The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Perfect Sell

Tanuchan

Wyvern steps up to the speaking platform dressed in a formal business attire, adjusting his tie as his tail shifts back and forth in a nervous manner. Tapping the stand's microphone with a claw and causing it to screech with static in the process, the reptilian cringes until the sound passes, then hisses:

"Greetingsss ladies and gents. On behalf of Almost Dragonic Inc., I, Wyvern, would like to present you with a series of statistics regarding a Summer product line of ours that never worked out: Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™."

Wyvern turns to a projector that rests behind him and whips out a remote control, clicking a button and accidentally switching the channels on the Pen Poem Discovery Booth in the process. The overgrown lizard scratches his head when he notices that the projector isn't turning on, and begins banging the control on the edge of the podium until the appropriate button is hit. The audience goes silent as what appears to be a graph, a pie chart, a linear series of numbers, a poorly doodled drawing of Annael, a coffee stain, three essays, two data documents, several poorly doodled butterflies, an Almost Dragonic Logo™, five powerpoint presentations, and several jumbled punctuation marks all appear on the same screen.

"As you can see from this sssimple diagram-"

Upon hearing this, half of the crowd leaves the room as fast as they can.

"-Almost Dragonic Inc. took a big hit last Summer, which adds another hit to the list of large hits we recieve all year long. Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™ simply didn't sell around the quarters of the Pen, largely due to its taste, which many Pen membership have compared to toilet water... not a surprising phenomenon, as one of the drink's primary ingredients istoilet water. All natural toilet water, of course."

Wyvern adjusts the neck of his business suite nervously, then quickly switches the projection to another image, this one of a blurry map of some distant land.

"We at Almost Dragonic have devised a method of selling the leftovers of this product successfully by marketing them in another land entirely. It has come to our attention that the Orc tribes of Gurrghur and Forsmach have been feuding recently in the land of Gaia, providing the ideal opportunity for cool Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™ to sooth the heat of combat. I'll need two volunteers for a mission to Gaia to advertise this Almost Dragonic product to both of the feuding sides, and to set up a Lemonoaid stand at the center of combat for maximum profitability. Volunteers will be equiped with the latest in Almost Dragonic Brand Technology... namely, a rickety old stand for selling drinks stolen from a seven year old boy, several pitchers of Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™, and a disfunctional cooler to keep them stored in. Any takersss?"

Silence from the crowd.

"Ehehehe..." Wyvern fiddles with his claws nervously. "Did I mention that our guild leaders will be rewarding you for this?"

The lizard ducks menacing glares from Salinye and Ayshela as he awaits a response from the crowd.

Salinye steps up to the platform and taps Wyvern upon the shoulder knowingly. “Well, folks. Seeing as Wyvern has agreed to pay for this mission…” The almost dragon’s jaw dropped as he gaped at the wizardess and she tightened her grip on his shoulder. “…the AVV has agreed to send some adventurers on his mission. Mostly because the AVV Mistress has a sick sense of humor.” She added beneath her breath. “However…” She looked down at the note within her hands. “…this mission has been assigned to Stephen Hascodem and Tanuchan.” The two hesitantly stood within the crowd looking across the room at each other. “Please locate either Scarlot or Lorne when you’re ready to depart and they’ll take you to The Treasure Room to show you how to activate your portal…errr…good luck.”

Supressing a groan, Tanny sighs and nods at Salinye, leaving the room. I just can't believe in this... a mission for Wyvern... what have I ever done of so wrong to the gods?

Once outside, she scans the other people leaving until she sees again the man who had been appointed as her partner. Examining him at the same time as going into his direction, she registers how his green-shaded clothes dress him perfectly, a comfortable fit that wouldn't hamper his movements for being either too tight or too lose. He turns his profile to her, lighting a cigarette - and that surprises her.

A Ranger, smoking?

He turns and with sure steps he goes towards her. Tanny can see the light gray eyes, surrounded by scars, in his pleasant, clean-shaven face.

"Stephen Hascodem?"

Stephen briefly nods his head. From the way her voice sounds when she says those two words he gets the feeling that she's not really looking forward to this quest.

"Greetings, Shapechanger. Tanuchan, I believe."

She nods. Then, feeling suddenly foolish for letting gestures talk for her in front of a clearly blind man, she whispers a 'yes'.

"I have heard of you, Wolf-Lady. Unfortunately, not enough to say that I know you. But I hope we'll get along well, if we are to be successful in our quest."

The voice is pleasant although guarded, and both leave the Guild Underground in search of a better place to talk and plan. Soon they find a comfortable bench in the Courtyard.

"So, what are your skills? It might sound blunt, but we don't have long before Scarlot decides to push us into the Portal herself."

Tanny doesn't answer at once, taking her time to get used to the presence of this surprising Ranger. She senses that he is also observing her, somehow learning about her even if he can't see her with physical eyes.

"I have all the skills of Wolf and Tanuki, including this one's Illusion spells. I use also earth and water energy to weave magic. I'm good enough with throwing knives and bow, and I know which side of a sword hurts."

