The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Random thoughts.

James Crow

I have a story likelike idea and like to hear what anyone thinks.  The idea would be a rpg like story that anyone can join called The Adventure's Guild.  And the premise would be you make your adventure and go on quest.  The guest are more like a story starter that you write about completing.  If you want to complicate it you would end your writing with a ... And that gives anyone a chance to add a complication with a bit of luck thrown in (a coin flip, die roll, ect.) with one result making you worse off.  Example:  You are pick herbs and want a complication, so you get captured by bandits with a coin flip: heads you have a serious wound or tails you are just tied up.

If it goes well enough there would be an overarching plot with twist and turns.

So what do you guys think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Labyrinth looks fun, and I looked at the Werwolf games a bit.  I will look deeper later.  But I want something more simple and much complex.  Let me attempt to explain.

My buddy that got me my new job that blesses me with time and attitude to once again write reintroduced me into D&D.  And then we stopped.  He had classes so he could improve his spot at work and a full time job, and I have a new job.  But now I have the itch.  And I have tried Jumpchains and CYOAs but there is a problem.  People.  I need some one else to play with, and I know it's childish but it's true.  Being in a group and adventuring is funner.  Like a vacation or a good restaurant, having some one to share the experience with makes it better.

Now the pitch.  I want to make a perpetual machine.  The idea is there will be no one master  to the game.  There will be a pool of quest anyone can take.  Higher quest add complications with more or less if people work together.  And if you want to spice up your quest you add a ... letting anyone to add a complication.  Nothing fatal, and if you can't figure out how to make your character get out alive you have a few choices, either take a serious flaw, like lost limb or eye of loss of ability, or call for help which end your story bit with a HELP. And there could be hirerlings, character concepts anyone can use.  And the world will be built by everyone's description of the world.  And if it's bigger, then I can add more of the complicated ideas I have.

That's most of what I have planned for now.  And I'm still not sure how good it sounds, but I like the idea of no one person that everything depends on.  An rpg ran by the players.  A perpetual rpg.

So, thoughts?

Edited by James Crow

O.K., I believe you want (let me know if I'm wrong or in the ballpark at least!) a cooperative storyline (NIMBALL(tm), Death of the Mighty Pen, etc.) with random generation for certain actions. I know there are 1 player RPG's, unsure if those rules might work (haven't actually looked at one but I believe DriveThruRPG has some that can be downloaded for free). I do think I know where I can get a generic random generator. Not sure if I can attach it in a way that it comes up whenever anyone posts in that specific thread or if I'd have to set it up like the Literature Clock. Also don't know if it will save the results to keep everyone honest! A basic 1-5 level of severity might be enough or a 1-10 level of good to bad outcome? There are also online tabletop rpg systems (D&D has one) that allow for players to play online like they were in-person gaming, not sure if any are free or if that would even work for this. Just throwing out ideas!

Imma go yell at my car now, it knows why!

I think we could totally world-build a cooperative writer's group game, not necessarily actual D&D but we can definitely use the characters or design it along similar lines? For example; my family like to play & I, although I have never played, greatly enjoy listening to them talk about their campaigns back & forth and laughing about the stuff they did. Taking it 1 steep further we could just have our own no-rules campaign with a bunch of Pennites, jumping in to play whomever or whatever character we "are"... it definitely would be a lot like Death of the Mighty Pen or other threads here :)

I say let's do it

I mean I'm already a Muse, might as well continue flitting around obnoxiously chitttering at people until they talk back 🤣