The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Mirror

Degorram

*A poem on a struggle that pretty much every girl goes through at least once. Some struggle with it their entire lives.*

You don't believe me, you think I lie.

How can you trust your own lying eyes?

All of these years you see

something that cannot be.

Why won't you listen?

Yet I always will turn to my darker voice.

I can't believe I have a choice.

I will not tell you what is not true.

Open your eyes and begin anew.

Always you run from this,

choosing the angry hiss

of your confusion.

But how can I believe

in what I cannot perceive?

I cannot take you at your word;

not for something so absurd.

To think that I am beautiful

when I look in the mirror and see myself.

Nicely put. I'd have to say just about every human goes through a period of low self-esteem at least once. Having been through a nice long period myself, I STILL find it annoying as all-get-out, when anyone puts themselves down unjustly, ie a beautiful girl calling herself ugly, or a brilliant person calling themselves stupid (they sure are acting as such for believing it, especially when they don't believe they have a choice).

Beauty itself is subjective. It's one thing that cannot exist without its polar opposite, and one with an ever changing meaning - We could not define beauty without ugliness, or good without bad, or dark without light. In the late Victorian era, obesity was found to be attractive in a woman, whereas now, it is found to be unattractive. In fact, I've found my tastes seem to be unique where it comes to beauty, further illustrating the point. If you still can't like what you see, change it. It will take work, but it's worth it if you want to better yourself in your own self-image.

Extremely minor edit: As I'm sure you know, typically every line in a poem begins with capital letters or all lower-case letters. I am trying to find a pattern as to why you did otherwise but I cannot. If this was an accident, you may wish to correct it.

Extremely minor edit: As I'm sure you know, typically every line in a poem begins with capital letters or all lower-case letters. I am trying to find a pattern as to why you did otherwise but I cannot. If this was an accident, you may wish to correct it.

Actually, this is a common misconception. Poems do not 'typically' begin with capital letters at every line; it is entirely up to the poet to decide. In fact, it's practically grammatically incorrect to do so. Imagine a sentence Written with a capital letter In every place There is supposed to be A break. Looks silly, doesn't it? Same with poetry. It's all personal taste.

I used to capitalize every first letter in my poetry, until this was pointed out to me ages and ages ago. Then I realized, yes, it does look silly. So I changed my style. No wish to correct it here.

Just because it is a matter of taste doesn't mean it is not typical. I am perfectly aware it's a matter of taste; that's why it was a minor edit, and why I only suggested you change it only if it was accidental. I was half asleep the first time I read that, and I can see the pattern now: You only begin a line with a capital letter when a new sentence begins. On a second inspection you have a semi-colon where there should be a comma or colon

I cannot take you at your word;

not for something so absurd.

"not for something so absurd" is a dependant clause.

And no, it does not look silly to me.

Edited by Atadiusti