The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Halls of the Ancients

Falcon2001

William Azunost, Lord of Rhadeon and the lands surrounding it, Master Swordsman in the style of the Bat, and Mage of unsurpassed skill...

...Was quite lost.

"DAMNIT!" He yelled, kicking at a nearby rock. He had been wandering through these damnable tunnels for hours looking for a wine cellar that Falcon had pointed him toward. Suddenly he remembered that the bottle Falcon was swinging around was suspiciously light and empty...

Damn.

Up ahead he heard a loud crumbling sound and instantly he had his longsword out of it's scaled blue scabbard and into his hands, it's point directed at the sound that had alerted him.

"Hmm, I wonder what this is," he wondered to himself while walked forward through the hole that he found ahead of him. "I'm faintly surprise...sweet mother of Orlan!"

He found himself in a hall of unearthly beauty and ruins. "Sweet tap-dancing christ, this place is just like the Ruined City from Final Fantasy III!" he said, then walked onward.

He eventually came to the room where sunlight filtered in through the lake next the The Pen, and he stopped, awed by the sight.

OOC: I saw LotG's post in the Rooms thread, and I thought I might as well start an RP on the idea, as he isn't very writing-ish anymore, probably really busy. If you don't want me to, LotG, tell me and I'll have someone delete it, but in the meantime...post away everyone, let's explore this place and add a treasure to the Pen!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

Seth stepped through the ancient doors and into the past. He had over heard a conversation between Falcon and William of an old wine cellar. Hope was lit in Seth that he may finally get his hands on a rare bottle of Carne, 1787; an excellent year.

He stooped low as he ducked the cobwebs, and stepped unto the dust covered floor. "Hum! This had better be the finest wine ever pulled from the vine." He readjusted his spectacles and strode off into the gloom.

Glancing to the floor he took in another set of footsteps. "William's, not doubt," he muttered to himself; though, he gripped his cane a little tighter.

He strolled through the halls, glancing over his shoulder more than once, and checking around all corners before proceeding. Occasionally he would nervously lick his lips and stroke his moustache. But onward he went, every now and again coming on those footsteps coming from another corridor. Finally, at one point, he came upon the small stream of water running down the middle of the track. Actually, you may say he stumbled upon it. " Blast! Of all the stupid...!!" were the curses that followed the loud splash as Seth's patent leather sunk in the cold, dark waters. And so he turned and walked along side the waters.

At his side, embedded in the soft moss, was the other set of footprints. As he went along, Seth reached up and ran his hand along the stone wall. "How countless are the years that these halls have sat unwalked? How greatly numbered are the days since last these walls have echoed with the voices of wisdom and art that once resided here?" These were the thoughts that gripped Seth's mind as he walked along.

A shadow passed along the way, from out of a doorway up ahead, and snapped Seth from his thoughts. His step faltered, and he stopped. He drew his sword from his cane shaft, and slowly walked forward, point held forward. Seth peered round the corner, and then stepped full into the room. It was tinted with a dancing blue light, and before a great window stood the silouette a man, just standing thoughtfully. "Hullo?" Seth voice skipped for but a moment and he regained his composure. The figure turned, and Seth could see his face now.

"Seth! Unexpected surprise. What brings you here?"

"Truth be told, William," Seth said with a low bow to his comrad. "The prospect of fine wine, actually," a grin creased under his moustache. "So those are you'r foot steps, eh? You had me wondering. Kind of erratic, though."

"You could say I've taken the long tour," William said, returning Seth's smile.

Seth stepped up beside William, before the window, and gazed out into the shimmering blue. Both stood in silent wonder for a time. "So..." Seth turned to William. "Come across any wine racks?"

William looked around warily, as he still believed that SOMETHING other than him and then almost screamed.

Stick stood there in a bathrobe with a newspaper tucked under one arm, staring at them blearily with a glass of water in one hand.

"What the hell...I knew it, all that alcohol last night...I'm seeing things." Stick muttered. He waved at Seth and Will irritably. "Go 'way, hallucinations, I don't have time for you right now."

Will narrowed his eyes irritably and mutered a few curses. "Stick, it's really me. Will. Falcon's friend."

Stick narrowed blurry eyes. "Why it is! And that's really Seth, eh?"

Seth bowed and they all sat down, while William summoned a few glass bottles of soda for them all. After their mutual thirst was quenched, they all got to talking.

"So Stick," asked Will, "What are you doing down here?" Seth nodded along with him.

Stick stretched out.

"That, my friends is a long story."

• 1 month later...

As William stood there admiring the view, there was a loud thud and some swearing behind him. Turning, he saw Gyrfalcon wander in, his green cloak billowing and rubbing his head where it collided with a stalactite. He turned to Cioden, who was following Gyr to say something, but suddenly his sixth sense tingled and he spun to the left, his sword flashing out of the scabbard.

Right where he was standing, a long trail of acid hit the wall and starting hissing as it dissolved the solid rock. William spun, his eyes narrowed and his sword at the ready.

In front of him stood a large being wrapped in two huge black wings that slowly unfolded at William watched. The body beneath rippled darkly with muscles underneath a black leathery skin. It's arms were easily as large as tree branches, and they ended in large claws that looked like they could easily slash through solid steel. Venom dripped from discolored fangs set in rows inside the beast's mouth, and it's eyes were green and malevolent, deepset in the creature's head. Two stunted horns grew from the top of it's head and the wings were thick and leathery like a bat's. When it spoke, it's voice struck fear deep into the hearts of all those present, even Cioden, who was at home in the darkness more than the light.

"Mwahaha! Your souls are mine, now! I, Yalg, daemon of the abyss, will knock you all down!" The daemon had barely finished it's speech before Gyr had his longbow out and had three arrows spinning toward the daemon. At the same time, William spun his sword back into his side scabbard and pulled Nightshade out of his back scabbard, whispering to it. Cioden grimaced and splayed his fingers out towards the daemon. Black flames leapt from his fingertips to strike the beast, and William leapt forward with Nightshade burning pure white in the dark cavern.

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

Seth found himself in the midst of a torrent of happenings. New people had entered the chambers, and, in the midst of it all, a great daemon stood. Blades flashed and bows twanged. Seth stagered back against the desk before he coudl take in all that had happened.

"I just wanted some wine," stuttered Seth as William leapt over his head. "Well, Lord keep us!" Seth drew his rapier and slipped his cane shaft to his side. The engravment of a cross on the silver shaft blazed with a white fury as Seth stepped forward.

Reaching into his coat pocket Seth drew a small silver heirtrigger pistol which gleamed as he took aim. "I cast thee out!!!" Seth thundered as he shot. His voice resinated with the explosion of the gun, and Seth's features were lost in a cloud of black powder smoke. Square between the wings the bullet struck, and the beast reared in pain, arching it's back and flailing wildly.

The others advanced on the hell spawn and struck with deadly aim and passion. The creature made a wide swing with a clawed hand and sliced naught but air. It's clawed feet set wide on a growing pool of black wreaking blood that poured from it's back wound. Seth descended the platform and brought his blade back for a coupe.

Ooc: If it helps the battle move on better, feel free to play Seth a little.

The daemon was wounded by the bullet, but not fatally so, and it whirled and grabbed Seth, lifting him high into the air.

"Foolish mortal, your time on this world is done!" he flung Seth at the nearest wall and spun quickly to deflect a mighty blow by Gyrfalcon. Luckily William was in Seth's way and broke his fall, but they both hit the wall hard. At about the same time, Cioden growled and cast out his arms, his eyes squinted shut.

"Angel Beam!" he cried, and suddenly a huge beam of light shot from the space between his arms to hammer into the beast's exposed side. The huge black daemon went flying across the room to land heavily against a steel-bound door, breaking it wide open. Cioden and Gyr both bounded through the doorway after it.

They stood on a large round stone platform surrounded by a pit on all sides. Below them, huge fires burned. From time to time, the fires would flare up into pillars of flame arcing over the stone platform. Gyr suddenly remembered something and shouted to Cioden "It's the Pen's heating system! We're in the main heating duct!"

The daemon grinned hideously. "Your pathetic lives end here, and the treasure of the ancients will forever belong to my dark master!" with that, he growled and bounded toward the pair like a huge dog, albeit one from the deepest pits of hell.

"Begone!" cried Cioden as he pummeled the beast with magic fire. The beast's charge however, carried it through the flames and straight into Cioden, knocking him to the edge of the stone platform. Below, flames licked hungrily upward as if reaching out for an offering. The daemon drew his misshapen leg back for the final kick, but instead it howled in pain as Gyrfalcon's katana cut deep into it's exposed back as he ran past. The daemon spun around, but then quite suddenly was distracted by a motion near the doorway.

"Nay, Daemon, our rightful treasure shall be ours!" Standing sillouetted in the doorway, sword burning with black flames, William Azunost, Lord of the lands of Radea had arrived. He swept the sword like a brand, back and forth as if to ward off a spiderweb in a darkened passage. "The treasures of our forefathers shall be ours, and none shall stand in our way! No begone, beast, lest I destroy thee and send thy broken remains back to thy master with my signature engraven on them!" Nightshade erupted into argent flames, and one could almost see a second person superimposed over William, a person with bright white wings and eyes like thunder at midnight.

The daemon growled and leapt at the hated being with the burning sword, but William swung Nightshade and drove the monster back. Cioden walked over to stand beside his friend, and so did Gyr, all of them intent on the giant black creature across from them.

"Now I drive thee from the land with the power of the righteous, and thou shalt see the true weakness of thy being. Lo! for the morning sun has come, and with it your last breath, foul beast. Now come and taste cold steel, for it is a fitting last supping for one such as thee!" William leapt forward, his flaming sword sweeping toward the Daemon with deadly accuracy. The beast growled and blocked the sword with a huge clawed hand. William looked back at his friends. "Leave, friends! Leave for your sanity's sake. Leave for thy own sake!" He cried, pressing forward against the razor sharp claws with his argent sword.

