The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

The underling shivered in a mixture of terror and exhaustion as he knelt before the seated Dark Lord. Although he had done nothing wrong, although he had carried out the orders to a 'T', he was still afraid for his life. Why else would he be kneeling here now, before him?!

The Dark Lord pressed long, pale fingers together in a motion of thoughtfulness, his long dark hair falling in waves about an obscured face. Sitting in a plush red arm chair, his long slender legs crossed before him, he cut an impressive figure. Long black slacks clothed his legs, shiny black shoes covered his long feet, and a billowing white shirt fastened at the wrists by blood red pins frothed out from the tightly fit, black vest that accentuated his narrow waist and broad shoulders. A rose lay along the chair's arm, and the Dark Lord picked it up without a word, a glimmer of eyes appearing in the flickering fire light. The strong line of a smooth jaw, a noble, straight nose, and then the face was lost again in shadow. And that was the way it was supposed to be.

A high cold voice, regal and demanding, protruded from the hidden lips. "I trust that your mission went well, Ukai? After all, I've heard such impressive things about you and your abilities."

Ukai shivered and nodded his balding head, not nearly the impressive figure at all. The Dark Lord's right and left hand men, standing back out of the way, sneered in contempt for the little, slimy urchin, but the Dark Lord kept his eyes fixed upon Ukai. "It is not the first time you have come before me, is it Ukai?"

Ukai shook his head. "N-no my lord," he whispered. "I w-was once h-here at your r-request."

The Dark Lord twirled the rose in his hands, and for a moment the rich red petals disappeared in shadow as he brought them to his face, inhaling their rich, intoxicating scent deeply. Then all of a sudden he stood.

Ukai flinched back as the over six-foot tall man strode to the window at the back, his long hair swaying with his even stride. "And why were you here again? Remind me, I seem to have forgotten."

Ukai withered within. It was not a pleasant night to remember. "I...I had...f-f-failed, my lord."

The Dark Lord turned abruptly back, his eyes glimmering brightly now. "Yes," he hissed. "I remember now." With three long strides he was standing next to the tiny man and shoving his face closer to Ukai's. "It was a pathetic loss," he spat, and Ukai flinched as if the Dark Lord's words were venom. "And I trust that your triumph this night will not swell your head. You've lost enough hair as it is. Tell me, Ukai, make my old ears rejoice and tell me that it will be so."

Ukai nodded fervently. "Yes my lord," he pleaded. "Of course my lord."

The Dark Lord straightened and turned away with a sigh. "Very good. You may go."

Ukai had never walked so fast. As soon as he was out the door he let out a breath of relief, glad to have gotten away with hardly a reprieve at all. Oh he was certain he would not let this go to his head. He remembered all to well the Dark Lord's wrath. And it was not a pleasant memory.

The Dark Lord stared out at the streets, his malevolent gaze watching as Ukai departed down the cobbled lane. Without looking back he addressed his right and left hand men. "Make sure he understands the gravity of his role. I will not have any mistakes about my rule here. And I will not have him thinking he has escaped my gaze."

The two burly men grinned, making various scars twitch and pull. Their various adornments and weapons jostled as they went, and the two left the Dark Lord and began their pursuit of the unfortunate pawn.

Perhaps it would not be such a boring night after all.

Dawn was just trickling through the blinds. The clock ticked, 6 00 showing on its fluorescent green, digital face. A large bed lay against the center wall among a room of disarray, a lump the only sign of life under the covers. The door burst open and a young man flew spread-eagled into the bed, landing on top of the lump and bouncing up and down. A wild groan, matching the bounces as breath was forced out of squeezed lungs, protruded from the blankets and a mass of wild, spiky hair appeared. The young man who had just jumped in, clad in black and navy-blue striped pajamas, grinned wildly, flashing a brilliantly white smile out of his tanned face. "What, still abed at this hour?"

"Gerroutovit..." the blob of blankets snarled.

The tan young man flashed another grin and held up the morning's news. "Don't you want to know the news? Ukai was found last night, beaten and unconscious on the street side. Strangely enough, he wasn't missing any of his money or valuables. Even more strangely, a red rose was found near the scene of the crime. Coincidence? I think not."

The lump suddenly thrashed, blankets flying, and another young man with spiky brown hair ruffled from the pillow appeared, his large green eyes wide in shock. "What!? Someone was attacked? By whom!?"

The young man shrugged and flashed the newspaper. "Doughnuts are half off."

The other young man scrambled from bed. "How can you just act like nothing is happening Lee? This is the biggest event since...since..." he waved a hand vaguely. "Since who knows when, and you're concerned about DOUGHNUTS?!"

Lee tossed the paper over his shoulder. "Yeah well, when you work with a guy who only sleeps and never eats, the stomach tends to protest. Just in case you hadn't noticed, I was talking about you Riad."

Riad scowled. "I do too eat!"

Lee rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Water."

