The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A date with Jade

Vlad

AN: Because the date was won pre-Rage, I have decided to write this using the vampiric character.

A few miles out from the Pen Keep...

The sun was setting in this part of the world, but one man’s day was just about to begin. He was nocturnal by nature, so darkness was nothing new to him. The rest of the evening would prove to be a whole new experience for the green soul.

Water rushed from a faucet as Vlad splashed liquid on his face. When did I agree to do this? He was better dressed tonight than he was usually, but he also knew it wouldn’t matter. Letting the cold water drip down his cheeks, recounted the plans he had thought through so many times before-

It’s a nice night, tonight. Don’t get attached, you have an obligation to fulfill.

Pick her up at nine. Make small talk for a few minutes.

Be polite, but not too polite. She paid good money, but don’t let that affect you.

Entertain her for a couple of hours, then take her home.

Make sure she enjoys herself, make sure she doesn’t complain to the carnies.

Look her in the eye when she talks. Hold her hand, and use her name.

Use her name... Blast, what was it again? Where’s that paper when I need it?

Gu... Ga... Gi... No, it began with a J.

Ji... Ju... Ja... Jo... Jo! Jo? No, that’s not it...

Turning off the faucet and lights, Vlad walked to his door. Seeing a glimpse of white, he paused, and reached at it. Clasping the object between his forefinger and thumb, the vampire examined it. Jade! That’s it! Jade, can’t forget that! Eyes going back to the paper, he internalized the address and stuffed the scrap into the breast pocket of his coat. Putting a hand on the doorknob, Vlad closed his eyes- Jadejadejadejadejadejadeja...

Outside and approaching the rented carriage, the vampire squinted at the sky. No clouds? Good. Full moon? Werewolves? I’ll be fine. Taking a seat and lifting the reins, Vlad mentally made a note to thank the groundskeeper for these horses later. After figuring out where their new master needed to go, the two stallions started at a gallop without further provocation. Confident in the path finding ability of the two animals, Vlad laid back and closed his eyes. When did I agree to do this?

Several minutes into the journey, the rider felt a prick on his nose. Ignoring it, he mused about too many insects. After one more on his forehead and another on his nose, Vlad’s eyes darted open and were accosted by raindrops. Slowly at first, but seeing the lack of resistance he presented, the liquid gathered in speed and in numbers on its path down. Great, now this suit’ll be ruined. Orlan’s gonna kill me. Frantically studying his location, Vlad found a door he recognized just ahead.

The horses sensed the vampire’s panic – they’re magic, get over it – and calmly stopped in front of the only familiar place for Vlad. Leaping out of the carriage, he began beating on the door. “Ven... Ven! Venefyxatu, I know you’re in there!”

“Oh, hey Vlad. Nice suit. Whacha need?”

“It’s pouring hard out here, and I’ve got a date soon. Won’t do to be wet.”

“So you want to hide out in my place for a bit? Sure,” the mage chuckled to himself, opening the door wider.

“Yea. And if you have a towel, that’d be great too,” Vlad responded on his way in.

After drying himself off and waiting for the precipitation to subside, the vampire thanked his friend and headed onwards to his date. Alright, that slowed things down, but not a problem. Less small talk, less entertainment, and I’ll still be back before the sun rises. Why did I ever agree to do this?

A few minutes passed, and Vlad found himself in an unfamiliar area. Telling his transport to slow down, he fished in his pocket for the address. Realizing he was only a few feet away, he decided to walk the remaining distance. Gathering some nerves, a few deep breaths, and whatever dignity he had left in a soaked, then not quite professionally dried, suit and knocked on the door. There was silence for well over a minute, but probably felt like an eternity, before the door swung open. At first, Vlad didn’t see anyone there. “Hoo’re yoo?” demanded a heavy voice.

Vlad looked down to try and find a face to associate with the voice. Upon seeing a dwarf with a bottle in hand, the worst thoughts immediately came to mind. Oh, hell. I have a date with a drunken dwarf.

“Are you, uhh... Deja? Err... not deja, Jade! You’re not Jade! Is Jade home?” the vampire stammered.

“I ain’t no Jade! Ain’t got near any o’ tha’ stuff! I mines th’ iron ‘n the mines.”

“Uhh... thanks...”

“Hey! Where’s ya goin’? Where’s ya be goin’?” the dwarf managed though his slurred speech. He never got a response.