Cioden nodded once and swept out of the room. Gyrfalcon made as if to say something, but was stopped by a harsh glance from William. "GO! Go now, or thou might not have a life to look for'ard to!" Gyrfalcon sheathed his sword, bowed, and left, creating a magical barrier on his way out. Outside, Cioden was sitting on the floor meditating and replinishing his mana supply. Gyr looked at him.

"What's going on in there?"

Cioden looked at him shrewdly. "That wasn't the William we all know, that was something more...but I feel that it has been there all along. I trust in it's ability to slay the daemon."

Gyr just looked at the door, as he heard clashing sounds coming from within.

William slammed into the magical barrier and slumped to the floor. Within seconds, the beast was on him, vicious claws seeking a vital organ, but the sword flared brighter and William staggered to his feet, growing stronger in the white glow.

The daemon looked at him hungrily, and William stared back with eyes that were both his and not quite his. Silently, he ran forward and slashed downward, but this time the sword found flesh instead of bony claw. The daemon screamed painfully as the sword burned it's way through it's arm, sizzling and cauterizing the flesh immediately on it's way through. It's hand gone, the beast spun to attack again, but stopped with his claw an inch from William's throat. The daemon coughed and then black blood bubbled out of it's mouth to drip acidly on the stone floor, then white flames flared through. William stood with the deadly sword up to the hilt in the beast for what seemed like an eternity, then stepped back, leaving the beast standing, somehow still barely alive.

"Thy body is torn, and thou art beaten, foul creature. Return to your creator and tell him that the Hand of Light has risen again, and now no evil shall go unchecked." William flared up then, and the blurry image around him flashed into reality for a brief second. Blonde hair flashed above white eyes and pale red lips, and two blinding white wings sprouted from his shoulderblades. Then William was himself again, and the beast toppled slowly backwards into the pit, falling end over end into the fiery abyss as the flames leapt up to meet it. William resheathed the now-black sword, and staggered toward the doorway, opening it with a word.

Gyr looked over quickly as Will stumbled through the door. He made it three steps, and then fell to his knees and then the ground, unconcious. Gyr and Cioden quickly knelt to pick him up, flipping him right side up, but as they righted him they almost dropped him.

Upon his forehead, where once was only pale, unmarked flesh, now there was a starkly black image engraven on his smooth skin. Two wings and a human form, with a sword held hilt-up in his two hands. The entire image was without detail and rather small, but it was strangely illuminated in the dark cave.

And there will be one touched by the Light, and he shall become the carrier for the Hand of the Light, and the sign shall be the mark of the Angel

Stick slowly makes his way back up towards his room, not quite sure how he got down here in the first place when suddenly he hears the sound of combat. He snaps out of his half-daze and concentrates for a split second, placing his hands on the stone wall to his left. He channels the slightest bit of energy through the wall, sensing that his friends are indeed in danger. Dropping his paper and drink he rushes up the tunnel to the cool morning air. The frost on the blades of grass tickle his feet as he rushes through The Pen's large courtyard towards his collection of trees, wasting no time. As he reaches the trees he yanks a vine which slingshots him onto his wooden porch. The tall warrior bursts through the front door and slams into his room, quickly removing his night clothes and sliding into some loose brown leggings and a simple green vest. He picks the BPS from its resting spot in the corner and checks to make sure his vesting is holding an appropriate amount of knives. Satisfied, he jumps from the 30-odd feet high balcony outside again and rushes back towards the tunnel. Within a few scant minutes he arrives only to find an unconscious William, and the rest of the group already finished. They all give Stick a confused look and return their attention to the temporarily fallen man. Stick crouches over, panting heavily.

"Glad to see I got here on time..." he says between ragged breaths.

Gyr glances at Stick for another moment then says, "Well, thanks anyways, your concern *is* appreciated."

Stick nods as he slowly regains his wind. He turns to Cioden and asks him what happenned, who replies with, "Well Stick, you're not gonna believe this, but..."

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

Seth careened sharply into William and the two struck hard on the stone wall; slumping to a rest on the stone floor. William had indeed softened the blow for Seth but he was sensless for a few moments at any rate. The last thing he could recall seeing before whreeling into a fog was William staggering up and walking to a gaping hole in the wall.

Ciodin and Gyr had disappeared and William had soon followed form. Seth got to his feet and, after finding and replacing his spectacles, rubbed the back of his head which thundered painfully. He staggard towards the door but stopped short as Ciodin and Gyr came out.

"What...? Where's William?" The barrier fizzled as Seth pressed a hand to it, trying to look through to the happenings on the other side.

"He's in there, fighting that...thing." Gyr said, motioning towards the other chamber.

"What?! By himself?"

"Aye. He's more than capable...I hope."

