When you tear away the full disguise

And find the center of my illusion.

I'll be far away from prying eyes

Sacrificing my delusion.

I can dress the part

And I can play the role.

I'm eyeing the sharks.

I'm eating them whole.

I'll be posting a performance of this song as soon as I buy new strings for my guitar.

Edited by Jason Newcomb

I like this a lot, Jason. :>) The way that you structure the verses around todays and tomorrows is very cool, and you can feel the musical quality of the piece in the flow of the lines and the refrain. Thinking about it, the transition from "goat" to "mountain" in the fourth stanza is the opposite of the transitions in the first two stanzas, which were from inhuman things to human things... it was probably intended that way, which is well done. :-) The fifth stanza, with"a float" and "a-marchin,'" was the only one that hinted directly at this being a song, though the repeated refrain did sort of suggest it as well. Looking forward to hearing a recorded musical version of this if you get around to it after buying the guitar strings... thanks for sharing it here!

Thank you Wyvern! I bought strings the other day and will string up within a few weeks. I'm starting a new job so am focusing on that first.

Interesting observation about the human-inhuman transitions. My intent was more to illustrate control, but am glad to see there's more layers to it than I previously thought.