The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Night of the Clown

Gryphon

Inspired (rather loosely) by the clown spam in Farewell Pennites, posted in the Cabaret room...

~~~

It was a typical night for the time of year and Ahmaria smiled and noded as she listened to Mrs Jones chatter on at the other end of the phone line. Thunder rumbled hinting at the possibility of rain to come and the occational flicker of lightning lit up the room better than the small lamp on the nightstand.

"Yes, yes, I'm sure everything will be fine. They went straight to bed without any real fuss." she replied in response to the expected query from Mrs Jones. Outsite lightning flashed again lighting the contents of the room with an eerie glow.

Upstairs in the corner of the Jones's bedroom the the glow of the lightning reflected softly from the Jones's newest piece of art, a life sized statue of a clown.

Earlier that evening Ahmaria, shortly after putting the children to bed, had seen the statue standing in the corner of the Jones's room. Now she supressed a shiver at the memory. The very idea of having something like that in the room with her just gave her the creeps and while she'd been in the room the clever design of the eyes made her feel like it was watching her as she moved around.

"Actually Mrs Jones, if you don't mind, I'd really like to watch a show on cable if you don't mind. I don't want to intrude but it's a live concert of my favourite band so if you wouldn't mind...". Ahmaria paused and a smile crossed her face as Mrs Jones gave the ok to watch TV in the master bedroom.

Outside the lightning flashed once more, and upstairs the clown statue seemed to move slightly in the violet glow of the storm.

"Just one more thing then before you go, would you mind if I covered that creepy clown statue with a blanket or something. It kind of freaks me out a bit."

The silence on the other end of the phone line stretched on for long moments. "Look, Mrs Jones, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it about the sta...", Mrs Jones's voice low and strained cut across Ahmaria's words even as they were leaving her mouth. "Ahmaria, please get the girls and get out of the house immediately, go over to the neighbours, right now."

The shock Ahmaria felt clearly echoed across her face at the unexpected words. "But, why?"

Mrs Jones's voice seemed to come from far away down the phone line, "We don't own a clown statue."

The blood drained from Ahmaria's face as she dropped the phone receiver back into the cradle of the phone. Her heart beating in her chest she turned and rapidly headed up the hall towards the children's bedrooms. Her breath seemed to catch in her throat as every little noise in the house caused her to jump and every shadow seemed to conceal danger.

The lightning flickered once more as she reached the first bedroom and suddenly the house lights died throwing panic into the babysitters heart. Slowly she opened the door to the childrens room, relieved to see their shapes lying in the beds where she'd put them so little time ago, quiet. Too quiet? Behind her, in the shadows of the hallway something moved.

A flash of lightning and a betraying shadow was all the warning the young girl got, as the blade of the axe bit deeply into her neck. Moments later the last thing she saw as the light faded from her eyes was the clown which she had thought was a statue stepping over her heading for the beds of the children. Silently she died.

~~~