The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Time Long Forgotten...a Time Best Remembered

Black9

In a time long ago...there once lived a great and powerful vampire known to the world as Black. Rumor had it that this vampire made a pact with the Reaper and held the title of Black, the Warlord of Death...many simply called him Death! Black's armies soon became a menace to all that was holy and good. Where it was true that most evil has the long ter goal of world conquest...this was nary the case with Death. Black cared but a nuance about the world...he searched only for amusement and found that amusement in death. This was a legend of great attention in his century, but knowledge is a fleeting concept and with time, it may even be forgotten all together.

Time, the year two thousand...location...the city of Hauntos. Hauntos was a city like any other. Its people were rude to those who seeked help and preferred to go about their daily lives whenever possible. It was a place where you were either the chump or the champ...in short...it was a modern day New York. It has long been said that knowledge was power and if that was true...then one such citizen held massive power. Prof. Tom Archer was the kind of man that...like an elephant...never forgot. He held within him the potential to possibly become one of the worlds most astonishing genious's. His theories on a mutitude of subjects intrigued even the most brilliant of men and most intelligent of woman. It was even quoted by Archer himself...that his only challenge remaining...was to exceed his latest accomplishment. Where this kind of arrogance was a false trait in most...Prof. Tom Archer could very well have been the acception. Archer achieved momentous accomplishment after accomplishment...each one more impressive then the last. To the public, this was a gift...to the Professor, this was a curse. It had gotten to the point that Archer would have to go to great lengths to even begin the journey of defeating himself and it was at this time that he would perhaps attain his final act of genious. Searching over an old and weathered map...the ink so faded, it was barely visable...Prof. Tom Archer spoke in an almost illedgible manner.

Archer-"Yes! Yes! I have found it...the lost tomb of the one true death!" Finding the map was the Professor's first mistake...the location of the long lost tomb his second and the search to come, his final. Prof. Tom Archer knew all about the supposed fairy tale of the tomb and almost gave it a miss...if only he had. For years he'd been reading up on the ancient past...on a time long ago and a warlord best forgotten. This kind of research was of the most dangerous...where most would have given up on the matter as being fairytale...Tom relished the challenge.

Centrol Egypt and the location of Death's tomb

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Archer approached the tomb with great excitement. His mind was thrown into numerous directions as he slowed his pace directly in front of a large, stone door. Upon the door was written a phrase...written in the language of the ancients...a language that only they and perhaps a few knowledgable others can decipher. Prof. Tom Archer was one of these few, as he'd been researching this subject for a very long time.

Archer-"Speak the phrase and enter the tomb..."give me life and I will show you death" With the vocal of these words, a small earthquake initiated just below the Professor and almost sent him to the ground as the massive door began to open. At this point Archer didn't know what he was getting himself into...the only thing he did know was that he'd have a blast in the search for his conclusion. Archer gazed into the pitch black of the tomb in both wonder and fulfillment. Out of all the accomplishments he has ever achieved...there has never been a moment to match this.

Archer-"Half a league, half a league, half a league onward. All into the valley of death rode the six hundred." With this simple quote, Tom entered the mouth of death...all the while thinking about the phrase carved upon the stone door..."Give me life and I will show you death." What could it mean? More then likely, it was a scare tactic to keep the inferior from entering where they were unwelcome. Could its meaning be of any other nature...no...it's not as if the dead could come back to life...or could they? The air within the tomb was cold and stale...it must have been sealed over a great many years...too many to determine its exact age. Unhinging a torch from a nearby wall, Archer began to explore the area. The walls were carved upon with a style of writing that was even alien to Tom. This annoyed Archer to no end...how was he to figure out the mystery if he couldn't decipher the text. Skeletal structures of fallen foes littered the tomb in the manner of a warning. Archer, ofcourse, chose not to heed this warning and nary to follow in the footsteps of the deceased. In the tomb's center was located a stone sarcophagus..a very old and decadent sarcophagus. Running his torch over the lid...another phrase could be observed.

Archer-"Here lies Death, last fallen soul of a once great empire. Death is only the beginning." With these words spoken...the lid of the sarcophagus opened from within with an ear piercing screech and a raspy voice proclaiming from its depths.

Death-"Give me life and I will show you death!"

Archer-"Death is only the beginning." This response seemed to spark a change in the mysterious being's atmosphere. The raspy voice evolved into normalcy as Death responded with great pride.

Death-"I am Black, the Warlord of Death and the plague of age's past. My armies were unstoppable as I rampaged like an incoming flood upon the unsuspecting souls. Their screams were music to my ears as I cut down every last remenance of the holy order. I have now been awakened from a very long sleep...let the plague commence as it did in the past!" Little more was seen nor heard as a gust of mist arose from the sarcophagus and quickly made its way toward freedom...only halting at the boarder line between the daylight and the tomb's grand shadow. The mist reformed as the presence of a middle aged Vampire Lord...cloaked in a massive black cape...exited the tomb in a timely fashion. Once on the outside, however, Black felt a great hunger and fed upon a dog that just happen to be passing by. Allowing the dog to go free, Death vanished into the day light as if he never was. This was indeed Prof. Tom Archer's worst mistake...or was it?

Archer-"What have I done? I have unleashed a plague upon Egypt and perhaps...the world. I have to admit, however, that this is a very intriguing outcome...I shall have to give it more study!"

Hauntos, the city gates

-----------------------------------

The day passed at a snail's pace as Jane lay half asleep at her post. It was Jane's great honor to watch over Hauntos as its guardian and protector...pa...as if that meant anything! She was in charge of keeping terrorists...who were on the uprise...out of the city...the question remaining...how? With the legal system the way that it both was and will continue to be...she would need hard evidence to convict a citizen of being a terrorist. What did they think was going to happen? "Sir! Are you a Terrorist?" "Yes! Yes I am and I am going to bomb your fair city!" Truth was...one would have to be pretty stupid to be caught...at least before the action in question...which would already be too late. Still, the pay was good and Jane did get to catch up on her beauty sleep. Who was she to complain? It was at this moment when a man attired in a blood red tunic and a pitch black cape entered Jane's vacinity. Deciding it was time to have a little fun...Jane leapt to her feet with a very serious look in her eyes and spoke in the most professional manner she could mannage to contemplate.

Jane-"Hold it right there...partner! What business do you have within our fair city?"

Death-"Do I need business? Wait..I know...I came for the cheese!"

Jane-"Do you think me a fool? Do you need business to enter Hauntos? Are you seriously asking me if you need business to enter our city? I should charge you with a four-eleven!"

Death-"What...by chance...is a four-eleven? You are making no sense."

Jane-"Am I not, or are you simply ignorant? In answer to your quandry...no...you don't need a reason to gain permission. My job is pointless and everyone but my superiors has caught a clue! Enter the city...see if I give a hoot!" With nothing more to be said, Jane went back to her beauty sleep...which was ever so rudely interrupted with the call of duty. Death hastened his pace into the city Hauntos as he did not want a second performance...it wasn't but a moment later that a very strange breed of dog came dashing toward Jane's location and halted but a foot away from her coordinates. Slightly lifting the tip of her hat, Jane responded to the strain's pantings.

Jane-"Hold it right there, mutt! What's your business within our fair city?" The dog responded with an angry growl...followed by a an injured whine. Jane just laughed as the dog seemed to emulate a response to her quandary quite well and left it at that.

Jane-"I hereby bestow upon you permission to pass, but I'll be keeping an eye on you." By the time Jane had just lowered the tip of her hat, the dog had vanished and he was replaced with none other than her replacement...could it be that time already?

Bob-"Greeting m'lady and how goes your nap?"

Jane-"My beauty sleep was rudely interrupted by a passing citizen and a odd breed of dog...though I think the dog may be a terrorist." Bob just laughed...he'd known the feeling...he had it many times before...it would have appeared that it came with the position. Giving Jane the ok to leave...she slowly took to her feet and walked off without another word.

Inner Hauntos; Jane residence

------------------------------------------

The moment Jane arrived home, she threw her vest aside and clicked the television on to channel three. It just so happened that the current program on the air had been the news. This was always quite dull to Jane as it was usually some kind of terrible incident that...in the end...turned out to be some crazy nut spouting off at the mouth.

Anchor-"And now we take you to our man on the street...Jill...can you hear me now?"

Jill-"Yes I can Dan and this is no time to be clamming around. We come to you live upon the scene where a local citizen claims to have seen a real live zombie. This of course is an oxymoron in itself, but tossing that aside...I take you to the source of the uprising itself. Stan, tell us more about this supposed siteing you have uncovered."

Stan-"I saw it I tell you! One moment the woman had no pulse...then she came after me like I was some sort of meal ticket."

Jill-"How terrifying and what happened next?"

Stan-"What do you think happened next? I pulled out my taser and zapped her but good. I imagine the thirty minute waiting period has long passed by now...IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD I TELL YOU!" It was at this time that the power extinguished...shutting down all electrical devices in the house. Nary giving either the power loss nor the obvious lunatic a second thought...Jane chose instead to get some sleep. The night passed by quickly as sounds of deep moans came from within the city limits. Jane thought very little importance as she'd heard worse and awoke well rested the next morning despite a pounding headache...given to her by the half a dozen citizens pounding upon her windows. Opening the curtains, Jane revealed a few crazed citizens acting...almost like zombies. The torn clothes and blood dripping from their limbs and mouth...along with the undead moan of the recently reanimated deceased state gave this away. Donning an irritated look, Jane cursed as the news had to be correct on this very day and no other...why this? Jane was best described as an old fashioned western cowgirl from her stark white, bran spankin new cowboy hat...to her fancy black boots. Underneath the cowgirl attire, she was actually quite the beauty, though very rarely did she reveal this.

Jane-"Very well then...if they want to play...I say we have a little fun!" Opening a secret drawer within her dresser...Jane revealed an astonishingly high tec arsenal of weaponry and ammunision. Buckling a belt around her waist...Jane placed two Barettas...each equipped with a silencer and one magnum in their corresponding holsters. Next to emerge from the arsenal was Jane's prized double barrel shot gun...which she strapped diagonally across her back and chest. Finally she emptied the armory by strapping many long rings of ammunition diagonally across the other direction.

Jane-"I am Jane, top weapons expert of the highly secretive organization known to the world only as the Slayers. Our goal is to cleanse this world of all forms of the evil undead and even though but a few of us still remain...I will not bow to the enemy! I am the one they feel hunting them in their nightmares. I am death to the already dead...in short...I am their worst nightmare!" Turning once again to the window...which at this point was all but cracked beyond recognition...Jane continued.

Jane-"You want a war? I'll give you...a war!"

Turning her attention toward the door, Jane could easily hear the moans of numerous zombie...it would have appeared that this virus has spread quite rapidly...the question was...what distance could it have traveled? Nary giving it a second thought, Jane donned a wicked grin as she cracked two table legs in half. Particles of wood spewed in every direction as the huntress took up the two rather long stakes that were oh so carelessly flung upon the ground. The table was sent to the ground with a thunderous crash only to be overpowered by Jane's fairly new door being slowly smashed to pieces. Jane didn't care. Burn her house to cinders...chop it into miniscule pea sized pieces...it wasn't like she was ever going to return. No, either the undead were to take her down or she would seek revenge upon whomever did this...home is where the heart is and her heart no longer resided in this city. Jane stood ready, her prized shotgun held within one hand...its barrel lazily slung toward the floor. It was at this point that the door came smashing in and zombie followed as if there were no tomorrow. Jane only grinned.

Jane-"It's time to rock and roll...I'm going to have to rock...you can roll." The zombie, not caring a wit of what Jane had to say...proceeded tirelessly toward their new meal ticket as Jane slyly cocked her shot gun and fired it directly into the zombie hordes. Having waited until the very last second, the blast was devestating upon the undead masses...the first couple of rows...their heads simply exploded...while the remaining were sent backwards decapitating from their former bodies. Tipping the barrels down, Jane took two rounds from around her torso and re-loaded the shotgun before she slung it around her shoulder. Taking up the two table stakes, the huntress proceeded out the open doorway with a vengeance...along the way knocking over a cannister of gasoline...which slowly spread throughout the small cottage in the form of a tiny river. Upon entering the inner city, Jane was ever so rudely attacked from both sides by two incoming undead. The Slayer only laughed as she adorned a slightly more serious smile and drove the two stakes right through each zombie's chest and into the wooden exterior of the house.

