The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Solorassil

Hjolnai

Solorassil

(I may or may not end up sorting this somehow, and indexing it.)

Brief description

Solorassil's most immediately apparent feature is a strange mist which flows gradually around him. Within this, he is apparently a fairly short humanoid figure, though whether the shadowy fog is natural or a curse on an otherwise mundane being, only he could say.

When he speaks, he would seem personable enough if it weren't for a slight lack of depth to his voice, and a habit of pausing as if stunned at any new development. Certainly he is willing enough to give anecdotes from his past, though these seem too varied to come from one human lifespan; he will even discuss his unusual attributes if asked, though rarely will he repeat the same story in answer.

History

As in the brief description, Solorassil will happily speak of his history, but as he speaks of many different experiences none of this can be taken at face value, and he often seems to be joking. Certainly he speaks of knowing several trades which can take a lifetime to master, and mentions places no one has heard of.

In case you wanted his actual history, I don't have any to give you. Sorry, but it's something I may add later.

Motivation (Your character does NOT know this)

Despite an appearance of personability (perhaps to compensate for the expected distrust his shrouded appearance might bring), he is actually a cold and calculating being. Solorassil has one main purpose in life: to gather memories of strong positive emotions (or just knowledge; this isn't a finished character, but in a state of flux to some extent), generally taken by force from the minds of others. However, he follows this goal with almost infinite patience, often being willing to wait years to gain access to a single source, and rarely draining enough memories to have their loss immediately obvious to the victims or their friends. This patience may stem from the fact that being caught could be fatal, and then there would be no more chances to collect memories.

In rare cases, such as encountering a lone wanderer in the wilds, Solorassil may take more extreme steps. Generally, if the wanderer is not expected somewhere (as seen in their memories), Solorassil may take far more from their minds, potentially almost all they remember, before killing them to destroy the evidence. This is because the chance of discovery is low, while the addition to his stock of memories is substantial. One cannot steal memories without some risk, after all.

His motive for remaining at the Pen keep is simple enough. Should he wait long enough to seem not at all suspicious, there is a plentiful supply of victims for him to take a tithe of memories from, enough to make waiting worthwhile. The only risks before then, after all, are of people trying to cure his misted appearance and so discovering that it is natural to him. (You didn't think he was really human, did you?)

Still to be considered: particular flaws apart from being cold, calculating and memory-collecting, as he is a bit one-dimensional

Currently under consideration: greed (in the financial sense, not food), pride, hidden contempt for "ordinary" people, cowardice, any other flaw someone suggests

Also to be considered: reasons for wanting memories

Abilities

Solorassil's main ability is his capacity to steal memories. The method he uses is obviously hostile and very difficult for a single victim to avoid, but leaves him highly vulnerable to others and is obviously hostile (I haven't decided quite how it will work yet). It also leaves the victim unaware of the attack, provided he has time to take the memories of the few seconds before his memory-draining took effect.

The many memories he has stolen in the past provide him with a number of abilities. Certainly he has taken memories from a chef at some point in the past, and it is unknown precisely what other skills he has. One particular facet of this is magic. By stealing the memory of a spell, he may cast it himself, though it will vanish from his mental grasp once cast (as the power to cast it would also come from the mage's mind).

Finally, Solorassil has strong mental capacity to judge consequences and probabilities; it is this which allows him to determine the best course of action to take for future gain. However, he tends to stop doing anything while thinking, which is a suspicious act he hasn't noticed himself yet.

Equipment (None has actually been seen yet, due to the mists shrouding him)

Ordinary clothing (where "ordinary" will have to remain undefined for now)

1 normal dagger

1 small wand of stunning, limited charges, not very powerful (easy to resist)

I may add more as time goes by, but not in the middle of an adventure.

Other

I don't mind if someone writes in Solorassil's actions a bit, just don't go making him blurt out secrets.

Also, I may at some point search for volunteers to have their characters' memories sifted (and I'll probably do it to one of my characters too).

If so, I'd show the volunteer what I write before releasing it.