Seth's eyes went wild and he beat against the barrier with his sword.

"Are you mad? Open this thing! We've got to help him."

" Settle, Seth. We can do nothing for him; he will be all right." Ciodin spoke without some much as opening his eyes, to draw him from his meditation.

Seth gave a sigh of resign, drawing his cane he sheathed his sword and paced about the room.

The sounds of battle resiganted throughout the halls for what seemed to be hours; though mere minutes passed. Soon, though, all sound ceased. All sat intently watching the barrier for what may come. The barrier emited a crackle as it disapated and William stumbled through and dropped.

Gyr and Ciodin ran to him and turned him on his back. Seth strode over and looked over their backs at the prostrate figure of their friend. All eyes strayed to William's forehead were now glowed the angelic mark.

"Good Lord!" Seth whispered under his breath. "What form of sign be thi...?" Seth is cut short by the entrance of a winded and muddled looking Stick. "Halloa, Stick. You're a few moments too late, I'm afraid. Come, see what we can do with William here."

Seth went to a near by table and brought some brandy for Williams lips to coax him back to conciousness.

"I don't deal in magics, but perhaps this would help."

~~~

Ooc: Did I ever pick the wrong time to be away; I missed the best part of the battle. No matter, good to see things are rolling again. Here's to what may come.

William lay tossing and turning in his bed in his apartments in the Keep. Right now the only person in the room other than he was Gyrfalcon, silently watching his friend deep in the throes of what seems like a long sleep.

"William, It's time for supper!" William turned toward the voice, it's familiarity tugging at his subconcious. He looked around. He was in the middle of a grassy field with mountains surrounding it completely about a mile out. Turning, he saw a small wooden house with a woman smiling at him...

William arched up out of the bed, his back twisted the wrong way and a scream issuing from his lips. Gyrfalcon scrambled up, calling for Cioden and the rest mentally and pushing Will back to the sheets.

Deep in the streets of a burning city, William ran for his life away from someone who was out to kill him. A man stepped in front of him and Will ran him through, removing his sword as soon as the body stiffened. Running was his only option, haunted by ghostly laughter from all around. He ran into an alley and saw a man with a black axe. The man looked up...

Falcon mopped Will's sweating brow with a cold damp towel. All the windows were open and the cold winter air was blowing in, but the afflicted man was still burning with fever. He occasionally muttered things in his comatic state, but one kept issuing again and again, over and over through the mumbled phrases. "Selene...Selene......"

Pulling the sheets up, the girl laughed wickedly and smiled at William. Their bodies both glistened with sweat, and her dark hair hung down to her waist in a glittering cascade. Standing, she walked to the window, beautiful in her nudity and sillhouetted in the moonlight. Her green eyes caught his, and they kissed languidly before moving back to the bed...

"He's in a comatic trance state," said Cioden matter-of-factly. "He may come out in an hour, or a week, or never. There's no way to tell with these things." Everyone looked worriedly at the pale man laying on the bed. For three days he had tossed and turned like this, with no end in sight. "We may have to accept the fact that he may...

"Never come back!" William cringed as the voice cut him to the bone. The masked elder on the tall roan horse accosted him sternly. "You have brought much shame on this town and our clan. You are banished from the lands of the Kumai, and are never to come back again." William looked once more at the masked girl on the horse next to the elder, then turned and rode away, his sword on his back and his mail jingling slightly. He rode down that road, ne'er to return...

Gyr stood once more over his friend's bed, a worried expression on his normally placid face. An entire month had gone by, and the normally well-built William had deteriorated to nothing but skin and bones. Daily they attempted to drip broth down his throat, but it was barely keeping him alive. If this went on much longer, he might...Gyr stopped abruptly and strode out of the room.

William stood in front of the statue of the Holy Light, his blood dripping down the steps of the cathedral. Behind him, a man with a huge black axe laughed darkly. "You thought that you'd escape your past, didn't you, Hayden? There's no escape from us, and you know it!" William stared up at the angelic figure holding the burning sword in front of him. His lifeblood draining from him, he could barely manage to look up, but he did, until his eyes rested on the flickering candle resting on top of the angel statue. The flame jumped this way and that, and William's eyes were drawn deeper into it's depths, as the bloody axe descended, cutting through spine, bone, and flesh. "Now we're repayed, Hayden."

Peredhil sat at the bedside of the now almost dead William Azunost. His deep eyes searched for signs of life and found none save for a feeble breath and heartbeat. Life still flowed through this man, but not for very long. Three months after the fact, and no-one had descended to the caverns since. Peredhil sighed, and a tear glistened under one eye as he walked out to leave William alone with his dreams once more.