Jane-"Hold onto your hats, varmites...from this point on, things will get very hot!" Taking a small lighter from her pocket, Jane lit the fume and...after a moment of silence for her once home...tossed the weapon of mass destruction into the fray. By this time, numerous zombie had broken through the walls and entered the now humanly empty house...only to meet the searing flames of an oncoming fire. The blaze quickly grew in both size and intensity...incinerating all who dwelled within...the soaring inferno did attract some unwanted attention...however. A second Protector approached Jane from behind as she turned with an intent to kill...only find herself coming to a halt but an inch away from her old friend Bob's face.

Jane-"Don't sneak up on me like that, Bob! That's a good way to get yourself killed." Bob only laughed and replied.

Bob-"I had faith enough that you could contain youself. Besides, this is no longer a place for our kind...we should leave."

Jane-"No place for our kind? This is a terrorist act and the exact place for our kind. Do you not agree?"

Bob-"This is not what I signed up for...the undead are not in my job description."

Jane-"Then leave if you must, but know that I am Jane...Protector to Hauntos and I will not give in until I lay dead upon the ground! Besides...these zombie aren't so tough...I've already killed fifteen or so."

Bob-"I wish I had your courage, my friend, but I am but a simple man...with simple skills. It's best to leave this mess to the commandos...they're trained for this kind of thing." Jane only laughed at the comment...as if some government trained commando had anything on her. The Slayers had been around for longer then anyone could remember. Since ancient times the Slayers held power over that of the dead and this will never change. It was at this time that both Jane and Bob parted company and went their separate ways. Moving ever deeper into inner Hauntos, Jane wasn't suprised to hear the sounds of a paniced mob coming her way at a rapid pace. Jane leapt aside as not become road kill...she did this just in time...any later and she would have been trampled into that of a pancake upon the asphalt. The mob dispersed as the equally odd sounds of a vehicle actually entering the city was heard from a short distance away and came to a halt as Jane stood directly in its path. The screech of the old beat-up pickup truck almost made Jane go deaf, though as luck would have it...this was only a momentary lapse. It didn't take long for the head of an older man to pop out of the nearby window and speak with much pride. Before he could accomplish this, however, he pressed down the gas as Jane leapt out of the way in the nick of time...immediately jumping from his vehicle at the very same instant. The truck exploded as it crashed into a multitude of incoming zombie...taking down the whole lot. Jane would have chewed the stranger out...if she had not noticed how he saved her life in endangering it.

Jane-"I thank you for your assistance, but this is not the place for the average citizen. The city has been overrun by..."

Archer-"Zombie? I know. Allow me to introduce myself...I am Prof. Tom Archer, the famous researcher himself!"

Jane-"I cannot protect you and and take care of this menace at the same time. You're only going to slow me down!."

Archer-"I require not your protection...nor do I need your services to achieve my goals."

Jane-"As long as you're here and as long as you contain no military training...I will feel obligated to aid you."

Archer-"Your consciouns is not my problem, madam." It was at this time that a great many moans were heard from all around them. Quickly glancing about, zombie armies could be seen evolving from every direction at once...Jane had no idea it had gotten this bad. The moans were only overpowered by the racket of a helicopter hovering just above their location. The heavy gusts of air almost sent the two to the ground as many ropes descended from above.

Travis-"Let's do this, people! Move, move, move!" It was at this time that a dozen or so commandos vaulted toward the the ground and pulling the pin from a hand held grenade sent one army back to the hell from which it came. Last to hit the ground was Commander Travis himself...government proclaimed leader of the platoon and all around cool looking guy. Turning the duo's way, Travis spoke with slick accent.

Travis-"Greetings, Prof. Tom Archer and Jane of the Slayers. I am Commander Travis...leader of the platoon you see before you. Me and my men were sent here on a top secret mission...if I told you I'd have to kill you...so don't bother asking. As you may now notice, this is not the the time to be making introductions...if you are still alive...I hope to see you around." Turning back to his platoon Commander Travis spoke with a commanding manner...before both he and his team vanished without a trace. "You heard me, ladies! Let's get this walking feast mobile!"

Jane-"Charming man...in a rude sort of way."

Archer-"I couldn't have said it any better." The zombie hordes now almost in reach of the last remaining life on the scene...prompted both Jane and Archer to escape with their lives. Quickly dashing the route of the open passageway and also the path in which the commandos decided to partake...the duo came to halt next to that of a large steel door...where they thought they were safe...but oh...were they wrong!

Research Facility

-------------------------------

Neither Jane nor Archer much cared what they were rushing into whence entering the research facility. Curiously, the door was already open...this occured more then likely as the commando's platoon entered the premises...when again...deciphering one's situation hadn't always been so simple. Archer, noticing a control panel near the entrance...glanced technology's direction with both wonder and intrigue. Jane glared toward Archer's location as she grew ever more impatient with each passing second. The Professor cared little as he became consumed by the techological advancements and would have failed to notice a hurricane had it decided to strike at this time and place. Quickly shoving Archer a side, Jane pulled her biretta and fired a round into the locking mechanism...thereby sealing the doors shut...as dumb luck would have it.

Archer-"Idiot! Your actions very well could have destroyed any manner of sealing our entrance."

Jane-"It worked, didn't it? If I were you, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth." Taking a quick assessment around, the first thing that both the huntress and Professor noticed...was the labrotory's condition. One would assume that a flood swept through it...as the walls were all but rusted and the machinery sparking at the circuits. This was not to mention the small, but seemingly obvious droplets of water plumetting from the ceiling. It was at this point when the click of a pistol was heard echoing thoughout the facility...followed immediately by an angered voice.

Light-"Drop your weapon, m'lady and I won't be forced to fire." Jane turned only to feel a pistol pressed firmly against her forehead. She'd been in this sort of situation many times within the course of her life...too many to count and never once had she backed down...why start now?

Jane-"I refuse to relinquish my weapon...you're simply going to have to kill me."

Light-"I'm warning you, m'lady...I will fire and you will die!" Archer couldn't help but laugh at the situation and respond with an equally smug manner.

Archer-"Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as they so elegantly put it. Why not simply kill each other and get this miserable existance over with...hmmm? Just through that door are almost unlimited volumes of zombie...better to die mortal then one of them. What do you think...Prof. Light?" While Prof. Tom Archer's little speech was out of pure and utter arrogance...it did help to sufficiently to distract the stranger long enough for Jane to obtain his weapon. Quickly snatching the pistol from Light's hand, Jane opened the chambers only to find that this entire scenario was a bluff. The pistol was out of ammunition the entire time. Chuckling slightly, Jane threw the empty weapon to the floor and reholstered her own. Glancing Light's direction with the look a huntress gives her prey, the Professor began to speak in an apologetic tone.

Light-"I am indeed Prof. Light and I humbly apologize for my former actions. You have to understand...I am but a small man in a big city. I simply don't know who to trust anymore."

Archer-"Did you happen to notice a platoon of commando coming through here just before our arrival?"

Jane-"Please, we'd be greatful for any information you can give us about this facility."

Light-"To answer your first question...no...you are the first human life I have seen today. According to the news...that is...before it was taken off the air...some form of new virus has all but flooded Hauntos. I personally have examined your...let's say zombies...and found that this virus contains thousands of mutagenic strands of DNA. I have also deduced...that the V-virus can only be spread by tactile contact or digestion of the infected victom's blood. Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way. While examining the subject in question, I just so happened to come incontact with my..."

Archer-"In other words...the city is dead and you are infected...NOW GET ON WITH IT!"

Light-"Right, right...what can I tell you of this facility...the better question is...what can't I tell you? This research building was built, owned and operated by an organization that preferred to remain anonymous. They hired me roughly three years ago to conduct research on a variety of different subjects...their main goals seemed to focus on the natural abilities of our animal bretheren. The control room is located on the upper most level...while just beyond this lies the back door and only remaining exit to this building." It was at this moment when the lights dimmed and the back-up generators kicked in with a rustic squeal. This squeal was followed an an evil chuckle eminating through the surrounding speakers within the the facility.

Death-"Greetings, honored guests and welcome. You will be taking part in a little experiment I am conducting. Your mission...if you decide to accept it...heck...even if you don't...is to make it out of this building alive. I have taken the liberty of freeing all forms of muatgenic life within this facility...I do hope you don't die too easily! This message has been brought to you by Death...special thanks to the anonymous corporation whose funding was so greatly appreciated."

"Out of the frying pan and into the fire", Jane could hardly believe how true these words had become. They held a choice between an armada or zombie...or to stand toe to toe with Death himself...the party was really heating up now. Jane gave a chuckle at the scene played out so...perfectly! Not only would she get the chance to take on the terrorist, but she could also have a little fun along the way. By this time, both Archer and Light could tell by reading the smile upon Jane face, that it had finally happened...she'd lost her marbles. Caring little for what the duo of babbling professors bantered on about, Jane left the scene with a quick stride. Archer, turning toward Prof. Lights general direction, began to speak of a somewhat more complex manner.

Archer-"So, I take it we'll need to locate the back-up generators and restore power to this building before we're granted opportunity to depart? The back-up generators are located in the basement, are they not?"

Light-"You're quite astute, but I guarentee you will not get far if you plan on taking part in such a reckless course of action. I have been researching this virus for quite some time and where it dulls the abilities in most humanoid hosts...I do believe it would have quite the equal and opposite effect on our animal brethren." Snatching a camellian that just so happened to be passing by, Light continued with his rather pointless banter. "Take our friend the camellian...it is my hypothesis that it's already rather tough exoskeleton will only grow...perhaps even to a blade of armor equal to that of iron."

Archer-"Your thought on this subject are mildly intriguing, but have you taken into account the DNA strands? When exposed to such a high level of resistance, the animal, just as the human body, will break down from the inside out... thus causing a cascading effect eventually deteriorating the very essence of our host to that of peon."

Light-"You are correct, Professor...what you have so elegantly explained is the theorum for most subjects to be...let's say invaded by the bombardment of fragmented DNA. What you fail to realize is that some of us...though rare...have a more deep and complex fibratic structure. Our DNA and white blood cells will refuse to back down...thus causing a type of civil war to protect our immune systems. If by some uncommon chance...we win the war...the viral DNA will both split and multiply...thereby absorbing itself into our very being."

Archer-"If what you are saying is true, then the outcome of this connetic fusion would become too sporatic to even estimate a guess on our final hypothesis. It could generate growth, strength, speed and even the enhancement of our already particular skills. Then again...it could simple vanish into the pit of nothingness created by allowing such a battle to take place. You have intrigued me with your arguments, Professor...we will simply have to compare notes upon a later date." It was at this time that Jane reappeared on the scene...this time highly irritated as the duo began a conversation whence only the upper level of IQ could begin to understand. It was clear by this point that it would take more than brain or brawn alone to achieve the solution to this rat's maze. Jane would be forced to work together if they were to have any chance of success...no matter how painful it may become.

Jane-"Alright already! Let's quit this pointless banter and and find your so called back-up generator!"

Light-"I regret to inform you that I will not be accompaning you upon your reckless exploits. I have matters of my own to deal with. I have yet to discover a cure for my immediate illness and I refuse to exit the premises before this has taken place."

Archer-"I however would enjoy a little sight seeing...seeing how I am safer with you...then with the entire former platoon."

Jane-"Then let us get moving...all this double talk is starting to give me a headache!" Prof. Light seemingly vanished as the duo rounded the next corner...only to find a dying man in a commando's uniform. He lay against the rear wall with a pistol in his hand and one round armed within its barrel. Aside from this tragic scene lay his former weapon...a highly technical..laser guided...fully automatic rifle also armed with explosive rounds. It was truly a marvel to behold as it was rare enough to even lay eyes on such a powerful weapon to begin with...let alone obtain one. This was beside the matter, however, as the soldier turned toward the duo and spoke in fearful manner.

Connor-"I have already been infected by the V-virus...my fate has already been sealed. I will not die one of them!"

Archer-"Infected by what? If you are going to commit suicide anyway...you might as well spill the beans."

Jane-"Professor! How heartless can you get? This man is in pain...no one deserves to die alone."

