The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Tenkaichi and Cigarettes

I VERY rarely write poetry, but I was compelled to a few months back, and after Whiskey's encouragement, I decided to post it.

Tenkaichi and Cigarettes

Alienation substation

Skyreaver explosion

How's it going Alan?

Effortless time

By we may often

Towards the sunrise seven

Treasure your symptoms

Laser face

Try not to see it anymore

Portals to makoshift

Classy subversion

Overt after-effects

Trust fund hippie taser

Floundering in excess

Over exerting my everything

Frankly so far

Mother's pain

Tolerance of torture

Trash your speakers

Tesla lies overture

Necrotic tissue

Places a face

Pretend this isnt happening

Right/left objectivity

Very interesting poem, Nyarlathotep. :-) This piece is filled to the brim with inside references like "Alan" and "makoshift," as well as the Dragonball(?) reference of "Tenkaichi" in the title and it's interesting placement next to "Cigarettes." I don't think that there's any real means for a reader to draw a specific meaning from any particular passage of this or from the poem as a whole, but that can often be a very good thing in my opinion. I didn't really get a sense of cohesion between the various lines and references of the poem, but I did feel a certain undertone of youthful rebellion in lines like "Trash your speakers." The arrangement of words in this also struck me as very intriguing at times, with "Tesla lies overture," "Trust fund hippie taser" and "Alienation substation" all standing out to me for their sound and unusual arrangement. One thing that bugs me about the piece is that the final stanza feels like all of the other stanzas, and doesn't seem to offer any sense of closure or tie any other aspect of the piece together... I seem to always still be waiting for the poem to end after "Right/left objectivity."

Anyway, thanks for sharing this unconventional piece of work with us Nyarlathotep. :-) I really appreciate poetry that doesn't simplify itself to the reader for the sake of conveying a message, and this piece definitely avoids doing that!

Hmm. Interesting. Am guessing it's a conversation--radio speak like--in code i.e. using colloquial expressions that I'm not familiar with or something akin to kennings. That's a big guess though. I'll just play around a little and see if I can figure some of it out. Wonder if the more obscure parts are Final Fantasy references?

Tenkaichi and Cigarettes

Alienation substation, (Call Signs? Like Military Radio?)

Skyreaver explosion.

How's it going Alan? (New Voice as in SkyR answering AliSub? or vice versa depending or the call/answer protocol you may be mimicking or even inventing)

Effortless time

By we may often

Towards the sunrise seven (Translation: 5x5 (Army/Air Force Teletype code) i.e. All is well, in addition to a further wish for good luck/fortune? or even a lament if you read "7" as in a losing luck)

Treasure your symptoms

Laser face

Try not to see it anymore (After this point, i loose the conversational thread, unless one voice has decided to go off on a rant/ramble. Of course the conceit that is a conversation is my interpretation, and I may be way off.

Portals to makoshift (Final Fantasy Ref?)

Classy subversion

Overt after-effects

Trust-fund-hippie-taser

Floundering in excess

Over exerting my everything (Touch cliche here man)

Frankly so far

Mother's pain (Advent Children Ref?)

Tolerance of torture

Trash your speakers

Tesla lies overture (Tesla coil? probably not the band, huh?)

Necrotic tissue

Places a face

Pretend this isn't happening

Right/left objectivity

Hmm. This isn't a "Word Poem" is it? Haven't encountered many of those, so am not sure I'd recognize one if I saw one. Like basically a poem based on the sound of the words being used and interplay between the sounds used therein regardless of whether or not the actual line/stanza makes any sense.

Edited by reverie

I wouldn't be so quick to cut yourself down. Set apart your phrases have creative force (particularly the ones in the first stanza), but are not that well connected (if that's what you're going for // there is something to be said for the oblique).

Still just being aware of "syntax" is a step in the right direction. If you want to see a example of a poet that specializes in pushing the syntax envelope to the extreme. Check out Carl Phillips. His more complicated ones read like puzzles in which every individual piece of the poem is loaded with emotional or mental nuance which can change the meaning and direction of the next line/phrase/sentence/fragment. The effect is that each phrase turns on a nuance that is perceived by his use of laser-guided syntax.

Edited by reverie