Riad shook his head as he pulled on a jacket. "Yeah, well, this isn't exactly the Kingdom of Neelai is it? We're stranded in stinking Kuunai."

The doorbell rang and Lee made his way towards it, still pouring through the paper. A crash sounded down the hall behind him, followed by Riad's agonized scream of frustration. Lee glanced back to see him on the ground, wrestling with his blankets, when he opened the door.

He turned and froze. Two tall, burly men with strange clothing and covered in weapons and scars, were grinning at him widely. "Going somewhere?"

Lee forced a grin onto his face. "Not really. You rang the doorbell, I answered it."

The men forced themselves inside, eyeing their surroundings contemptuously. Lee's grin disappeared. "By all means, come in," he said blandly.

Riad's voice floated from the room down the hall. "Who is it Lee?"

The two mens' head snapped up and they made the journey down the hall swiftly. Lee hurried after them, his indignation turning swiftly to rage and fear. "What do you want here?" he snarled.

As if on cue, the smaller man turned back, his silvery hair falling across one red rimmed eye. Garbed in a white, flowing shirt with scarlet edges and a scarlet belt, his slacks black and his sandals wooden in the traditional style, the strange man made Lee step back in caution. A katana was sheathed at his hip, and Lee felt his hatred for this freak rising. Especially when he grinned at Lee. Without a word he grabbed the young man and pinned his arms together. Lee struggled wildly, roaring in frustration, and similar noises from down the hall indicated that Riad had been caught to.

Riad was dragged into the hall half dressed, dark black slacks his only garment. His muscular chest gleamed in the light as he struggled, but the right hand man only laughed and grabbed his hair, another hand pinning his hands together behind his back. He carried Riad out the door and the left hand man shoved Lee to the ground, disappearing out into the streets as well.

Lee charged out the door, expecting to pursue the kidnappers and rescue his brother, but they were nowhere to be seen. Chest heaving with exertion and rage and wild fear, Lee looked up and down the street for his brother.

What was he to do now?

Ps! who likes the bad guy already?!! *raucous cheering* that's what I thought!!!

Edited by Kikuyu Black Paws

Wyvern gnaws on the tip of his quill as he reads over Ukai's fate and the abduction of Riad, then rummages through his pouch for a notepad to jot down some almost dragonic interpretations of the latest in Dark Lord fashions. The overgrown lizard nods and doodles a poor stick figure interpretation of black slacks along with a bunch of squiggly dollar signs for sport. He moves the quill with his snout, holding Kikuyu's story in one hand and the notepad in the other.

"These Dark Lord types're all the sssame." Wyvern murmurs through the side of his mouth, causing the quill to twitch and adding jagged edges to an already-edgy doodle of a black vest. "You carry out their ordersss to a 'T,' and they beat ya down Mr. T style as a reward. I'd hate to see what this Dark Lord would do if his orders were carried out to a 'W'... I forgive'im for being his predictable old ssself, though."

Wyvern spits the quill out of his mouth and raises Kikuyu's story in one claw and his notepad in the other. He glances between the two of them, comparing his horrendous doodles to Kikuyu's lavish descriptions. The overgrown lizard then nods in satisfaction and hands Kikuyu's story back.

"Between you and me, that Riad guy got what he had coming." Wyvern nudges Kikuyu with a scaly elbow. "Fasssting is one thing, but an all-water diet is too awful to even think of. Ugh! *shudder*"

Wyvern crumples his Dark Lord fashion doodles into a little ball and crams them into his pouch, then grins.

"Thanksss for the Dark Lord pointers, those evil head honcho types might be suited for almost dragonic fashion exploitation. Pun intended." Wyvern begins wandering out of the Assembly Room, but pauses and turns for a moment near the exit. "Oh, and excellent donut plug! You would've ssscored 100 points under the A.R.S.E for that bit alone

;-)

As dawn broke over Kuunai in a glorious myriad of scarlet and pink and orange, the Dark Lord turned to his window to watch the sunrise. The light hit his face, revealing a smooth, straight jaw, hawkish features, and intelligent, arching brows. His sleek black hair was smoothed back from his brow, and as the light touched it, it glimmered bluely. He stared at the cobbled streets from under his long black lashes, large eyes taking in every detail.

This morning his dark black vest was patterned with dark blue vines, sparkling in the dawn light. His billowing white shirt was immaculate as ever, his black slacks as perfectly ironed and lint-less. Around his waist was a dark sapphire cloth belt, and as usual, a rose graced his artist hands.

A young girl carried laundry towards the river below. He followed her with his eyes and she looked up as she felt his gaze upon him. She froze in awe, struck dumb by this phantom of beauty who had appeared from the old mansion believed uninhabited.

A disturbance from below made him turn, and his face was again cast into shadow, his eyes narrowing in distaste. His right and left hand men appeared through the doorway, dragging a battered young man, his longish, spiky brown hair falling into his eyes. The Dark Lord sat in his scarlet armchair, pressing the tips of his fingers together in a business-like manner, studying the captive before him.