Stephen chuckles briefly at her choice of words but becomes serious again almost immediately.

"So you are a ... mage?"

She didn't sound like one... could I have been wrong?

"And one who would lower herself to go off adventuring with one such as me."

His voice trails off a little at the end, and that surprises Tanny - coming from one who seems so sure of himself. She pauses for a second before answering, deciding to find out later why he seems so bitter about mages.

"No, I'm not exactly what you would call a mage. The Illusion spells don't really count since they're natural for the shape and other than that I weave the energies of water and earth for some... effects."

The corners of Stephen's mouth curl up slightly when she mentions manipulating elemental energies.

"Good. We'll need that if we're going to end up between two warring orc tribes. I take it that you can heal others as well then?"

Tanny nods unconsciously. "Yes, I can do that, at least to a certain extent. But it surprises me that you know about the weaving of elemental energies... I mean, people usually don't see the difference between that and Magic."

"Because people think that if something looks the same, then it must be the same. I know next to nothing about magic because no wizard would share his secrets with anyone who is not a wizard themselves, but I do know about elemental energies. I never really had to explain this before, but... let's say that I can reach into the earth to gain information. I wouldn't be able to do that if the earth wasn't infused with an energy of its own."

Tanny wanted to interrupt by telling Stephen about some of the mages she knew here, at the Pen, but she decides to let it rest for now. Instead, she asks about his connection with the earth.

"So you can ... read...? the earth's energy. Can you manipulate it as well?"

"No, at least not that I know of. When the thought occurred to me I felt as though the power would just... sweep me away. Getting information is all I do with it, really."

She checks her curiosity, feeling that the time isn't right yet for talking about that subject but definitely planning to bring it up at a later time.

"And what about your other skills, Stephen? If I may call you so."

"I have healing skills as long as the right herbs are near, and other than that I'm pretty good at scouting. I can put up a fair fight with my quarterstaff and my arrows don't miss very often."

Tanny moves a bit in surprise, to which Stephen reacts with a grin. He didn't talk about his archery skills very often, or about his other skills or anything else for that matter, but the reactions were usually the same.

"The only time I hit someone I wasn't supposed to hit was because he was moving on the wrong moment."

Stephen blows the last smoke away and lets the last bit of his cigarette burn up in his hand before crumbling the ashes into the wind.

"You didn't sound really happy with this quest. Why would that be?"

"You don't know Wyvern, do you?"

"No, I don't."

"He's our resident... schemer. He doesn't lack creativity, but for some reason every single scheme he comes up with goes horribly wrong for those involved. And now we're involved in his very latest."

"You're saying that we're going on a quest that's bound to go wrong?"

With a gloomy nod, Tanny confirms this. "Probably even worse than that."

"Great. I guess we'd better get this over with as quickly as possible then. What say you we start by checking out the things this Wyvern was so generous to give us and then, when we get to the orcs, we decide the best way to get rid of it all?"

"Seems good to me... and... Stephen..."

The slight change in her tone catches the ranger's attention, as she finishes, "Any Mage who thinks they're lowering themselves to go on a quest with you is a fool."

He hesitates a bit, knowing by her tone that she's not saying that out of pity or the need to reassure him. Not being really able to understand the subtle human emotions that come from others, he's slow to pick the undercurrent of respect. But once he senses it, he lets a small grin come.

"Still, I'm glad they didn't team me up with one. It shall be an honor to accompany you."

Later, when Tanny and Stephen arrive at the Treasury as instructed, they find an impatient Scarlot waiting for them next to a loaded cart.

"It's getting about time... I have other things to do than waiting for adventurers all day, you know! You'll find everything you need in the cart."

With these words, she picks the leaf from a branch hanging from a pair of tiny pegs and lets it fall to the floor. The moment the leaf touches the ground a portal opens, reaching from where the leaf has fallen to the branch.

When they don't move immediately, Scarlot snaps, "Go on, do I have to carry you through? As I said, I don't have all day."

One after the other, they go through the portal, Stephen pulling the cart. As soon as they get through, it closes behind them and they find themselves on a gently sloping hillside with not a trace of civilization to be seen anywhere near.

"Maybe Wyvern has put a map indicating where we can find these warring orcs somewhere in the cart," Tanny suggests with a sigh. And proceeds to ruin her hope by searching through the cart and finding none.

"He didn't," she groans. "How typical. Now, what do we do?"

Edited by Tanuchan
broken link

• 2 weeks later...

While Tanny is searching through the cart Stephen stands still to take in the sounds and smells of this new world. A soft breeze blows over the hills and carries with it the vague scent of beautiful flowers that almost masks the even vaguer scent of orcs and the trail of death that usually accompanies them. When she's done searching the cart and starts listening as well they both hear, very vaguely, the yelling and screaming that is so typical of a battle.

"It sounds like we won't need a map after all. Let's head that way, see if those are the tribes we're supposed to find."

