The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Feedback Listing

Katzaniel

Okay, this is based on a lot of people's discussion recently about being able to say what sort of feedback you like to give. The idea is that there's a bunch of headings, and you put yourself in one by either posting here, or editting yourself in if you've got the editting powerZ. It will work best if anyone who can edit would add as many people as still need to be added, when they've got the time.

The people listed here should not be assumed to be willing or able to post feedback whenever asked, and especially it is discouraged from going through this list and asking a bunch of people to provide you feedback, especially in-depth comments - probably half the people at the Pen wish they could get good feedback on most of what they write, but no one has the time for that. Anyway, if you occasionally ask one or two people to take a look at something you've written, and you understand if they don't have the time, then you're doing okay.

Poetry

Structural (rhythm, stresses, etc)

Prose

Character development

Katzaniel

Consistency

Devices (repetition, foreshadowing, etc)

Either

General interpretation (thoughts, impressions)

Katzaniel

- Although I wonder if not everyone could do this? I guess it's a list of people who want to be considered available for it.

Mechanics (grammar/spelling... should they be separate?)

Katzaniel

PS. I took bits out of your profile, rev, so if it looks familiar that's why. And this definitely needs things added to it, so feel free to brainstorm/just add things, especially since I'm sure I've missed some obvious things... but I'm going to bed now.

Edited by Katzaniel

hmm, not sure where it would go or what sub-heading it would fall into, but I'm learning that the kind of "Language" you use in poetry is a big deal too. I'm not just talking about grammar either. Well sentence structure is a part of it like using a periodic sentence verses an inverted one. But the way your speaker speaks. Is his speech polished like a well-educated minster or crass like a farm hand? Or like there's a world of difference between languaged used to convey irrelevant sarcasm vs solemn irony.

Hmm, maybe a general poetry topic called "style" could cover it. We could just leave it open for individual interpretation for now. But, this realm of poetry analysis is door that is just opening for me, so if I'm being vague that's why.

If any other poets have good knowledge of how to define this kind of analysis please post.

Edited by reverie