Connor-"I thank you for your kind words madam, but I will answer the Professors inquiry. I was attacked by some sort of mutant house cat. Its agression was unending...its agility unmatched...its claws paralyzed me from my waist down. Oh, the first strike was wasn't much to brag about, but by the time I received three consecutive blows...it was all over for me. The commander was wrong! He said we'd make it out of this in one piece! He told us with almost complete certainty that we would survive this living horror! The infected roam this facility like moths to a flame. They are unavoidable and none of us will survive!"

Pressing the pistol to his head, the commando pulled the trigger...unleashing the final round of the weapon...shortly after falling dead to the floor. Jane could hardly believe it...a goverment trained commando taking his own life in fear of death. Such acts were unheard of...let alone noted so visually. She could only hope that the remaining of the Commader's forces held their ground with more success than this poor soul was ever given. If not...then they were truly doomed to failure. Acquiring the discarded rifle from the floor, Jane motioned for Archer to lead the way...as he had been the only one who actually knew where he was headed. Backtracking to a rear doorway, Jane noticed that the they would require a forced entry...as the power to the main doors had been shut down. Placing her hands between the small cracks within the door's center...the huntress pulled with all her might...barely obtaining enough strength to open the thing.

Archer-"Ladies first."

Jane-"No, really...I must insist that you go."

Archer-"Not in your wildest dreams, m'lady."

Deciding that this was pointless Jane boldly stepped into the unknown. The room was pitch black as not a thing could to seen...though Jane was not afraid of the dark...she wasn't without fear. One would have to be a fool not to fear the creatures that lurked within every nook and cranny...every single crevice of this installation. It was at times like these...times that she had been left defenseless that she feared most for her life. Jane was only comfortable with what she could see, hear or touch...only a mere one of these options remained of the trio and that worried the huntress more than anything. A screeching hiss was was heard as Jane screamed in pain...not once...but twice. She'd almost dropped her weapon, but as luck would have it...this was not to be. The hissing was heard once more as Jane turned and unloaded in its general direction. As she was doing this, she was reminded of the commando's last words. "I thank you for your kind words madam, but I will answer the Professor's inquiry. I was attacked by some sort of mutant house cat. It's aggression was unending...its agility unmatched...its claws paralyzed me from my waist down. Oh the first strike was wasn't much to brag about, but by the time I received three consecutive blows...it was all over for me. The commander was wrong! He said we'd make it out of this in one piece! He told us with almost complete certainty that we would survive this living horror! The infected roam this faciltiy like moths to a flame. They are unavoidable and none of us will survive!" This thought in mind, Jane pressed her finger upon the trigger in a nervous manner...nary let it loose until she heard the sound of two small bodies hit the floor. Regaining her composure, Jane rolled up her sleeve and called for Archer to join her. Archer hesitantly entered the room in fear that he would wind up just like that commando back there and spoke.

Archer-"Are you ok, m'lady? I heard a scream."

Jane-"I'm fine! Now show me to the basement already!" The nervousness in her voice was clearly ascertained by the Professor's keen intellect. It would have appeared that even the bravest of us are still human...that even an iron will can be broken in one manner or another. A creek echoed through the faciltiy as Archer turned the iron wheel in a clockwise direction...shortly after opening the door leading to the basement...where Jane thought she was safe...lest she find out that the the frying pan was far preferable to the fire.

Edited by Black9

Basement, Sub Level A-1

------------------------------------

Due to the dim light of the entrance, Jane found that she should could barely identify the the basement door. From the thin line of lighting illuminating the basement door, it looked to be old and rusted...more than likely from the apparently massive flood that swept through this labratory rather recently. It was crafted by iron and heavy dents were easily visable...dents that could have only been created by something attempting to escape...a rather large and strong something from the looks of things. Fortunatley, for the moment, Jane cared very little...as she simply desired to escape the nearly pitch black room she had inhabited. Prof. Archer, on the other hand, silently pondered about the rather obvious attempt at evacuation. He could tell that this beast would prove to be quite extrordinary...quite extrordinary indeed...he couldn't wait to study it!

Archer was the first to enter the basement, as he had been the one to unseal the door and was astonished at the sight that beheld him on the other side. The area before him was that of a rat's maze...simply perfect for Death's little experiment. The corridor he held to be his own stretched but a short distance, before breaking off into a fork in the road. The duo of paths before him looked identical, besides the obvious rust and dents that were randomly scatttered throughout this particular section of the laboratory. If one were not careful...they could easily get themselves lost in this maze of viral death. Upon the wall directly next to Archer was written in big red letters, "Sub Level A-1". There were also similar messages upon each conjucting passagway. Located from the left to right, they read as followed..."Sub Level B-1" and "Sub Level C-1". It was clear to the Professor, by this point, that to navigate through the many levels of this facility, one merely need to understand the universal language that was math...this was a subject in which Archer had thrived for most, if not his entire, lifespan. The next thing he noticed was the knee high water level...which was located just beyond the stairs. The water was a murky brown and looked to have been affected by the mutagenic life...which odds are thrived in this aquatic tomb. The sound of rushing falls could easily be heard in the distance...they echoed throughout both Sub Level B and C-1 as the aquatic brown substance slowly raised in both heigth and width within the sewer like corridor.

Archer-"Astounding! This looks to be a scene directly from the text of many a horror novel I've managed to get my hands on. Where it was one thing to read about it...it's quite another to live it. Can you feel it, Jane...Jane?" Archer turned whence he heard the creak of the old wheel...only to discover Jane spinning the thing counter clockwise...thereby sealing the door shut. Jane turned with a nervous grin and spoke in as much of an up beat manner as she could muster.

Jane-"No need to allow entry to those feline zombie. To tell you the truth, I've had about enough of them." Ya! This is the over statement of the century! The huntress was lucky to have escaped with her life..her state of being as it is. One more scartch...and...Jane didn't want to think about it. It was clearly time to tactfully change the subject. Before she could do this though, the Professor beat her to the punch.

Archer-"Did you happen to notice the rather large dent in the rustic door behind you? That thing was crafted of solid iron...can you imagine the immense strength of this beast? The very thought of it makes my blood boil in anticipation!" Jane turned to witness the crator and once again focused her attention the Professor's direction...this time with a very serious look upon her face. The concern in the eyes of the Huntress could have been noticed by even the most unobservant of souls...as she spoke with a soft voice in answer to Archer's quandry.

Jane-"I understand that you desire to study such a subject, but how much research can a deceased professor obtain?"

Archer-"I have both you and my wit to protect me...how perilous can this beast become?" Jane just shook her head.

Jane-"I am a skilled soldier...I'll give you that much, but I am not in fact immortal! Yes! I can be defeated!" Hearing the doubt in Jane's voice, Archer began to realize the reality of the situation. The iron will that inhabited the once unstoppable force that was the huntress...had begun to deteriorate. This lack in confidence could bring with it more danger then Archer cared to find. No! He would be more safe on his own...less distraction meant more focus on his research and more focus on his research meant more awards and a larger budget in his future. The question was...would mere money be enough...with this virus he could take the world by storm! Archer gazed Jane's way as she became distracted by the rising of water level as hedashed down Sub Level B-1. By the time Jane noticed he was gone...it was already too late.

Jane silently cursed as she first noticed that the Professor was no longer in her company. What could the fool have been thinking? Was he trying to be a hero...saving the world on his own? Jane was one to criticize...this was her entire game plan from the beginning. Screw the Professor! If he desired to perish that passionately...then let it be so! Jane was better off without him anyway. He was a distraction and what's worse...he held absolutley zero military training...still...soldiers alone may not be enough to survive this living horror. Returning her attention to the murky water...the Huntress groaned; if she was to restore power...she would have to enter its midst. The scary part was...Jane would rather battle an army of zombie then enter this muck! As her old friend Bob once said...this was not in her job description. Biting her tongue, she took her first step into the sludge...the water encompasing the near peak of her boot. Deciding to just go for it...Jane quickly dashed down the remaining stairs, only to find herself more than knee deep in the thick of things. Being that her attire was a pair of short jean cut-offs...Jane's face went pale. The water felt much like ooze as it washed against her exposed skin and sent a disgusting feeling extending from the tips of her toes to her lower thigh. Just when the Jane was sure that this was the end of her...small particles of a mysterious substance began to randomly brush against her legs and vanish behind her as if they never existed in the first place.

Jane-"What I won't do for my country!" Before Jane could continue upon her mentally challenging path...a massive pain was felt within the very arm from which she was infected. Grimiscing and clutching the limb...Jane tugged on her sleeve only to see that her wound had worsened. What was once two small scratches had now taken up a quarter of her forearm. Jane's mood worsened as well upon the visual assessment of this site. Was she to become one of them? No! She would rather take her own life then live as such a viral beast! The images of Connor firing the pistol round into the side of his head leapt through Jane's mind like wild fire. Deciding to at least try and get over it...the huntress once again regained her composure and focused on her job. It was at this time that the sound of many footsteps were heard in the near distance...pulling her Biretta, Jane rushed around the corner with a vengeance... leaping off the rounded side of the sewer and immediately landing with her gun pressed against Travis's forehead. Not a moment passed before eleven rifles were aimed Jane's direction. The Commander couldn't help but chuckle at the scene...perhaps at this point they were all getting a little too jumpy? With a smile, Travis began to speak.

Travis-"Welcome to the party, m'lady. It's good to see you're still alive and kicking." It was at this moment that Jane lowered and holstered her weapon...the rifles slowly falling as well. It was clear at this point that both her and the commandos were friends and this rather unsoldierly diplomatic solution was good enough for the moment. Jane then responded in a soft manner.

Jane-"Aye, tis good to see you as well, Commander. I was afraid the mutant life had already taken you." Jane really did respect Travis, but feared that if she showed her respect...that the Commander would see her as weak and the Huntress was anything but weak!

Travis-"Truth be told, I was hoping I'd run into you. You see...neither I nor my platoon have knowledge of the whereabouts of this back-up generator. We have searched for quite some time, but the fact remains that this basement is that of a rat's maze. A long story short...we have failed to locate the thing. I propose that we split into two groups. One will search Sub Level B-1, while the other searches that of C-1." Another chuckle was heard from the Commander's direction...before he once again began to speak.

Travis-"I'll even send nearly half my force to aid you...lest you find yourself in a mess of which you can't dig out."

Jane-"I accept your offer, but the platoon is not needed. I'm a big girl, Commander and I require little aid."

Travis-"Pride goeth before the fall, m'lady. I must insist that you accept my help...do it for me?" Jane nodded. If it would make the Commander happy, it was good enough for her. Besides, in the back of her mind, the Huntress was hoping above all hope that he would force the aid upon her...she didn't want to play the hero...not anymore. After commanding his platoon to obey Jane's orders as if they were his own...the duo of teams parted company. Jane, along with five commandos, took Sub Level B-1...while the remaining began their search of C-1. Little did they know the horror that they were up against and the bloodshed that would soon follow.

As the sewer continued...it only become more vile then previously presumed. The water rushed with an almost overpowering force as Jane and her team fought against the rapids. The sludge filled waves washed over them to heights equaling that of mid stomach. For a while, the only thing that Jane could keep her mind on was a warm shower...the commandos...however...didn't seem to mind. Jane could hear the jests sent from troop to troop as they sluggishly made their way up stream and found herself wondering...just how they managed it? Perhaps this was due to their govermental training...the Huntress remembered witnessing such events as a child, but had never before taken part in them. Back then, she had not the will to live in the mud and carress the filth as her own. Small splashes were heard from behind her as she led the platoon into the great unknown...these followed by short, but concise chuckles from the recipient. The thought of it disgusted her beyond the point of no return as she turned their direction with a heavy glare. The look in her eyes translated with the power and respect of the mighty ocean itself as the commandos immediately fell into line and came to a halt. It was now...whence she had clearly earned her platoon's respect...that she took a careful look at her role in this very place and time and presented herself accordingly.

Jane-"Do you find this amusing? If you in fact do, you will share it with the entire platoon!"

Johnson-"I see nothing humorous about our situation, sir!"

David-"We of the secret service have no sense of humor that we know of, sir!"

Jane-"Good! We are the Commandos! We are a force feared by our enemies and honored by our allies! We were chosen for this mission because we were the best of the best! What are you waiting for, Ladies? Let's get this walking feast moving!"