The candle-flame grew larger and larger, swallowing him completely. He felt the pain growing farther away, and a calming presence filling him. He could not move, but felt he did not need to. "You are William Azunost." the sentence was not a question. William nodded anyway. "You have died, William. Your soul can now enter the afterlife...but you're held back." William thought of Selene, and the mysterious voice seemed to nod, if a voice could do so. "That is the truth, then. I will grant you life, but you will owe me, William Azunost. You will pay me back one day, and in doing so, will change the fate of every soul in this plane, maybe even in other ones. You shall be the Hand of the Light. Do you agree?" Will wanted to nod, but couldn't. The figure seemed to understand anyway. "Then go back to your life, William, and remember the promise you made..."

Falcon stood over his friend's almost-corpse. Nobody spoke anymore, so the voice took him by surprise. "W...at...er..." it croaked. Falcon jumped to his feet with a start. "Water..." this time it came a little easier. Falcon looked down, then ran out yelling for everyone and grabbing a small canteen of water from nearby. Pouring a little down the parched throat, he heard everyone else run in. He turned to them, a smile on his face.

"He's awake!"

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

Seth sat at his desk, high in his tower, bent over a large, worn, leather covered book. A cold cup of tea sat near at hand, and his pipe smoldered in an ashtray. His spectacles resting low on his nose, he slowly flipped through the pages. He had spent the last few weeks pent up in his rooms, reading through countless medical texts; searching for aid for the helpless Willaim laying near death within the Keep. He sat back and rubbed his eyes wearily.

"Nothing! Still nothing!" He closed the book with an air of resign. He leaned forward on his hands and began an earnest prayer to God. Suddenly something brought him from his prayer. Falcon was shouting- Willaim was awake.

"Wow! You do work fast. Thank you, Lord." he said with a sigh of relief. He bounded out of his rooms and down the stairs.

Seth entered the room where an extatic looking Falcon bent over a struggling William; the other turned a quick glance towards Seth and then looked back to William.

"Oh, thank the saints, you've back, William. How do you feel?" All Seth got in reply was a gurgle as William polished off the last of the water. "Ha! Grand! Well, now that the biggest fear is over, what's the next step?"

-Lord Seth Exodus

William leaned heavily on the walking staff he had dug out of his collection of trinkets and treasure. Inwardly cursing his weakness, he limped along towards the Pen's banquet hall. A few feet later, he tripped and his staff went clattering along the cold marble floor out of his reach. Tangled and twisted, his bony limbs askew on the floor, tears of rage poured down William's cheeks as he remembered the mistakes he made and the deal he made.

"Will, you need a hand?" Behind him Falcon approached, healthy and active. William hated him unmercifully right then.

"Back away, fool!" he hissed, his tone dripping venom. Falcon looked confused.

"I just want to help, Will!"

William spat at him, crawling toward his staff. "Yeah, just want to help so you can laugh at my weakness, right, Falcon? Well I've got news for you, you idiot! I'll be back soon, and then you won't have me to laugh at, and what'll you do then, eh? Now leave here, the mere sight of you sickens me!"

Falcon's face grew confused and he ran off, with Will's voice echoing in his ears.

Will looked around a little, then slowly lifted himself to his feet. They'd all pay for laughing at him, when he wasn't here anymore. Slowly he drug himself, not to the dining hall, but over to a different building...the library.

Will painfully drew himself up the final step. After using up all his energy to destroy the door barring him from the top, he was at the clocktower's peak. Held up only by his walking stick, he doddered to the edge and looked down, all fear gone. Far below him, the Pen Keep sprawled out below.

"So you've finally decided to get it over with, eh?"

Will turned around, and saw the pale ghostly figure of Kain approaching, staying to the shadows more of habit then necessity.

"Back off, freak!" hissed Will. Kain shrugged.

"It's up to you, but whatever you choose, remember, it's your life."

Will spat at him then turned back to the edge.

"Anything you want me to do when you're gone, with your belongings?"

Will almost spat something caustic at him, but then hesitated. Reaching inside his tunic, he withdrew a simple silver carving on a chain. The carving was of a thorny vine bent into the shape of a heart, with a star in the middle. Taking it off his head, he hurled it to Kain.

"Give that to Cioden, he'll know what to do with it." Kain nodded and walked away into the shadows. All alone on the balcony now, William muttered to himself a little.

"Well, this is it. Goodbye world, you didn't need me, and now I'm gone for good."

Thus said, he turned and hurled himself from the ledge, plummeting to the castle below.

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

Seth had stood back during the totality of William's little scene with Falcon. He too could not figure out the sudden mood change in his friend; he had, however, kept quiet throughout that time; more from a desire not to be noticed than anything.

As Falcon departed Seth watched the haggard figure of William slowly and painstakingly make his way off. He sat thinking quietly for some time after William departed and then decided to follow him to ensure he didn't hurt himself in his weakened state. He strode off through the halls trying to find William but he had made incredible progress for someone in his state.

"Of all the worste luck; how do you manage to lose a man in the condition as William?" Seth cursed himself under his breath. He had gone to the main court to see if Will had sought fresh air; but he didn't find him.

A loud explosion resounded through the air and caused some, including Seth, to look towards the library. Nothing followed, however, and many just continued on their way.