Stephen agrees and they both set off into the wind, taking turns pulling the cart. After about half a day's travel, the sounds and smells of battle being a lot more obvious now, they stop near a small thicket.

As Tanny gathers wood for a small fire, Stephen vanishes into the bushes only to reemerge a little later with a few rabbits. Tanny watches as he skins them quickly and efficiently and not much later they're enjoying roasted rabbit.

After their dinner, they try to listen for the battle again, without success.

"Let me scout just a bit ahead, Stephen... "

Shimmering into her wolf form, Tanny pads silently through the trees. She revels in the subtlety of the mixed smells that come to her keen wolf senses, and her ears pick the small noises of the night animals that wake up for the night. After a few minutes of enjoying her surroundings, she starts sorting out the smells, noises, and eventually shadows, looking for signs of orcs.

An hour later, the black wolf stretches near the campfire, then shimmers back into her human form.

"They have stopped to rest, not too far from here. I didn't go so far as their encampment, but the smell and the noises are enough to locate them. Probably we should also stop for the night, so we can decide exactly how we're going to get rid of Wyvern's stuff."

Stephen also stretches, turning himself to the fire for its comforting warmth.

"Yes, we should. I think that when he was explaining what we were supposed to do he mentioned going on the battlefield to sell this drink of his. There has to be a better way because I, for one, am not planning on putting myself in between two fighting tribes."

Tanny leans back against a tree, her eyes half-closed. In spite of their relaxed appearance, both are ready to jump at the slightest unexpected sound.

"That's a good idea; I'm definitely in favour of that one. And maybe we could talk to the orcs separately? I mean, instead of putting ourselves between them, we just visit one of the tribes while they're not fighting?"

A thoughtful look crosses Stephen's face.

"Hmm. But what are we going to tell them? 'Hi gang, we've got something for you but we're not quite sure whether it'll kill you or make you stronger. Any volunteers to see whether we should give it to you or your enemies?' "

Soft laughter escapes Tanny's lips.

"No, that wouldn't do, would it? We should probably start with trying one tribe and talk to the Shaman, or the Elder, or whatever they call it. We could tell him that we have a drink that'll give his warriors incredible strength. After all, if they like it, a cool refreshing drink on a warm day does give one strength, and if they hate it ... orcs and revenge go rather well together, and the wish for revenge does tend to increase strength..."

Stephen nods.

"Good thinking. But how are we going to get close enough to talk?"

They both think about this for a few moments, the only sounds being the crackling of the fire and the wind softly blowing through the trees. The flames make the shadows around them dance in a way that Tanny finds rather comforting.

Stephen breaks the silence.

"I know. We'll carry our weapons where they won't be seen from a distance when we approach them and I'll exaggerate tapping the ground with my staff a bit. After all, what danger is there in a blind man and a woman, no offense?"

"Yes," Tanny muses, "but won't they see that as an invitation to just take it all away instead of paying for it?"

"No. I'll make sure to hit a few feet while tapping the ground to make it obvious that we're not ready to give in to their every whim, and we'll have our weapons handy where they can see them when we're close enough. That should give us enough time to tell them we want to talk."

"Yes, that could work."

They go on discussing how they should proceed, but slowly the strategic talk drift into a friendly conversation, and by the time they get ready to sleep they are both smiling and laughing at each other's stories.

"Should we set a watch, Stephen? It seems safe enough here, but it is another world, after all..."

"Agreed. And from what you say, it's not impossible that some orc scout ends up coming near us. Should I take first watch?"

Tanny senses the ranger bracing himself, guessing correctly that he had heard before some terse reply to that same question. The so-called jokes and puns he had had to endure the day after that still lingered in his memory.

"As you wish, Stephen." Then, careful not to be misunderstood, she continues, "I can also create a kind of shield around the perimeter... it won't stop an orc, but any living being that trespasses it will awake me immediately."

Sensing that she is not offering this out of fear that he won't be able to keep a proper watch Stephen accepts the offer.

"A shield, eh? I wonder, though ... do you not need to concentrate to maintain it?"

"No, that's not necessary. It is possible to weave the energies of the earth so that they'll sustain themselves. Sort of ... "

She hesitates, wondering how best to explain this.

"Instead of concentrating to keep it up you just tie it off so that it won't collapse."

"That sounds interesting ... one day you will have to teach me more of these energies, wolf-lady."

"I will be glad to do so."

Stephen senses in her voice the smile that lit her face, and stores for later thought how she also seems happy to have someone understanding and interested in her abilities.

Tanny closes her eyes and reaches for the earth, grounding and centering. Carefully, she weaves the flow of energy into a net-like pattern and set it around and above their camp. Nothing out of the extraordinary calls Stephen's attention when she's done, and she smiles to him.

"No chants, no crackling of energy, nothing fancy. Is that what you're thinking?"

He laughs softly. "I sense just nature. Nothing out of place... though I guess that if I were to try to get some information from earth right now, I would sense something different. Now, go to sleep. I'll wake you up for your watch."

