The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Isle of Tears

The ship groaned ominously as the waves crashed against her hull. The relentless battering had continued for three days as the angry sea punished the hapless vessel and her crew. Nightfall had come once again and the exhausted men labored topside to prolong what seemed to be the inevitable. The ship was taking on water and her rudder was fouled. Below decks, the shouts of the captain could barely be heard over the howling wind and crashing waves. In a dimly lit room, the passengers sat in silent misery. The constant shuddering and rocking of the floundering ship had left them sickened and weak. The four proud adventurers now looked pitiful as they waited out the storm. Sitting on the floor against the bulkhead was Garion, a muscular man from the Freecity State of Colwyn. Lying on an uncomfortably small bed with her head positioned over a wooden bucket was Myriam. Beloram was passed out on the table in the center of the room. He had escaped the misery by drinking himself into a catatonic state. In another corner of the small room was Vartan, an elf of great age floating three feet above the floor, apparently oblivious to his perilous situation as he meditated in a deep trance.

Suddenly, the door flew open and a half-drowned sailor poked his head into the room. "Capt'n wants all hands on deck!"

Garion looked up, but the man was gone. Slowly, on unsure legs, he arose and began to gather his things. He then nudged Myriam.

"Leave me alone! I want to die in piece," she moaned. Her agitated voice was well known to Garion for she used it often. But Garion would not be deterred so easily.

"Get up Myr! Get your stuff. Time for some fresh air," he replied in a sarcastic tone.

She glared up at him for a moment, and then sighed. "All right Garion, but you get to carry the drunk this time."

Garion then turned toward Vartan, but the mage was already headed through the doorway. "All right Bel, lets go for a walk."

As the passengers made there way topside, they were greeted by seawater stinging their face. Sailors scrambled to retie lashings and secure loose items as the waves rolled over the deck. Garion saw the Captain standing near the main mast barking orders to his men. He set Beloram and their gear down on the deck and made his way over to him.

"Captain Greir," shouted Garion! The Captain didn't acknowledge him.

Garion walked over to the man and asked, "what can we do to help Captain?" "Just stay out of our way! I don't want anyone below deck if she starts to go down," replied the Captain. He then resumed shouting his orders to his men. Garion fumbled his way back to the others. He noticed Vartan standing on the aft deck looking into the raging sea. Garion slowly reached the mage and stared out into the giant waves with him. "This storm is unnatural. Ancient powers are at work here. Ready the others Garion Colvon. Our attackers will soon reveal themselves." There was no emotion in the elf's face. His eyes were distant as he scanned the watery surface. Garion turned and headed back to the others.

Beloram had awakened and was very sorry for it. Myriam was tending to him with some tonic as she chastised his stupidity.

"Prepare yourselves," shouted Garion, "we are about to be attacked!" He then reached into his bundle of gear and pulled a large knife from its sheath.

Beloram was still sitting on the deck as he fumbled for his assortment of weapons. He grabbed several throwing knives and a shortsword from his own pack.

Myriam kneeled and clasped the pendant around her neck. She took great comfort in its closeness as she prayed to Mystra for strength and wisdom. Beloram gave her a quick glance and sneered, "Myr, why don't you beg it to stop the storm while you're at it." At that moment, the howling winds ceased and a strange calm enveloped them. The stunned crew looked about in awed silence at the miracle.

"Myriam? Did you do," Beloram started to ask when a flash of searing light pierced the night followed by an earsplitting crack and the splintering of timber.

"Look out," came a cry from the deck as the main mast tumbled over. Everyone watched in horror as the beam fell crushing several men standing near it, including Captain Greir.

A shriek of terror came from the bow of the ship followed by a large splash. The sailors scrambled toward the midship like scared sheep. Several more cries and splashes were heard followed by an eerie silence.

"Move away from the sides," shouted Garion!

"Prepare to repel borders," shouted a burly looking sailor. The crew reached for their weapons as large hooks flew from the water and caught the ship's side. The ship listed to the right as if being dragged under by the devil himself.

Vartan could see the creatures swimming under the water as he prepared his light spell. He gathered the energy to cast it and made a slight gesture with his left hand to release it. The ship was instantly bathed in a bright blue light.

Moments later, several large nets flew over the ship's side. Tortured cries came from those who were caught in the nets as they were pulled overboard.

Vartan searched the waters for the Sargia's master. The Sargia was a race of sea creatures, evil in nature, and voracious in appetite. They were distant relatives of the true race, elves that had been forced from their sylvan homes and succumbed to the dark enchantment of the sea. He had heard of their ability to control the elements, but a storm of this magnitude was beyond even legendary. A Master Sargia must be close by to lead this ravenous pack, and he had to find it if there was to be any chance for survival.

A high-pitched scream pierced the air and as Garion turned toward it, he saw Myriam covered in a large net full of razor sharp hooks ripping into her flesh and clothing. He reached for her, but she was pulled into the dark water, her terrified screams disappearing under the waves with her. Without hesitation, Garion grabbed his knife and jumped into the water after her, able to catch a section of the net as it went past him.

Vartan saw Garion leap into the water leaving Beloram alone. He moved closer to the side and saw the Sargia mounting an attack, their scaled heads shimmering in the spell light. He had already tipped his hand by casting the light spell. The Master Sargia had to know that a mage was aboard. But the light spell would also hinder the Sargia in their attack due to their aversion to it. He reached Beloram just as a Sargia was climbing over the side near him. It hissed its fury at seeing it's ancient enemy standing before it. The elf stared defiantly at the Sargia as the power for his next spell surged into him. With a single word, the elven mage released the spell sending an arc of lightening into the creature. It wailed in agony as the bolt of energy made its scaly skin sizzle. It leapt into the safety of the sea, but the shock had killed it before it touched the water.

"Get up Beloram. I cannot stand here and protect you all night."