It was at this time a multitude great rasps were heared echoing from every direction of the sewers...the sheer sound sending shockwaves rippling through the murky waters...thereby stirring them to an even greater level of ferocity. The current was the least of the problem, however, as images of mutant chameleons...half the height and twice the length of a human being were spouting forth from the darkness that was the platoon's aft. A great mist covered the watery grave as the Commandos almost immediatly fired upon the the newly encountered mutants. The visability of both Jane her team went severely south as the lizards charged in for a free meal. The Huntress felt powerless as she heard the horrified screams of her troops...shortly followed by the snapping of bone. It was at this time that the mist that once filled the air vanished into oblivion opening her eyes to the sheer horror the scene had become. Jane stood alone in the center of the three great beasts...still ignorant to the demise befallen by her former platoon. She could still hear their screams echoing through her mind...she could still feel their pain as their bones were cracked and swallowed by the creatures. She came to this conclusion after observing a particle of bone within the side of one chameleon's mouth. Jane took on a dead serious tone as she glared the lizard's way with pure and utter hatred in her eyes and spoke in an intensely severe manner.

Jane-"If it's a hunt you muntants desire...it's a hunt you shall receive!" Without warning...one of the three chameleons lashed out with its tongue...barely missing its target as Jane leapt out of the way in the nick of time. Rushing up the sewer wall...the Huntress pushed off the side with inhuman strength and in a feat of almost slow motion manuvering...fired her semi-automatic. To Jane's surprise, however, the bullets met the lizard's scales only to be deflected on contact. "No wonder the platoon was so ineffective!", was the only thing that went through Jane's mind as she landed in a backward flip. Quickly switching her rifle from machine gun to explosive rounds...Jane was caught off guard by a flood of sludge that almost knocked the Huntress to the depths below. Moments later, she was covered by the splash of a chameleon landing but a foot away from her location. It gave a rasp only to feel the burn of an explosive round sent down its unforgiving little throat. The lizard rasped in pain for a moment, before exploding into a thousand pieces. Jane, knowing that the rifle was now useless to her, switched the weapon from explosive to machine gun and tossed it into the mouth of a second chameleon. It took a few seconds for the beast to swallow the semi-automatic, but soon fell as the weapon went off within its stomach.

Jane-"Two down and one to go!" The lizard created a small tidal wave as it plummeted from the ceiling to the watery depths and gave a threatening glare the Huntress's way. This time, however, she stood the force of the attack more skillfully then before and mannaged to maneuver her way around the beast. Rounding a nearby corner...into Sub Level D-3, the Huntress vanished from sight...losing the chameleon in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

The moment the chameleon passed, Jane slowly emerged...chest first in an upward motion from the water below...the rapids, however, taking with it most of her gear and supplies. Standing steadfast vertically, Jane whipped her long flowing auburn hair in a half arch as it momentarily played in the stale air and finally took its rest over her left shoulder. She accomplished this just in time to notice her hat...along with various other articles of clothing being swept down stream and out of arm's reach. It was at this time that her natural beauty took hold over the rough cowgirl exterior that she tried so hard to maintain. Jane's soft green eyes sparkled in the moment as time seemed to freeze and all worries of valor and honor were swept away. It was as if fate took her hand and told her of a life...a life Jane had only dreamt of...a life where she could truly become the huntress that hid so deep inside her. Jane donned a tan leather vest fringed at the bottom with various lucky horseshoes along it's decor. The vest flapped in the rising air current spewing forth from behind her and protected a fancy white shirt with frills upon its waist, neck and sleeve lines...slightly open at the collar. Around her waist and lower body were a pair of short jean cut-offs and a belt holstering two biretta and a magnum. The first thing the huntress noticed was perhaps the missing shotgun shells she once held over her shoulder...her shotgun clenched within her hand. Last but most certainly not least, remained her combat dagger stratigically strapped to the side of her right boot. It was at this moment that Jane distinctly picked up the sounds of combat from near her location. The voices seemed vaguely familiar...as if she'd heard them before.

Tomson-"What in the nine Hells is that?"

George-"It resembles some kind of mutated chameleon?"

Greg-"It'll be a dead mutated chameleon by the time I'm done with it!"

The sound of rifle fire was heard shortly after this, but that was not all. The rasps of the chameleon horde were only drown out by the cries of pain given by the commandos as their bones snapped in two under the crushing weight of the awsome beasts. The Huntress could invision the faces of the victims and their comrades as their power slowly fell to the invading force. It drug her to the point that she could hold back no longer! If she was to die...she was going down in honorable combat...aiding her companions in the process! Jane followed the screams as best she could as they seemed to echo amist every level befitting the basement. It wasn't an easy task, but Jane soon managed to locate the battlefield...only to gaze upon a horrific sight. The flood water was filled with the blood the victims as it rushed by her and all at once sent the huntress to a place she had not been for some time. Over the course of her life, Jane had seen all too many wars and far too many deaths. It was for this very reason she gave up command and instead went solo. Amidst the commotion, Jane could barely make out the figure of the Commander...barking some incomprehendable order to his troops before the scene went dark and multiple explosions erupted Jane's way. Just managing to avoid the dispersed eruptions...the Huntress stared in horror as the scene went silent. With the dust finally clearing, all that still remained upon the battlefield was the Commander and an adjacent chameleon. Travis stared the lizard's direction in disbelief...his only weapon being the combat dagger holstered at his shoulder. Staggering to his feet, the Commander fought to steady himself...it was clear by this point that he thought his adventure through life had come to a rather gruesome end. Bowing his head, Travis muttered one last phrase.

Travis-"It had been said before by another great leader...tis better to live on my feet then to die on my knees. Let it be known that I lived!" Travis braced himself for death, only to hear the sound of a shot gun go off directly behind him. The shells barely missed his shoulder as he opened his eyes to reveal the lizard rasping in pain. A small splash was then felt as Jane lunged the piece of junk the chameleon's direction with a vengeance and spoke with an equally vengeful manner.

Jane-"Take that, you damn mutant!" Slowly revealing herself from the shadows encompassing her, the Huntress turned Travis's way and continued in a rather emotionaly confusing manner. "You give up far too easily, Commander...it's unattractive in a man...but we can argue semantics later...for now I'm not done with our little friend!" Normally Jane would simply have finished the job as quickly and stratigically as possible, but the Huntress felt something within her. Unbeknownst to Jane, the virus had broken down much of her resistance and forced her to behave in a manner unbefitting of lady. The chameleon almost showed fear as Jane pulled her dagger and charged its way at inhuman speed. Leaping into the air with an unusual momentum, the Huntress landed upon the lizard's back...whence she plunged the blade into the exoskeleton of the beast...penetrating the iron like armor with little effort. Neither Travis nor Jane thought much of this as the Huntress felt for the first time...pleasure. She seemed to derive pleasure from the lizard's pain and suffering. The chameleon wailed in pain as Jane thrashed her dagger out of its inerds and with a grin, flipped backward plunging the weapon once again into its brain...killing the beast in the process. Cleaning her dagger off on the dead carcass, Jane leapt once again to the flood below...reholstering her dagger in mid air and landing in an almost acrobatic manner. The rage in her heart only grew as Jane could think of only the hunt. Turning Travis's location...Jane spoke harshly.

Jane-"The hunt has not yet been completed! We must turn the the water red with the blood of our enemies!"

Basement, Sub Level F-3

----------------------------------------

Travis knew deep down in his heart that something glaringly obvious had changed within Jane's aura. In the past, he'd read much about her life and in no instance had she ever taken pleasure from the pain and suffering of others...this constitutes even that of mutant life. Travis was now faced with a great puzzle...the puzzle that is human life. It is this very puzzle that has baffled many a great thinker in history's past and will more then likely in the future to come. Besides, who was Travis to find the answer? Perhaps this was an enigma that contained no truth...whose response became meaningless at best and held no validity. Perhaps he was over thinking this entire subject? While gazing into her eyes, however, the Commander couldn't help but notice a fleeting, but all too obvious glint of red. This event elapsed in but a moments time, leaving Travis once again confused. Could it have been the flickering of the dim lighting? Indeed this remained a possibility. Could it have mist in the air around them...working with some viable yet utterly too scientific source? This was also a quandry that came to the Commander's mind in what fleeting time remained. Whatever the answer, the question itself would have to wait...for they had far more important matters to attend. One of these matters was the missing counter parts remaining of his team...but perhaps the more important of the two...they would have to locate this back-up generator post haste. In the sequence the tragedies had unfolded...following that of his run in with Jane...the generator seemed to become lost in the chaos and forgotten all together.

Jane-"Your welcome, Commander. What's wrong? Do I...leave you breathless?" Jane felt something within her...something taking over not only her body, but the very spirit in which she acted toward others. The Huntress knew for a fact that she would never willingly choose to act so rash, but it seemed she had no fashion of resistance to attempt control.

Travis-"I humbly thank you for saving my life, M'lady. If I may ask? How is it you penetrated the chameleon's armor?"

Jane-"As if that lower organism had anything on me! I am a skilled Huntress, Commander...I require a powerful prey!" As a wise man once said, "this was the straw that broke the camel's back". Never in the reports had Travis ever come across Jane being so direct. She was a woman of many mysteries and this was what he'd like most about her. Her wit was that of legend amongst his troops...he would indeed have to locate the problem and hinder the difference. Shoving the subject aside, Travis changed the priorities to that of a more pressing matter...this matter being that of the back-up generator.

Travis-"The back-up generator is located just down this Sub Level."

Jane-"Seems a little easy, doesn't it?"

Travis-"My sentiments exactly...that and it's been some time since we were blessed with the presence of death."

Jane-"This is obviously a trap and we both know it. However, with this knowledge...perhaps we can counter Death's efforts?"

Travis-"Honor the light brigade! Honor the charge they made!"

Jane-"When into the Valley of Death rode the six hundred!" It was at this moment that their little scene was ever so rudely interrupted by the squeak of the speakers attached to the curve of the rounded ceiling and an all to memorable voice echoed over the failing circuitry.

Death-"Congratulations! You have located the back-up generator and completed half of your remaining task within this building. Oh yes, I have been listening to your every savory word and I must admit, this television sitcom is turning out to be quite amusing. If only we had this kind of entertainment back in my age. Perhaps then I could have...toyed...with my opponents a bit more then formerly desired? But I am straying from the subject...aren't I? Now I could simply allow you to restore power, but that would be so uncharacteristic of me? Let's have a little fun, shall we? I think I'll instead introduce you to my little friend...I do hope you play nice!" A squeak was heard as the speakers suddenly cut out and were replaced with the an ear piercing metal scraping upon rusted metal and by the length of the torture...they could be sure it was a very...big...something!

A mixture combined of dust and mist filled the air of the Sub Level as multitudes of tremors manipulated the scene. The tremors only worsened as the beast grew ever closer to the duo's location. Meanwhile, while all this was happening, the rage in Jane's heart multiplied in an ever growing state of being; forwarding from single foe...to all those encompassing the area around her. No! The emotion was not so narrow minded...so...limited. It was as if she hated the world! By this time, the tremors exploded into full blown earthquakes as the beast causing them...had just come into view. A foul odor overpowered the Sub Level as the misty dust vanished into the void. This odor was followed immediatley by the an ear pounding roar...it was all the duo could do to keep sane under such pressure. The rising water level had now gained in momentum and had risen to both soldier's waists. It was at this moment, whence the beast was about to show itself in all its ferocity...both unholstering and tossing a biretta Travis's general location...that Jane began to speak.

Jane-"I happen to notice a few chemicals back there. Can you keep Tiny busy for me?"

Travis-"With this? What do you expect me to do? Tickle it?"

Jane-"Yes, that's exactly what I expect of you. Don't dissapoint me, love."

Travis-"I was being sarcastic! You do recognise sarcasm, don't you?"

By the time this phrase was uttered, however, it was already too late...as Jane had vanished from the scene mere moments before. Travis returned to the problem at hand only lay eyes upon the largest alligator he had had ever seen. The reptile barely fit within the Sub Level. If it grew any more, it may take this entire place down with it! Firing his newly aquired biretta the beast's way, (how could he miss?) the bullets deflected off the scaly exoskeleton with little more than an itch. It was at this moment when the Commander could remember thinking..."Great! Now I went and angered it!"...which was exactly what had happened. The reptile glared Travis's direction with the fury of a thousand stampeding bull and gave out a roar that nearly ruptured the Commander's ear drums. Setting the weapon to explode on impact...Travis proceeded to thrust the biretta into the alligator's mouth...the explosion only angering the beast to even further extents.