Stephen senses a slight change near him, that he has learned to match to Tanny's shapechanging. A wet nose nudges him, and he nods.

"Yes, wolf senses and quicker reaction would be nice if something happens. Goodnight, wolf-lady."

Yawning, Tanny finds a hidden spot not far from the fire, and curls up to sleep - just a deeper shadow in the middle of the trees and rocks. Stephen, meanwhile, extinguishes the fire and sits down again to get used to the sounds of night. As he is listening, his thoughts wander a bit.

It is strange not to be doing something alone ... Maybe the loneliness was growing on me a bit and that's why I signed up even though I'd promised myself never again.

An apparently out of place sound interrupts Stephen's thoughts and immediately gets his full attention. Silently he gets up and moves to where the sound was, only to find a fox that was a bit curious about the strangers in its domain. With a slight smile Stephen goes back to his spot and sits down again after making sure nothing else is out of place.

She's different from the others, though ... probably because she isn't a human. Although I wonder whether she'd behave the same if we were in a group.

Probably so ... and if anything, I owe her at the very least the advantage of doubt. That, and the same respect she's been giving me. What I said was true - I am glad they teamed me up with her.

Edited by Venefyxatu

• 2 weeks later...

Grunts and growls make Captain Grashk sigh in exasperation, and he lashes both verbally and with his whip to put some appearance of order in the lower ranks of his raiding party.

"Worthless worms! Pick your breakfast and go back to your stations, scum!"

As the orcs hastily obey their commander, a scout crashes through the bushes. Captain Grashk's whip promptly curls around the legs of the scout, dropping him to the ground in a louder crash.

The smaller orc gulps as the shadow of the commander falls on him. "C-c-cap..."

"If you scout as silently as you come back to us, I'll have Bralak use you as an ingredient for his next potion! Now, what did you find out there that made this silent return necessary?"

"Humans, my Captain... two of them. One of them must be a mage because he carries a staff, and the other one must be his lackey. That one hardly fits in his cloak, you can see it bulking!", the scout finishes with a sort of scared chuckle.

Grashk immediately forgets the scout, who scurries away to get some food before his captain remembers to send him to some other mission. The orc captain, however, has his mind in other matters.

"Humans? Or some foul play from those cowardly Nargribs?" Muttering and swearing, he calls for some soldiers and post them behind the trees. Then, he plants himself in the middle of the narrow path his scout has made in his hasty retreat.

Tanny, carrying a jug of the Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™ on her back under her cloak, whispers to Stephen.

"About ten of them, ahead of us. I can see the toes or arms of most of them... "

Stephen nods, being specially careful about his banging around with his staff in a show of blindness. Under his breath, he comments, "And I can hear their breathing. With all the noise that scout made before and after seeing us, it's a wonder that those Orcs believe we're ready to be ambushed..."

As they pass by the first hidden orc, Stephen arcs his staff around him hitting a foot with enough strength to draw a startled yell of pain. He stops and asks loudly, "Who's there?"

"It seems we found the brave Orc warriors, Sir!" answers Tanny, also in a loud voice. "Their leader is ahead of us!"

"Good! He may be interested in our powerful magical restorative drink for his troops!"

Blinking in surprise, Grashk lets out a growl and signals the orcs to let them pass, muttering, "A blind man and a woman trying to hide a jug of water under her cloak! If I get my hands on that worthless scout..."

Stephen approaches slowly, swinging his staff this way and that, hitting calfs and shins with enough strength and frequency to clear a path around him. After a few bruises and sore feet the grumbling orcs actually start trying to avoid Stephen's staff. Tanny, keeping a light rapport with earth and ready to weave a spell, walks enough steps behind him to give them both space in case it comes to a fight.

Bowing, the Ranger greets the Captain. "Good morning, brave General." He taps the ground in front of him, apparently trying to be sure where the orc stands, and in the process hits Grashk's foot soundly.

Swallowing a surprised shout, Grashk considers just bashing the impudent human's head with his iron-gloved fist. However, the words 'powerful magical restorative' stay his hand, and he studies Stephen's face. On his face there's a clear contempt for a blind man, and so intent he is on Stephen and his staff, that he barely notices Tanny ready to take action if something goes wrong. Just to be sure, she makes a negligent movement with her hand and the glint of a sword and knives can be seen among the folds of her cloak.

The knives call the attention of Grashk, who finally puts away the idea of having easy preys in front of him. Tired of listening to the human's babbling, he shrugs and barks an order to one of the soldiers. Then, he turns again to Tanny and Stephen.

"Talk to our Shaman. He is the one who knows about restorative drinks. I'm just interested in their effects after Bralak blesses its use."

He then leaves with his soldiers, leaving just one of them to keep an eye on the humans while they wait for Bralak.

Bralak, meanwhile, is in a foul mood and not just because that's a normal state of mind for an orc. No, Bralak is starting to realize that if this war continues for much longer he will run out of gold! True, he'll have enough blood and bones to make potions and salves for the rest of his lifetime if it continues, but gold is essential for not only his potions but for his personal treasure as well.

"Shaman, Captain Grashk is here and says he has news."

The orc guarding Bralak's tent quickly withdraws his head as the shaman grunts irritably to show him in. With a "good-luck-you'll-need-it" wave of his hand the guard motions Grashk into the tent. The captain enters, hoping that he'll leave it with his shape intact and all his limbs still there.

"Well, Grashk?"

The Shaman had never needed many words to get the orcs to tell him everything they knew and still fear he'd think they were holding back on him. It never failed, not even with the powerful Captain Grashk.

"Shaman, we have captured two humans..."

Bralak interrupts him.

"Good, kill them and bring me their bodies. I was just in need of some human flesh to add to this potion." He gestures to a bubbling cauldron that emits such a foul smell that even Grashk can barely stand it. Gathering all his courage, he continues talking, even though it is obvious that Bralak wants to be rid of him.

"Shaman, you might wish to listen to what they have to say. They have a magic potion that could turn the war in our favor!"

"A potion? Then what are you waiting for, Grashk? Bring that as well!", the Shaman roars.

Just as Grashk is about to flee the tent the Shaman stops him, regaining control of himself.

"No, wait ... gather the entire tribe. I shall see them personally, then set an example on how we deal with humans. Tell me when you're ready!"

Thinking it wiser not to tell his Shaman that he didn't bring the humans to their camp Grashk bows and leaves, immediately sending some of his orcs to pick up the humans.

By the time they come back the entire tribe is gathered in an open space just next to the tents. Some of the orcs, the ones with bruised shins and sore feet, look at Stephen angrily. Some of the others quickly learn that they need to stay away from the blind man's tapping staff and the ones who learn the hard way add their angry glares to the lot.

When they stop in front of the Shaman, Stephen stops swinging his staff around. Sensing the Shaman's foul mood, he realizes that injuring the orc would do nothing to improve it.

"I believe I'm talking to the powerful and wise Shaman of the tribe?" asks Stephen in a mild voice.

"Tell me about the potion, human!"

Stephen signals Tanny, and she lowers the jug carefully to the ground. Having agreed that she is probably better with words than Stephen, she starts speaking.

"This is a rare potion, made with secret ingredients that came down from father to son until reaching the skilled one who mixed this sample, Shaman. It will refresh the one who drinks it, giving new strength and motivation to pursue its goal."

Stephen half-listens to Tanny, keeping his acute senses open to everything around them. He sighs inwardly, thinking she could have chosen any word other than "pursue".

"A single sip will prove surprising, and a whole glass will undoubtedly fill your body with such different sensations that you may not even believe they exist in this world."

Stephen lets his thoughts wander a bit. True.... the taste will be surprising and the sensations incredibly bad. No one would believe they could feel that bad after a lemonade...

"After a few moments, you will feel your body and mind suffused with energy and strength to achieve your goals, and you will stop at nothing until getting your heart's desire."

That will be, of course, finding a way to revenge yourself on whoever gave you the drink... but they don't need to know that. Now, did I hear some feet stealing away? Stephen frowns slightly, intent on locating the direction of the soft shuffling feet. What he doesn't see, but can sense, is a orc in the edge of the crowd leaving unobtrusively and heading to the forest, looking around warily as to be certain that he isn't being observed.

"So you see that what we offer..."

"You don't offer anything. Get that!" At a gesture from Bralak, three of the biggest warriors step towards Tanny and Stephen.

For the briefest of moments, Stephen is surprised in spite of both of them having suspected something like this. It doesn't take long though, and he does his best to try and keep up the act. Swinging around with his staff as if trying to feel what's happening, he yells to make himself heard over the growling and jeering orcs.

"Hey, what are you doing? That's not what we had in mind!

Some of the crawling plants that carpet the ground around them suddenly seem to be alive, reaching out with vines and stems that wrap themselves around the orcs' feet and ankles; dead branches fall from the trees, distracting most of the other warriors. The ones closest to Stephen, bruised as they are, are trying to use the confusion to get back at him but somehow his staff always seems to be making a sweep for them whenever they come too close. The water in the jug glows a brilliant baleful green for a moment.

Green? It shouldn't be green! The thought crosses Tanny's mind as she takes a moment from her manipulation of earth to throw two knives into one of the orcs, which stick with a nice precision on his throat and eye.

Stephen doesn't notice the green glow coming from the jug, but he does hear the orc dying.

"What's going on? What are you all doing??"

With some more "searching" sweeps he manages to keep the orcs away from him long enough to say what he hopes will restore some resemblance of order.

"If you kill us, you won't have more than that jug! But if we negotiate, you can have a life supply of the potion!"

Kneeling on the ground to avoid both Stephen's quarterstaff and the Orcs' axes, Tanny quickly weaves energy to form a shield around them when she notices some orcs grabbing javelins and bows. "You will never find the ingredients by yourself!", she adds as she sees the Shaman hesitating.