"Just some mage with a spell gone wrong, I assume. When will they learn?" Seth was talking aloud to himself but stopped as his eye caught a figure high on the clock tower. "What in the name of...?"

The figure paused, turned, swayed and stopped as it teetered on the edge. Seth watched intently; though, he coudl not distinguish the identity of the person. Suddenly the lone figure jumped and plumitted to the ground. As it came careening closer Seth could make out the face.

"God save him. What has he done?" Seth cried out. He stepped and faltered, not knowing what to do. "Never a mage about when you need one," he cursed.

A turrent of thoughts pummled Seth's mind in the first few seconds in which William had jumped. Something struck him and he sried out, "Bhurin!" The winged man could have easily saved Will, but the cry was futile, and Bhurin no where around. "Dear, Lord," was all he could say as he watched William Azunost, Lord of the lands of Radea, master swordsman, and friend plumitt to his death.

Gyrfalcon had come running when he heard the explosion, and stood near Seth when he saw the figure swaying on the edge of the open bell chamber of the clock tower.

William.

The figure paused for a moment, and then heaved itself outward, and Gyrfalcon's throat constricted.

William!

Gyrfalcon was a ranger, and had been active all his life. He ran as hard and fast as he ever had. His heart pumping blood through his legs as he raced forward as fast as possible, desperate to get to where William to fall, to stop his senseless death somehow. But as William disappeared out of sight behind a building, Gyrfalcon slowly stumbled to a stop. He thought desperatly, trying to call on his innate magic to save his friend.

But he no longer had magic, and one person could not do everything. Gyrfalcon came to a full stop finally, and for the first time in his long, long life- Gyrfalcon felt old.

William plummetted toward the ground, his throat constricted and heart racing. This is it, I'm finally going to die, he thought, his mind strangely calm.

Then the sun seemed to explode, and he fell into the light.

Not yet, Will, there is much more for you to do. I cannot allow you to destroy yourself just yet.

There was a tearing feeling, and suddenly he was face down in a clearing. Looking around, he recognized the ever-present writing desk and inkwell and realized he was in the garden of the Pen Keep.

Dragging himself to his knees, he wept tears of rage at whoever thwarted his efforts, and then soon slipped quietly into unconciousness.

Behind him, a shadowed figure watched expectantly.

William heaved forward, slashing diagonally. The huge black axe travelled through the log like a hot knife through warm butter, and seconds later the second slash from the axe sliced horizontally, cutting the log again.

There was a muffled thud as the three log segments all fell to the ground and Nightshade resumed it's normal form.

"That's quite a swing you've got there, neighbor."

William looked over at the stranger, an old man with white hair and a peculiar smile on his face. He shrugged at the old man. "Always training."

The old man walked over and looked at the fallen sections. "But you're not as good as Cioden, y'know. And you'll never be, either." Sliding the sword back into it's sheath with a click, William looked at the old man with interest. "Why not?"

The old man looked at him with piercing violet eyes. "Because you're not evil, in fact, you're damn near the opposite."

For the last month and a half Stick had been in a near-constant state of meditation. No one had heard much from him since William came back from the battle underground. Something was wrong, Stick could sense it. He could sense something on the horizon that he had to prepare for, like he was sure the others were preparing for as well. Regardless, he just hoped he'd be ready to lend an able hand.

Step right, and cut, step left, forward thrust, step forward, cut, forward, cut, forward, cut, pivot and chop...

Gyrfalcon moved swiftly through a familar sword routine, so familiar that he let his muscles work through it on their own, using the time as moving meditation. Several months ago, it had seemed as if William had died... and yet, when Gyrfalcon had approched where he expected to see a smashed corpse, William was lying on the ground, unharmed. Since then, he had not attempted to commit suicide again, but the other members of the Pen still kept a careful, but discreet watch over him.

Gyrfalcon had another reason to watch over William. Since that fight with the demon, he had sensed something approching...

And Gyrfalcon knew that in some way, he would be caught up in whatever event that approched.

Cut, step, slash, step, slash, slash, slash... Gyrfalcon's movements blurred as he pushed himself to the edge of his speed and skill.

William looked at the old man sharply. "And what would you know about that, old one?"

The older man with the purple eyes laughed, a strange cackle that somehow chilled William. "I know much that you don't, and that's the way things always are and always will be. But I'll tell you this: You'll never be as powerful as Cioden if you can't find your own weapon. Nightshade is not fit for a master such as you, its spirit is too dark and chaotic for one such as you."

"Then what should I do, old man?" William asked, now more interested than suspicious.

"There's a map in the library that you should look at, William, and then you'll find what you're seeking. By the way, nice job on the roses."

William looked back at the flowering roses. "Yes," he said, turning back to the old man, "But they're not quite...what the?" the old man was nowhere to be found. William glared around a little, his hand on the hilt of Nightshade, but no-one attacked him or anything of the sort, so he shrugged.

~Approximately 6:30 PM~

