The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Er der nogen som forstår mig?

Elvina

Wow, I understood that just barely. :P Swedish is similar, but as I said, I'm only learning danish, so reading the swedish looks odd and is harder for me to understand, though I get the gist of it.

I didn't know they used the letter "å" in swedish, I thought only the danes did. Strangely, swedish looks more german.

Anyway, thanks for replying. :) However, I think I should try not to confuse myself with what's swedish and what's danish at this point in time. ;)

Elvina

Familjen is merging with my EQ guild, so in chats I get a lovely mishmash of Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, and misspelled Swedish--and that's just the Scandinavian languages. No sympathy! \o_-/

Starlight told me once that Swedes could communicate with Germans without knowing German, they just. . .put together words which sounded right and seemed to get results.

Jag förstår dig, men som du säger så ska vi nog inte blanda språken ;)

I think you misunderstood me a little there love, unless you consider "communicate with Germans" to mean "spew some german-sounding nonsense at and hope they understand" ;)

(disclaimer: I know German personally, but the above seems to be what some people try to do to communicate with them... and on occasions it probably works too ;P)

Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are very close in writing, Swedes and Norwegians can usually understand each other just fine in spoken language also. And when it comes to spoken language, Danes will often understand Swedes but Swedes will consider Danish too "blurred". Not sure on the relation between Norwegian and Danish in that regard, but I *think* Norwegians have an easier time of understanding the danes.

As Tzim said, we know a few danes through EQ, if you want we could ask them :)

Hejsa!

Du må da meget gerne øve dit dansk med mig. Jeg er født og opvokset her og har dermed engelsk som andet sprog. :)

Du laver stort set ingen stavefejl, og udover enkelte sjove formuleringer fungerer dit dansk helt fint. Ved ikke hvor meget feedback du er interesseret i, men jeg vil med glæde rette lidt i det hvis du ønsker?

Bare sig til. ;)

/Thinas\

The english translation for those concerned:

Heya!

Feel very free to practice your danish with me. I was born and grew up in Denmark and as such, english is my second language. :)

You make practically no spelling errors and besides a few funny phrases, your danish is just fine. Not sure how much feedback you're interested in, but I'll be happy to correct it if you wish?

Just say the word. ;)

/Thinas\

Edited by Thinas

Ah, a bit of answers to your questions as well, if you'll permit.

The Swedes do indeed use the letter å, but it ends there. They got ä instead of æ and ö instead of ø. The letters æøåÆØÅ are in fact keys on my keyboard. ;)

The Norwegians use æøå just as we do, however, and is far more similar in sound and construction to Danish than Swedish is. Danes and Norwegians have an easier time understanding each other than Danes and Swedes do, though it is correct that Danes will most often understand Swedish if spoken slowly. Swedes, on the other hand, tend to think the Danes seem to speak with a potato lodged in our throats, hence the "blur" that was mentioned. In terms of tone of voice, the Norwegians and the Swedes will seem change it as they pronounce vowels and thus "sing" their words whereas the tone of Danish is more...level. An appropriate comparison would be proper British english compared to the level sound of American english.

That's in my ears, at least. Of course, I can't speak for everyone and I'm sure some are bound to disagree. :P

Thank you so much for replying, Thinas. I don't actually have anything written in danish that I would want feedback with - I'm not that good, believe me. ;) Thanks for the offer, though. :)

That's so funny about the potato in the throat thing. :lol: I hear that all the time. My danish teacher actually introduced us to the written language first so that we wouldn't be intimidated by the spoken language. :P I've heard danish spoken since I was a kid, though, so it wasn't intimidating to me at all. :) I think it's a kewl language, not to mention it's like learning three languages in one - Danish, Norweigen, and (slowly spoken) Swedish! :P

I don't usually spend much time on here, but if I need some danish practice, I'll be sure to head over to this thread or give you a PM. Thanks again, Thinas! :D:flower:

:wolf: