The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Miscellany

Q: What's a member profile and how do I add things to mine?

A: A member profile is a simple list of tidbits of optional information about a member that can be viewed by clicking on that member's name.

To add information to your profile, click on your User Name in the upper right corner, and then click on "My Profile". In the upper right is an option "Edit profile info."

Q: How do I edit my signature or add an avatar?

A: Signature and avatar editing can be done by clicking on your User Name in the upper right corner, and then click on "My Profile".

In the upper right is an option "Edit Profile Info". Once you've clicked it, the Avatar (Photo) is the first option on the "General Account Settings"

On the left is a tab "Signatures".

We are glad when people use signatures, but do ask that you try to keep them small and not flashing, because otherwise it slows things down a lot for those with slower connections, on mobile devices, or who pay for bandwidth.

The option to turn off viewing others' signatures is available in your Edit Profile area.

Q: Is there some way to search for a specific thread in the forums?

A: Yes, at the top of the screen you can click on the "Search" option, which allows you to search by thread title and member name, amongst other things. You can also run a search in any of the forums by scrolling to the bottom of the page of the forum you wish to search in and typing a title or keyword in the "search this forum" space provided.

Q: Where can I find more information if my question isn't answered here?

A: Well, I can suggest a few places to look.
First of all, I recommend our Codex, which is basically our organizational documents. Click Here.

For a good basic discussion of our etiquette I recommend Thoughts on Manners and Consideration of Others

Lastly, Try sending a Private Message (PM) to one of the Elders. Although they all have Real Lives, they will reply as quickly as they are able.

• 4 weeks later...

Q: What are the carnivals, and what do the guilds have to do with them?

A: The carnivals are a collection of events and activities that can earn the Pen's Geld for participation or winning, which currently has little to no value outside a carnival.

They start and end at preset dates and their burst-of-energy activity types cater to the needs of a diverse group of people trying to prioritize writing into the rest of their busy lives.

They were originally under the administration of "The Guilds" and advertised the presence of the guilds, but the Guilds have been set aside for the nonce. Carnivals may still be run by a group of voluntary motivated members for the amusement of all.

Q: What's this 'geld' that stuff everyone wants?

A: Geld is like virtual Pen gold. It was a byproduct of the carnivals: only during carnival events could you earn geld, and only in the carnival auctions could you use it. Now geld is may now be used in any member-run Role-Playing Event.

(If you have an event that you wish to offer geld, please run it through the Elders.

Geld is updated manually by an Administrator, so this is a courtesy which allows that entity to properly track earned and spent amounts.)