The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Beginnings, Volume I: Sliver

OOC: Well, I finally decided to update my application post... I'm not sure if there's any room for any other posters in this, but feel free to join if you like ^.^

IC:

The next day Aidan managed to wake and get out of the house without his parents noticing. What he didn't know was that the battle had already begun out in the woods. The demons had begun to march, and the elves had intercepted. Arrows flew throughout the trees like deadly hornets. Demons fell in bloody heaps, but more kept coming. Swords were drawn and elven foot soldiers rushed the oncoming swarm. Losses were high on both sides, but the demons proved victorious. Fireballs were launched into the trees, setting a large portion of the forest on fire.

Aidan made his way over to the line of trees on the southern border, climbing into one of his favourites. He nocked an arrow, and watched. At first, he couldn't see anything, then he saw a few humans and elves backing up and fighting a dozen or so medium-sized demons. It was like something out of a nightmare. He couldn't possibly imagine such beings could exist to begin with, but there they were. They had a basic humanoid form, but that was the only resemblence. If they had flesh, it was all torn off, revealing red, rippling muscle, all over their bodies. At seemingly random places, there were bony spike-like protrusions growing all over their bodies. Their eyes were wide, but not very long. They were an orange-like colour, bearing no pupils, retina, nothing. Aidan didn't know much of anatomy, but he did know they must have some sort of alternate method of vision.

Suddenly, there was a shrill scream from the town. Aidan turned back, and could see the people evacuating. On closer inspection, he noticed his mother running out of their house, hitching her skirts. She was heading towards the woods.

"Aaiiiidaaan!!! Where are you!!! Come here, right now!!!"

Aidan knew he should go, but couldn't. Something inside him told him not to. He remained silent and watched as his mother ran into the woods. She stopped short as she saw the splintered force of demons, and who was fighting them.

"Stal! I can't find Aidan!"

The warrior turned around for a split second, a pair of elves covering his back.

"He must have escaped by now, do the same, get out of here!"

"No! I'm not leaving you..." she began to weep, "I hope your right, I hope Aidan is safe." Aidan also began crying softly. Annadi pulled a rather large kitchen knife from her skirt belt. She rushed to join her husband.

Aidan watched as the small band courageously tried to fight off the demons, but to no avail. He cried out as one of the demented beasts struck down his mother, then his father. All but two of the elves perished. Those last two elves managed to slay the rest of the small demon party. They rushed to Aidan's parents, leaning over them, apparently speaking to them. There was an explosion, and a larger demon party appeared from the brush. Aidan shouted out, drawing the attention of both the elves and the demons. He sent an arrow flying straight at the demon group. To his surprise the arrow went straight through one of the horrid creature's skulls, directly between it's eyes. He blindly shot another arrow, when suddenly the tree exploded in a fireball. Aidan went flying to the ground as he noticed the pair of elves running towards him. Then he blacked out.

~~ The conversation between the elves and Aidan's parents ~~

Out of all the elves fighting, a male and female remained. They both remained cloaked, hiding their features. Stal already knew who they were, so it didn't matter. He spoke in a ragged voice, using his last breaths.

"If you find Aidan, take him away from here. Take him to his aunt and uncle's in Gervad. Don't let him know who you are yet. You'll know when he's ready." The elves nodded silently. Stal looked over to his wife, his eyes filled with sorrow that she had already completely passed. "And give him my sword at that time, it is of good make and fine steel." Again, the elves nodded, then spoke a few words in their native tongue. It was a prayer.

{translated, of course ^.^}

The leaves fall an fade

Nature weaves her lattice

Earth reclaims its child

The wind blows with time

And the trees grow strong

Reaching to the skies

Returning the souls to the Light

The Cycle shall be renewed.