Beloram was already getting to his feet, "worry about your own neck old man. Mine is safe enough."

Garion pulled himself along Myriam's limp body as they were dragged into the deep until he found the tethering lines and severed them. He then grabbed Myriam's lifeless body and swam with all of his strength toward the outline of the ship above. As he fought his way upward, a large silhouette passed between him and the ship. Then he felt something large swim past him. Its smooth gray skin glided through the water effortlessly as it disappeared once again into the dark abyss surrounding him. With strength born of panic and fear, he stopped to face his attacker. His lungs aching from their denial of air, he grasped the knife tightly in his right hand and peered into the depths for a sign.

He didn't have long to wait. Out of the darkness came the leviathan, it's massive jaw open wide full of razor sharp teeth. It bore down upon him with amazing speed. Garion was no stranger to combat. He had fought many battles against numerous foes, but this creature's ferocity paralyzed his mind with a primal fear as he waited for his brutal death.

Beloram sidestepped a poorly aimed spear thrust and sliced the creature's belly open with an expert flick of his shortsword spilling its contents onto the deck. He paid no mind to the creature as it squealed in pain. He could see the old elf near the side of the boat looking into the water. Another creature was charging Vartan's unguarded back, its spear raised to deliver a deathblow. Beloram, his head still clouded from the large quantities of ale, grabbed a throwing knife from its sheath under his cloak and let it fly. It spun gracefully through the air finding its mark in the beast's exposed neck. The assailant instantly fell dead to the deck. Beloram looked back at the old man who was now reaching for something in the water.

"The old goat probably dropped his cane." Beloram chuckled softly.

The killing blow missed. When Garion realized that he was still alive, he snapped out of the paralyzing fear that had overtaken him and continued swimming for the surface. As he breached the water, he was greeted with a nightmarish vision. The ship was a flurry of battle. Large man-shaped fish were on the deck overwhelming the crew with their cruel nets and barbed spears. Myriam's lifeless body floated next to him. He then saw Vartan reaching to him from the deck of the ship. The mage grabbed Myriam and easily lifted her from the water.

Garion felt a sharp pain pierce his back. He looked down at his chest to see a spearhead sticking out of it. The surface disappeared once again as he slipped under the waves into the darkness, but he was not ready to die. Blocking the pain from his mind, he rolled into a ball and then with all of his strength, he pulled the spearhead through his chest. As his body slid down the shaft of the metal spear, he felt a presence behind him. It released its grasp on the weapon, and began opening deep gashes on his back with its sharp claws. Garion used the opportunity to yank the remaining part of the spear free from his body.

In a savage rage, he reached for his attacker. The creature bit down on his hand, but that gave Garion the chance he needed. He had dropped his knife, but the spear was now his and he brutally shoved it through the beast's eye and out its skull.

He wanted desperately to swim for the surface, but something made him pause. Still grasping the spear with the creatures lifeless body impaled upon it, he floated, peering into the blackness surrounding him.

There it is! Garion's mind had only moments to react to the danger racing toward him. But this time he was prepared for it. The shark was only inches from him when he twisted out of its way hitting the beast's side. Garion shoved the spear deep into the belly of the beast ripping a large gash as it glided past. He watched as the mortally wounded creature sank into the darkness trailing its blood and entrails.

Garion seized the opportunity to swim for the ship. As he broke the surface of the water, he could see the ship's crew fighting back the onslaught. The pain from his wounds filled him with despair, and with all of his remaining strength, he swam closer to the ship hoping to be spotted.

Vartan could sense the elemental powers building near him. He scanned the surface for any sign of its controller. His powerful vision could discern the subtle differences in temperature. Just outside of the light spell, he found it. Several large Sargia surrounded one. That had to be the Master. He was preparing to cast another spell so Vartan knew he had to work fast. Speaking an inaudible phrase and touching the ring on his right hand he lifted into the air and flew toward the group of Sargia. They made no movement as if they were aware of him as he drew closer because his ring had rendered him invisible. Calling upon the magical energies in the air around him, he focused on the center figure and commanded the lightening bolt to strike.

The air cracked and popped from the power of his spell as a large bolt of lightening leapt from his outstretched hands and struck the Master Sargia before spreading out and hitting its guards. The creature's bodies violently shook from the power of his spell until their smoldering corpses slowly sank beneath the dark foamy water.

Vartan's spell had weakened him, and he struggled to concentrate on his fly spell. The invisibility effect was gone as he landed rather ungracefully on the deck of the ship. Beloram raced to his side. "Vartan, are you okay," he asked with more concern than he meant to show. I'll be fine. I saw Garion floating in the water over that way," he weakly gestured. "He needs help."

Beloram tied a rope to the ship's side and then to himself. He jumped into the water and swam out to Garion's unconscious body. He could see the large wounds in his back and chest.

Once Garion was back on board, Beloram took him below the deck to their cabin. Vartan was tending Myriam's wounds. She was protesting the attention as usual when Beloram carried Garion through the door. "Mystra be merciful," exclaimed Myriam! "Is he breathing Bel?" "I don't think so."

Vartan cleared the table of its contents. " Place him here, Beloram. I will need some clean linen to make bandages. Hurry now." Beloram laid the young man on the table and hurried out the doorway.

"Let me help you, Vartan," said Myriam painfully.

"Save your strength Lady Myriam. You will need it in case I'm unsuccessful." The elf's eyes betrayed his concern. Garion was badly wounded and the mage's power may not be enough. He went to work speaking strange incantations and pouring sweet-smelling elixirs over his wounds. Myriam sat on the small bed and wept quietly. Beloram had told her how Garion had saved her, and she had become overwhelmed with grief. Beloram returned to the cabin to find Myriam sleeping on the bed and Garion lying on the table. Vartan was chanting softly and applying herbs to Garion's wounds. "Here you go Vartan." Beloram handed a bundle of filthy rags to Vartan. "That's all I could find mage." Vartan gave them a disdainful glance and went back to his mantra. "He gonna be all right," Beloram asked? Vartan either didn't hear the question or chose to ignore it as he continued his work.