William sat back in the comfortable wooden chair and thought about the days events. Well, that old man sure was strange, and his eyes...wow, I don't think I've ever seen purple eyes. Oh well, things will work itself out, no reason for me to go chasing after rumors and fairy tales. He took a long drink of his cider and sighed appreciatively. I should go to bed, he thought, then suddenly an image of a beautiful woman with long dark hair and eyes that a man could lose himself in popped into his head...

William shook himself. Selene! Why am I thinking of her? He hadn't thought of his ex-lover since he left that village three years ago. Standing, he laid down a few silvers for the food and drink, then headed back to his apartments.

~Approximately 7:30 PM~

Actually, that's what he intended to do, but somehow he found himself in front of the massive steel-bound doors to the library, fairly surprised at his location, but not intending at all to stop. Pushing the doors open, he quietly shut them behind them and strode forward to the magical transport, imagining the third floor in his mind's eye. Silently he levitated up to the third floor and stepped out, looking around. Something was calling him.

He walked among the tall wooden shelves, feeling his way across. Kinda makes me wonder exactly what the hell I'm doing...well hello! Will suddenly stopped in front of a shelf full of scrolls. Looking at them, none of them looked particularly important, but he took them all out and put them on a table. Glancing over them, none of them pulled at him the way they did back on the shelf. Grumbling slightly about screwed up intuition, he walked back and was almost pulled off his feet toward the shelf again. "There's nothing there, damnit! It's just an empty shelf, whatever you are." A reply wasn't expected, but the shelf pulled at him again.

William looked closely at the shelf again, and noticed that the back was a tad bit closer up than the ones below or above it. Hmm...I wonder what this is...let's see here... Will pulled out his pocket knife and wedged it in one of the sides, prying it out slowly. After a few minutes of prying and levering, the entire backboard came out. Gently lowering it to the ground, William looked around and reached into the open space. His fingers felt something, and he grabbed it and pulled it out. Looking at the object in his hand, William recognized strange elven script running across the outside edge. Turning it around, he looked at it, but the dialect was too old to read.

He shrugged and put it in his pocket, remembering to ask Gyrfalcon to translate next time he saw him. He was about to walk off when he felt another pull toward the shelf. Turning around, he reached in for a second time, reaching around. His searching fingers encountered an object about 5 feet long and wrapped in what appeared to be a dilapidated burlap sack. Taking care not to disturb the wrapping, he drew it out of the hiding place. The brown material disintegrated in the light of the lamps, revealing the object beneath the wrapping.

William held a sword in his outstretched hands, a sword of excellent craftsmanship and style. The hilt was ornate, with tiny etched rose vines draping the crossguard and ending in two intertwined white roses in the middle of the crossguard on both sides. The handle was wrapped in white leather, and it ended in a compasspoint clutching a clear crystal. The blade was long and sharpened on both sides, with a quarter-inch bloodchannel running down the entire length. The edge looked - and was - razor sharp, and the steel was tinged a color of white with a tinge of blue mixed in. William held it gingerly, then felt that now-familiar tugging again, this time much gentler. Reaching in with his free hand, he withdrew a scabbard with silver elven script running up and down its length, much like the scroll case. Sliding the blade home, he attached the scabbard to his belt and put the backboard back in place, and then replacing the scrolls. William strode out of the library with a new weapon, and, unbeknownst to him, a new purpose.

~The Next Day~

Gyr sighed and set the scroll case down on the table, rubbing his eyelids a little with his fingertips. "Well, the script is very, very old, but I've managed to translate most of it. The title," he pointed to a larger sentence in the flowing elven script, "reads The Catacombs and Environs of the (untranslatable), including the lairs of the Dark Brethren and their allies" Gyr looked at William levelly. "I don't know where on earth you found this, but it refers to homes of the Dark Elves, a race of elves that live underground away from the sun and moon, the most primal providers of Elven energy. In fact, the royal crest of the elves includes both Sun and Moon. The Dark Brethren instead draw their energies from the cold darkness of the void and from the life-force of the earth. This changes them irrevocably in ways that nobody truly understands, but all I can say is that they are rumored to be extremely dangerous."

He tapped the case on the desk. "Also, I figured out how to open it. Oladia is the keyword." As he spoke the word, the top of the scrollcase opened up, allowing for access to the map. " Turbina closes it," he said as the case closed. "When the case is closed, it's almost indestructible, due to the runes that are inscribed in here." He pointed at a set of runes that wound around the case at the top and bottom. "This can easily withstand magical forces that would rip a person apart." Gyr proferred the case to William, who took it.

Gyr sighed then and picked up the sword. "This is going to take a while to explain.

Gyr looked at Will squarely. "The swords name is the Tassan Ivori, or Sword of Roses. It is a fabled blade known for its intense hightening of the senses and the fabled holy powers contained within." Gyr picked it up and weighted it in his hand, then turned and hurled it at a pagan charm hanging on the wall.

