club

Guest ntraveler2

Guest ntraveler2

I'm sure y'all know about threads like these. ProfessorGravy's "Jousting Tourney" is a prime example, and AMRR, and maybe "The Temple of the Maelstrom". Unlike PGravy's thread, however, I will make this open for all, without any judges or scores, governed only by the will of the majority and comon sense.

A brief explanation for all of you who don't know. To be fair, I've heard a lot of arguments telling me and other people that dueling is only quasi-RPing. I, frankly, have no opinion. Dueling is fun, and it is worth a shot.

To participate, you first create a character and post it here. It can be a newly made-up character or it can be one from a previous story/poem you wrote. Write a brief description of the character's appearance, race/gender, skills, magical knowledge, etc, and alignment (if applicable, and please no crap about how there can be no absolute god or evil since the world is complicated blah blah blah. I've tried arguing that, and I've tried to get RPing to become more complex like the 'real world'. It doesn't work. Very few P's or GM's are willing, and neither am I.). Then, when a couple of people have done this, you can fight anyone using the following procedure.

1. You post a challenge to some person.

2. If the person accepts, that person gets to post an attack. (example: Darktooth drew his scimitar, gave a blood-curdling yell, and began to hack insanely at Daisy.)

3. Then, you get to post a defense/counterattack (example: Daisy leapt lightly aside and used a basic aikido move to redirect Darktooth's momentum from his charge, and his face plowed into the mud on the ground. Daisy then cast the deathly spell of Flower Power...)

4. That person posts another defense/counterattack, etc etc and it goes on and on until the battle comes to a conclusion.

This is a purely one-on-one form of combat, and it is fun and entertaining. There are some rules, both spoken and unspoken, to help make it even better.

1. NO GOD MODING. It is not fun at all when someone pretends to be an omnipowerful super-character like...(example: Daisy touched the ground with her sacred Tulip of Doom, and the earth shook and a massive earthquake and volcanic uprising utterly destroyed Darktooth's attack and the earth and flames consumed him until he turned into a little pile of ashes.) This is not cool. God moding is the source of much bitterness in such threads, and is to be avoided like the bubonic plague.

2. LEAVE SOME WEAKNESSES, WHETHER EXPLICITLY STATED OR IMPLIED. This is pretty much self explanatory...

3. NO CHAMELEON MODING. If you set your character's powers to be a certain thing, then stick to it. Don't have, say, a forest druid suddenly cast necromantic Death spells, or have him cast Hellfire of Utter Destruction And Flames out of nowhere. But you could have a water mage cast ice spells, since ice is a logical extension of water. But fire spells or death spells aren't logical extensions of druidic powers.

I will add more later, but this should pretty much nail things down.

Enjoy!!

-posted by ntraveler2, scholar/storyteller, the Voice of the Prophets, and renegade from the dying AMBB

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

Right, well, I didn't want to be the first to post; I was hoping to see who else got in before I. I'm rather interested in your idea, Ntraveler, and would be eager to begin.

I shall be playing the esteemed lord Sethryn Exidious. His character profile is in the Greenroom, so if you want more detail, go there. Seth is a nobleman and a gentleman; he prides himself on his honor, reputation and mannerism. Seth has a great dislike of magics, and so he weilds a deadly rapier, which is conceiled within his cane, he is also armed with a pistol, and he studies the art of alchemy, so you can imagine the fun he will have with that. Seth doesn't wear armour, for the simple fact that it would clash with his formal attire, and wouldn't fit his style; also, he believes, "you only wear armour if you intend on getting hit, I have no such intention." Seth doesn't care for combat as such, he avoids as best he can, but when he can't, he likes a nice clean fight, and he will not tolerate dishonorable characters, nor questionable conduct. Though a man of God, he will not hesitate to go to fisticuffs with any who deserve it.

There you are, let's see what this brings, shall we? Actually, I think that a nice bout with a fighter would be most pleasurable. Seeing as Seth posses no magic, it would, perhaps, make for a more interesting battle to have the noble clash steel with another nonmagical cmbatent; though, we shall just have to see.

battle? I choose you fountain! heh, sorry couldn't resist...

Foutain: Apathic character with a green glowing ball named bally in his head.(can only be seen at moments of great stress) Bally acts as concious, guilde, friend, void(see WOT) and all around vampire D mutant parasite hand type relationship thing... Was put in his head by a yogu enthused ex-girl friend. Prodogy of Revery the dreamlost... Though as to what revery teaches the lad, no one is really sure, sense he seem to be have none of revery's powers...

Sex: Male

Race:Human

Alignment: Good/In favor

Magic: Dumb Luck, Bally induced moodswings. some very specilized summoning skills(see abilities)

Skills: some skill with a quarter staff, spear, pike and or raven's beak, minor scholar in alchemy. Does scribe work on the side.

Armor: chain mail, lots of chain mail...Hero's weave extra thick... enchanted by revery to be extra light, self-repairing(given enough time), waterproof, rust proof and lightening proof...

Cloths: well oiled boots... Green Coat or jerkin... depending on the occasion...

Special Abilities:

Can summon a former living breathing ghost castle named 'castle' as a place of refuge and or portal/way point thingy...

*note: 'castle' is imbued with the personality of a small cute, loveable dog. or i guess that make it a ghost dog now. oh whatever...

Can summon: Revery the dreamlost for advise beyond the scope of bally much like a obewon konobe sorta thing..., but better not cause I'm on vacation.

Guest ntraveler2

Race: basal Thrallkind (a species enslaved by many different magicians, spawned by thrallseed, which is made by fusing the genetic material of several different creatures...they have black purple oily skin, twisted muscles/any number of limbs (some have two arms, some have three, etc), black eyes...they also generate mana at a fast pace, which makes them ideal mana sources...)

Height: 5'4"

Weight: 120 lbs

Abilities:

OOC: I will post more later, must go to class now