Beloram sat on the floor and leaned against the wall. Sleep quickly overtook him, but visions of scaly sea monsters robbed him of any rest. It was morning when Beloram opened his eyes again. He wasn't sure if his body ached more from the battle or from sleeping on the wooden floor. He was about to protest his condition and then thought better of it. Vartan was still standing over Garion's prone body, but Myriam had now joined him. They both looked pale and exhausted, and Beloram knew that his young friend was gone. He stiffly rose to his feet and slowly joined the pair in a quiet homage to his fallen friend. "How are you feeling this morning?" Myriam's voice was soft and soothing. Beloram was about to answer when he heard Garion's voice.

"I've certainly felt better." His voice was raspy and strained. Garion opened his eyes for a moment and then closed them again. "But I'm sure glad to still be here." Beloram felt like a large black curtain had been lifted from him. His friends were going to be all right. "I thought you were dead for sure," he exclaimed excitedly! "Bel! Don't say that," scolded Myriam. "Garion has had enough to deal with without you saying things like that." "Thanks Bel. Good to see you again as well. I thought I was dead too." Vartan excused himself and sat down on the bed. He was extremely weak from the whole ordeal. Myriam placed a warm blanket over him and stayed with him until he was asleep. "Come with me Bel. They need their rest." Myriam walked to the door and left the small room. Beloram reluctantly followed. On the deck, the bright sunlight revealed the damage to the ship. A few sailors were moving about trying to clean up the aftermath of the storm and the battle that followed. Myriam stood at the ship's stern looking out into the calm sea. Beloram joined her there as the light breeze brushed their faces.

After a few uncomfortable moments, Beloram spoke. "Myr, I thought I'd lost you back there. I ..."

"Let's not talk about it, my dear," she interrupted. "It's over now, and I just want to forget about what happened." She then turned around and leaned against the railing. "Now we need to figure out where we're going from here." "I'll go talk to the crew." Beloram kissed Myriam gently on the cheek and walked away. Myriam smiled briefly, that wasn't what she was referring to. She had always liked the young man. Ever since Garion joined their group, he was interesting to her. His shyness and purity seemed to be more of strength for him than a weakness. He had never given her an indication that it was not genuine, and even though she would often tease him for it, deep down she envied him. Perhaps it was because her innocence had been taken away at such an early age, she mused. Her life had been one great disappointment after another. But she couldn't help the way she felt, and now she understood why. She loved Garion. And Beloram would never understand. Three days had passed since the storm's end, and the remaining crew worked feverishly to repair the ship. The food and fresh water supplies were nearly spent, and the crew's morale was getting low. Myriam had managed to heal those who were wounded, but they had lost twelve out of a company of eighteen sailors, including their Captain. Vartan had studied the heavens for a familiar sign, but none could be found. In all of his travels, he had never ventured this far south. His only suggestion to the others was to sail north until the night skies looked more familiar.

The sailors agreed and with makeshift rigging, they slowly made their way back to civilization.

Another two days of torturously slow travel and they still had no idea where they were. The current was pushing them off course as if it had more devious plans. The fresh water was gone, and the bright sun burned mercilessly through the cloudless sky. "So this is how we go out, huh," snorted Beloram? He was sitting in the shade on the deck, his eyes closed, looking up at the light blue sky. "Funny, I always thought I would die in a more dignified way. Ya know. Like getting caught with a another man's wife." Then he chuckled softly. Garion was standing near the side of the ship scanning the waves. During the night, he had a dream about a ship with a red sail moving across the horizon. Normally, Garion didn't put any stock in dreams, but things were becoming desperate, and he didn't want to let any chance slip by.

"Are you even listening to me, Garion?"

"What did you say," Garion asked? "Sorry Bel, I was just thinking about something." He turned his attention back to the sea.

"So." Beloram paused for a moment.

"So what?"

"What was more important to you than listening to me?" Beloram was still looking at the sky as he prodded Garion with feigned annoyance.

"Oh. I was just thinking about a dream I had last night."

"A dream, huh. Let me tell you about this dream I had last night. Me and Myr were . . . "

"Smoke!"

Garion's shout stopped Beloram in mid-sentence and made him spring to his feet like a cat.

"Where," Beloram asked excitedly?

"Out there." He pointed toward the horizon where a thin sliver of darkness contrasted with the light blue of the sky.

"You're right! I don't believe it."

Garion ran to the highest deck of the ship grabbing the spyglass along the way. A few of the sailors and Myriam joined Beloram on the mid deck as Garion looked again at the column of smoke rising into the sky like a beacon.

"What's going on Bel," asked Myriam?

"I spotted some smoke on the horizon, and Garion is checking it out."

"What do you see, Garion?" shouted Myriam.

For a moment, Garion didn't answer. He just leaned over the ship's edge trying to focus the ancient spyglass. Then he yelled "Land Ho!"

The others on the deck began jumping and yelling with happiness.

"I see a mountain, and some trees. Bring her about men."

Vartan and the remaining sailors were now on deck with others. As they celebrated, Vartan joined Garion and peered out over the sea. His aged eyes seemed to brighten as he saw the pillar of smoke. "Good job Garion. You've saved us."

The sandy shoreline was a welcome site to everybody aboard. Tall trees marked where the beach ended and a dark green jungle began. Towering above the green forest like some giant sentinel was a volcano. Black smoke billowed ominously from its summit.

"So I guess this is it. For some reason, I was expecting something a little more dramatic." Beloram turned away from the island.

