The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Theatre Sports, Pen Style

Hydrus

OOC:

G'day everyone.

I'm going to attempt something I've been pondering about for a while, just as an experiment. If any of you are familiar with Theatre Sports, a series of improvisational games, then this will be an RP esque version. Improvised. B-)

I'm just going to randomly start this story, and any of you are welcome to add to it and join in as you see fit. There are no limitations or rules, no right or wrong directions. Anyone is welcome, with either one post or as continually joining in. I would ask that in keeping with the improvisational style, that you don't *plan* out your post too much, and just go with it. Accept and add on what others have written.

Basically I'm just experimenting to see whether it's possible to write a story "off the cuff". If it fails, then so be it. But I hope it'll be fun...for at least some of us anyway. Thanks guys!

IC:

Deep in the snowy frozen peaks of the mountains, the looming stone city of Al-Damoth is an imposing presence. The biting night air was barely held at bay by hundreds of tiny flickering torches twinkling all over the grey stone city. Very light snow was falling.

Somewhere in the sky, a shadow was moving. A shade, somehow a darker, more substansial black than the night sky, was flying through the air. Barely discernable, it flowed like a whisper through the air, moving slowly but inevitably towards the massive city Palace.

A ridiculously large building, filled with digustingly extravagant riches, the palace had been built over a century ago by slaves captured during a short war with a small neighbouring nation. Al-Damoth was a particuarly powerful military city-state, expecially for it's size.

The shadow hovered for a moment above a balcony on one of the two prominent towers protruding from the palace. It shimmered down onto the stone and slowly coalesced into the form of a darkly robed woman, the barest hint of long red hair poking from beneath the brown hood. The figure stood motionless for a moment, waiting for the cries of guards noticing her.

Nothing.

After a moment, the woman strode purposefully but silently into the large room adjoining the balcony. A large, magically maintained fire warmed the room well, and the large outline of a sleeping man in the massive four posted bed was visible in the firelight.

The woman, with a strange, practised ease, took two long steps to the edge of the bed and drew a beautiful curved dagger from her belt. She let it shine in the light for a moment, it's beautiful intricate carvings throwing ghostly reflections around the four walls. She then carefully leant foward and slit the man's throat with a fluid, easy movement.

Half a second passed as she returned to the balcony, morphed back into a shadow and was gone in the night. It was an hour later before the panicked cry of "The King has been murdered!" went up.

Hydrus

The shouts woke the King's sons. They were tall youths, both with green eyes, light brown hair, and boyish faces.

"Oh no," murmured Charles.

"Maybe we can still save him," said Kevin, the elder by only an hour. The boys were twins, only sixteen on this fateful day, and neither was ready for kingship. They rushed into the corridor and skidded into a halt when they ran into their mother, the Queen. "Thank God you two were not harmed," she said, tears running down her cheeks. She led them to their dead father, and the family mourned.

But the same thought was running through the minds of all three: Who would go to the trouble of murdering the King, and leave two healthy heirs behind?

Darlynn smiled, passing a hand over her scrying pool - the waters calmed down once again, and the shadows closed again over her. Turning, she went to the stone table and surveyed the open book.

Darlynn's right hand traced the carvings on the edge of the table, while she chanted softly in a language as old as the world. A ball of fire appeared, hovering over her open left palm, and she compressed it with both hands. Then she opened her arms in an arch above her head, and the fiery ball became a fiery rainbow that suddenly disappeared.

She laughed - a surprisingly cristaline, clean laugh - and murmured to the air. "It's done. And so it begins... the righting of many wrongs."

Still smiling, the Mage left her laboratory, shadows swirling around her until the light coming from a window thinned and baned them. However, Darlynn knew they were still around her, and went about her duties with confidence.