One of the cronies grabbed a fistful of hair and forced Riad's head back, his eyes immediately captured in the Dark Lord's unfathomable gaze. But in an instant the spell was broken and Riad's face was twisted into a waxy mask of pain as his left arm was twisted cruelly behind his back. The Dark Lord held up a hand with a laugh. "Easy friends, we do not want to cripple him." As the strange men dropped Riad onto the ground, the Dark Lord stood and crouched in front of the young man. "My apologies, young man," he purred. "They tend to become overexcited." With a shooing gesture he dismissed the thugs, and they turned away, scowling down at Riad. The door shut behind them with a slam of finality.

The Dark Lord turned and stopped behind his armchair, his hands clutching the smooth cloth. For a moment he studied his hands, their long fingers and wide palms, slender through it all. Then he looked up at Riad, who was massaging his shoulder ruefully. "Do you know why you are here, then?"

Riad grimaced, anger and resentment bubbling treacherously close to the surface. "Sorry, I missed the memo."

The tall man grinned, flashing pearly white teeth, his eyes glimmering in the faint light. "Your talent with words has been spread far and wide. And I am in the need of a translator, as it were. Would you be interested?"

Riad felt temptation override his pain, and he eyed the regal man curiously, suspiciously. "What kind of job are you talking about?"

The Dark Lord laughed. "Come with me."

He led Riad through another door into a maze of halls. The walls were decorated with all matter of masks and mirrors, daggers and swords. The Dark Lord swept a hand. "This is my gallery," he mused with obvious pride. "Few have heard of it, and even fewer have entered its depths." Suddenly he disappeared behind a shelf, reappearing again, his face staring back at Riad from a dozen mirrors, a mask across his upper face. His eyes laughed at the young man. "Charming isn't it?"

Riad swallowed hard. He found it creepy, actually. But he didn't feel it wise to disagree. "Ah...it's...lovely. Yeah..." his words dwindled into silence as his host disappeared again from sight. In another moment he was seen in another hall, reflected again in a mirror, buckling a silver rapier to his hip. Turning, his eyes connecting with Riad's, he arched a long finger in a gesture of beckoning. Hesitantly, Riad made his way through the halls.

"There is an ancient tome here that has been the envy of many of my colleagues." The Dark Lord's voice floated through the halls to Riad, though he was unsure of where the man actually was. "Some say its powers could overthrow the Kingdom of Neelai and the lands beyond." Riad caught a glimpse of the Dark Lord's face then, and he felt chills traverse down his spine at the greed and contempt in his gaze. A short laugh preceded his disappearance again. "Unfortunately, it is in an older language, one I myself cannot interpret. I was hoping you could for me."

Riad suddenly found himself in a large circular room. At the center was the book lying on a pedestal, open to the middle. An ancient script scrawled across the yellowed pages, and Riad touched it with reverent fingers. Again a shiver of something demonic crawled across his skin and for a moment he thought he heard maniacal laughter. He jerked back, and the Dark Lord was standing next to him. "What do you think?" he hissed.

Riad shook his head slowly. "I'm not sure I should. And there's the matter of my brother..."

His host laughed again. "A pity. I was so hoping you would do so willingly. I hate forcing people needlessly."

Riad looked up sharply at the Dark Lord. "You mean you're going to hold me here until I do it for you?"

His host turned back to him, a slow smile curving the corners of his lips. "Why, yes."

Riad snarled in anger. "You have no right! The very fact that your cronies assaulted me and brought me here by force is enough to put you in jail for a long time! When the authorities hear about this..."

The Dark Lord cut him off, his smile widening horribly. "When? Oh no my dear boy, it's a matter of if. And even if your brother does manage to contact any authorities, he will have no way of matching me to the crime. And even if he could, by some miraculous happenstance, connect me and your kidnap, there wouldn't be an authority who would continue with the search. My name alone will be enough to discourage that." He gripped Riad's upper arm fiercely, his eyes sparkling maliciously. "I am not one to be trifled with, young Riad. I suggest you get started on that book now."

And he disappeared through the various halls, a hand on his silver rapier hilt.

Lee rushed through the now busy streets, terror and desperation pumping through his veins. He had to find his brother! If he didn't...

The problem was he had no idea where he was going, nor what he was searching for. As he ran he saw a guard, the scarlet of his curving armor glittering in the noon light. He shouted, grabbing him by the shoulder. "Please," he cried over the man's protests. "My brother has been kidnapped by two men! You have to help me!"

The guard shoved his hand away with a snarl. "Get away from me!"

Lee stared in horror. Was he not supposed to help? A man knocked into him from behind, and he was pushed every which way as the crowd went on their way. He felt rage fill him and he confronted the guard again. "If you will not help me then who can?"

The guard pointed to a well build mansion on the corner of the street. "If you bother me again I'll lock you in the jail to cool your head," he growled.