It was a formal prayer, sung at most elven noble ceremonies, and those for high-ranking warriors. About half way through, Stal had closed his eyes for the last time, with a semi-peaceful look on his face. At the end of the prayer, an arrow zinged overhead, taking out a demon that appeared from the brush. The elves looked over to the said brush, preparing to attack, when they heard a cry, followed by an arrow that stabbed through another demon's chest. They looked in the direction of the cry when a tree exploded, revealing a limp Aidan... BigPointyStick

-----------------

Wielder of the BPS

Companion of Mr.Bunny

Happy to say I seem to be a new Pen Member ^.^

• 2 months later...

The elven pair ran over to where Aidan fell from the tree. The male elf picked the unconscious child up and hefted him onto his shoulders. The female was busy diverting the oncoming demons with a flurry of arrow fire. She managed to shoot down three of the abominations, and slow down a few more, but there was still many more coming. The female shouted to her companion: "We have to run, I don't think we can stop them all!"

The male nodded silently and started chanting as he broke into a run, holding firmly to Aidan. The female slung her bow over her shoulder and picked a few tiny grey orbs from her waist pouch. The male finished his chant, ending in a loud elven word, Vaella. A pair of trees suddenly jolted with life and lashed out against a handful of the pursuing demons, which were quickly gaining. Unfortunately, there were still more coming. With a quick snap of her wrist, the female sent a trio of the grey orbs behind her which exploded on contact with the ground. As they did so, a thick trail of smoke poured out, giving the elves some moderate cover. The pair nodded at each other, and rolled to the left. A few scant seconds afterwards they heard rushing footsteps and a guttural tongue speaking in an unknown language. Satisfied that they were safe, the elves made headway for the mountains to the west. About half a day later they made it, finding the blessing of Luck- they were not attacked again.

Their luck remained with them for the rest of their trip, and three days later they had arrived at Gervad. Aidan's aunt and uncle nodded as the elves explained what had happenned.

Aidan's aunt, Perla, took the still unconscious Aidan to a guest room and set him on a plush bed. Meanwhile, Dutas, Aidan's uncle discussed the situation with the elves.

"It is unfortunate that my brother has fallen to such a dark force. I will miss him greatly... and I am honored he'd choose me to look after his son." he wiped a tear from under his eye and continued on, shaking a bit, "Anyways, something must be done. I'm sure the Leiv'at forces can put up a good fight, but it sounds like they'll need reinforcements. I'll get Rorte from next door to send a carrier pigeon over to Celan castle in Allanoi... hopefully they'll be able to send over a regiment of soldiers, perhaps even a mage or two."

The male elf nodded. "We will contact the high council of elves in Syv as soon as possible. After that we shall return, hopefully. If not, we'll send the best affordable help to keep an eye on the boy. I hope Stal was right about him."

"What do you mean, 'right about him' ?"

"Don't worry about it, it's not your concern right now. Your only concern is keeping Aidan safe, and alive." the female stood up from a chair in the corner of the room.

"Regardless, we must leave if we are to arrive at Syv in time. We WILL be back, so don't fear. Until then, keep this." she dug into her waist pouch and produced a small, round emerald. "This should help protect you if the demons should happen to make it all the way here. It'll activate when it's needed."

Dutas nodded and the elves left. Perla returned from the guest room and waved. The pair embraced momentarily and then went to check up on Aidan. Within a few moments the lad woke up, rubbing his forehead. He looked around, obviously unfamiliar with his surroundings.

"Where... where am I?" BigPointyStick

-----------------

Wielder of the BPS

Companion of Mr.Bunny

"I can throw knives!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ooc: Just wondering, is there anyway I could possibly move this over to the Assembly Room? At first I thought this might be the good spot to post it, but I realise now the Assembly Room would be more appropriate. I'd appreciate it a lot if it can be done, if not, thanks anyways ^.^

[Edit: *folds topic into a paper airplane, leans out the window, and whooooooosh! it glides to its new home. . .You get to unfold it though, BPO*]

[Edit: Thanks ^.^ *Stick then procedes to unfold said topic as he picks up a pencil and a leaflet of paper. He bites the end a bit, tapping the writing instrument against his chin, hoping a fit of inspiration will soon overtake him...] Edited by: The Big Pointy One at: 6/16/02 3:46:29 am

• 3 months later...

