The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Illogic of Pricing

Mynx

*door chimes*

Manager: Hello there how may I help you?

Customer: Yes I'd like to book this place for a function in March, I'm wondering if you could give me an idea on pricing and availability...

Manager (looking through diary): Certainly madam. What date are you looking at?

Customer: March 25.

Manager: That shouldn't be a problem at all. Now how many people are you looking at?

Customer (looks at list in hand): Hopefully less than 60.

Manager: Not a problem! We have a lovely hall for hire at $200 per day that can hold up to 70 people.

Customer: Wonderful! We only need it for one day. Now about food...

Manager (presenting three pages of paper): We have here a choice of 3 set menus at $40 per person.

Customer (takes paper and looks them over): This is perfect! Can I make the booking now?

Manager: But of course madam! If I could just get the name of your company...?

Customer: Well actually, it's a...family function.

Manager: Ah! A reunion! Would you like any banners printed?

Customer (coughs): No, actually...it's a wedding reception.

Manager (raises eyebrow): I see. Well congratulations madam. If you could just give me one moment?

*Manager disappears into back room before customer can reply, returning a moment later with another piece of paper*

Manager: I'm terribly sorry madam, I completely forgot that we have a different pricing system for wedding receptions. Hall hire is now $800 and the meals are $100 each.

Customer: But, what's the difference?

Manager: We just like to be sure we have enough staff on for these events.

Customer: I...see...

Manager: So can I take your name for the booking?

Customer: No...I think I'd better discuss this with my fiancee'

Manager: Of course madam. Take c-

*Customer walks out*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*door chimes 200 metres down road*

Receptionist: Can I help you?

Customer: I need to make a booking for March 25

Receptionist: Of course. Is it for business, or a special event?

Customer: Do you charge extra for wedding receptions?

Receptionist: Well, yes but it's because -

Customer: Never mind! It's a family reunion!

OOC: My sister's getting married in a couple of months. I don't know what it's like in other countries but over here I swear everything multiplies at least 4 times in price as soon as you meantion the word wedding! After two weeks already of this, one is starting to see the logic of eloping to Vegas...

Yeesh. 2 months to go...

Welcome to the wonderful world of the price-hike! Yes, establishments do this because they gain a much bigger profit for basically the same thing you get for a family re-union *which is what I would have said because I'm a cheap bastard*. The US is the same way in many areas. Not only that, but they like to fish-gut you with holiday hikes and location expenses. If a hotel finds out that another hotel is booked up for an event, up goes the price! Sorry to hear that you guys are the victim of this. It sucks, but apart from starting a Communist revolution, what can you do?

Well, I can definately relate. For my graduation (and all graduations around here), the limosine companies force people to buy packages of like $1200+ for what would normally cost maybe $250-$350 depending on the company. I and my friends were lucky to find one of the few companies that doesn't believe in this sort of thing, so we got away quite lucky. I have heard rumour that this gouging has been deemed illegal here, but that may just be my hopes getting going. :P

Best wishes to your sister, and I hope the rest of the planning goes smoothly. :)

Are family members you'd normally not see coming to the event? If so, you can tell them without lying that it is just a reunion.

This is why I got married at one of the local state parks. We got married in front of an amazing view of the lake, and stayed around the rest of the day in the big picnic shelter eating barbque. Lovely day....