Lee stared in shock at the guard who turned away without another glance. Swallowing hard, he turned to the building not far down the street that the man had pointed at. Wading through the crowd, he pushed aside the cloth hanging in front of the door and entered the dusky room.

Blinking as the change of light hit him, he peered towards the back. A shrewd man with glasses perched delicately upon his nose peered along a list. Lee rushed up to him. "Please," he begged. "My brother's been kidnapped!"

The man did not look up from his writing. "Name?"

"Riad Shakuren, brother of Lee Shakuren."

"And when was he taken?"

Lee felt his teeth grind together in frustration. "This morning, we have to hurry!"

The magistrate sighed and slammed a book shut at his side. "No, that will never do. You will have to wait with all the others."

Lee felt the blood drain from his face, his wide eyes sparkling with wrath and horror. "Wait?!"

"Yes," the magistrate said, his voice trailing through his nose. "There is a waiting list. We have neither the men nor the funds to traverse across the city in search of every missing person." The magistrate laughed, placing a hand on his chest. "That would just be unthinkable."

Lee grabbed the man by the shirt and pulled him forward. He knew that he probably was loosing it, that he'd probably already lost it, and that he must look like a demon straight from the fiery pits, but he didn't care. His teeth bared and his eyes narrowed to blazing green slits, he shoved his face forward so that he was nose to nose with the magistrate. "You're the man in charge here. You're supposed to protect your people, but you care more about money than anything else. But you're going to help me find my brother now!"

"Now, now, such animosity will not do."

Lee loosed the magistrate and looked up at the shadowy form that had appeared in the corner. Tall and dressed smartly in a suit, under which a flowing white shirt was tucked into an emerald green vest, a man had appeared in the door to the left, his hands clasped on the top of the cane set firmly between his feet. As he stepped into the light, Lee stepped back, overwhelmed by the man's presence. His hair was long and silver, but his face seemed beyond age, beyond this world at all. He pierced Lee with a gaze that held him and did not let him go until he looked away. Lee staggered back, gasping, realizing he had been holding his breath.

The man had a straight, no nonsense face, clean and fierce, hawkish in its ferocity. But beneath it all lay a kindness, and immediately Lee ignored the magistrate. "I have to find my brother."

The man beckoned to the door with his cane. "Then by all means go. Shoo."

Lee grit his teeth. "I cannot do it alone. I need your help."

The man smiled faintly. "Was that so hard?" He pulled something out of his pocket and held it up. It was a long stemmed rose, blood red, and the perfume of it filled the air.

Lee gaped. "Where did you get that?" he whispered.

"From your doorstep. A serving girl reported the disturbance and it was inspected. You know that this is the same token that was left by the muggers of Ukai?"

Lee stiffened. "You think there's a connection?"

The man shrugged. "I know there is. His name is Menein Yonochi. He is my brother." Ignoring Lee's shock, he laid the rose on the table and shooed the magistrate away. "Unfortunately, he has cut off all contact with me and I do not know what he is up to. I do know where he resides, though I would severely discourage any attempt at barging in and rescuing your brother right away." The man stroked his chin thoughtfully. "He is a very dangerous and heartless man."

Lee leaned forward. "Just tell me what to do."

This is a post of encouragment.

Continue! ;)

I'm loving it so far, your style of writing grips me from the beginning and I can't wait to find out more about the powers behind it all, the worlds within and without. Thank you for sharing this with us. :D

• 2 weeks later...

~sorry guys! i didn't mean to take so long!!! school has been SO hectic!

Riad poured over the ancient tome, sweat lining his brow. His eyes were red and his dark hair stood up on end from restless fingers running through it. He screamed in frustration and slammed the tome shut. He could not throw it at the wall or rip it to pieces. That would only invoke the Master's wrath.

He had tried it once. He had been ready to tear every page to pieces and throw them in that calm face. But just as he had torn a tiny piece, he had appeared, his sword in hand. Riad would have a scar across his chest from that incident forever. Now he massaged the wound ruefully, running a hand across his face. The Master had been enraged. "Next time," he had hissed, "I'll do more than cut you! I'll take off an ear. You won't need that to translate!"

It was impossible. None of the words followed any pattern, the grammar was erratic and senseless, and he was loosing his mind cooped up in these conditions. He hadn't thought food would be a problem. Starving he could handle. But that wasn't the situation at all. Three square meals were given to him every day, and if he refused them, they would be forced down his unwilling throat. No arguing that he was truly not hungry, that he barely ever ate, would convince the Master that he wasn't trying to starve himself. "You need your strength to translate this book," he'd chided, his voice far too cheerful. "I will not have you dying on me now that I've found you."

Riad also worried about Lee. What was he doing now? It had been nearly a week, with no word. Had he been forgotten? Riad immediately cursed himself for thinking such thoughts. This was his brother!!

