The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Halls of the Ancients

Falcon2001

Guest ntraveler2

"King of magical knowledge?"

Rat's eyes glinted suddenly, and he smiled grimly.

"There is no such thing. You can only search and find knowledge through inanimate things, and sources of mana. What I sought was simple learning, since I have a penchant for exotic and foreign magicks, and I was on a solo trip to learn something of this area. I just happened to have unpleasant visitors on the way, and I landed up here. I know something of the assassin trade, and some knowledge of the arcane arts. I can be of help if you will accept me as a part of your party, and I am indebted to you."

He bowed to the other two.

"So, my lords, shall we investigate this area further? Or shall we leave?"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

OOC: Give me a freakin’ break!!! Are you joshing me?! You’re going to make things difficult for me, aren’t you, Ntraveler? I’m really going to have to watch for those little typing errors of mine, aren’t I? No matter.

Just one thing before I begin here. Gyrfalcon has contacted me and told me that he is going to be away for a time, so don’t wait on his posts. As such, he has asked me to keep his character moving and up to speed in the plot; so I’ll be driving the good ranger for a time; though, as little as possible. Right, I’ll continue on then.

IC:

Seth stood before the little man known as Rat, his hands resting on his cane’s pommel before him. Gyrfalcon, however, had begun to employ his vast knowledge and skill as a ranger as he went about inspecting the various caves leading from the chamber in which they all now stood, looking for one that seemed to lead down and towards where he suspected Falcon and Stick had fallen.

“My dear Rat, if you wish to join our little group there a few things we must get straight. Firstly, this really isn’t our quest. You see, Gyrfalcon and I are simply aiding a friend of ours in his quest – the details of which shall remain unknown to you for the time being. This friend and another of our little party were separated from us, regretfully, and as it stands, our main focus is to locate them, and ensure their well-being, you agree, Gyr?”

The ranger continued upon his investigation without looking up. “Quite right, Seth.”

That should also answer your question. We must continue onward in search of our friends, and cannot tarry to explore these caves. That bring sup another point you should know. This is not our journey, as I’ve stated before, therefore, when and if we locate the others you will have to answer to Falcon, the gentleman heading this expedition, as to whether you shall continue along with us or not. I shall fill you in on the more important events of our journey when we start to venture forth again.” Throughout the whole of the lord’s speech Rat stood blank faced, nodding now and again.

“Now, that leaves only one more thing.” Seth leaned in close to Rat, looking him straight in the eye. Far off behind the two, Gyrfalcon smirked, as he knew what Seth was about to do. A shadow came over Seth’s face, and he spoke in a soft, low tone.

“I don’t care for the use of magiks. Nor do I care for those who wield such powers, with the exception of a few friends. Also, you are a stranger, and that is yet another strike against you. Although I am a man of God, I swear to Him, I will not hesitate to strike you down where you stand if you, in anyway, deceive or betray us. Do I make myself clear?”

Rat smiled. “Perfectly.”

“Grand!” Seth straightened himself once more, the shadow passed from his face and again his eyes twinkled with his usual good nature. “Well, I look forward to adding you to those select few magi that I do call friend,” Seth said with a warm smile. “Shall we?”

Gyrfalcon had made his way back to the two as they made ready to leave. He gave an amused wink to Seth.

“Well, Gyr, we should make haste now, I think; we’ve wasted quite enough time. I think we should take this tunnel here.” Seth strode over to a smaller opening in the wall and looked into the pitch black. “I’ve just got a feeling about it.” He took a match from his pocket, struck it, and held it aloft to look down the tunnel. “Yes, definitely this one.”

Gyrfalcon stepped up beside the noble.

“Would you drop your match, please, Seth?” Gyr asked.

Puzzled Seth complied and dropped his small light. Expecting it to land on the stone floor and extinguish, he was quite surprised as he watched the flame fall far below into an abysmal pit and fizzle from sight.

“Oh my!” was all Seth could exclaim.

“I suggest that we take that tunnel there, “ he said pointing to one of the larger tunnels just off to the side, a grin creasing his face.