Travis-"Jane? If you would be so kind...hurry it up...would you!"

Jane-"Rome wasn't built in a day, Commander. I suggest you hold him for as long as possible."

Travis-"Whatever you say, M'lady."

Jane stood in front of a table filled to the brim with various chemicals of many a variety...the scene reminded the Huntress of a younger age. When Jane was in school, she had gained a rather troublesome reputation...particularly in the field of chemistry. It had been jested that she could blow up the school with the concoctions that she managed to create. In fact...there was one incident when she managed to blow a rather large hole in the wall of the labroatory. This action got her thown out of school for the rest of the year and that wasn't the worst of it! It was this background that created a perfect opening for her line of work. Glancing over the many options given to her by this wonderful institution (Man, if she only had this choice selection back then), Jane located every ingredient but one...and then dumped the rest into the beacon. Quickly corking the concoction, Jane turned the corner to see Travis in a near death situation...immediatley yelling...

Jane-"Fire in the hole!" Travis turned as Jane lunged the bubbling brew toward the beast's coordinates...then immediately emerging themselves into the depths below. The resulting explosion was a sight to see...if they had bothered to take the time. The reptile roared in agonizing pain for all of a minute before falling dead to the floor. Re-emerging from the depths, Travis raised an eye brow in intrigue after setting his gaze upon the literally thousand degree burns that lay before him. Turning Jane's direction...he began to speak.

Travis-"I'm sure glad you weren't in my chemistry class."

• 4 weeks later...

Travis-"Nice job there, Duke Nukem! We should have hired you from the start!"

Jane-"Ha! Like your skills could possibly compare to mine!" This was the defining moment...oh, there were times when he'd suspected Jane of changing...but this was the moment that brought it all together. The attitude...within her past Jane never would have spoken so bluntly...she would have thought it...but never said it aloud. Travis held no knowledge of Jane's problems, but knew that problems she held. Also speaking rather bluntly...Travis continued.

Travis-"The way you talk...it's not lady like...M'lady."

Jane-"I am a huntress! My enemy has risen up against me! I will spare no expense to take it down!"

Travis-"This reckless attitude will only land you in more trouble, M'lady."

Jane-"Why Commander? Do I sense fear in your voice?"

Travis-"Fear and common sense can come hand in hand."

Jane-"You're wrong, Commander! Fear is what holds great men and women back! Fear is what separates the soldiers from mere cowards! The only enemy we have to fear is fear itself! If you're so afraid...Travis...then take this!" Unholstering her magnum, Jane threw the impressive weapon Travis's direction with a vengeance...smugly grinning the entire time. Travis caught the projectile with ease...and checking it over for a moment, tucked it safely away.

Travis-"My soldiers are still down here...I must find them."

Jane-"Your soldiers are dead, Commander! You have to open your eyes and view the truth!"

Travis-"And what is this truth...that you have gone mad?"

Jane-"The truth is that we are the only ones alive. Your men are dead. The Professors have also met their end. We are the only soldiers worth our weight within this cowardly bunch! The truth is that I no longer need you, Commander! I can finish this war on my own!" Jane could feel it...the virus had overpowered her better senses and had almost taken control of her entire being. Oh, the tangled webs we weave, when first we venture to deceive. These words came back to haunt the Huntress as she failed to inform the Commander of her infection in its early stages. Now...she feared it had been too late!

Travis-"You disappoint me, M'lady." With these last words, Travis swiftly took a 180* and dashed around the dimly-lit sub level with little more then a wave good-bye. It was at this time that another voice was heard...this time from behind the Huntress. The voice seemed somewhat familiar...yet held little recognition to the subject at hand.

Light-"Intriguing! The virus merely turned me into an obsessed professor...but you..."

Jane-"What makes you think that I'm infected?" Light quickly approached Jane and glanced into each of her eyes with the curiosity of a cat...make that a dozen! It would have appeared that the good Professor had been indeed correct in his former hypothesis. The virus had obviously strengthened his obsession with the cure...he would find it...or die in the attempt.

Light-"Your eyes. They tell me volumes. Much more then words can ever explain."

Jane-"I do believe you have gone mad, Professor."

Light-"Your aggression. It's a sign that you have held a highly violent past. You were infected quite some time ago!" The Professor, though mad, really was quite brilliant...perhaps even greater then Tom Archer himself? Not giving Jane time to respond...Light continued.

Light-"The cure! I must hastem my research! This virus is a formidable foe indeed!" With these last words, Prof. Light as well vanished around the dimly lit sub level...leaving Jane alone in the corridor. Now she'd done it! She not only alienated the Commander, but the only person that could cure her as well. "This virus is formidable foe indeed!" These words rang through her mind and she fell to her knees within the rising sludge. The rushing water had almost reached her neck as yet another voice was heard...this time from the speaker system.

Death-"And so the Commander sets off on a quest to find his missing platoon...leaving poor defensless Jane to her misery...alone in the sewer! Things are looking down, but down they will still go. Prof. Light, her only chance for this infectious virus's cure has abandoned her! Jane now lies knee deep in the sludge she herself has sowed! Don't you just love the irony? The team splits apart...its once mighty force withered to nothing! I myself can't wait to see what happens next...see ya!"

Alone...knee deep in the sewer...Jane felt as if everything was slipping away. Though giving an image of a brave aura...deep inside Jane knew that it was only a shadow to mask her true state of being. Her sanity precarious...new habits and beliefs jumped in and out of her head. The Huntress felt as if she was enclosed in a small and dark room...the hatred of the world encompassing her from every angle. She could no longer fight it...the hatred had won! Jane awoke within the very room that changed her...she could faintly hear the sounds of mutant cats warning all who entered their territory...that they will take no prisoners. There was a time when this thought would have frightened the lass, but Jane was no longer herself. She was no longer the Huntress that protected Hauntos from terrorists...the woman that once lived within this body had died within the sewers of her mind...and had been replaced with a force that should never have been allowed to live. She had now become...Apocalypse! Jane glanced through the dimly lit doorway...her eyes sharp as a hawk and black as a midnight ride. After taking in the screeching of the feline race...the Huntess could remember a faint memory of fear. Fear! The emotion no longer inhabited her body, mind or soul! There was no love...there was only hate...a mere competition as to find out who held the most power! To quote a phrase Jane had once beheld.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion

Through passion I gain strength

Through strength I gain power

Through power I gain victory

Through victory my chains are broken

The Force shall set me free."

The feline race didn't worry the Huntress in the slightest. They were a lower level organism...a life form that held little more then the power to kill mice. No, Jane had transformed into the sentinal of Death himself! She was the perfect soldier...genetically enhanced with the speed of a jungle cat and the agility of the rabbit. She held within her the strength of an ox and the bravery of a lion...there was no way she could be defeated! Entering the main hall, Jane glanced to either side...noticing the presence of the cats and at the same time, the missing Commando known only as Connor. The cats turned her way with a scowl that could kill and let out a screech that nearly ruptured Jane's ear drums. Jane only laughed as she ran up the front wall of the hallway...leaping off with inhuman strength. Both unbuckling and pulling her Biretta...the Huntress gave a smile as her foe leapt off the wall in her direction as she fired at will. The scene almost turned slow motion as the bullets plunged into the skulls of the felines. One by one, they fell to the wrath of the Apocalypse...until the sound of an empty barrel echoed into to the distance. Still in mid-air, Jane threw the worthless weapon a side and braced herself for the inevitable impact...only to be saved by a stranger in the shadows beside her. The beast bellowed in pain as the magnum round pierced its side with a professional accuracy causing it to fall dead to the floor within seconds. Landing with a thud upon the floor and crashing into the wall behind her...Jane knew very well who this stranger had been.

Travis-"Don't need my help, huh? You can finish this war all on your own?"

Jane-"I never asked for your aid! This feline is a lower organism and poses no threat!"

Travis-"If there had been no threat...then why did you brace for impact?" The Commander was right and this irritated Jane to no end. Before she could respond...however...Travis continued.

Travis-"Your infection is quite advanced...isn't it? No mere human could have achieved the stunt that you just accomplished."

Jane-"My state of being is none of your business! I am the apocalypse! I am the perfect soldier! I...am...Death!"

Travis-"Death? Interesting! You understand there is another that refers to himself as Death...you may know him."

Jane-"If you're talking about that bloody Vampire Lord...we will see who is Death's true servant!"

Travis-"We will indeed...M'lady." With these last words, the Commander vanished from sight as if by magic. The question still remaining...was he ever even there?

Venturing ever deeper into the depths of the facility Jane heard the familiar ramblings of a certain professor. "Intriguing!" Entering the kennel, the Huntress took a quick glace around to notice roughly six cages...all of them open. "These creatures must have been enormously powerful!" Each cage was the size of your average canine...only by the teeth marks...they looked to be torn open from the inside. Walking up to one of the cages...Jane wrapped her hand around the dented steel bar and easily bent it into a small knot. "A beast that contains the ability to render solid steel useless...now that would be a sight to behold!" Turning the corner, Jane glimpsed Prof. Tom Archer...he appeared to be closey studying one of the six broken cages. Donning a wicked grin...Jane began to speak.

Jane-"Why if it isn't Prof. Tom Archer himself! Long time,no see!"

Archer-"Oh, sorry...I seem to have forgotten you were there. Come...allow me to enlighten you."

Jane-"If it's about these minor virus's, then don't bother! These canine are nothing compared to me!"

Archer-"Famous last words of a fool, M'lady...for knowledge is power and if this is true...then a god am I!"

It was at this time that sounds of footsteps were heard approaching the duo's coordinates...it sounded to be the footsteps of a four legged beast. Both the Huntress and the Professor knew what had been approaching...it was one of their six friends and a man's best friend. Jane turned to see a rather large Doberman Pincher...the blood dripping from his mouth confirming that he'd just fed...but that doesn't mean he still wasn't hungry. Jane adorned a grin as the Pincher took up battle positions and growled as if he'd been defending his territory. The two combatents locked eyes as the Huntress unbuttoned and checked over her combat dagger...immediately afterward giving the beast a sign to, "Bring it on!" With a second menacing growl, the Pincher took off like a light...his paws stretched outward in a mighty leap the Huntress's direction. The beast clenched his teeth with an ear pounding snap...Jane barely managing to avoid the death blow, slashing the neck of the canine with one clean swipe.

Jane-"Ha! That wasn't so difficult! I told you they were nothing compared to me!"

Archer-"Congratualtions! You killed one! Now what are are you going to do against them?"

Jane-"Them? You mean there's more then one...as in plural?" Jane turned just as a second dog leapt onto the top of one of the broken cages and a third into the hallway where the last one once stood. Images from her last encounter popped in and out of her head...images of the single canine almost snapping her in two and sending her back to the Hell in which she came from.

Jane-"I suggest you run...Professor...as fast as you can!" No sooner did Jane finish this phrase as they were both out like a light...their friends giving a close chase behind them. Turning the corner, Jane leapt onto the wall and ran across it with amazing speed and agility. The dogs, less agile...smashed through the stone with ease...breaking their necks upon impact with the ground. In doing so, however, both a fourth and fifth Pincher were revealed...apparently snacking on the sixth. Leaping from one wall to the other...performing a fancy spin in the air for acrobatics...Jane turned just in time plunge her dagger into the head of her oncoming foe...losing her weapon in the process. Stealthfully landing upon the ground...Jane searched in vain for the final mutt and nearly lost her head as it leapt from the cage tops...only to be blown away from an all to familiar Magnum.

Travis-"This is the second time I had to save your skin, M'lady!"

Jane-"Once again...I never asked for your help! I could have defeated the thing on my own!"

Travis-"Whatever you say, but let us not waste our time with such trivial matters. I came to inform you that I have located our exit point and was wondering if you planned on leaving with me?"

Archer-"I don't know about Jane, but I'm with you...Commander!" Jane only laughed and responded accordingly.

Jane-"As if I need your aid! I can leave any time I desire! You live your lives as if they mean something...you're pitiful!"

Travis-"I take it that's a no? Very well...come Archer...we're leaving." With little to nothing more said...both the Professor and Commander vanished from sight...leaving Jane once again alone...but for how long?

