The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Up in the Oak Tree

Venefyxatu

OOC : This is Tanny and I having some fun wrapping up our characters' presence in Blby's Greetings thread. It was sufficiently detached from the rest of that thread to warrant being posted separately, but it's probably not a bad idea to head over there first :)

---

Tanny blinked at the feathers all around herself, even sneezing a bit while her hand grabbed the nearest branch. She swore at the sense of humor of nether mages in general, and of a Venefyxatu in particular, before poking Stephen.

The ranger grunted, and Tanny frowned and poked his side harder, none too pleased at finding herself perching on a tree. I'm not a bird! Vene could at least have noticed the difference between Patham and I!

When Stephen woke up, the first thing he felt was a poke. It was closely followed by a headache that quickly made way for another headache. The fourth thing he felt was, upon closer inspection, another headache. After lying still for a little while to prevent the headaches from getting worse, it dawned on him that there were branches underneath him, apparently quite a lot. From this, he deduced that he was not on terra firma.

A few more moments of pondering his way around multiple headaches made him realize that the last thing he remembered was being under terra firma; more specifically in the Mighty Pen's Mighty Wince Cellar. Very mighty indeed ...

After lying still for a little while longer, wondering how long it had been, he decided to risk moving. Immediately after trying, he wished he hadn't ... apparently a certain Wolf-Lady was also no longer on terra firma and was none too pleased with him. If this was what the married men back home were always complaining about, it only reinforced his joy at having ... left. No good to dwell on that right now though ... or to dwell on anything, for that matter. With a muttered “You go on without me” to a very ruffled and befeathered Wolf-Lady, he let himself drift back to sleep.

Edited by Venefyxatu

Or rather, Stephen tried do drif back into sleep. There was something nagging him, and soon he found out that his mind was screaming rather forcefully back at him.

Well, not exactly his mind. There was a most definite Wolf-Ladyish tone to that voice, though some words were not ladyish at all...

:: Stephen Von Hascodem de Tinservale! I am talking to you so you better wake up! ::

That reminded him too much of four things he wanted to forget: first, his headache; second, his name; third, his mother and fourth, his headache. As a result of the shock of this last thought, he opened his eyes just to be sure that the Lady Sepultra remained well away from his current rooms.

Or branches.

The invective of swear words that came after that made him blink a few times and shake his head. Which reminded him why he was so quiet to start with. Flinching, he grumbled. "I should wash your mouth with soap... those are not words suitable for a wolf-lady... or any kind of lady whatsoever."

Tanny stopped mid-sentence, blinking, when a feather whirled down in front of her. Carefully, she took her hands to her hair and found a mess of feathers all tangled up. She sighed, and glowered at the half-asleep ranger. Then, she looked thoughtfully down at the ground, then back straight at Stephen. Her lips curved in a smile, as she sweetened her voice.

"Ok, dear Ranger.... I apologize for all the poking... now, we need to go down there." She pointed to the ground, and she knew very well Stephen couldn't say how far that was.

"Go ahead. I'll be with you after I sleep these headaches off." He turned on his side, the branches under him creaking and opening a bit - enough for one of his legs dangle out and make him try to scramble for purchase.

"You were saying...?" Tanny nudged the branches a bit more with the earth threads she had collected with her skill, and some leaves tickled Stephen's nose.

Stephen, suddenly annoyed at not getting his sleep, muttered "All right, let's go down then." Without skipping a beat, he launched himself towards Tanny, throwing both of them off-balance and heading rapidly towards the earth ...

Air threads flowed out under them, instinctively and awkwardly woven.

With a mighty THUD, Stephen landed heavily but unharmed on the ground. And on top of his stomach, just a tad less heavily, a tanuki followed curled up in a tight ball.

Groggily, Stephen reconsidered the "unharmed" part as Tanny nimbly jumped off him and sat on the ground, grooming her tail.