"Look alive folks. We've got company." Garion pointed to the shoreline as a group of natives step out of the forest onto the sand.

"Are they friendly?", asked Myriam.

"Well, they didn't wait for us to come ashore so they could ambush us so I doubt killing us is the first thing on their minds."

Then one of the sailors spoke to Garion, "sir, we are as close to the shore as we can get. I suggest we drop the anchor before we run a ground."

"Fine. Lower the lifeboat." Garion grabbed a bundle he had prepared and strapped it across his back. Myriam, Vartan, and Beloram each did the same. Garion then addressed the crew. "Some of you should stay aboard to protect the ship. As soon as we find fresh water and food we will return with supplies. If everything is safe, everyone will have a chance to go ashore."

The sailors spoke amongst themselves and then four men stepped forward to join the shore party.

Garion turned to face the shore where a rather large group of men had gathered. "Let's not keep them waiting."

When everyone had set foot on the sandy beach, a portly native stepped forward from the group. He was naked like the others except for a large necklace of brightly colored feathers. He carried a three-foot wooden mace with a large hewn head at one end. It was also decorated with feathers.

He raised his hands and spoke in a strange language. Then he put his hands down and waited. Several uncomfortable moments passed. Then the man looked back to the others standing behind him. The were silently watching Garion and the others. Everyone seemed to be waiting for something.

Finally, Garion stepped forward and said, "We need fresh water and food. We will not harm you."

The natives looked at each other in amazement. They had never heard any language except their own. Garion smiled reassuringly, but the man wearing the large feathers began to slowly move backwards to rejoin his men.

Myriam chanted softly for a moment and then stepped forward next to Garion. She then began to speak the same strange sounds that the large native had used. A smile quickly formed across his tan face. He started speaking as well in an excited manner. After a short conversation, she turned to the others and said, "We are welcome here. The fat man is Tubu and he is their chief. They will share their food and water with us."

Beloram asked, "Myr, how did you do that?"

"Mystra granted me the ability to understand them," she replied in a humble tone. Her hands quickly made a gesture that symbolized her faith.

"Oh. I see." Beloram was always amazed at Myriam's abilities even though he often made fun of her devotion to Mystra.

Tubu spoke to them again, and Myriam translated. "Chief Tubu has invited us to his village for a feast. What should I tell him?"

"Sounds like a setup to me." Beloram glanced toward the group of smiling natives. "I'd wager we're the main course."

Garion placed his hand on Beloram's shoulder. "Bel. Not everybody is like you. In fact, most people are quite decent."

Beloram looked up at him and pushed his hand away while the others laughed.

"I've got a bad feeling about this. You go in there and your coming out somebodies bowel movement."

Vartan interrupted, "I am loathed to say this, but Beloram has a point. We know nothing about these people or their customs. I think it is unwise to completely trust them."

Myriam joined in. "I understand what your saying, but I think if they wanted to harm us, they've had plenty of opportunity to do so already."

"How about this," suggested Garion. "It isn't wise for all of us to go with them in case something happens, but it might be considered an insult if we decline their invitation. Why don't Myriam and I go, and the rest of you stay here and help with the supplies?"

Once everything was settled and all of the introductions were made, Garion and Myriam disappeared into the thick jungle with the island people. They followed a worn path until they entered a clearing full of grass huts. Once they were noticed, the entire village gathered around them talking amongst each other.

After the excitement of the strangers had died down, Tubu made a quick hand gesture and three young women presented themselves. Tubu told them to prepare Garion and Myriam for the feast. They smiled and led the strangers into one of the huts.

Once inside, one of the girls started to undress Garion. He gently pushed her away as his face turned bright red. She spoke to him softly with a curious look on her face, and then tried again to remove his soiled tunic.

"What's the matter Gar? She just wants to clean your clothes." Myriam giggled at Garion's obvious embarrassment.

"Tell her that I prefer to undress myself."

Myriam smiled coyly and then spoke to the girl. She looked offended as she stepped away from him.

Garion turned around and began loosening his sword belt. When he looked back over his shoulder, he saw the girl standing with arms folded, watching him intently.

"Any chance I can have some privacy?"

The girl looked over at Myriam who was being helped out of her leather breeches by the other two girls.

Myriam tried to look like she was ignoring his plea, but a smile snaked across her face. "I think the chief ordered them to do this. You don't want them to get into any trouble now, do you?"

Garion's sigh told her that she had won. She then told the young girl it was okay to help him remove his pants.

The sun had disappeared by the time Garion and Myriam left the small hut. Myriam had noticed how Garion had stolen several chances to look at her while she bathed. His attention made her feel good for some reason, and she reached for his hand and smiled up at him as they were led to a large fire in the center of the village.

"Ready for this?" Her soft voice brought an immediate smile to Garion's face.

"You look stunning Myr. Bel is a very lucky man."

She gave his hand a squeeze and just smiled.

The villagers were seated around the large fire talking loudly. As Garion and Myriam approached the fire, the conversations ended and Chief Tubu stood up to welcome them. He gestured for them to sit next to him and they did. Then the chief clapped his thick hands and five serving girls stepped out of the darkness carrying large trays of food. One of the trays was set before the chief. Garion stared at the young woman without realizing it. She glanced at him and smiled briefly, but both Tubu and Myriam had noticed it. Tubu said something in a rough tone to the naked woman, and then she hurried off into the darkness giving Garion one last glance over her brown shoulder.

"Garion!" Myriam's surprised voice snapped Garion out of his trance.

He looked at Myriam and saw Tubu eyeing him carefully.

"That was his daughter you were staring at. Way to go stud!." Myriam's laughter brought a flash of red to Garion's face instantly. He looked at the tray of food in front of them in an attempt to avoid Tubu's gaze.

"Please tell him that I meant no offense."

Myriam looked at Tubu and explained how sorry they were if they had offended him.