Walking through the door next to her, Jane entered a long slender hallway that extended to some length...and felt uneasy. It was as if some presence had been hidden and refused to show itself. The thought of the unknown had always disturbed the huntress...if fact...most wondered why she took up protection in the first place. It all started late one night, when she was a child...Jane was playing in the backyard when a man took hold of her from seemingly no where. She could remember fighting, but failing to free herself from his clutches...from that point on...the darkness always made her wary. It was at this point when the huntress decided to throw caution to the wind and challenge her fear head on!

Jane-"Come out, stranger! I have precious little time!"

Connor-"The queen bee herself...the scurge of the research center has come to visit little old me? I'm honored."

Jane-"And who exactly are you supposed to be...Santa Claus?"

Connor-"I am the scorpion that protects the desert. Betrayed by my friends, I hunt alone."

Jane-"Connor? Don't tell em that's you?" It was at this point that a laugh came from the shadows and out stepped man dressed in a commando's uniform. The uniform itself had been torn asunder by a various assortment of scratches. Yep, it was Connor alright, but something seemed off...he had not been behaving normally and this...Jane knew...could only mean one thing...he'd been infected!

Connor-"You can't defeat him, you know. "

Jane-"I can't defeat who? Speak plainly, or don't speak at all!"

Connor-"Death, he's lived for more years than you can imagine...heck...you can't even defeat me!"

Jane-"Is that a challenge?"

Connor-"If you're brave enough...or stupid?" With nothing more said, Connor both unbuttoned and pulled his combat dagger from a strap upon his shoulder. The dagger was of similar fashion and design to both the commander's and Jane's...but why? Tossing this matter aside, the Huntress stood ready as Connor charged forward with vengeance and longing in his heart...if you can call it that! With a swift and precise motion of her right arm, the Huntress took hold of Connor's forearm...halting the attack all together.

Jane-"So! You're a mutant too." Connor just smiled and responded accordingly.

Connor-"That's right...both the scorpion and bee were turned by the very same feline."

Jane-"This could get interesting."

Breaking loose from Jane's hold, Connor managed to thrust his dagger the Huntress's direction...barely missing as Jane swiftly managed to avoid the mutiple blows. Thrown to the defensive, Jane attempted to eye the next oncoming attack. Judging from the stance the Commando took up and from the variation of fighting styles...this task was almost impossible to accomplish. Nevertheless...the Huntress took up the challenge...and by sheer desire...won. The blow came from the left, barely scratching Jane's shoulder. A look of great pain came over the huntress's face, but quickly faded as her soldier like instincts took hold...grasping the situation. The dagger whooshed past her with the strength of an ox and plunged into the narrow walls that created the hallway. Connor's weapon, momentarily becoming lodged, gave the Huntress the chance to draw her own dagger and lash out just in time for her blow to be parried. Managing to pull his weapon from the wall...Connor turned just in time to be knocked on the head with the blunt end of Jane's dagger...falling unconscious to the floor but seconds later.

Jane-"Archer was wrong...knowledge is not power...I am!"

• 2 weeks later...

It was at this moment when the eerie sounds of a low mumble could be heard emanating from the very next room. It took every last ounce of will power the Huntress held to keep her from finishing Connor. The infected Commando looked so helpless as he lay unconscious upon the ground...such an easy target...but easy was not Jane's way. If they could not fight back...they weren't worth the effort. No, the mumble interested the Huntress much more then some easily attained victory. Slowly entering the nearby doorway, Jane was presented with a small lab. The lab seemed to be filled to the brim with various gadgets and chemicals of which she knew nothing but nonetheless were present. The mumble could still be heard from just around the corner, only this time Jane knew exactly who had caused it.

Light-"No! No! No! That's not correct either! Blasted science!"

Jane-"Why if it isn't Prof. Light? How have you been, old man!"

Light-"Old? Watch who your calling old! I'm the only one that can cure you...you know!"

Jane-"And about that cure...I no longer require your aid."

Light-"Do you believe that you'll live forever? The molecular mixture between your systems molecules, combined with the extraordinarily adaptive traits found in the V-virus...combines to form an imbalance that..."

Jane-"Get to the point, old man!"

Light-"The virus in its fullest form will steal your very soul and send you into the next life without even time to pack." Already bored with the Professor's words, Jane, without hesitation, took hold of the Professor's collar and continued to slam him against a nearby wall. Before this could be attained, however, Light slapped his hand down on the control panel next to him...causing the the entire installation to go haywire. "Warning! A bio hazard has taken effect! All inhabitants are to be terminated at once!"

Jane-"What have you done!"

Light-"I have just activated the emergency locking system. In a few moments, this entire facility will be sealed shut."

Jane-"..."

Light-"This will cause all remaining within its walls be sealed away for a period of forty eight hours."

Jane-"I assume you know the way out? I've been through this drill before."

Light-"That depends...are you going to kill me?" The hatred within Janed stirred with the power of a thounsand suns...telling her...no...willing her to end all life on this miserable rock. On the other hand, the apocalypse didn't like the idea of waiting.

Jane-"Fine! I won't kill you...yet."

Light-"What was that? I find myself forgetting. Its been a long time since I had been forced to do this...you know?"

Jane-"I...won't...kill...you! Now get moving before I lose my temper!" The fact was, however, that the Huntress had never fully lost her temper and therefore could hardly gain any more anger then she'd already acquired. This being beside the matter, Jane loosened her grasp on the Professor's collar and painfully tossed him aside. Landing upon the ground with a thud, Light turned with an irritated manner, yet was repelled for obvious reasoning.

Light-"Now we wouldn't want that to happen...would we? This way, your Rudeness."

• 4 weeks later...

Motioning toward a highly conspicuous stairwell...the Professor dashed with a sudden burst of speed in an attempt to ditch his new companion...only to find that the Huntress was right at his heels the entire time. Every twist he altered...every turn he made, she was there and before long, he finally realized the truth. As a wise man once said..."If you can't beat'em...join'em." It didn't take long for the duo to reach the control room...the very room Death had become such a nuisance and the location whence he would meet his end. Jane came to a halt as she noticed the Professor quickly exiting the facility. Call it her natural instincts or the viral interpretation, but the Huntress knew that something was amiss. This entire scene looked a little too easy and as any hunter knows...the easier the prey...the less satisfying the kill.

Jane-"Death! We manuvered our way through your maze...we took down your creatures of the dark....why do you hide from us now...now that we finally reached our goals?" With these words, the entire room slowly filled with an eerie mist. Sounds of laughter were audible from every direction at once and the stench of the undead could be idenified with a simple whiff.

Death-"You'll have to pardon my rudeness, but I am a busy vampire."

Jane-"So! The Lord of all Vampire himself...finally shows his true colors...or does he?"

Death-"Hmph! So it would appear that the vermin have finally passed their first test. Be warned...this entire ordeal has only been a test. Did you truly believe that I was seriously trying to best you? If I'd wanted you dead...I would have vanquished you long ago!" Void of holy energy, the heavily increasing mist quickly transformed into the Vampire Lord himself...into Death! The lights went dim as if some sort of magical darkness covered the very room in which they stood and yet the Huntress nary moved an inch from her present location. Before long, a darkened figure stood before Jane...his cape barely visable and his eyes black as the night. Little more could be seen as the light had all but vanished...only the glint of a rather decadent sword and a few ordinary daggers around the Vampire's waist. Black gave a grin as his prey stood strong in the presence of Death and slightly chuckled as it began to speak.

Jane-"Is that the best you can do? I've seen magicians that have pulled off far more impressive feats!"

Death-"Did you not enjoy my show? Pity...I worked so hard on coming up with just the right entrance."

Jane-"Let us get on with this! Shall we?"

Death-"If you're that eager to die...then I see no need to drag this little scenario out. Prepare yourself...Huntress!"

It was at this moment that the sounds of footsteps could be heard echoing through the halls....once more headed their direction. Both Jane and Death distracted by this new upset, glanced behind them just in time to notice an incoming figure...a human figure...or was it? With inhuman speed, this new stranger shoved Jane aside...drew his Combat dagger in mid-air and delivered a powerful blow to Death's right shoulder. The Vampire Lord grunted in pain as he fell to his knees. It had been a long time since he'd been struck and even longer since he felt such agony. The pain quickly passed, however, as the wound healed itself and Death once more regained his prowless.

Connor-"If anyone is to take down the Queen, it will be the Scorpion!"

Death-"My, my, we have become quite the party crasher...haven't we?"

Connor-"Quit delaying the inevitable, Death! Only one of us will have this privledge and it will be me!"

Deciding that both Connor and Death were too many to take on at once...Jane vanished into the darkness...her footsteps overpowered only by the combat around her and the crashing of the steel door as it sealed shut behind her.

• 1 month later...

The sun shown bright as the glare nearly blinded the Huntress upon exiting the research lab and once again entering the outer world within the city. It seemed like forever had passed since she last felt the warmth of the sun and felt the gentle breeze upon her back. It was almost enough to bring her out of the trance...almost...being the key word. For a moment...a split moment, Jane felt safe...free from the burdens of this lab...but this was not to last. A sound was heard from just ahead as the Huntress turned with a vengeance...almost making contact with a familiar face. Low and behold, another stepped out of the shadow and spoke with a scientific intellect.

Light-"If you're looking for Archer...he split."

Travis-"I feared you wouldn't make it, my friend. I am happy to be wrong for once."

Jane-"Hmph! As if those lesser viruses could handle me?"

Travis-"We're not out of the woods yet, my friend. On the contrary...the battle's just begun."

Light-"Indeed, it's perhaps more dangerous out in the open then within the lab's enclosed space."

It was at this moment when the moan of literally thousands of zombie were heard eminating from all around them. The moan was of such volume that even a deaf man couldn't turn a stone ear. The trio turned just in time to see an angry mob storm around the corner alley and into the streets at breakneck speeds...well...for a zombie! Small tremors created searing cracks within the surface of the asphalt these tremors threatening to take the city down with them in the process.

Travis-"So this is how it all ends? I imagined my death to be somewhat more glorious."

Light-"Indeed, there are too many for the three of us...besides...we were fools to try and take the city on our own!"

Jane-"Who's this we? You got a mouse in your pocket? Perhaps they're too much for you, but not I?"

Light-"She's got some guts! Doesn't she...Commander?" The Commander couldn't help but laugh.

Travis-"She's right, Professor. If were going to go down...I say we go down fighting!"

Light-"Suit yourself, but personally, I'm choosing to take a ride on our local helepad. I sure would enjoy some protection." Travis slowly turned the Professor's direction with a wicked, smooth grin. The Professor wasn't as dumb as he looked. Jane on the other hand...ignored the duo entirely. She was the apocolypes...if this bunch of mindless virus's were strong enough to stop her...then she wasn't worthy of the title...now was she?

Travis-"Then protection is what you shall have. Heck, it's better then dying."

Jane-"If you cowards feel the need to run...then do so...but to truly live...one must embrace life and all its glory!"

Light-"Glory means nothing when fighting for a futile cause." Jane only smirked and responded with a noble tone.

Jane-"Did General Robert E. Lee run from Grant? If he had turned tail and fleed...would he be known throughout history today?"

Travis-"I respect you too much to say otherwise, Jane. I will personally see to it that your name is never forgotten!"

Light-"Shall we be going...Commander?"

Travis-"Give them one for me...will ya M'lady?" With these words the trio parted ways. Their fates separate, but linked at the same time. Have their chains been broken? Will this mean the end for the trio? Only time will tell!

Jane-"Give me freedom, or give me death!"

• 3 weeks later...

The scene seemed to move in slow-motion as Jane stared down the necks of limitless zombie. The alleys...buildings...even the sewers spewed out zombie in endless waves. 'This could even be a challenge for me', Jane thought to herself as enemy force closed in on her location. 'No! I am the apocolypse! I cannot be defeated!'. Readying herself for combat, the Huntress flinched as the undead force...instead of engaging...chose to pass her by with little more then a howdy.

Flashback

------------------

The mist reformed as the presence of a middle aged Vampire Lord...cloaked in a massive black cape...exited the tomb in a timely fashion. Once on the outside, however, Black felt a great hunger and fed upon a dog that just happen to be passing by. Allowing the dog to go free, Death vanished into the daylight as if he never was. This was indeed Prof. Tom Archer's worst mistake...or was it?

