The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The light at the end of the tunnel

It's a cold november day in the year of our lord two thousand and two. A figure sits on a bench by a tree that looms overhead with no leaves left on it's branches, waiting for a car that he already knows is two hours away. He is unhappy - his girlfriend refuses to talk to him, he can't stand his family and he already knows that his chances of making it out of high school with a diploma are slim to none. His friends are fed up with his constant whining and self-destructive behavior.

Cut to a bathroom, the same figure standing in front of the mirror, a knife held to his wrists. He hesitates, then slashes, the knife cutting the skin. Whether by design or by fate, the artery refuses to burst and he collapses into a pile of misery and disappointment.

It is now the present. Our previously desperate young man has filled out a bit, and he looks confident and happy as he hurries across Seattle towards his bus. He just got out of his new job, which pays a good deal more than his previous one and will let him start saving up for a new apartment. He makes a difference at his new job and everyone appreciates him, and now he's heading off to his sixth semester of university for classes he really enjoys. Looking down at his cell phone he sees that his girlfriend has left him a message cheering him on. He grins and realizes how much better life can really be.

Sometimes, it just takes time to reach what God really has in store for us. For me, it took a lot of hard work and a lot of time, but now I'm happy for the first time in quite a while. I enjoy going to work and school, and my girlfriend and I are happy together.

Just wanted to share a happy story with the Pen, who have meant so much to me, even if I never write here anymore.

Thanks

-Falcon

It's good to see you around again, Falcon...

in short order: Congratulations on the new, better-paying and more appreciative job, your girlfriend and you getting along well, and making it to your third year of college. It sounds like it's been a heck of a trip, but I sincerely hope it just gets better from here... you deserve it.

Go Falcon!

glad to hear you're doing well...

Though when things aren't feeling as sunny...

Don't give up. Don't give in. Depression is just like any other addiction. It's self fufilling and easy to lapse back into. So, ya gotta take one day at time.

Never stop making plans and goals, but don't forget to live in the moment.

I could go on, but this guy said it best:

Happiness

To be without desire is to be content. But contentment is not happiness. And in contentment there is no progress. Happiness is to desire something, to work for it, and to obtain at least a part of it. In the pursuit of beloved labor the busy days pass cheerfully employed, and the still nights in peaceful sleep.

For labor born of desire is not drudgerey, but manly play. Success brings hope, hope inspires fresh desire, and desire gives zest to life and joy to labor. This is true whether your days be spent in the palaces of the powerful or in some little green byway of the world.

Therefore, while yet you have the strength, cherish a desire to do some useful work in your little corner of the world, and have the steadfastness to labor. For this is the way to the happy life; with health and endearing ties, it is the way to the glorious life.

Max Ehrmann

1872 - 1945

Edited by reverie

Alright, scratch that.

My company just went under - they had massive layoffs and half of us got laid off and my boss got cut to half-time, which means he's probably leaving as well. I just found out today that today's my last day, so yay for temp jobs. Back to the grind.