The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Sweetcherrie

The wind had gotten hold of the door, and it slammed shut with a bang. Sweetcherrie jumped a few centimetres in the air. She had been jumpy all day already, ever since she had decided to apply for the elite AVV guild. Nervously she looked around the room. In the corner stood a half dead cactus, some chairs were standing on one side of the room. A notice board with some yellow old papers, and a few sticky notes hung on the wall. There was a reception desk on the other side of the room, but it was deserted. From where she was standing she could see another door. She supposed it led to the office of the infamous Scarlot.

Sweetcherrie had heard that this Scarlot type was a real harpy, and before she had come here she had tried to steel herself against anything this woman could possibly say. “It does look a bit quiet here, I wonder what I’m supposed to do to be accepted.” She thought, and sat down on one of the seats. She waited patiently until someone would come to the reception desk. Half an hour later she was still sitting in the chair and felt utterly bored now. She was glad that she had asked Troy to stay at home. When she had left her room the phoenix had jumped up to accompany her, but she’d patiently explained to him that she was going to do something he wouldn’t find interesting at all. The bird had looked at her as if it was saying that he didn’t care as long as he could stay with her, but had obeyed nevertheless. She smiled when she thought of him. They had recently started his training and he was rapidly improving. His wings still wouldn’t carry him, but at least he didn’t set everything on fire anymore. The other day had been amazing. Sweetcherrie had read on the mana Internet that she should be able to establish a mental connection with Troy and had asked Dana to help her. Together they had mediated, and that day Dana had finally said that she thought Sweetcherrie should be ready to try and connect with the phoenix. They had told Troy to stay put, and where he normally wouldn’t listen and ran all over the place, he had listened. As if he had known that something was going to happen. He had tilted his had and had silently watched Sweetcherrie as she concentrated. Dana had warned her that Troy would probably not think in full sentences like humans did, and that she shouldn’t expect to be able to understand what she would see during this first connection, but Sweetcherrie was hopeful. She had first only seen black behind her eyelids, but then slowly some images had come through. The first image had looked like fire, and she had thought it only natural that this was what Troy thought of most of the time. The second image had been unidentifiable to her, but she had felt warmth and affection. When she had looked up Troy had come over to her, and had laid his head in her lap. She’d had difficulties not to cry happy tears, and even Dana had looked moved by this sight.

She frowned when she thought about Dana. Sweetcherrie only knew the girl for a short while, but she had taken a liking for her. The calm and tall woman was her opposite in many ways, and she felt that this was probably why they got along. Dana had been very helpful in Troy’s training, and it had even turned out that she had been able to help him with learning how to heal. Sweet, however, wasn’t too fond of Dana. She had decided that Dana was too strange and “no fun to play with” as she had put it. The little girl was like a stubborn mule with certain things, but her joie de vive made up for that. Sweetcherrie was totally lost in thought when suddenly the office door opened. A brisk looking elven woman strode past her, and without even looking up from the paper she had in her hands she walked out the door Sweetcherrie had come in through. “Odd,” she thought, but left it with that. Maybe it was less quiet than she thought, and maybe Scarlot was really busy. Another half an hour passed, and Sweetcherrie was just thinking of coming back another day, when the door opened again and Scarlot ran by once more. Sweetcherrie stood up and cleared her throat. Scarlot looked up. “What do you want?” Sweetcherrie cringed a bit under the aggravated tone, “Erm…I would like to apply.” That hadn’t sounded as if she was sure of herself at all, and she stood up straight to make sure that the dark elf would see that she was serious about this.

“Tsk,” Was all the sound that came from Scarlot. She walked over to the reception desk and handed Sweetcherrie a piece of paper. “Fill that in,” and before Sweetcherrie could say anything, the elf had disappeared into her office. She sank back down on the chair and looked at the piece of paper in her hand, “Why I would be an asset to the Alliance of Vagabonds and Vanguards.” Why would she be an asset to the AVV? She didn’t have any magical powers, and most of the things she tried to do right, ended up going wrong. She had a phoenix that loved her dearly, but that wasn’t an asset. Maybe she should mention that she was really motivated to do this, but then again that was already clear from the fact that she applied. She knew she got along with most people, but that still didn’t sound like a real asset. Sweetcherrie stared at the paper, and started to get a headache from thinking. She couldn’t find one reason that they should accept her. One of her stronger points was that she could organize things pretty well, but would that be considered a good enough asset? Finally she picked up a pen and neatly wrote under the title of the paper, “Because I am who I am.” She looked at it again, and nodded satisfied. She dropped the paper on the desk, and hurried home.

OOC: I hope this is what I was supposed to do, and that it's at the place it is supposed to be :)

Edited by Sweetcherrie