Bralak nods grudgingly, and stops the warriors. Grashk balefully stops trying to increase the confusion by giving some of the orcs contradictory commands, as it looks like the Shaman won't be screwing up just yet.

"You are pretty smart for a human sorcerer."

Stephen hears Tanny's sigh of relief, and lets himself relax just a little. He stands still again, more or less facing the Shaman as if he'd lost his position in the confusion.

"So, it seems we must negotiate." The malicious smile that spreads on the Shaman's face makes makes Tanny almost groan.

Grashk mutters in an unctuous voice, "Shaman, if you allow me to speak of these matters... we don't know if they're not here to poison us. The Nargribs..."

"Do you take me for an idiot like you, Grashk?"

The Shaman ignores the Captain's glare, intent on both humans. Tanny holds his searching gaze until he lets out a chuckle.

"Drink your potion and fight with Grashk."

Tanny blinks and pales slightly, while Grashk shouts some orkish curse at Bralak. The Shaman just smiles.

"If what you say is true, you can defeat Grashk. If you are lying, Grashk will have his wish and kill you."

"Shaman, there are some rituals that must be completed before drinking the Potion. If you excuse us for a moment..." Stephen pulls Tanny to the side and starts talking to her urgently in the language of wolves.

"We have never tried the Lemonoaid™! It could well kill us!"

"Well, we can choose between being killed by Wyvern's concoction or by the Orcs. Sincerely, I think that we have more chances with the Orcs... but we are honor-bound to at least try to sell that stuff!"

"You manipulate water energy... can you be sure that it at least isn't poisonous?"

Tanny remembers the unexpected greenish tint of the Lemonoaid™ during her previous channeling, and hesitates. Stephen's hand closes on her wrist, conveying strength and support.

"Yes... normally... yeah... " Tanny sighs. "I have no idea what else Wyv put in there, but... okay, you said there's a final ritual... I'll try to guarantee that it doesn't give me more than a... hangover."

"Not you. Me."

"Stephen!"

"What would be better to prove the efficiency of the potion, than make a blind man defeat the Orc captain?"

"Stephen, that's crazy! You can't possibly..."

Stephen's sudden release of her wrist makes Tanny swallow her words and breathe deeply.

"Sorry, Stephen... it's not what I really meant."

"It was. I know it. What are the chances of a blind man against an orc warrior?"

Tanny blushes deeply, biting her lower lip. Then, she rests her hand lightly on his arm. "I am sorry, Stephen. But isn't that what anyone would think? I've never seen you fight; I don't know your skills. I know that I may have a chance against the captain if Wyv's 'refreshment' doesn't bring me down first."

"If I remember well, you aren't skilled enough with a sword, and you can't prove our point through an archery combat. You fight as a wolf. I have seen wolves attacking, and even fought with them on occasion, and I know how deadly they can be even in single combat. But I don't think it wise to show them that you're a shapechanger, Wolf-Lady."

Tanny bites back a retort, something on Stephen making her think for several seconds before answering with just a sigh.

"So, may I take that as a sign that you agree?"

"I will kill Wyvern," mutters her angrily.

"Only if we survive long enough to get back to The Pen. Then I will gladly help you in this next mission." He grins in such a charming way that Tanny can't avoid a chuckle.

"Trust me, Wolf-Lady. And just make sure that the Lemonoaid™ doesn't kill me."

"I will. And I will also set a shield so that there are no surprises... like a 'stray' arrow. But I won't be able to hold it for long if we come under any heavy attack."

"I understand."

Some time later a small clearing is made, and Stephen and Grashk stand with their weapons ready. Tanny whispers, "Good luck, Stephen... it's not poisonous, and I think I got out all possible harm from it."

"I'll be happy enough with that."

Tanny sits down outside the fighting clearing, leaning her back against a group of trees and making certain that there's no orc near her and that her knives are at hand. She links herself to earth, letting its energy fill her, and waits.

Bralak hands Stephen a cup of Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™. Holding his breath, Stephen swallows the whole content in one gulp. There's an immediate sickening feeling that makes him gag and stagger, shivering. However, within seconds Stephen feels a gentle and refreshing touch that washes away the ghastly taste and memory of the 'miraculous potion'. He has the fleeting sensation of soft fur against him, and later he would learn that that was how his mind reacted to Tanny's healing touch.

He straightens and shifts his grip on his staff, holding it in both hands with the sharp end to his right. Concentrating, he can hear Grashk moving softly sidewards, giving his axe a few test swings before coming in for what he hopes will be a surprise attack.

Dodging at the last moment, Stephen makes a roll and raises his staff to block the orc's next swing. The wood of his staff crashes against the wooden shaft of Grashk's axe and before the orc has a chance to push through Stephen reverses his staff's motion, bringing it around for an overhead swing at the orc's skull. Grashk, having expected this to be a very brief fight, is too slow to dodge and gets a sound thump on the head. Bralak notices with interest that it doesn't sound as hollow as he'd always thought it would ...

