The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Shadow Hunting" by Tanuchan and Mynx

Wyvern

Glad to see that you two finished this story, I was wondering how it was going to end. :-) I found it very interesting on the whole, though oddly perhaps the most interesting thing about it to me was that it felt very self-therapeutic. I don't know if it's just me, but I really had the sense that the two of you were writing this more for yourselves than for an audience. I don't mean that in a negative way, since I think that it gave the story a very personal undertone beyond the magic and haunted house that kept me interested in it. I think that framing it as a story being told to the naked angel particularly makes it feel like a confession of sorts, and I can't help but feel that there's some event beyond the story that you two are reconciling with this. Of course, it could have also just have been a fictional gap that the two of you felt needed filling... Another thing I like about this story is that there's a sense of closer bonding between Tanuchan and Mynx by the end of it, and I've definitely noticed the two of you collaborating in a number of threads as of late. Cool to get a bit more insight on the backstories of your two characters as well.

I sort of breezed back through the Werewolf thread associated with that Halloween party, I don't think I paid it as much attention to it as it deserved back in the day... I tend to skim or skip over Werewolf threads since Pen characters/history are not typically involved in them, but this one definitely had a great deal of dark and heavy pennite interactions. The cause of the spirit is not 100% clear to me after breezing through it... was this shadow spirit created through cryptomancer's reading of the Necromicon and the bad memories associated with Gryphon's interaction, or was it the thing that sparked that bad memory in the first place? I feel like if I had a clearer sense of the origins of this spirit, I could draw more out of this recent story... Not really the fault of the writing so much as of me needing a Cliff's notes version of it!

Thanks for sharing this little piece of Pen history. :-)

Glad to know you liked the story, Wyv :)

Of course, it could have also just have been a fictional gap that the two of you felt needed filling...

I can't answer completely for Mynx, but we both did for sure want to close that gap; it all started back when Mynx needed Tanny's True Name for her Quill Quest, and we both agreed that a small folow-up to the Halloween '04 WW would be a good setting for a story explaining how Mynx got to know it. She has been poking me for the last two years to have that story written! (She's a most persistent kitty, she is :P)

And it was a very good opportunity, for me, to tell more of Tanny in the process. :)

Telling it to the Naked Angel made more sense to us because both our character have developed quite a lot from the original timeframe, and so it eliminated the need to go back two years in our minds to be able to write it in a coherent way. Plus, it gave us the chance to explain more than the story would have allowed us to.

Hmm... the Spirit... back in the Halloween '04 WW, it was actually my plot device to explain why some Pennites would want to injure/kill their friends; being possessed by a spirit was the easiest way out. All that ended up happening there came out from the RP of the participants, including Cryptomancer's Necronomicon. My reference to this last was just a believable reason to justify the spirit's attacks on Tanny, but you know... now you made me want to find out more about that Spirit!!

*looks for Mynx to see what she thinks about another story....*