Riad sighed and turned back to the book, turning to the first page yet again. He scanned the runes and then flipped to the back. He knew this book by every page. There were no clues. Though he knew that it was good he was lost, that he was stalling his insane captor from releasing whatever was in the pages from escaping, it was maddening to have made so little progress. He squeezed the back of the book hard, clenching his teeth. Something rippled under his fingers and he looked closer. A piece of paper was peeling from the thick back. At first he panicked. Would the Master appear and give him another punishment? Again his hand went to his chest. Then he bent closer. There looked like there was writing under the paper.

Slowly, he peeled back the thin parchment. His heart leapt with excitement! This was what was so familiar about the text! Under this sheaf of paper was old, old Gaelic. He poured over it excitedly. Perhaps here lay the answers!

I pray that no one ever reads these words! If they do it will surely mean the destruction of this world. Inside these pages are the remains of Kei, the six-tailed Demon of the Isle. He comes in the form of a gypsy, and sometimes a six-tailed wolf. He destroyed the far villages without blinking an eye, and it was only after he cast famine and drought upon us that he was entombed in these pages by a Wild Mage. The old ways are fading. There will not be a Wild Mage to entomb him next time.

Riad sat back slowly, awe and horror filling his stomach. He had heard of this in an old History scroll he had found buried along with an old Gaelic treasure, but then he had not believed it. If anyone would draw forth this demon...it was the Master.

Below was some script in the hand that the rest of the tome had been scrawled in, in the strange language. He compared it and the Gaelic, and then it dawned upon him. The words had been scrawled backwards and upside-down. The same thing was written here.

Slowly, and with shaking fingers, he turned the book upside-down and began flipping through the pages.

What, oh what was he doing?

Lee hurried after the man before him. It had been nearly a week and he had been nearly out of his mind with worry at the slowness of the search. Now everything was too fast. How did a guy with a cane walk so fast? He was panting by the time they stopped. The man stood in front of a fountain and he tossed his cane up and caught it again, his long silver hair flowing about his face. For a moment he stared at the trickling waters.

"My name is Negite Yonochi. My brother, Menein Yonochi, has obtained an ancient book from the Gaelic Isles. Inside are enspelled the remains of a six-tailed demon named Kei. The legend is that he was once a gypsy who stole the wife from a devious warlock. She went with him and left the warlock, entranced by the gypsy's good looks and wild life. But the warlock cursed the gypsy and he was transformed into a six-tailed demon. He killed the warlock's wife, the warlock, and then went about destroying villages. Finally he cast a drought and a famine upon the land, utter destruction. All that the commoners could grow were potatoes. Then a Wild Mage came and entombed him inside the book and hid it deep inside a mountain."

Negite sighed. "Apparently it wasn't deep enough. My brother has found him and wants to bring him forth to wreak havoc upon the land."

Lee shivered. "How are we going to stop him?"

Negite pressed his lips against the silver head of his cane in thought. "The first thing to do is free your brother and confront mine. If your brother finds out how to translate the book, we are all doomed."

Lee shook his head, his face paler than Negite's. "He will translate it. It's all he's done since we were little. He knows so many different languages that I can't count them on two hands. I couldn't count them on three if I had them!"

Negite again stared, lost in thought, at the waters. "We will go to my brother and confront him. Come. It is this way."

Negite walked swiftly, his coat flying behind him, and Lee trotted to keep up. They wound through alleys and streets until they came to a large house. A laundry girl sat atop her bag of clothes, staring up at the balcony with dreamy eyes. Negite started when he saw her and he grabbed her by the shoulder. "Get away from here!" he snapped.

She jumped and stared at him open-mouthed before grabbing her sack and hurrying off.

Negite shook his head and approached the door. He did not knock. The door was unlocked, and he entered easily. Lee followed nervously.

Standing at the stairway before them were the two strange thugs. They smirked when they saw the two visitors. "Are ye waiting for the Master?" one sneered. "He's above."

Negite did not acknowledge them. He walked straight past. Lee followed, but one of the thugs grabbed his shoulder. "Your brother's busy," he sneered.

The thug let Lee go as a silver topped cane rapped hard upon his knuckles. Negite glared at the thug as Lee hurried past, and then followed him up the stairs.

Negite led him up the stairs and into a room. Standing at the window was a tall, dark haired man. He turned and eyed the two, a smile curling his lips. "One I know, and this one I could guess. Two unrelated brothers here, both with complaints I would warrant. Now, tell me what it is you want."

Negite's knuckles were white as he gripped his cane. "You know full well what I want. Destroy that tome before you do anything drastic! Don't be a fool!"

Menein sighed and shook his head. "Don't you be a fool. I know what power is when I see it, and when I have this gypsy under my control, that is what I will have. Power."

Negite advanced, his face twisting with hatred. "You'll have a demon on your hands. And yes, he is a gypsy. Since when did gypsies ever, ever obey any law or commander? You'll destroy the world!"

Lee strode forward. "Where is my brother?"