The orc's skull is thick, though, and he comes at Stephen again, a little more careful this time.

They continue in this way for a little while, Stephen dodging and deflecting blows and getting in a few hits at Grashk, realizing that the distrustful orcs will suspect trickery if the fight is over too quickly. However, once he is almost too late to dodge the swinging axe, he decides to put an end to it. With a loud battlecry, as if the potion finally took effect, Stephen rains a rapid succession of blows onto Grashk, who doesn't know where to block first. Stephen's staff moves in a blur, hitting the orc just about everywhere, including a few veru painful spots. When he falls to the ground, Stephen puts the sharp end of his staff on Grashk's chest, drily stating, "I won."

Bralak ignores Grashk's furious glares and grunts as he comes forward to confirm it. The rest of the tribe watches in amazed silence as their defeated Captain leaves the battlefield, shooting angry glares over his shoulder. He stalks past Tanny, who gets up with a relieved sigh, and goes back to his tent.

"You have fought well, human," Bralak says. "This potion truly is powerful! I will offer you ... five gold pieces for this jug, and another four for every other jug you can bring to my tribe!"

Stephen shakes his head.

"Twenty for this one, at least, and for every next jug as well."

Bralak grunts. "You drive a hard bargain, human... twenty is a lot more than I can afford, with the battle having drained m... the tribes' gold. Let us go back to my tent to discuss this."

Together with Tanny they enter the Shaman's tent. By the time they emerge again, carrying a pouch with fewer gold coins than they'd hoped for but more than Bralak wanted, it is almost dark. Avoiding Bralak's offer to spend the night in the orc encampment by stating that they have other business they manage to leave the camp. But it isn't until they have put quite some distance between it and them that they stop for the night...

"Defeated by a human, and a blind one at that! Hah!"

Grashk paces, or rather limps, up and down in his tent, muttering to himself in outrage. One plan after another forms in his mind to doom the humans but he discards all of them as too complicated or taking too much time. Suddenly he raises his head, a wicked grin spreading across his face.

"Yess... " he whispers.

An orc comes running through the darkness, panting the password to the guard's query. He barely slows down, dashing to his Shaman's tent with what seems to be his last strength after the long run.

"Shaman! News ... the Grushkahns ... magic potion... humans ... selling ... strength ... "

In spite of the fact that he is barely coherent, the Nargrib Shaman lets the orc enter his tent, calmly listening and trying to make sense of his breathless babblings.

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as they're far enough from the Grushkahn tribe Tanny and Stephen decide to stop and get some rest: the negotiations with Shaman Bralak have been long and hard and the fight with Grashk didn't exactly leave Stephen fresh to begin with. Being two nature persons it is no surprise that they don't have much trouble finding a good spot between the trees where, should the Grushkahns decide to come after them, they won't be spotted easily.

After a silent dinner, which they both use to think about the deal they have just made with Bralak, Tanny speaks up. "I didn't get to tell you yet, Stephen, but you dealt with Grashk in a really good way."

Stephen, his eyes fixed on a point in the distance he'll never see, calmly lights a cigarette.

"Better than you'd expected, Wolf-Lady?"

Tanny flinches, whispering a somewhat hurt 'yes'. Stephen notices the change in tone, but can't quite grasp the reason and remains in silence. Tanny sees his slight questioning frown, and in a second reminds herself of her partner's confessed lack of ability with words.

Feel him like a wolf would, not with your human mind, silly... With that thought, she lets go of her discomfort and continues, "You know, most people start calling me Tanny after a while. And specially people who partner with me in a mission for Wyvern."

Stephen answers her with a grin. "Very well ... Tanny."

His grin brings another one from Tanny, and she goes back to their mission. "Now, what's the strategy for the Nargribs?"

"Shall we try the same approach?"

"Yes, that could work... unless they already know that we sold one jug to the Grushkahns."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if I were at war, I would probably scry or spy on my enemies to see what they were planning. If I'd seen some people in the enemy's camp they came to my camp ..."

For a moment Stephen sits totally still as something in his mind starts yelling, kicking and screaming to get his attention. When it finally does, he remembers noticing someone leaving the crowd while Tanny was trying to sell the orcs the Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid and interrupts her.

"So that's what it was... Tanny, while you were telling them about the strength they'd gain from the Lemonoaid, did you notice someone leaving?"

Tanny thinks for a few moments before answering.

"No, I don't think so. Why do you ask?"

"Because I think I did, and now that you mention spying ..."

" ... you think the Nargrib had a spy and that he left to tell his tribe about the Lemonoaid?"

Stephen blows out a mouthfull of smoke, which drifts away on the wind without going past Tanny. She feels her nose twitching, and forces back an incoming sneeze.

"Yes, that's probably what it was. So if they see us coming, they'll either shoot us as Grushkahn allies, or welcome us to get their hands on the Lemonoaid as well. That's a risk we'll ... no, we won't have to take it."

With a broad grin, he continues, "Say, how good are you as a spy?"

She takes a moment to answer, surprised and at the same time wondering why she hasn't thought about that herself.