“As you see fit, Gyr; you know these things better than I, obviously.” Seth said, a slight tone of embarrassment in his voice. He slunk off past the ranger to where his bag sat on the ground.

Rat, in the mean time, had strolled over to the entrance of the cave Gyrfalcon had suggested and took in every detail. He placed his hand on the cool stone and felt around for a time. Closing his eyes he gave a short sniff of the air and turned back to the other two men.

“ Good choice,” he stated matter-of-factly. “ I’d quite agree with you.”

Seth gave a cough, trying to regain face. “Good, if that’s settled, we should go.

And so it was that the company set off once again, with new comrade in tow. Gyrfalcon the ranger took up the lead, the distinguished lord Sethryn Exidious occupied the heart of the group, and taking up the rear was the newest member, the mysterious Rat. As they marched Seth regaled Rat with some stories of their expedition up to this point; the first ambush by those masked men, Seth’s separation from the group, Gyrfalcon interjected his bits of Falcon’s battle with the vampire lady, and his fall with Stick which separated the group again, Seth then took up the tale with his meeting with the goblins and his rescue by Gyrfalcon. Rat walked on absorbing all of this will mild interest, not uttering a sound. And so they moved on, going deeper and deeper still into the depths of the earth, not knowing what lay ahead of them, nor what the fate of their companions had become.

OOC: There you have it. Let’s see where that leads us, hum? Carry on.

• 2 months later...

OOC: I'm back! And Seth, it's William Azunost heading this

IC: William trudged ahead, step by step in monotonous regularity. A single flame bobbed ahead of them, but William paid it no heed, as it barely lit the passageway they walked down.

Stick and he had been bound at the wrists with a strong cord-like substance and had their legs loosely tied with the same stuff, preventing them from running but allowing them to walk. A spearhead in the small of his back continuously reminded him of his placement, but the weight of the Sword of Roses at his side puzzled him.

I wonder what the deal is? Why didn't they take my sword? he wondered silently.

The tunnel they trudged through seemed to be carved out of the rock by hand, as evidenced by the scrapings everywhere. This is going to get worse before it gets clear, I'm willing to bet.

After several hours of walking, William detected a breath of fresh air from up ahead. Finally rousing himself from his inward musings, he looked up and was immediately shocked.

They had walked into a gigantic cavern, easily a mile long and a half-thousand feet high. About a hundred feet or so ahead of them a gigantic bonfire was lit on a small mound of rock, and several of the people that had captured them were clustered around it, strange carved masks still on. As the group drew near, they all fell silent and stared at the two outsiders.

William and Stick were seated on a stone bench in front of the fire and their bonds cut, much to their surprise. Their captors didn't speak a word, but went about their business with a speed and efficiency that spoke of good training. As they sat rubbing their injured wrists, a soft, ancient voice echoed out from across the fire.

"Who are you, strangers, and why do you trespass on the lands of the Kardaq?"

An old man, bent with age, approached the fire. William's eyes widened momentarily in shock at the pointed ears and silver hair of an elf, realizing these must be a tribe of Drow. He rose, then bowed to the elder.

"My name is William Azunost, and me and my companion had fallen from a great height and had somehow survived the fall. We were merely victims of chance."

"Nothing is chance, my son. Why else would one bearing the mark of the Seraph come to our village wielding the Sword of the Heavens?" The elder came closer, and William realized his eyes were pearly white, and he was most likely blind.

He sighed. "That...is a very long story."

• 3 weeks later...

Stick barely noticed as he was bound and led down a series of tunnels until eventually they made it into a giant cavern. Normally he'd be greatly intrigued, but he was too tired to notice. Each time he blinked, a longer period of time elapsed. He had never felt this drained before. He almost regretted expending so much energy at once. Stick just wanted to sleep right now. He blinked again someone was talking to William. Something about seraphs. Another long blink, and there was just silence. He looked over to his travelling companion, smiled, and passed out.

OOC: Sorry, rather formless, but I'm not really sure what to add right now :P