Tubu grinned and courteously invited them to eat.

After everyone had eaten their fill, Myriam thanked Tubu for his generosity. She asked him if some food could be taken to their friends on the beach.

Tubu told her that he had arranged for water and food to be taken to them already.

As the evening progressed, they were entertained by several dancers. They watched as the young men and women danced and listened as Tubu explained the meaning.

The Fire God created two people. The Hinia and the Criba lived in the Fire God's shadow in peace. But the Hinia were smarter than the Criba and they soon came to rule the Criba. This angered the Fire God and he blackened the Criba's heart. Then the Criba rose up against their peaceful masters, the Hinia, and slaughtered them. Those who were not captured or killed escaped to the sacred land which was near the Fire God's shadow. Those who were captured were fed to the Fire God to appease His wrath. But now, when the Fire God begins to awaken, the Criba come to capture the Hinia so he will sleep again.

As Myriam relayed the story to Garion, she could see that he was fascinated by one of the dancers. It was Tubu's daughter again. Garion followed with great interest every movement of her body. Myriam became annoyed with his irreverence and elbowed him in the ribs on several occasions.

When the feast was ended, Myriam asked Tubu if he could have them taken back to their friends. Tubu told her that it was not safe to travel through the jungle at night, and they would stay in the village until morning. Myriam tried to convince the chief to let them return to their ship, but to no avail.

They were escorted back to the same hut they had used before and left alone together.

Myriam began to undress as Garion paced the room uncomfortably. "I guess you liked that girl, huh Garion?"

"What? What are you talking about?" Garion was trying his best not to blush, but he did anyway.

Myriam looked at him for a moment, removed her top, and just sighed. "Oh well, I guess we'll just have the make the best of it." Garion turned away from Myriam's exposed body as he fumbled for something to do with his hands. She walked over to him and touched his broad back. "What's the matter Gar? I thought you liked girls?"

He turned to look at her, but before he could speak, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately.

"I guarantee you that I have forgotten more about pleasing a man than that little trollop will ever know."

The morning sun was nearly above the trees before Garion awoke to the sound of yelling.

"Myr?", he called out, but he was alone.

He quickly dressed trying not to remember the events of last night. As he left the hut, he saw the villagers gathering around Tubu. They were yelling and crying at each other. Myriam was talking to the chief, when he approached them.

"What's going on?" he asked.

Myriam turned to him and said, "They're gone! Beloram, Vartan, the sailors. They're gone!"

"What happened?"

"The men that went to take supplies to them never returned last night. Another group went this morning, but all they found were footprints, some broken clubs, and blood. Everybody is gone!"

"Does he know who did this?"

Myriam asked the chief, but he didn't respond. He only pointed over his shoulder to the smoldering volcano as the villagers started chanting "Criba. Criba. Criba."

"Garion, we've got to do something."

Two of the Hinia men escorted Garion and Myriam to the beach where they had left the others the previous day. There were signs of a struggle. Several footprints led from the waters edge about 50 yards away to the remnants of a small fire.

"I was beginning to wonder if they had taken you too." Vartan's voice made them jump. His body then materialized next to Myriam.

"Vartan! Thank Mystra your safe." Myriam hugged the old elf.

The two villagers dropped to the ground and cowered in fear.

"Vartan. What happened? Where's Beloram and the others?", Garion asked excitedly.

"We were sitting around the fire with the natives that brought the food and water. Next thing I knew, we were surrounded by more villagers wearing large masks. They jumped out of the dark with these clubs," Vartan kicked at one of the broken clubs next to him, "and started beating us. I was struck over the head and fell. As the others fought back, I was barely able to make myself invisible before I blacked out. When I awoke, the fire was out and everyone was gone, even the men left on the ship."

Myriam spoke to the Hinia and they cautiously stood up. After a brief conversation with them, they turned and walked back into the jungle.

"What was that all about?", Garion asked.

Myriam laughed. "They thought Vartan was a demon."

"Ignorant humans. It's no wonder your race dies so young. If you lived as long as elves, I can't even imagine the trouble you would be able to get yourselves into." Vartan turned away from the other two and walked toward the waters edge.

Garion asked her, "Did they tell you where the others were taken?"

"No. They wouldn't say. They said it was bad luck to speak of the Fire God."

"Fire God?" Vartan turned to face them. He then raised his eyes to the volcano directly behind them. "I know where they are."

Once aboard the ship, Garion and Vartan set to the task of raising the anchor. They had the wind in their favor, but Myriam was quickly losing her patience with the uncooperative sail. Finally, they managed to start moving.

"See the darker colored water Garion?", Vartan asked.

Garion simply nodded.

"Stay in it. The lighter the water, the more shallow it becomes. Okay?"

Although Garion had never sailed a large ship before, he knew enough to stay out of the shallow water. Besides, Vartan had never even been on a ship until this voyage, so what made him such an expert. Still Garion decided to humor the elf and he once again nodded his head in simple agreement.

As the ship traveled around the Hinia's island, the water got noticeably rougher. This side of their island was protected by a submerged reef and high cliff walls. Eventually, another island could be seen. It was also carpeted by a lush green jungle, but the far side of the island rose up to the towering summit of a volcano.

"I'll bet that's where we'll find our Fire God." Vartan pointed to the dark smoke rising out of the peak.

"I wish there was a way to hide this ship. We're sure to be seen by the Criba.", said Myriam.

"I doubt that it matters.", interrupted Garion. "They already know we're here. Look." Garion motioned toward the beach ahead of them. It was lined with Criba warriors climbing into small boats.

Garion and Myriam rushed to their cabin to put on their armor. He helped her get into her heavy scale mail.

"I'm sure he is still alive Myr," he said reassuringly.

"Thanks Garion, but you and I both know that is most likely not true" She turned to look him in the face.

