The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Flying with the Dawn

Ran Yoko

FLYING WITH THE DAWN

The few minutes before dawn. I stand on the cliff, wings stretched behind me. As the sky lightens, I can see the mist shrouding the trees below the cliff, the mountains in the distance as if they are trying to touch the sky. The sky is painted with dusty rose, pale pink, yellow-white, and blue ranging from pale to midnight as the stars vanish.

The sun appears, bringing with it a breeze that ruffles my wing feathers. I run forward and dive off the cliff. The wind blows my hair and clothes up and fills my wings. As the treetops loom into view, I move my wings down in a stroke that sends me upward. A few more strokes sends me into an air current which takes me higher still.

A joy fills me, and I spin several times with gladness before straightening out. I wave to a flock of geese which head past me to where I came from. They honk in return, knowing I mean them no harm.

I spread my arms out as I sigh happily. The trees flash by below me, and the mountains come closer. I had been gliding, now I flap my wings and catch another air current that takes me high enough to go over the mountains.

Beyond them, the sea looms into view. I smell the salt air, and fly for a few minutes by some seagulls. The ocean is beautiful with the dawn's light reflected. Beyond the reflection, the water turns deep blue green. I glide down and fly just over the water for a few moments. Close to the shore, the underlying sand is in view, but it goes further down until it vanishes into the glassy green depths.

The winds blow me up higher, and I turn around, not wanting to go too far out to sea. Now I can see more clearly the small cove I had passed. As I go over the mountains, I go low enough to snatch a handful of snow and scatter it as I fly higher.

I spot an eagle as I swoop down, snatching a fish from the river. He will eat good this morning. I angle my flight slightly, so as to stay above the waterfall when I come to it. I hear the waterfall before I see it. Water crashing down from a great height, hitting the rocks and creating a great pool before it rejoins the river. I fly through the rainbow at the top of the cliff, before turning slightly to take me home.

I hover above the ground for a moment before landing. As I pull my wings around me to warm me slightly, I glance over to the sunrise. It has finished clearing the horizon.

A steady beeping intrudes. I open my eyes to see the sunrise from my bedroom window. I sit up in my familiar bed, and hit the button on my familiar alarm clock. I sigh heftily. That beautiful place I had flown in now felt strange and foreign to me. After all, it was only a dream of flying with the dawn.

~End~

a very short story, I know. but I've always been fascinated with the idea of having wings and flying, therefore the story you just read. I only wish I COULD have dreams that vivid. :D I don't know if there are mountains that close to the ocean, and if a person could actually do the things I described, but after all it's fantasy, right? anything can happen. ;)

Edited by Sora Hikari

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice picture you paint here, Sora. :-) I really like the detailed imagery of the flight, particularly near the beginning of the take off where the thrill of flying is really relayed through the images and tone. I also thought that the ending was cute and easy to relate to... who hasn't dreamt of flying at some point in their lives, after all? I wouldn't accuse yourself of having vague dreams though... it may simply be that you don't remember all the vivid details when you awaken. ^_- Anyway, nicely done, thanks for sharing this lil piece here.