Menein smiled. "Why, now that you mention it..." he glanced over his shoulder. "You have a visitor, my dear translator. Come out here, and bring the book with you."

Lee gasped as he saw his brother's appearance. He was pale and dirty, his hair mussed, his eyes dull. Lee could see the white of bandages underneath his shirt, and large dark circles shadowed his eyes. In his hands was the book. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

"You see," Menein grinned. "Your dear brother figured out the trick just yesterday."

Negite gasped. "No!"

Menein grinned again. "Yes. Please meet my new friend, Kei."

From the back of the room moved a shadow. Into the light stepped a man with long ragged hair, a pale, pointed face, and dashing good looks. A scarlet cloth was tied about his brow, and golden ornaments were hung in his hair. Scarves and cloths were tied all over his body, and a curving red tattoo lined his upper left bicep. Dark paint lined his eyes, and swishing behind him were six black wolf tails. Daggers were tucked all over his body.

Negite backed away. "No! Menein, you've destroyed us all!"

Menien laughed, and beside him the gypsy laughed, while tears slowly coursed their way down Riad's cheeks. He bowed his head and let the book fall to the ground with a thud. Lee rushed to his brother and dragged him away from the two, catching him as he stumbled and fell. "What's wrong with you?" he whispered to his brother. But Riad did not answer him, and Negite had strode closer, hand gripping his cane tightly.

"What is it you plan to do now?" he hissed. "This demon will not obey you."

The gypsy laughed and his eyes sparkled as he gazed at Menien. "I obey no man," he trilled. "No man at all."

Menien gave a smug smile. "You will obey me." He scooped up the book and waved it in front of the demon's face. Kei's eyes followed it, and the smile slipped from his face. The Dark Lord grinned. "If I destroy this book, I destroy you. So you will obey me and do as I say."

Kei's smile returned, if only in a strained way. "I obey no man," he whispered, his eyes fixed upon the book. He turned on his heel and strode towards the window.

"Stop," Menien barked.

Kei turned back, his eyes smoldering in a deadly way. He held up his hand and gave it a twist. The book in Menien's grasp dispersed into black smoke. With a laugh the six-tailed demon leapt through the window and out into the streets.

Negite roared in anger and charged out the door back down the steps. Lee hauled Riad after him, leaving the Dark Lord in the room, still staring at the window, his face pale with rage and confusion.

Negite hurried faster down the stairs as he heard a high pitched scream, the scream of a girl. As he bolted through the doors of the mansion, he saw the strewn laundry bag on the ground near the back of the hotel and he snarled with rage. So the gypsy had found the lady. Now the legend would be renewed and there was nothing they could do to save them. Kuunai was doomed.

The gypsy carried the laundry girl over his shoulder, heading towards the mountains. He would need time to gather his strength before he struck and wiped out the life from the land. He reached a copse of trees, and the shadows were growing long across the ground when he laid the girl on the ground. She shrieked and scrambled away from him, but he ignored her, for the moment. Kei cast his eyes out over the land, taking in the horizon.

Long ago a warlock had cursed him, had made him walk the land a demon. His only love slain at his own hands, and the warlock gone too, all he cared about was bloodlust. All he desired was death, his only companion would be slaughter. And his first victim lay on the ground nearby.

He turned his eyes back to the girl, his large dark eyes drinking in her form. And then he began to sing.

"There was a man upon the loam,

Along with his lady lived he,

And peacefully they dwelt alone,

As happy as any could be.

Then came a day when a wolf struck by,

So dashing and stealthy was he,

A gypsy rogue by the name of Kei,

Who stole away the bright lady.

The man he cursed the fine young lad,

When his lady did not come home,

And blood lust took the demon wolf,

With a murder there upon the loam."

Kei drew a long knife from his belt and walked towards the girl. She screamed and tried to run away, but he grabbed her arm, laughing. He threw her to the ground again and the long blade swung up...

Negite started from his dreams drenched in a cold sweat. He rose from where he lay in the grass, eyes grave. It had happened. He looked down at the sleeping forms of Riad and Lee, their head together. They would soon not sleep well, they would soon not be in peace.

Dawn was rising over the mountains when Negite prodded both boys, waking them. "We have much to do," he said gravely. "Kei has already made his first kill. He will be stronger now, and will grow stronger with every life he takes. Soon they will die by the droves at his hands. We must stop him now before it is too late."

Lee sat up, his hair mussed, and his stomach gave a loud rumble. "Where to?" he asked, ignoring his hunger. Riad sat up mutely beside him, dark circles under his eyes.

Negite straightened and looked over the horizon. "We must go to the shrine where Menein found the book. The answers lie there."

Negite held a hand up to his mouth, sickened to his heart, to his very core. Lee and Riad approached. Lee saw the mutilated body and ran towards the trees so that he could be properly sick in private. Riad stood and stared. He seemed to come awake for the first time since they had found him. His bright green eyes stood out sharply against his pale flesh, sparkling in rage. He ran a hand through his already mussed dark hair, running the other along his face. "Kei?" he asked in a whisper.