He stared into her green eyes for a moment. She was a rare beauty, Garion thought. Fiery red hair that hugged her delicate curves. Mischievous green eyes that danced with limitless joy. And a rugged determination that made her incapable of failure.

"Now get your armor on Gar. It's time to kill bad guys." She raised up on her toes and kissed his cheek softly. Then quickly turned and left the room.

Garion could not help watching her figure as she walked away. There was something hypnotic about it. When she was gone, he scolded himself severely. What was he doing? Beloram and Myriam were his best friends. They had adventured together since they had found him lying in a street, half dead, in some nameless town on the Borderlands of Paltros. How could have betrayed his best friend so easily? And Myriam? What would happen to their friendship now? Garion struggled with theses questions as he slipped into his armor. The large metal plates gave him a familiar comfort as he strapped them to his legs and shoulders. The large breastplate he buckled across his chest was dented and scarred from many battles. If only there was a way to put armor around his heart, he thought. It was certainly going to take a beating before all of this was over.

By the time Garion had reached the deck and the fresh salt air washed over him, Myriam and Vartan were preparing to anchor the ship. There were five small boats headed their direction filled with natives carrying spears and shouting wildly.

"They look pretty optimistic," Myriam commented to nobody in particular.

"Vartan, what is your plan," Garion asked from behind the two?

The mage was leaning against the railing, studying the situation with cold, calculating eyes. Finally, he spoke in a determined voice. "As long as they stay in this formation, I'll be able to hit most of them with a blast of fire. But after that, or if they separate, I can't guarantee they won't reach the side of the ship. Be ready if they do for close quarter combat. Most of my spells are only effective at range so you will have to rely on your weapons after that."

"I wish we had Beloram's bow to aid us." Garion was speaking to himself.

"Garion! Quit wishing for what you don't have and concentrate on what's about to happen." Myriam's voice had the same effect as ice water being thrown in his face.

Vartan went to the aft deck which was higher than the mid deck for a better advantage. He could hear the warriors shouts of bloodlust as they neared the ship. Luckily, they had stayed together for protection, and Vartan readied his spell.

Garion pulled his bastard sword from it's sheath and readied himself.

Myriam raised her mace into the air with her left hand and held her holy symbol with the other. She closed her eyes tightly as she prayed to Mystra. The head of here mace began to glow with a green light as Mystra's power surged through her. She opened her eyes and grinned. "This is for you, Bel."

There was a sudden rush of air as Vartan released his fire spell. A small flame shot from his outstretched hands towards the group of small boats. When it reached it's destination, the spell released it's energy with all of the fury of hell. A deafening shockwave rocked the entire area as the small flame exploded into a giant ball of heat and fire. Those caught immediately in the explosion were destroyed. Charred bodies and flaming wood flew high into the air before falling into the water. The warriors in the two boats not directly hit by the spell were thrown into the water by the force of the erupting spell. They splashed and howled in fury and pain. Some still wanted to fight while others, confused by the devastation surrounding them, tried to swim for the shore.

Myriam and Garion watched in awe at the carnage. But it only took a few moments before the killing continued. The water churned with blood as the remaining natives began to disappear under the surface. The hunters of the sea were upon them now. Sharks were attacking them from every direction as they screamed in agony.

"It looks like they won't be bringing any trophies home to show the kids." Vartan's voice was cold indifferent to the panicked screams of the dying warriors. "Lower the boat Garion."

Garion, repulsed by the feeding frenzy of the sharks, looked at Vartan and then at Myriam. Her face was pale as she watched the hopeless natives disappear under the churning dark red water. Vartan seemed particularly pleased with his handiwork.

Once the small lifeboat was in the water, the three climbed into it. His cumbersome armor made movement difficult as Garion reached for the oars, but he didn't mind the weight. He knew that once they were on dry ground, the Criba would have the advantage, and Vartan's spells would be far less useful.

When they were nearer to the beach, Vartan motioned to Garion. "There is a river over there." He pointed at it and Garion nodded. "We may be better able to slip in undetected from it's banks than trying to cross a sandy beach."

Garion rowed into the wide mouth of the slow moving waterway. It was not deep here, but once the passed the sandy delta, the black river bottom quickly disappeared from view. Large trees over hung the water with branches full of sound and movement. This was an eriee place unlike the more serene jungle on the Hinia's island.

As Garion quietly rowed up the lazy river, he saw Myriam's eyes grow wide and a scream escaped her lips before she could clench her mouth shut. Birds flew from the trees above them at the shrill sound. He turned around to face the bow of the boat and saw six poles lining the river. On three of the poles were severed heads. Garion scanned the repulsive scene for a recognizable face. The heads belonged to three of the ship's crew. Garion was relieved that his friend was not among them.

Myriam sobbed uncontrollably as she hid her face in her hands. "Mystra deliver us.", she chanted softly to herself.

Vartan peered into the surrounding jungle with his elvish eyes. A flash of heat running away caught his attention. It looked like a child, but he couldn't be sure from the distance. "Time to get going people."

Garion rowed hard to put some distance between them and the poles.

"Let's go ashore over there.", Vartan said motioning to the side of the river that the poles were not on.

There was a small inlet there that the boat could be pulled into, and an attempt was made to hide it with surrounding brush.

The three adventurers then marched off into the dense undergrowth of the jungle. Small creatures scurried unseen as they went making their progress slow and calculated.

Myriam stopped to wipe some sweat from her face when the forest seemed to erupt around her. The savage roar froze the cleric in her place as the lumbering beast pounced. Before anyone could react, the great beast was upon her, its claws ripping at her armored chest. She cried out terror, using her arms to keep the animals sharp teeth from finding her neck.