--------------------------------------------

It was around this time that the Huntress noticed that they were not attacking...in fact, it was quite the opposite...they were scared, but of what? A deafening roar was heard echoing throughout the city...a roar of such volume that it even made the Huntress cover her ears to drown out the sound. The echo almost sounded farmiliar...as if she'd heard it some time in the past.

Flashback

------------

Jane-"Hold it right there, mutt! What's your business within our fair city?" The dog responded with an angry growl...followed by an injured whine. Jane just laughed as the dog seemed to emulate a response to her quandry quite well and left it at that.

Jane-"I hereby bestow upon you permission to pass, but I'll be keeping an eye on you." By the time Jane had just lowered the tip of her hat, the dog had vanished and was replaced with none other than her replacement...could it be that time already?

-----------------------------------

It was then that an earthquake hit the scene with a force nearly ten times the size of the last and from around the corner emerged a beast the likes that Jane had never heard of...let alone seen. The dog stood the size of a triple decker bus...his muscles flexing to near mythical proportion and his teeth...well...let's just say that you don't want to be dinner! It was Texas all over again as the beast turned its ugly head the Huntress's direction and snapped its jaws together with yet a second ear pcing clash. Jane knew that this foe would be a formidable one...even her cocky attitude was somewhat tamed by Cerberus's impressive build and size. The show down began as both competitors held their ground...their eyes locked in an eternal gaze...that...until Jane donned a smirk.

Flashback

----------------

Bob-"Greeting m'lady and how goes your nap?"

Jane-"My beauty sleep was rudely interrupted by a passing citizen and an odd breed of dog...though I think the dog may be a terrorist." Bob just laughed...he'd known the feeling...he had it many times before...it would have appeared that it came with the position. Giving Jane the ok to leave...she slowly took to her feet and walked off without another word.

-------------------------------------

Jane-"If you think you have what it takes to handle me, Partner! Then I say go ahead and try your luck!" Cerberus charged the Huntress's way with a valiant roar, barely missing as Jane leapt out of the way of his blow...leaping into the air and pounding her fist into his chest with an almost thunderous clash. Cerberus gave a howl of pain to the sky and Jane landed back upon the ground striking a cool pose. She'd have stroked the rimb of her hat if she still had it. The beast stuck again...this time in a downward blow. Caught off guard, the Huntress braced for impact as the giant paw crushed down on top her her. Jane could barely keep her balance as the force of the two virus's fought for control of the situation. Nearly being crushed to death...Jane managed to roll out of danger...only to be taken off guard again. Launching a tackle the Huntress's direction, Jane just managed to avoid the massive body slam in time and sent Cerberus into the the side of a nearby building. The building folded like paper as the monster crashed like a wrecking ball and forced Jane to take evasive action due to falling debris. Cerberus turned unharmed as the debris was minsicule to his massive build and gave a threatening growl the Huntress's way.

Jane-"Ha! See ya next fall...Terrorist!" Those were the last words that Jane uttered before the the entire building came down upon the beast...burying the hound literally in a mountain of rubble.

Jane-"The bigger they are...the harder they fall! Varmit!"

Meanwhile, not far from Jane's location, another battle of epic proportions had been taking place. The scene turned dark as both Travis and Light dashed down the nearby alleyway and rounded the bend to find themselves standing before an impressively large and decadent door. Stained in blood, the duo turned to the sounds of a small zombie army...still not in visible distance...but hot on their heels.

Travis-"Can you open this door?" Travis requested in a rushed tone...his voice almost incomprehensible.

Light-"A seven digit security code? I don't know...this can be tricky!" By this time, the commander's hand had grasped the cuff of the Professor's white lab coat...vibrating in an uneasy wave of events. The Commander's voice became angered as he stared deep into the Professor's eyes and spoke.

Travis-"Can you open the door or not! Scratch that...you will open the door while I distract our little friends...do it now!" Aggressively shoving Light toward the security panell, Travis turned the former corner only to greeted by an unending line of zombie. Their ranks seemed to stretch both into and past the horizonal distance. Even knowing the battle to be futile, the Commander's rage absorbed him giving birth to a beast that lay dormant for a reason!

Travis-"I am Commander Travis...sole survivor of the special forces and top unit of the government in question! Those soldiers you killed were not merely my companions...they were my friends and I will take my revenge if it means my life!" These were his final words as he drew forth his weapon and fired it into the zombie hoard repeatedly until the sound of an empty...click...echoed into the distance. Tossing the gun aside, the Commander unbuckled his shoulder strap and unsheathed his final means of defense...his combat dagger! "Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it!" Before he could charge into the fray...however...an unseen force came tearing through the enemy lines like a hurricane arriving at a halt but two feet from the Commander's location. The figure was that of a middle aged woman...stained in both blood and unmentionable...breathing with heavy breath.

Jane-"Need a hand, Love!?!"

Travis-"Love one, dear!"

Jane-"Then let's get this party started!" The zombie rushed in...only to meet the blades of two combat daggers...one faster then the other...decapitating many a head in the process. I'm not going to lie to you...the scene became pretty messy as the waves of zombie fell to the duos aggressive attack...that is...until they could fight no more! The zombie surrounded the duo with a ring of certain doom...their ranks still unaffected by the merciless slaughter of the battle. Both Jane and Travis knew that they were beaten...that not even the apocolypse herself can hold back this army alone. It was here...in these uncertain times...when the team seemed to finally give up.

Travis-"We'll Jane...it looks like the end has come."

Jane-"I said it before and I'll say it again...you give up far too easily."

Travis-"Ha! Even you should see how futile this battle has been." It was around this time when the only sound that could save them occured...the doors to the hanger opened and the path to freedom clear...we'll, besides the hordes of zombie in their path! Travis couldn't help but laugh. The old fool actually opened that blasted door...took him long enough!

Light-"Hey! It's time we stopped playing with the neighbors and started making our escape!" This was all the duo needed to hear as they tore through the zombie lines and came to a halt directly in front of the Professor. Jane continued on in the fact that she did not care for the others enough to gossip at this place and time. Travis stared into the eyes of the professor as Light handed him a syringe containing a strange colored liquid. Travis knew what it was but not sure why he was given this. This reason became apparent moments later...when Light began to speak. Before he did, however, the past came back to haunt him.

Flashback

--------------------------

Light-"No! No! No! That's not correct either! Blasted science!"

Jane-"Why if it isn't Prof. Light? How have you been, old man!"

Light-"Old? Watch who you're calling old! I'm the only one that can cure you...you know!"

Jane-"And about that cure...I no longer require your aid."

Light-"Do you believe that you'll live forever? The molecular mixture between your system's molecules, combined with the extraordinarily adaptive traits found in the V-virus...combines to form an imbalance that..."

Jane-"Get to the point, old man!"

Light-"The virus in its fullest form will steal your very soul and send you into the next life without even time to pack."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Light-"This is it...I have reached the end...my friend...this is as far as I go."

Travis-"We both know that neither of us are innocent, but to simply give up?"

Light-"I can't live with myself any longer and a if a good man does nothing...well...you know. What I have just given you is the cure to this virus. There's only dosage enough for one soul and I believe you know who I mean. I am not yet one of them...not yet a zombie but I will be if I put things off. I vow on my life that I will die human...die with the nobility that I may one day be remembered as a good man. This virus can't take me down if I don't let it." A tear came to both companions eyes as these words were spoken...as Travis responded...he couldn't help but feel a pride he'd not yet witnessed for many years.

Travis-"Live true, my friend...die free!" No sooner were these words spoken...then company they did break. The last thing Travis remembered hearing...before the Hanger doors sealed...was the final valiant struggle between a man and fate...the struggle that created something that this world truly needed... a hero!

Both Jane and Travis entered the hanger ready for trouble, but oddly enough found the place deserted. The air within the hanger was stale and old...it was as if this building had not been in use for some time. Dust covered the walls in thick layers...just barely revealing an arcaic computer system to the far left and a pathway leading to a hall. The hall was rather ordinary in the fact that it contained no distinguishing features...let alone a few electronic doors and one yeilding a security code. It was around this time that the sound of laughter was heard eminating from the nearby hallway...followed by the claps of a very enthused man. Archer...it seemed...had somehow illuded the zombie hordes and managed to beat the duo to the punch. Donning a wicked grin, Archer began to speak.

Archer-"Oncore! Oncore! Wonderful show indeed!"

Travis-"Why if it isn't Professor Tom Archer himself? I almost believed you dead?"

Jane-"No millitary training? Hanging around in a hazard such as this? He should very well be!" To this Archer only laughed and completely ignoring the issue at hand, began to speak in an amused manner.

Archer-"So noble! The good Professor gives his life and one and only cure to save an innocent! I'd be touched if I had a heart!" Both Jane and Archer could see the rage boiling within the eyes of the Commander. It seemed ages since he let loose his true feelings and it would appear that he all could possibly strangle Archer on the spot.

Travis-"You'll pay for what you've done, Professor! I will see to it that you never leave this city alive!"

Archer-"Don't act so innocent, Commander? The sad fact is that we all deserve to be put to death."

Jane-"What in the blazes are you two talking about! Tell me...or I will dispose of you myself!" Travis tried to interrupt, but was cut short by the ongoings of a highly annoying professor.

Archer-"You mean to tell me that Travis here has not bothered to inform you of the means this situation came to be? Why do you think we are all here? Why do you think we even care about this city and its people? You truly have no clue...do you?" Leaving no room to interrupt, Archer continued. "To analyze this situation properly I'll have to delve into the past. You see...this happened many years ago...when we first located Death's tomb. From within this ancient site, we managed to extracte an interesting substance. The substance formed an odd array of DNA that held within it endless possibilities! This mission was kept as a secret and never left the trio that discovered it. A trio more commonly known as...Professor Light...Commander Travis...and myself...Professor Tom Archer!

Travis-"It didn't matter how hard we tried...each of us saw this discovery in a different fashion. Light's research resulted in a positive manner. He tried to help the world. Myself, I desired to keep this from harm...protecting the DNA with my life. Archer...on the other hand...had something more dangerous in mind. The Professor desired to turn this DNA into a virus...a weapon that could take this world by storm and quite literally extinguish life as we know it! I couldn't allow this to happen...so I kept the sample safe and away from his greedy little paws! To this day, it lie dormant!"

Archer-"Yes and you accomplished your task with far too much procision...I was forced to find my sample elsewhere. This is when I broke back into the tomb and in the process freed a dead man from his sleep. This act had not been intentional, but served my task more efficiently. I then followed this man into the city we now dwell."

Jane-"I see? So this man had no intention of aiding you and your plans? He simply acted alone?"

Archer-"Sooner or later, we managed to conveniently locate a research vacinity...which we all just happened to enter. After meeting up with our Good Professor Light, I led you to the only room that had lost power. Do you remember the first time you came in contact with the mutant cats? Do you recall being infected? I knew very well what dwelled within that lab and where!"

Travis-"And what about Connor? Was he on your hit list as well? Say yes and I'll gut you like a fish!"

Archer-"No! I had no interest in that waste of a human life! I bred this virus for one reason and one reason only...it's a weapon...but not in the fashion that you may believe. The weapon stands before you...Commander! The weapon is Miss Jane here!" By this time, Jane had become increasingly annoyed with the Professors constant ramblings and it showed on her face. Did these fools really believe her a to be their property? They were all to blame...every last one of them! This much was clear! By this time, Travis had vanished altogether leaving Archer and her alone in the hanger.

Archer-"Join me, Jane! Yielding both my brains and your brawn...we can usher in a time that this world will not soon forget!" Jane only smirked at the Professor's proposal...as if he had any right over her...over the apocolypse itself? Not a second passed before a dagger plunged into Archer's abdomen with the force of a thousand suns. Archer could only mutter his last few words before falling dead to the floor.

Archer-"Whaaaa...Why?"

Jane-"As if I need your help! I don't need you! I don't need Light or his precious cure and I most of all...don't need that soldier boy Travis! You once inquired why I was here. I'll tell you! I am here for only one reason! Death...I'm coming for you!"

