The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Weatherman

James Crow

It seems to rain here every day, I murmured to myself, as the storm outside raged. I heard the sound of my office door open, and the sweet voice of a young lady say, ”Ar...are you James Crow.”

I sighed and spun on my heels, “Yes mam I am the one and only James Crow. How may I help you?” As the lighting flashed I saw the lady, she was stunning. Little shorter than me, wearing a bright green dress that was too big for her. I would guess her age to be around, twenty-one, the same as me. She had long straight white hair, and stunning gray eyes.

“My name is Jessy Robin, and all the other weathermen said that you were the one that would take my case.” I raised a eyebrow as I gave her another good look. She had been crying, more I would say than the rain outside. “Why are you looking at me so strangely, Mr. Crow.”

“Trying to find your angle Ms. Robin.” I could see a look of horror and confusion in her eyes. I gave a deep sigh, this was going to be a long night with some long stories. I went to my old leather chair and sat down. “Ms. Robin, me and the other weathermen don't get along. I am new on their turf, and I doubt they would send a case my way. So what do you want?”

She looked nervous as she lowered her head and simply said, “I want to go up the Tower.”

I gave a cough of surprise, out of all the things I could hear, that was something I thought I would never hear! “Do you even know what those things are?”

“They are the gateway to heaven.” Her eyes started to stare off into space and a smile started to creep onto her lips. “They are above the storm, where the sun is.”

I shook my head and said, “No!” Her eyes snapped back to reality and her smile vanished, she looked nice when she smiled. “The Towers lead to the machines making the storms, the only thing keeping us alive from the radiation of the sun. Also no one has been up there in over fifty years, that is when maintenance stopped and it was deemed to dangerous. They locked it up and created the weathermen organization to keep moral and hope up that the sun would shine again.”

Slowly I heard the sound of sniffling and saw that she was crying. “But..but I have this.” What she produced from a pocket gave me the shivers. It was only an inch long quartz stone, with what look like gold lettering saying 'dog a ton era uoy rebmemer'.

“Do you know what that is?” As I spoke I muttered those lines and prayed she did not know.

“The key to the tower.”

I took a step back. “Where did you find such a thing.” I could not help it, my voice was steeped in terror.

“My dad, he was the last one up the Tower. He said that when I was old enough that I should go find him.”

“But that was....” I started to say.

“Fifty years ago.” She interrupted. I started to shake my head and take even more steps back. But I couldn't, my back hit the wall. Horror had covered my entire face by now. I looked out my window and saw Frank Seagull's office, and Seagull. His body was hanging from his window, a rope around his neck. I spun around as lighting struck. The gir...thing was just a few inches from me saying, “Please...HELP ME!!”

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

I woke to the boom of thunder. My heart was going so fast and sweat was pouring down my face. After a few deep breathes I could hear the sound of the rain outside. I took a sigh and then remembered, I jumped up to the window and saw Seagull working at his desk. Was it all a dream I muttered to myself. Shaking my head I turned around and let out a gasp of horror. On the floor was an inch long quartz stone with gold lettering saying 'dog a ton era uoy rebmemer'. And I knew I had to solve this case, with a solemn look I gazed out my window and saw the Tower in the distance. I am going to climb it, and figure everything out. As I was walking out the door I swear that I saw Robin out of the corner of my eye and heard her say, “I'll be waiting.” But when I turned to look there was no one there.

Edited by James Crow

• 3 weeks later...