Nine years had passed in the capital city of Gervad. Word had spread of demon raids throughout the countryside. Farms were being burned down. Anduat had fallen. Sandtower was preparing a meager defence, although many of the long-time citizens had fled east. There were other disturbing rumors as well. Leiv'at was losing its tranquility. It was transforming from a majestic forest, to a twisted reflection of the hells. Beings unheard of and nearly undescribable were pouring out of the once peaceful woods. Also, the burnt remnants of the dead were walking again, this time, amongst the unholy hordes. Yet something was holding them back. Were they preparing for something? If so, what; and when?

Aidan shrugged it all off. He didn't care what happenned anymore. His parents were gone. He liked his aunt and uncle; they were good people and everything- but they didn't fill the whole in his heart where his parents had been. All he had now was a bitter rage and a taste for revenge. He was at the barracks every day, training, working, brooding. The only thing that motivated him out of complete apathy was the chance to avenge his family. He pushed himself to his limits daily. Where men who had been seasoned veterans tired, Aidan kept training. When the swordmasters had told him to quit and rest for the day, he continued on harder than before.

He could almost taste the demon blood that would one day spill.

The rare times when Aidan wasn't training with his sword at the barracks, he was in a small patch of woods to the northwest of Gervad. He trained with the town's best hunter, Heran Belta. He was a skinny man with just a few thick strands of gray hair on top of his wrinkled head, who had a slight limp in his right leg. Of course, anyone who ever underestimated them quickly found that his feet and hands were quicker than most people's eyes. He had a youthful gleam to his fading blue eyes, and could still hit a bullseye at 200 paces. Heran was teaching Aidan how to move throughout the woods without making a sound, even on the cripiest of fall days. Aidan was making good progress, and Heran himself was almost as silent as an elf.

Dutas and Perla were rather concerned about their nephew. They were afraid that his obsession with revenge would lead to violence within the town. They thought one day Aidan might lose his control over his rage and lash out on someone who crossed him wrong. They weren't the only ones. Everyone but the other trainees at the barracks (and their superiors) kept a wide berth, and rarely attempted to speak to the young would-be warrior. Aidan didn't even notice.

OOC: Next: Conflict

BigPointyStick

-----------------

Wielder of the BPS

Companion of Mr.Bunny

"My name shall be synonymous with fuzzy bunnies."

from Koznik's Inferno (a flash animation).

Find out what secondary animated character you are.

• 4 months later...

It was not long before Aidan had a chance to vent his emotions. It was sundown on the first day of winter, and snow was slowly building up on the streets and window frames. The marketplaces quickly emptied, and guards made their rounds in heavy fur jackets, more concerned about frostbite than footpads. Aidan himself was walking and thinking himself, like he usually did when night rolled around. Suddenly, a sharp, familiar sound caught his ear, and exploded through his mind. His thoughts were flooded with memories. Fire, screaming, death. His parents. It was the horn of the demons who had raided his village. They had finally regrouped and advanced north. The elves in the southern forest must have failed in dealing with the demonic forces.

Reality set back in and Aidan found himself clutching his head, neeling in the snow. Guards were shouting and running around, paying no attention to young Aidan. Then he spotted some cadets from the barracks running towards the gate and grouping into defensive formations. Aidan wiped the tear that had formed beneath his eye away, unsheathed his sword. He rushed to the gate. His superiors were barking orders at him, but he payed them no heed.

"Open the gate."

The exit out of town was barred, and guards were preparing a barricade. One of the lieutenants said something to him, but he payed it no heed.

"Open. The. Gate."

This time Aidan caught something. "No, I can't let you through. It's too dangerous. You'll have to wait here in case they break through."

He scoffed at that thought. Aidan had waited long enough. He looked straight at the man who had tried talking him out of leaving. The anger and sorrow in Aidan's eyes was like a flame burning so hot and bright, that anyone who couldn't see it would have to be completely blind. Kind of like the sun. "I have nothing to lose, let me through."