Negite knelt on the ground, pressing the tips of his fingers into the dirt. "He was here not long ago."

Lee approached, keeping his eyes averted. "We should give her a proper burial," he muttered. "That savage...he'll pay for this."

Negite stood. "Though it pains me, we have no time to bury her. All living things here are at stake. But I will secure her for now, so that no animals will touch her." Negite bent low over the body and waved a hand over it. What looked like scarlet sparkles fell from his palm and floated over the body, creating a strange, glittering force-field. "Now we must move on."

Negite led them over hills and through the mountains. By high noon they had reached a place where the trees were thicker than busses, and where the pine needles and rich earth lay thick upon the ground. A red squirrel with tufted ears surveyed them, chattering at them for penetrating his home. Negite's eyes were every where at once.

Suddenly through the clearing came the sound of padded footsteps. Negite held up a hand, and the brothers paused, tense, every hair stirring on their bodies. What if it was him?

Through the trees came a large black shape. Negite sighed with relief and the thing jumped, whirling to bare sharp teeth at them with a hiss.

The creature had the front legs of a lion, and the back of a horse. Huge bat-wings curved from its back with long membrane. On a long scaly neck was the head of an equine dragon, emerald eyes glittering in the light. Dark dappled green and brown splotched across the mottled, black fur.

Negite smiled. "It's a forest Wyrn. If our enemy was nearby, this creature would know. It appears we have reached our destination before him."

The Wyrn snarled at them one last time before leaping into the woods, disappearing as if it never was. Lee scratched the back of his neck. "Wyrn...right..."

As they walked, stone ruins began to appear to their left and right. At one point they crossed under a crumbling arch. More Wyrn appeared, their eyes fixated upon the three travelers, teeth bared. Some peered at them from above, atop stone pillars, some from within the trees, some from where they sunned themselves on the rocks. A mother nursed her young, eyeing the strangers. Three males formed a protective circle about her, hissing.

Negite smiled again at the sight of them. Lee scratched his head, jumping when another Wyrn spat at them. "Why do you look so pleased to see them?" he asked. "They obviously don't look happy to see us!"

Negite shook his head at the young man's folly. "They will not harm us. No ill deed can be done around Wyrn. So we may pass through, but Kei might not be able to. It is fortunate there are so many of these guardians about. Perhaps our luck is changing."

Negite hurried deeper into the now crumbling city. A temple rose before them, and deep within Lee could see the glittering of obsidian.

At the center, cast in a circle of light from the open ceiling above, was a chest of the rare black rock. It's top was cast aside, an imprint upon the velvet within where the book must have been. Another imprint, in the shape of a knife, lay beside.

But there was no knife.

Negite's face went white when he saw the place where the knife should be. "No, no no," he muttered. "It should be here." He began casting about for the book.

"Is this what you're looking for, dear brother?"

Negite whirled around, staring at Menien, who had appeared at the doorway. In his hand was the dagger. It had a scarlet blade with a golden hilt, and black runes coursed up and down its side. To Riad it looked like something out of a strange ritual. To Lee it just looked ridiculous.

"That's it?" Lee snorted. "Kind of fancy isn't it?"

Negite shut him up with a sharp chop of his hand. "Why did you take it?" he asked, addressing his brother. "And more importantly, how did you get past the Wyrn?"

Menien shrugged. "You know how I like shiny things. And Wyrn can only sense what is done directly in front of them. Wicked deed they can smell, but past deeds? You overestimated their snouts."

Negite shook his head. "No, no," he pointed an accusing finger at him. "You did something to them. You know it's forbidden to kill them. What have you done?"

"That question seems to be pointed at me a lot these days," Menien spat, pulling a rose from his pocket. Negite's eyes found it and followed it, wide and confused. Menien sneered. "What about you, oh brother? What have you done? You: so self-righteous and noble."

Negite shook his head again. "I never said I was perfect, but at least I know when not to play with the fate of the world!"

Suddenly a maniacle cackle filled the air. A shadow danced along the walls in the shape of a long-limbed, long-haired man. The gypsy, covered in scarves, appeared on the ceiling, poking his head in to stare at them below, lips pulled back into a feral grin. "Sibling rivalry?" he hissed. "That won't do. Four brothers here...what shall I do with all of you?"

Edited by Kikuyu Black Paws

• 3 weeks later...

Negite glared up at the gypsy wraith, his face paler than it had been before and his teeth slightly bared. "You monster," he hissed. "Why can't you stay properly dead?"

The gypsy giggled and his eyes roved towards Menien. "And behold, your answers lie within flesh and blood."

Riad narrowed his eyes and slowly began to inch towards the wall. What he was going to do, he wasn't sure, but one thing he did know: he would avenge the girl's death.

Lee watched him out of the corner of one eye, holding perfectly still. What was his brother up to?