The sword flew through the air, bounced off the wall, and landed with a clatter on the floor. Gyr walked over and picked it up. "It's magic is somehow being bound by something. The edge and body of the sword is still protected, but beyond that..." Gyr shrugged. "It's nothing more than a really nice sword."

William took the sword back and slid it into his sheath, then took the scrollcase. "Oh well, I'll think of something."

With that, he turned on a heel and walked out of the room.

William spread the map out on his desk. It was roughly two feet square, with frayed edges and slightly faded ink. The writing was all in Elven, but the characters were simple enough to make out for William, who understood a fair amount of elven script. Pouring over it, he isolated several things and had marked them out with a magical pen that would disappear with a word. The first was the lake, which he had recognized, much to his surprise, to be the lake next to the Pen Keep. He assumed that naturally, the catacombs shown beneath there were all part of the same section, and he had discovered a secret world underneath the Pen!

William sighed and took another drink of apple juice, then coughed a little and went back to searching. He had isolated several of the landmarks, and was building a seperate map inside his head, for him to follow. He had realized long ago that he had to go down below the earth, and somehow he would find himself a weapon worthy and capable of his skill and expertise. The dormant Sword of Roses hung sheathed at his side, the white steel inlaid with a slight mottle of blue. He marked out a pathway through the catacombs to the village of the Dark Brethren, or the dark elves below the surface, where he hoped to find some guidance and direction to his search.

Pausing, he frowned again, looking at a specific area on the map. Here the ink was faded, and what appeared to be an elven character depicting either a source of water, or of danger, depending on the suffix...but the ending was blurred and unintelligible. William had attempted to find away around it, but found no other ways that weren't marked as unstable or extremely out of the way. William shrugged and mentally remembered to check that part out thouroughly. Sighing, he rolled the map up and stored it in the scrollcase, then went over to the closet and started packing.

The clothing he pulled out was fairly atypical for the normally somberly dressed Lord. Instead of darker colors, he pulled out a pair of loose white cloth pants and a black belt with a stylized dragon for a buckle. He also pulled out a large roll of cloth bandages, and proceeded to wrap both of his arms, including hands, with the white cloth. When he was done with that, he put the cloth in his pack and pulled out a white loose overcoat. His clothing was chosen for maximum movement efficiency and ability. After that, he wrapped his still slightly tender ribs and torso with the bandages and half-buttoned the shirt up. Into his pack went most of the essentials, including food and water. Finally ready, he attached the scrollcase and the Sword of Roses to his belt.

Finished, he turned to the door, and was confronted by Gyr, who was sitting there twirling a familiar silver pendant and ready to travel.

Gyrfalcon chuckled softly as William started in surprise. The ranger had slipped into the chair in which he now sat without any sound or warning that he was there. Stopping his pendent's spin, he tucked it beneath his armor and the shirt he wore underneath, enjoying the coolness of the metal and its familiar weight against his breastbone for a moment.

"What, you think that we're going to let you run off alone? Not a chance! Its been too quiet around the Pen, so I think I'll come along to keep you out of trouble." Gyrfalcon said with a grin.

The grin faded from his face as he shifted forward.

"Besides, I sense... somehow... that this is a journey that you'll need friends on. I also sense that I am to be one of those friends. Oh, and before you get any ideas on trying to give me the slip, I'm a ranger- I can track where you'll be three days from now!" Gyrfalcon said, a grin forming towards the end as he boasted, hoping for a smile or a laugh out of William.

Again, his expression turned serious "Before we go, I think there are several others who wish to join us on this journey. And to tell the truth, I want to examine your sword a bit more while I have all the tomes of the Library at hand- its a unique blade that I'd like to learn more of."

William shrugged. "Fine by me, but you do realize that we have no idea what we're going into here, right?"

Gyr laughed in reply. "A little danger never hurt anyone...now lets have a look at that sword, eh?"

The two of them walked off, while underground, Stick stirred slightly. The time was coming soon, the journey.

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

"Well, well. are you going have that blade appraised or put it to good use?" Seth stood in the doorway of Falcon's appartment, a smile under his moustache; a large, travle worn carpet bag in hand. He was dressed as always, formal, black, cane at the ready. His eyes twinkled intently behind his spectacles.

The two warriors turned with a look of surprise on both their faces to the Noble standing before them.

"Oh, come now, Seth; this be not a journey for someone like you." William said, trying to deter Seth.

"Hold your tongue, my friend. If any are going on this journey, I will be going with them. Rumour has it you plan to delve into the earth, and confront an ancient and dangerous race- your motives are your own. You're going to need some help."

"Seth..." Gyr stepped forward, but was cut short. Seth just raised a hand and stared him down.

"I'm coming!"

And so Seth found himself walking along with William Azonost, and Gyrfalcon the ranger. He strode on to ends unknown, but with a heart set to attending to the needs of his friends; seeing they come to no harm. He silently reached into his vest pocket and clutched his bible.

"Here we go."