Garion was only stunned for a moment. He quickly rushed to Myriam's aid drawing his large sword on the way. He took a mighty swing, but tripped on some unseen root in the undergrowth. The powerful swing glanced harmlessly off of the creatures back as Garion hit the ground hard. His sword had dropped and was lying just out of his reach when he looked up and saw that fearsome beast staring at him. It slowly turned from Myriam's still body and growled at Garion. In an instant, the huge cat-like creature was leaping through the air intent on devouring Garion. He quickly reached for his knife and rolled onto his back. The beast landed on his breast plate, its massive bulk pushed him into the soft earth.

Garion reached upward with his knife and slashed at the creatures exposed belly.

The knife found its mark and sliced through animal's thick hide, spilling its guts over him. The creature howled in pain, but Myriam silenced it with a viscious blow from her mace that caved in its skull.

Garion crawled out from beneath the dead carcass, his body covered in its fluids. He wiped his knife and put away before retrieving his lost sword.

"Are either of you hurt?", Vartan whispered.

Besides a lot of scratches, both had escaped the encounter unscathed, and shook their heads no.

"Then lets get going, before anything else shows up."

Vartan led the way followed closely by Myriam. Garion brought up the rear, constantly scanning the jungle for any hint of danger. Eventually, they reached another river. A large tree had been uprooted and laid across the water like a bridge.

"Myriam, you first." Vartan helped her onto the narrow trunk. "Whatever you do, don't fall in. I hate to think what might be in that water waiting for you."

"Vartan, why are we crossing another river? It seems we are moving farther away from the village."

Vartan looked at Garion with contempt. "How your uneducated kind ever found your way out of the forest and evolved is a mystery to me. This is the same river. We've just made a large circle back to it. Those poles are about half a league in that direction." Vartan pointed down stream. "Your next. Watch your step."

Once across the river, the three continued through a grassy clearing. As they entered the dense jungle again, Vartan fell farther behind the other two without their noticing it. Before long, he was nowhere to be seen.

Garion froze in his steps. "Myr, Vartan is gone!"

She spun around to face him. "Vartan!", she called trying not to make too much noise. "Stop playing games!"

Only the birds in the branches over head answered her. Then everything was silent.

"This is not good.", Garion whispered. "I think it's time to go!"

Panic quickly over took them as they ran full speed towards the river. As they entered the clearing again, a shower of arrows rained down on them. Myriam screamed as Garion jumped in front of her to shield her from the deadly missiles.

Garion waited, eyes shut, for the inevitable. And he waited. Finally, he opened one eye cautiously. There weren't any arrows sticking out of his chest as he expected. Every single arrow had missed. He could then see the group of Criba warriors that were surrounding them, their small bows drawn, sharp arrow tips pointed directly at him.

Again they loosed their arrows with deadly accuracy. And as before, every arrow glanced off some invisible shield flying harmlessly away from them.

Garion decided not to allow fate a third chance to change her mind. He drew his sword and with a thunderous battle cry plunged headlong into the stunned group of natives. With large arcing swings, he waded into them, blood and chunks of flesh went sailing through the air. One of the Criba took a swing at his thigh, shattering his club across the iron plating of Garion's armor. Garion stumbled with the blow, but quickly found his footing, and with a savage swing, the Criba's head left its body and landed in the river.

Myriam was now fully engaged in the battle, spurred on by Garion's bloodlust. She hit one of the warriors in the knee causing him to instantly fall to the ground in agony. Before she could administer the killing blow to ease his suffering, she felt a sudden pain across her back. Her knees buckled as she dropped to the ground. On her hands and knees, she turned her head to see her attacker, a large native, his naked body painted red, was standing over her. His face was distorted in a savage growl as he raised his club to finish her off.

Myriam took aim on the native's exposed groin, and with all the strength she could summon, she dropped to her shoulder and kicked her foot directly up into him. The warrior's eyes bulged as he dropped his club and grabbed himself. Myriam twisted out of the way and quickly regained her feet as the big man dropped to his knees. Myriam lifted her mace, and with a solid hit on the back of his skull, ended his misery forever.

Garion was trying to pull his sword from the chest of a dying Criba when he saw three more charging him. Their clubs held menacingly over their heads as the ran. Garion frantically pulled at his stuck sword, the natives only moments from reaching him, when a bright light streaked across the clearing striking them. Their bodies convulsed violently as the lightning spell discharged its energy into them. Garion dropped back pulling his sword free, but his enemies were now only mounds of smoldering flesh, barely recognizable as human.

Vartan, standing across the small clearing, was now visible to the others. Garion looked around the battlefield for Myriam. She was standing near the jungle, her bloody mace dragging the ground behind her as she slowly walked toward him. Her armor was stained with blood, but she had no visible wounds.

"Myr, you all right?" Garion's voice was labored. He dropped his sword and bent over with his hands on his knees to catch his breath. He was surounded by the mangled bodies of the Criba warriors.

Vartan moved closer to them, watching for anymore surprises.

When Myriam was close to Garion, she collapsed with exhaustion. Laying on the ground, gasping for breath, she said "I'm fine. So how have you been, Garion?"

They both started laughing.

"Well I'm glad to see you are both in such high spirits.", remarked Vartan. "Now if you don't mind, we really should be going before more of them show up."

Garion extended his hand to Myriam and helped her get up.

"You could sure use a bath, Gar." Myriam's laughter was playful. "How about we lose the elf again and then we can both get cleaned up?"

Vartan raised an eyebrow and then said "Nobody lost me human. I hid so that I could better serve you in the fight. If it wasn't for my spell, you would both look like a couple of pin cushions right now." Vartan moved ahead of them, his every movement dripping with annoyance. "Foolish humans have no respect." Vartan's voice trailed off as he moved farther away.

"I think its your turn to apologize Myr."

"What, I apologized last time. Remember? The dwarvish inn keeper and the candle wax."

