The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Happy bird-day

::I've been a ranger for quite some time now, and I've spent a whole lot of that time among animals, but I've never actually seen it happen, Wuffie.::

The tanuki on his chest thumped its tail enthusiastically.

::But we have to do something!::

::Which brings us back to our original question : what?::

::Are you sure you don't know any bird-day rituals?::

::Absolutely.::

Grinning evilly at the little creature, he added, ::Perhaps we could make a giant omelette? Birds like eggs, right? And tanukis should be good at gathering eggs if I'm not mistaken. How well can you climb a tree?::

The fact that he suddenly had a tanuki jumping up and down on his chest with rather more force than necessary made Stephen laugh.

"Okay, okay, something else then!. A feast would be a little odd, since I'm sure he's a lot better at catching the tastiest mice than we are. What about books? Owls are seen as a symbol of wisdom ... books, reading glasses, that sort of thing. How about a reading party? A bring-your-own-book-and-a-few-extra kind of thing?"

The tanuki thumped its tail on his chest again, rather enthusiastically this time. Suddenly it ran off.

::You get some books to get started!::

Slightly puzzled, Stephen got up and made his way to the library, grabbing a cart that happened to be in his way on the way there so he'd be able to plunder it properly.

When he made it to the conservatory he suddenly felt a tanuki flinging itself into his neck with a mental "Yaaaaarrrr!" from its ambush place on top of the door.

::Go on, slowpoke, start laying out your books all over the tables. I got the glasses.::

Stephen didn't see it, but as he was laying out the books, Tanny followed him, putting a huge pair of reading glasses on every one of them. As they were done, Tanny looked around the room and nodded happily.

::Good, now all we need to do is wait for people, and Patrick, to show up.::

Grabbing the nearest book, she put on the oversized reading glasses and started reading it to Stephen, neither of them realizing that they'd completely forgotten to tell anyone about this ...

OOC: Happy birthday from Tanny and myself, Patrick!

Edited by Venefyxatu

"I don't suppose textbooks count?"

Tanny looked up and thumped her tail excitedly on the ground when she saw Mynx standing there with a small tower of serious looking books.

"Exam time and all, you know," the feline grinned wearily, before producing a large cake with the words 'Happy Bird-Day Patrick!' written on the top in icing and joining the reading party.

OOC: A very happy birthday, Patrick :)

Wyvern slithers his way into the reading alcove bearing a beak-shaped Almost Dragonic Brand Feather Duster and Smoothener™, which comes complete with its own prey-scented bow and hooted birthday telegram. The overgrown lizard drops the gift off at the door and shifts his way through the stacks of lighter reading, pausing at the heavier textbooks to dip a claw into the "Happy Bird-Day Patrick!" cake and taste its icing. The overgrown lizard then shifts and seats himself on an instructional book entitled "Catching Vermin with Catchy Slogans," placing the accompanying glasses on his nose before an idea seeps its way into his seedy head. Wyvern grins and digs into his Hawaiin party shirt, only to pull out an Almost Dragonic Brand Sootsy Pop™. He holds the little obsidian black lollipop up to the light for a moment, tilting his head and examining it with a curious expression.

"How many licksss does it take..."

Wyvern blanks on the rest of his sentence and twitches as the image of Signe with a lollipop pinched between her fingers immediately pops into his head....

OOC: Happy Birthday, Patrick. :-) Hope you had a great one.