The gypsy somersaulted into the room, a hand on a long dagger at his waist. Though it was immaculately clean and sparkling, Lee's stomach turned over as he stared at it. The gypsy grinned at him. "Not pleasant, not nice. Sharp nasty things, aren't they? Would that I had been killed by one rather than cursed to walk this wretched world forever."

Negite planted his feet wide. "I can remedy your pain," he snarled. "Why don't you just let me put you back into paper?"

Kei cocked his head to the side, drawing the blade slightly from where it was bound upon his hip. "I don't think so."

The dagger went flying through the air to thud into Menien's chest. The man staggered backwards, a slightly surprised look upon his face, before he toppled backwards, blood staining the ground red.

A howl from outside caused Lee's hair to stand on end. The forest now echoed with them and something began to throw itself against the walls of the stone room.

Negite gave a strained grin, his eyes fixed upon his brother lying on the ground. "You shouldn't have done that," he rasped. "Now you have both me and the Wyrn to deal with. Bad choice, Kei."

Kei sniffed and did not look overly concerned. He bent and yanked the dagger out of Menien's chest. The dark lord heaved with pain and then his body relaxed with a sigh. Kei wiped his dagger on a scarlet cloth, a sadistical, satisfied look upon his face.

"You monster!" Negite roared, tears standing in his eyes.

Kei turned on him, eyes wild as he tore at the clothing on his body, baring his chest. "Then do the same to me," he snarled. "Try it! I will not die! Fire burns throughout my body, and the only way I can stop it is to kill and kill! Just like I will kill you and the boys next." He hefted the dagger. "Be assured that you will die easing my pain."

Suddenly a voice cried out in a strained tone. "Ereinya! Dorthomein xar!"

Kei froze and slowly turned around, his motions pained as though the air around him was solidified.

Riad stood holding a sheaf of tattered papers, his scrawl clearly crammed in every inch of space. On the very back of the sheaf was a splatter of blood. He grinned. "You thought no more wild mages lived? Well, you don't have to be a wild mage to capture a demon within pages, just very handy with writing. That book you chucked into the fire, what do you think I was doing all that time I was locked up trying to get you out. Of course I found a way to put you back in, and that wound Menien gave me," his eyes darted to the man on the ground, and a flash of emotion tracked across his face, but he fixed his eyes again on the gypsy, his grin returning. "Well, it gave me the blood I needed to bind you. One more word and you're trapped with words again."

Kei panted hard, his eyes alight. "You have no idea what he did to me," he hissed. "And I will destroy the world because of it!" he leapt at Riad, hands outstretched, dagger leading.

"Albrecht!"

Kei screamed and fell to the ground. His body began to ripple, and then it turned into a thousand pieces of parchment. The paper flew upwards and circled around Riad in a tornado of words and parchment. Then they soared into his hand in a sleek pile. Green flared along the edge and a binding curled from living vines across the back. Riad gripped the book tightly. "Someone light a fire!"

Lee began gathering the old, dead vines and piling them together. Outside the room it had gone strangely quiet. The Wyrn had stopped their frantic attacks to get inside at the wrong-doer. Now there was no one left to punish.

A fire burst into the pile as Lee struck tinder to flint. Soon it was a roaring bonfire, and the heat pressed Lee back against the wall. Negite seemed not to notice. He was bending over his brother.

Riad darted forward and threw the book into the flames. A scream rose with the sparks and then smoke began to trickle upwards. Riad watched with satisfaction. "Let it burn itself out," he said softly. "Let it take this whole place, if it wants."

He grabbed Lee and pulled him out of the room, turning back towards Negite. "Come on!" he yelled.

Silently Negite picked up Menien and carried him with them out of the room and through the forest. Behind them, the fire took the room and the rest of the temple in a fiery roar. The Wyrn watched them go in silence, fleeing the temple to hiss at it from the trees.

Far from the temple, where it was again quiet, Negite lay his brother on the ground. Menien's breathing was shallow and he trembled. "I didn't...didn't mean...for him to..." his words grew softer and softer.

Negite tried to catch the last of Menien's mumblings, but then Menien sighed and lay still, his breathing stopped. Negite lowered his head in grief, gripping the front of his brother's shirt tightly. His broken sobbing filled the forest as Lee and Riad watched on in silence.

They buried Menien and the girl on a hill overlooking the trees. The sun was setting as they sat on the grass. Lee glanced over at Negite. "Where will you go now?" he whispered.

Negite shrugged. "Out of the city. Now that my brother is not here to be watched over, I can go back to the Imperial court in Neelai. If you wish to come with I'd be glad to take you." He looked over at Riad. "I'm sure they would love to have someone of your talents among them."

Riad shrugged. "I'm done with writing for a while. But the Imperial court sounds nice; anywhere away from here is fine." He rubbed his chest and winced.

Lee rocked back and forth, stemming the urge to hum. "Well..." he mused. "Anyone up for doughnuts?"