Before seating himself in the carriage anew, Vlad looked at the sheet of paper that was supposed to tell him where to go. 196 Seventh St. He looked at it for a moment, before having an idea about the dilemma. Vlad turned it upside down and read-

.tS 4tueAeS 961

I probably have the right address, just the wrong street. Now where can I find a sign...? the vampire mused to his horses. Alright, so I’m on Ninth St. right now, and it looks like Eighth St. is that way... So I’ve got to go in the other direction! Vlad beamed at his memory, for once not failing to remember that a guild of writers would put streets in alphabetical order, not a numerical one.

Edit: The rest is coming. Before the 18th, I hope.

Edited by Vlad

• 2 weeks later...

Riding past houses, Vlad mechanically watched the addresses go by. At this point, he was already ready for the date to end, but knew he had a task ahead of himself. Ethics... what's wrong with having ethics...? Pondering deeper questions than of tonights events, the vampire did not notice nearing his destination until a sudden jolt snapped his mind back to focus.

Slowly exiting the vehicle, Vlad approached the door in front him him - this time with more caution. Knocking hesitantly, the door creaked open at his slightest touch. As his eyes adjusted to the many candles inside, a stout woman revealed herself. "Who you?" she asked in a thick, yet unplacable accent.

"Uhh..." Vlad stammered. This is not my day.

"What you wanting?" The woman demanded.

"Uhh... are y-you Jade?"

"I no Jade, I Helga. Clean, cook..." She pantomimed sweeping in response to the vampire's blank reaction.

"You're late," a voice declared from further inside the house.

Vlad looked past the obviously mental - in his opinion - woman, and saw a bright smile. Finally. Why did agree to do this? Jade had curly hair to her shoulders, distinguished features, and dark brown eyes. Any other time Vlad would have thought her beautiful; now he just though her a nuisance and a waste of a perfectly good night. "Yea..." was all he managed to respond.

"I see you've met my housekeeper. She's really very nice once you get to know her... Oh wow, you came in a suit, I better get something so I'm not underdressed..." she rambled on, inserting a slight giggle every few sentances.

This was the first time Vlad noticed Jade wearing a T-shirt with the Electric Teeth logo on the front, and matching blue shorts. As she bounced away, he fell against the door frame and did all he could to resist crying. This is going to hurt. Why did I ever agree to this?

In Jade's absence, Helga became even more animated in an attempt to catch Vlad's eye. After several minutes of ignoring the housekeeper, Vlad decided that wallowing in self-pity just doesn't seem like enough. Stepping away from the house, he looked down the street and felt a cool wind brush across his face. For the first time in the whole evening, the vampire managed to relax.

He felt a hand on his shoulder, but did not turn. An elegant voice whispered into the vampire's ear, "I'm ready." The voice was different that it was only ten minutes earlier, but not noticably so. He turned his head slowly, and on this sight would have lost his breath had he had need of it.

The woman by his arm had completely transformed. The dark green dress and and golden braclet around her wrist were classy, but not flashy. Even her demeanor had adjusted to her enviroment. Still slightly shocked, Vlad barely managed to announce "Your chariot awaits, m'lady."

Motioning to the carriage, Vlad helped Jade get seated before joining her from the other side. As the horses started in motion once more, Vlad forced small talk, all the while wondering where to take her. What did I think of earlier? Concert? She had some band's shirt, I think. Sports? No, no sports. She'd slap me for that...

"Yes, it is a lovely evening tonight," Jade hinted.

"Err... beautiful. Yea, beautiful," Vlad responded, half-heartedly.

He still had no idea where to take his date, and the horses had been wandering aimlessly for quite a while now. He was beginning to worry that Jade might suspect his ignorance.

"A lovely moon up, how romantic," Jade tried again.

"Lovely... yea," Vlad echoed, his mind still on other things.

So... where can we go. I'm running out of time here... Time? Time... Racing? Racing... No... Arena! Fighting! No... We're too high-class for that right now... Uhh... Fighting... Fighting... Running? Walking? Strolling? Beach! Women love beaches? Romantic! Uhh... Beach, where?

"If it's no secret, where are we going?" Jade asked, giving up on her subtle clues.

"Beach. Moonlit stroll on the beach!" Vlad breathed a silent sigh of relief that he'd though of a place just now. Jade simply rolled her eyes.

On sensing a decion from their riders, the two stallions turned toward the faux beach - A mighty castle on an ocean front? Unheard of! - and sped up. Apparently, Vlad wasn't the only one impatient with the night's events.