"I..." Aidan's eyes pierced through the soldier's heart and soul. Such misery, he couldn't help but demand the desperate man's wish be granted. "Fine. I'll let you out. May the light shine upon your soul, young..."

"Aidan. Aidan Serradin."

"Alright Aidan. Go through. Mercy upon you." After Aidan was through, and the gate was sealed the soldier couldn't help but feel a portion of what Aidan was feeling. "Alright, everyone to bows! We're going to give that lad all the cover we can muster." The troops surrounding him looked puzzled. "DO IT! NOW!" Everyone sheathed whatever weapons they were holding and brought out bows, crossbows, slings, whatever ranged weapon they could muster. Within minutes, the wall was covered by soldiers, ready to release a wall of projectiles at the oncoming force. Within seconds, they did. In doing so the entire front line of the fastly approaching demon horde was eliminated. Of course, it made no difference, since there was many more behind them.

Aidan just walked forward, very slowly. He felt no fear. He felt nothing. All his anger, sorrow, torment, everything that had driven him to this point had completely consumed him. He WAS anger. He WAS sorrow. He WAS torment. Nothing mattered anymore, except for eliminating those that had taken so much from him. His sword flashed in front of him whenever a demon came within reach. Eventually the beasts realised to come within swords length was a sure death, so they kept just out of reach, snarling and taunting in their native tongue. Eventually there was simply a circle of clear ground surrounding the young warrior as he kept on moving slowly forward, demon blood dripping from his sword which hung limply at his side.

Another horn blew and suddenly the demons surrounding him rushed towards Gervad. Aidan didn't care. He was too focused on moving forward. Always forward. He must continue his advance. However, the opposing force had its own plans. A wave of new foes appeared. They were canine in form, about the size of a greater wolf. The difference was that they seemed to be composed of some sort of sulfur-like stone. Molten rock dripped from their jaws like drool, and a dark flame shone in their eyesockets. This time they rushed straight at Aidan, who quickly knew he'd have to fight. Within an instant his sword pierced straight down a throat that would of taken his face off in one simple snap. His blade slashed sideways cleaving out of the first helhound and decapitating one next to it. He knelt and stabbed behind him, feeling his blade tear through flesh. Not bothering to check if the one behind him was actually dead, he shot his sword forward in a strong jab that disabled yet another hellbeast.

Aidan wasn't without wound. His own blood littered the ground in pools of varying size and degree. Still, he did not notice. At this moment in time, he felt no pain. He felt no exhaustion. He would not stop until everyone else was dead, or he was.

Something else Aidan didn't notice was the stream of arrows piercing the helhounds on either side of him. Or the fact that the molten rock from the creatures' maws didn't seem to touch him. Rocoss and Roxxia had finally returned, but without help. They were unsuccessful in convincing the Great Council of taking action. They were alone, but still they perservered to see Aidan get out alive, if nothing else. As soon as the demons noticed their presence, the elven twins fired their last rounds and drew their swords. They weaved through the hellish canines with relative ease. It seemed as if their skills had greatly improved since the last invasion. They felt the tension rising as they made their way towards Aidan. Roxxia's magical barrier was fading fast, and although he didn't know it, so was Aidan.

Sword flashing before him, the youth still barely showed signs of exertion or registered pain. His reflexes were like lightning, as his sword deflected tooth and claw with surprising dexterity. However, less and less helhounds were falling and more were rising.

Then his sword broke.

• 4 weeks later...

Aidan thought it was all over as his sword fell to the ground, shards clinking on the charred grass before him. He readied his fists in a defesnive martial position, although he knew it would do him no good. The beasts would rip him apart. Then, in the flash of an instant, all he saw was green. He realised it was a cloak, and took a step back, bumping into a soft form behind him. Rocoss stood in front of him, swinging madly at the demons around the trio. The hellish beasts did not show fear, but took a careful step back. The elf handled his blade with deadly accuracy. Aidan could hear slashing and the crunching of skulls behind him. Rocoss stabbed one sword into the ground momentarily, then released a belt clip. A sheathed sword fell from beneath Rocoss' cape to the ground in front of Aidan. The youth stared at the weapon blankly.