Garion smiled and began to laugh. "Yeah. He was pretty mad about that one, wasn't he? Alright Myr, I'll do it."

As the three of them neared the Criba village, a pungent odor became apparent. Vartan waited, crouched behind a large bush, for the other two to catch up to him. "The village is right through that stand of trees. Wait here for me to return, and stay hidden." He touched his ring and vanished from their sight.

Garion and Myriam crawled as far into the large bush as possible, hoping to escape detection and waited.

Vartan walked stealthfully into the village clearing. He couldn't be seen, but a sensitive ear or noise could still detect him. The village contained about fifty grass huts surrounding a large central structure. A roar came from the center hut followed by a chorus of cheers. Sounds like their having a party, he thought to himself.

He carefully entered the building, watchful not to bump into anyone. The air inside hung heavy with the foul smoke from a smoldering pile of human and animal remains. The building was packed with natives gathered around a large open pit. The sounds of crunching bones and growling beasts were coming from the pit. Vartan edged closer until he had a good view of the killing pit. A large cat-like beast similiar to what had attacked them in the jungle was eating one of the sailors. Its massive paws held the dying man still while its powerful teeth ripped strips of bloody flesh from his body.

At the edge of the pit across from Vartan, he saw three poles sticking out of the ground. One was empty, but Beloram and another sailor were tied to the other two. Their naked bodies showed signs of multiple beatings. The sailor was unconscious and badly bleeding from a stomache wound. Beloram was staring into the pit, watching the grotesque display in horror.

A large native directly in front of Vartan shouted something incoherent, and the rest of the crowd howled in agreement. Two of the Criba moved over to Beloram and began to cut him loose.

Vartan knew if he was to save Beloram, he would have to act fast.

Once Beloram was loose and being moved to the edge of the deep pit, Vartan cast his first spell. The dimly lit room was now filled with an impenetrable darkness. The natives were confused, and began to cry out in a mass panic. Vartan, using his Elvish vision, moved forward and pushed the Criba leader into the pit with the starving beast. He could see Beloram teetering at the edge of the pit, but managed to grab him right before he to fell in.

"Beloram," he shouted over the frightened cries of the natives! "Can you run?"

Beloram was dazed and confused from the hours of torture he had suffered. He weakly said "yes."

Garion and Myriam had moved to a better spot to see the whole village. Suddenly, they could see frightened villagers running out of the central building.

"Let's go," urged Myriam.

"Vartan said to wait."

"Fine, you wait. I'm going in there!"

Garion reached tried to stop her, but Myriam was already running into the village, her mace at the ready.

"Damn foolish woman," Garion cursed!

He jumped to his feet and raced after her, his sword held tightly in his hand.

By the time they reached the first group of huts, they could see Vartan half carrying Beloram out of the large building.

When they got to Vartan, they both grabbed Beloram and turned toward the jungle. Vartan was breathing hard from his efforts and glanced over his shoulder to see if anybody was following him.

There were. Three Criba men were running after them carrying small bows ready to fire.

"I think not," the elvish mage exclaimed! He pointed at the three men and six spheres of blue flame shot from his hand. The three Criba had stopped to prepare to fire when they were each struck directly by two of the flaming spheres. As each missle hit its intended target, it made no noticable wound, but the Criba fell dead on the ground.

"Let's finish this here and now." Vartan motioned toward the central building and released another spell. A small flame once again shot from his outstretched fingers.

Garion turned just in time to see the spell fly through an opening past a mother running with a small child. Then the spell erupted into a giant fireball that sent flaming debris and body parts high into the air. The woman carrying the child was engulfed in flames as she ran a few more steps and then collapsed on top of the crying infant.

The devastation was absolute. Nothing survived Vartan's spell. He stood motionless as the hot wind from the burning structure rushed past him, enjoying his moment of victory.

But Garion could only hear the pathetic cries of woman and children as they were burned alive. He dropped Beloram and spun around surprising Myriam.

Myriam cried out, "Garion, what are you doing?"

Garion did not answer. He walked briskly toward Vartan, intent on confronting his shameful action.

"Oh Mystra! Bel, I'm gonna set you down right here. Okay? Garion's lost it." She carefully lowered Beloram to the ground and then chased after Garion.

Vartan turned toward the others just as Garion reached him. A right punch from the large man caught him off guard and sent him tumbling backwards.

"You butcher," Garion yelled! "There were innocent women and children in there!"

Vartan shook off the dizzyness and wiped his bleeding mouth. He then looked at Garion and grinned. "Innocent? Innocent of what, you fool?"

Garion moved closer to the elf as he was getting up. "You had no right to kill them!"

Vartan straightened and looked the big man in the eyes. "Those woman and children were cheering as your friend up there was being tortured to death." Vartan's voice was very calm as he met Garion's steeley gaze unafraid. "Go ask your friend up their how much mercy they deserved, you self-righteous bastard."

"I see things very clearly elf. I believe what seperates me from my enemy is that fact that I don't act like my enemy. Now that might not sound like a lot to you mage, but it's all I have, and if you don't want to become my enemy, I suggest you stop acting like one of them!"

"Stop it Garion! Please." Myriam grabbed Garion by the shoulders as she stepped between them.

"Move Myriam. I want to teach this lad a lesson he won't soon forget." Vartan's voice now hinted of the anger that was raging inside of him. "This insolent brat dares to lecture me on morality?"

Myriam remained between the two with her back to Vartan as she pleaded with Garion. "There is no honor here my friend. Let's just take Bel, and leave this awful place behind us." Her eyes were filling with tears as she looked into his.

He looked away from her and then at Vartan. "Myriam is right. But this is not over Vartan."

Then Garion turned around and walked back to Beloram with Myriam following closely.

Vartan rubbed his sore jaw as he watched them. "No my friend, this is certainly not over."