Meanwhile, at the far end of the hall, Travis stood in front of the large steel door with a look of disgust upon his face. He felt anger...anger toward Archer, anger toward this entire situation and most of all...anger toward himself! This entire scenario had been one blunder after another and the Commander had finally had enough! First came the loss of his unit...then, the death of his good friend Light and finally the corruption of his love. No! He was through blaming others. Someone had to be at fault and that someone was himself. Long ago he could have ended Archer's life and in the process saved a city. One life! One life for the sake of many! Is that really too much to ask? It would now seem that the end has come and this day of darkness would last him a lifetime of pain and suffering...that is...if it couldn't be remedied. Forcefully punching the the security code, the Commander almost broke the ancient control panel...managing to open the door in the process. The door opened with a slow squeal which normally would bring one to their knees, but in his current state...nothing phased the Commander! His world taken from him...torn away in a fit of rage and pain...if he lost Jane...his last link to life...he would be dead both inside and out and there would be no more reason to live! Through the ruins of his life, Travis noted the sound of foot steps appraoching him from the rear...very...familiar...foots steps. Not yet ready to face his love, Travis threw a smoke bomb upon the floor below him and vanished from sight completely. Jane was only able to catch a quick glance at the man as the smoke cleared and the light of the fading day shown through. The Huntress was forced to shield her eyes as the sun shown too brightly and the shadow of another beamed down the staircase. The shadow created by that of a caped individuall...and within the borders of this city...one being adorned with a cape...Death!

Death-"Muhahahahahaha! Come forth my child and seek the prize you have long desired." Death only smirked as Jane slowly appeared through the light as if she had been an avenging angel...sent forth to bring down the darkness at its source. But the sad fact was...the Huntress was no angel at all...she was quite the opposite. Death stood before the Huntress adorned in his usual attire...the blood red tunic torn to shreds and the cape barely able to protect him from the sun's deadly rays. Death stood ready for anything...his face most certainly mocking the child spawn which dared to call herself his nemesis and with a fit of sheer confidence...he began to speak.

Death-"How does it feel? You have finally received a chance for vengeance?"

Jane-"I have been waiting for the day a long time, Death. There is no way you can spoil it!"

Death-"Throughout the years, I have been known by many a name. In the ancient times, I was the Warlord of Death. In the age of the champions, I was the Champion of Chaos. In the age of mystery, I was the Ghost of Trindale and in the now time, I reclaim my rightful title...as The Warlord of Death." Jane couldn't help but laugh at the sheer mockery in Death's voice and responded accordingly.

Jane-"Very impressive, but you are not the only one with a title. I am known as the Queen of Hauntos. You may be the Avatar of Death, but I am the apocolypse and this fact is undeniable! I have heard much in the way of talk from you, Death, but I have yet to see your legendary skills in combat. So why don't we cut to the chase and have at it already?" Death donned a grin that could sway an angry mob and motioned for Jane to make the first move. The Vampire Lord hadn't even bothered to unsheath his sword...let alone ready himself for battle. Jane unbuckled her combat dagger from around her left rear side and without warning lounges forward in a charge. Yielding amazing speed and agility, the Huntress sliced directly through the vampire's chest...only to hit mist. Death only grinned as Jane turned with a backward slash and continued in vain to even make contact with her target. A few moments later, after the entirely onesided fight commenced...Death caught Jane's arm in mid air...mere moments before making contact with his face.

Death-"Tell me...is it my turn now?!" Sending a kick to Jane's stomach, the Huntress bellowed over in pain...only to be launched into a concrete wall at breakneck speed. The Huntress could barely lift her head high enough to notice the wicked grin donned by the Vampire Lord. Every muscle in her body ached with a pain not even describable within the limits of the english language...forcing her speak in a rather shrill tone upon gaining consiousness. As she attempted this feat...Death slowly and smugly made his way over to her location.

Jane-"You know what your problem is, Death?"

Death-"No, but I bet you'll tell me."

Jane-"You are far too proud...FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!" Suddenly and without warning...the Huntress took hold of a two by four and with tremendous force...broke it over the top of the Vampire Lord's head. Unable to grasp the pain...Death couldn't help but stumble in shame and defeat. Ultimately letting out one final phrase before falling unconscious in battle.

Death-"How? How could I have...been...defe..."

From the midsts of nowhere Travis appeared...the grim expression upon his face visible to even the most green of amateurs. His mission nearly completed, the Commander's sights swayed Janes way and brought with them a longing to leave this life...a longing to take no more lives...a longing to live in peace. No, as long as he still held within him the ability to draw breath...he could never find the peace he so searched for...it had all been one big war...his life held nothing but pain and suffering. The fact was that he deserved to die on this rock, that this Earth would be a better place without his existance. There remained only one task...cure his love and let her be on her way. Jane had been the only true innocent in this entire endeavor and the Commander would not allow another innocent to die...not to his hand! Both fatigued and wounded, Travis slowly approached Jane's location...coming to a halt but a short distance from death...as she began to speak.

Jane-"And just what do you want? Why have you not evacuated?"

Travis-"My mission is not yet complete. I have two tasks yet to accomplish."

Jane-"I have heard you boast about this precious mission of yours for ages...spill it already!"

Travis-"I was originally informed of this situation by a fellow you should know quite well...one by the name of Bob."

Flashback

-----------------------

Jane-"Don't sneak up on me like that, Bob! That's a good way to get yourself killed." Bob only laughed and replied.

Bob-"I had faith enough that you could contain youself. Besides, this is no longer a place for our kind...we should leave."

Jane-"No place for our kind? This is a terrorist act and the exact place for our kind. Do you not agree?"

Bob-"This is not what I signed up for...the undead are not in my job description."

Jane-"Then leave if you must, but know that I am Jane...Protector to Hauntos and I will not give in until I lie dead upon the ground! Besides...these zombie aren't so tough...I've already killed fifteen or so."

-----------------------------------------------------

Travis-"I was then sent here by my government to assess the situation and deal with it accordingly. My number one goal within my mission perameters...was to contain the V-virus before it became capable of spreading. When this goal had failed to be reached...I then was to eradicate all traces of the Virus...under any means necessary. Both you and the city of Hauntos are the only remaining sources."

Jane-"So, you're going blow up Hauntos and kill me on the spot? How neighborly of you!"

Travis-"No, Hauntos is a lost cause, but you are not. You can still be saved...before Light gave his life...he passed onto me the cure. He could very well have saved it for himself and gone the way of the selfish, but he indeed chose to save the only true innocent...you!"

Jane-"As I informed Death...I may be down, but I am not out. You stand no chance against me! Not now! Not ever!" Jane slowly got to her feet...pain shooting sharply through every fiber and muscle in her body...but she would not give up. Travis could see the grim look upon her face with the slightest of movement and came to realize that he had become...by now...more then a match for the Huntress...but the most dangerous of beasts were those backed into a corner. Jane rolled into a sideways stance...snatching her combat dagger along the way. Travis, noticing this motion, reached around his waist and palmed the syringe containing the cure. Jane lost no time leaping forward in a fit of rage and ultimately plunging her dagger into Travis's right shoulder...landing steadily as can be expected from one in her condition to his back. It was only after the Commander had fallen to his knees clutching his wounds...that Jane noticed an empty syringe within her left leg.

Jane-"What? What have you done?" Jane felt as if a war raged within her...as if her cells suddenly became renforced and had taken the virus by storm. She could feel her immense power draining from her body with every nuance that passed and all at once gave a roar to the heavens...a roar that eventually turned into that of a high pitched scream.

The energy draining from her body like the oncoming flood...sent Jane to her knees in awe of its great power and grace. The demon within her vanished as if it had never been and was replaced with the mind set of extreme confusion and darkness. It was as if half her world had been torn from her in the blink of an eye creating a new reality to adjust. For any normal person...this adjustment would have been quite a feat, but the Huntress was no normal person...now was she? Jane spoke in a confident, yet utterly confused manner.

Jane-"Who...where am I? The last thing I remember is darkness...a cat scratch and pain!" By this time, Travis had come to realize, that Jane remembered nothing past the first contact with the V-virus...this would complicate matters indeed. By this time...pain flowing through the commander's Shoulder became unbearable...forcing the Commander to clutch his wound with one hand and attempt to speak. The words muttered from Travis's direction...both mumbled and staggering...would show Jane the truth, yet it could no longer be helped. He'd wanted to proclaim his undying love for her, but knew deep down, that in her mind...they just met. It was in this moment that his heart broke...that half the world had been torn from him as well and forced the Commander into a deep depression.

Travis-"Jane, you must leave this place." Jane glanced around her shoulder...only to notice a dagger penetrating his right shoulder and creating a near mortal woundl. Once more, from the markings on the blade...she had come to realize the horrible truth...the dagger was hers! How...how would she do such a thing? Her mind raced in ten directions at once...whence she finally spoke...her voice filled with pain and confusion.

Jane-"I did this to you...didn't I?"

Travis-"No! You did nothing...it was the virus!"

Jane-"But I was not strong enough to fight against it...I refuse to switch the blame!"

Travis-"Jane...you have little time...take the copter and go!"

Jane-"In my core, Commander, we have a motto...a motto where no man is left behind!"

Travis-"I cannot go with you...for I have nary to complete my mission. Please...allow me to die for my sins?" Jane just shook her head...the Commander had become irrational. To die for ones sins was one thing, but to just give up...well...that was quite another. Painfully helping the Commander to his feet, Jane propped him up onto her shoulder and began to speak.

Jane-"You can court martial me later Commander, but your leaving Hauntos with your life intact!"

Travis-"I'm sorry to do this, M'lady, but you leave me no choice." Taking a small detinator from his pocket, Travis punched a button to the side of the control panel...immediately throwing the detinator to the ground and smashing it to pieces with one firm stomp of his boot. "I have just set off a series of well placed explosives I have set up throughout the city. This had been my counter measure for just this type of situation. You're in the military...you understand."

Before Jane could utter a word, an explosive went off just under the ceiling in which the duo stood upon...forcing the ceiling to crack in a violent array of detinations...ultimately sending Travis to one side and Jane to the other. Travis landed hard on his good shoulder knowing that one day this would come to pass. He knew before he came on this mission that he'd not be returning. Jane took to her feet almost immediatly...turning only to find that a large chasm separated both her and the Commander.

Travis-"T'was fate, M'lady. My mission was to irradicate all traces of the V-virus...lest it fall into the wrong hands. I knew before I embarked on this mission...that I would not be returning...for I am the last. I do, however, want you to know one thing before I perish. Even though we have just met, M'lady. I feel as if I have known you my entire life. I can die a happy man." Jane knew little of what the Commander was speaking of, but understood good and well his feelings. She remembered times in her past where she was forced to take extremes in the name of duty and honor. Jane just never imagined it happening to her.

Jane-"I will find a way to save you, Commander! I swear it!"

Travis-"You're the most stubborn woman I have ever had the pleasure of meeting...I like that...it reminds me of me." It was around this time when a second round of explosives went off...allowing Travis to vanish from sight in a moment's notice. Too distracted to pay attention...Jane noticed the ground below the helicopter severely breaking apart and with a final leap...leapt into the driver's seat just in time to start the engine. The propellers began to spin, but the fact of the matter was...it wasn't fast enough. Almost certain that she'd met her doom within Hauntos, Jane gave a moment of silence for all those who perished within this city. Another round of explosions eminated just under the helipad...forcing the copter to slide backwards and just as the Huntress was about to meet her death...the volocity of the propellers sped up and created an air current strong enough to lift off. After making a clean break, Jane turned and gazed upon the city of Huantos one last time...only to find that it now lie in ruins. Jane didn't know what to believe. The entire tragedy seemed a nightmare...if only it had been.

Jane-"I will remember you always...Commander." Hours later, a military copter had been sighted upon the tattered remains of the broken city of Hauntos. Connor stood at its tail gate with a smirk on his face.

Connor-"It would appear that Site B has been a success after all."

Soldier 1-"A success, Sir? How so? The place was demolished!"

Connor-"We took down an entire city with no blame upon us...wouldn't you consider this a success?"

Soldier 2-"Sir! We've located two survivors!"

Connor-"You going to inform me of their names...or do you have to go missing in action?"

Soldier 2-"The Vampire and the Commander, Sir!" This brought a grin to the Scorpion's face.

Connor-"Travis...my dear friend...I knew you'd survive this living horror...you never do fail to disappoint me." Turning back toward the Soldier, Connor continued. "Bring them with us...they will be very...useful...in the future!" Immediately after stating this, Connor vanished into the cargo hold of the copter...a faint laugh eminating to all whom were present.

(This is the end of the story...hope you liked it.)