But in that case, when one lies and pretends long enough,

One becomes what one pretends to be.

Lies are still lies.

I live

in a cocoon of lies.

I have spun my web of lies around me,

Convoluted, twisted,

Protecting, hiding the truth.

I cower behind a paper-thin wall of lies.

So many metaphors, so many analogies.

What lie do I tell today?

thought provoking. i know several people who could easily describe themselves so, and have often wondered if they even knew the truth about themselves any more. small comfort, but i suppose one must *know* the truth to choose to lie?

*hugs*

thought provoking. i've nothing more solid than that for feedback atm, but something which makes me stop and think is always appreciated.

Good poem, dragonqueen. :-) I really liked the image of the candy paste of lies sealing the cracks in the narrator's world, and found the shame of the narrator's identity very well-conveyed. As I read through this, I was questioning the number of metaphors that were used for "lie," but I loved how you tied everything together with the lines "So many metaphors, so many analogies/ What lie do I tell today?" The self-conscious tone of these lines really struck me, and the extensive use of metaphors throughout the poem made a lot more sense in its context.

While I felt that many of the questions posed in this poem were strong, the questions that recieved answers from the narrator could simply be dropped and left as the answers alone for more succinctness. Also, rather than tagging honest with the adverb "disgustingly" in line 10, you might want to give some example of the narrator's vile use of honesty.

Well done, once again. :-) Thanks for sharing this.

I like this poem. It's very well written and also, many people can relate to it. I, myself, have been in that situation, barely knowing myself, and wondering what lies I will have to tell today to make up for lies I'd forgotten I had already made.

I hope this isn't what you feel and that you keep posting here, as I've noticed that I haven't seen much of your stuff in here.

Even though I know I'm not one to talk on that posting issue. :ermm:

Edited by NightFae