"Well, pick it up you fool, it is your life!"

Aidan shook his head vigorously, snapping back into reality. He picked up the sword and his heart beat more rapidly than it had before. Memory flooded over him as his mind flashed back to the days of his childhood. He had seen but a glimpse of this blade. It was his father's. He saw it before he had fallen, before his father had been slain. Sheath discarded, Aidan swung the blade slowly through open air, then screamed a threat towards the demons.

"Foul beasts! You have taken my family, my life from me! You will pay!"

"Good Aidan, harness your anger, but do not let it control you. You must live through this battle, and see tomorrow. Now, fight, fight like your father did for you!"

Tears fell from Aidan's eyes as he sliced through his enemies, marching ever forward, as if going forward would be taking him farther away from his past. When he could no longer stand, the twins each sheathed a sword and held him up by the waist, their other arms stabbing forward, downing all those who would seek to drain Aidan of his life, of his passion, of his rightful vengeance. Aidan's head hung low, but he maintained a two-handed grip on his father's sword as the hellhounds and demons lashed at the trio. They moved forward, until it seemed as if they were inching along like slugs, or snails. Time seemed to freeze, and all seemed lost. Things seemed worse, when Rocoss, Roxxia and Aidan saw what must have been the commanding force behind the demons. It stood at least seven feet tall, skin a dark red, almost the colour of blood. It had no hair, but instead a pair of goat-like horns that curled into the air. It was muscular and wielded a long whip. The demons attacking the trio parted, and then left. It was the elves, one human, and the pit lord.

The twins looked down to Aidan. They nodded, then dropped him and took a step back. Roxxia layed her hands on Aidan's head, though. The young man felt a cold breeze wash through his blood, and he felt revitalized. His injuries suddenly didn't seem so bad, and he felt like he could fight with twice the strength he could fight with before. He stood before the pit lord, who examined the human quizzicaly, whip flailing in the air. Aidan's look was pure fire. It raged within him, hate and love, they were now his left and right hands. He raised his sword and struck with both. The twins had sheathed their other swords now, and taken to bows. They turned their backs to Aidan, and took fire upon anything that came within sight. The pit lord's whip entangled around Aidan's sword, but Aidan somehow proved to be stronger and pulled the whip free of the pit lord's hand. Astonished, the large demon advanced on Aidan, fists slicing the air rapidly. Aidan met each attempted strike with the blade of his father's sword; demonic blood soon littered the ground between the two combatants. Seeing his opening, Aidan stabbed forward, impaling the pit lord through the stomach. Aidan jumped and cleaved upwards, splitting the thing's torso in half. He landed on the ground, victorious, then fell, unconscious to the sweet caress of the ground.

• 5 weeks later...

Rocoss looked behind him as Aidan cleaved the pit lord in half with astonishing strength, then collapse unconscious to the ground. He turned Roxxia's attention the young human. The twins nodded at each other, then went to pick up young Aidan. The pit lord, however, wasn't satisfied with such an easy defeat and lurched towards the trio. Rocoss jumped in surprise more than fear, and quickly severed the thing's torso and hacked at it until it moved no more. Satisfied, the twins, Aidan in tow, headed to the east.

So it was that the first chapter of Aidan's story came to a close. The demon attacks slowed to a halt once the commanding aura of the pit lord dissipated. The demons, with no one to control them disbanded and went wild upon the land, and eventually were all but completely destroyed by the Leiv'at wandering militia. That isn't to say that they had been completely vanquished, it just happenned for now, their time on this world was at a temporary end; a stasis. The twins took Aidan to the wooded nation of Syvaellasori, the land of the elves. Instead of heading straight to the capitol as they had done on their previous journey, Rocoss and Roxxia instead headed to the newest village, Souloak. It was a settlement for the wood elves that had survived the first attack in the Southern Woods. Although many elven warriors had died that fateful day, many civilians had made it away unscathed thanks to the wisdom of one Ailron Silverbranch.

(OOC: I'll leave it there for now... instinct is telling me to stop...)