"Pretty good... specially as either wolf or tanuki..."

"A wolf would call less attention. They're part of the forest."

"A tanuki is smaller and I can use illusions... but you're right, if they saw me they'd wonder." She pauses, then nods, "Yes, I can go pretty near their camp, and as a wolf I have keener hearing and sight. If I start while it's still dark, I can probably find some hidden spot from which to observe. And depending on where they are... a tanuki can hide between the branches of a tree." Her eyes twinkle in mischief, betraying the pleasure she starts to feel towards her spying task.

"But be careful. They can shoot you on sight. And even the stupidest orc has enough training to run back to their leader in case there's something amiss, specially in the middle of a war."

"Hm... Stephen... how old are you?"

The unexpected question catches Stephen off his guard and for a few moments he doesn't answer. When he does answer, it's obvious from his voice that he wonders where that question came from all of a sudden.

"I'm 34."

"Well, I'm 102."

Tanny actually laughs at Stephen's stunned expression, "We have a long life spam, Stephen... I'm still young by our standards, but even so I've been in the wild for about 30 years... since I came of age."

"You come of age at 70? How long do you live?"

"Five hundred, in average... the oldest of my Clan was 487 last I saw him, and the oldest ever died at 540."

"Oh... thirty years in the wild?"

Although the memories of her clan aren't pleasant, Tanny can't avoid a smile at Stephen's wondering voice. "Well, about that since I left the Clan. But I had to learn from experience, and I had never been far Outside before. The things I knew, I had learned from short and secret forays... you see, the Outside was forbidden to any of us. The Elders of the Clan considered it too dangerous, and it was deemed wiser for us to close ourselves in our hidden lands."

"But you left..."

"And for that I was branded a Rebel and Banned."

There's no mistake in the bitterness of her voice, and even Tanny wonders how it can hurt after so long.

The one who goes against the group, the odd one out, the outcast... cruel towards the outcast, but for the better of the group. They really are a lot closer to nature than us humans.

The thought flashes briefly through Stephen's mind before he replies.

"You say that as if you still regret it, but you probably don't need me to tell you that your Elders did what they thought was best for the Clan."

"No, I don't... it still hurts, but not as deep nor as often as before. Anyway, I can never go back to Shadowmere by the Edict of the Elders. I am happier being Outside, and in many ways I'm wiser also." She smiles slightly, "So, although I'm a youngster, I do think I have gone through enough to teach me to be careful in what I do. "

Stephen suddenly chuckles softly.

"I would hope so - it sounds like you have more experience than I do and I like to think the same thing about myself. If anyone can spy on these orcs without them noticing it's you.

A grin slowly spreads across Tanny's face as they discuss exactly how they're going to approach the orcs - if they don't turn out to be too hostile.

As Stephen lights his second cigarette for the evening, Tanny can't help but ask, "I've been wondering ... a smoking ranger?"

"Yes ... the fumes clear my nose."

Unable to bite back a surprised burst of laughter, Tanny explains, "Most people would say exactly the opposite."

Stephen smiles slightly and blows out another cloud of smoke.

"But most people smoke ordinary tobacco. I started smoking to stay warm on cold nights, but I didn't like the taste so I tried some other plants. After some ... uh ... strange experiences I finally found out that Queensleaves taste rather good and don't have the funny side effects."

"Strange experiences?"

"I'm not good at stories, but ... it was a cold night, and I was camping amidst some big stones near a village so the wind wouldn't get at me so easily. A few days before I'd found a plant with a rather strong and sweet smell and it was dry enough by then to try it out. At first not much happened, only I started becoming more and more tired, my vision blurring as if I was falling asleep with my eyes open and suddenly I saw this ... monster leap out at me. By the time I'd struggled to my feet it was gone but I heard something behind me. For some reason I turned around and charged without bothering to look or think, and maybe that's a good thing. When I came to, I discovered that I'd knocked myself out by running into one of the stones. I've been calling that plant Smoker's Bane for so long now I forgot its real name."

Tanny's chuckle had turned into open laughter by the end of the tale, and she tries hard to stifle her trailing giglees. "I'm... sorry... Stephen... but... " There's one more fit of giggling, and then she seems to regain control over herself. "Sorry. But the image of you running into a stone..." she smiles apologetically.

"Yes, I know. I myself find it hard not to laught at it... "

"Well, it should teach you about experimenting with plants you don't know... or about smoking in general." She coughs to conceal yet another stray giggling, and the final effect is a choking sound that tells Stephen that she is truly amused by his tale.

She was right ... he had been more careful with unknown plants after that time and as soon as he'd discovered the Queensleaves he'd stopped experimenting altogether. He didn't intend to give up smoking any time soon, though.

By the time Tanny has recovered Stephen also has a smile playing around his lips and his voice has taken on an amused tone.

"Oh really? It keeps me warm on cold nights, though, and it really does keep my nose clear. And don't you like the smell?"

With an alost uncanny accuracy Stephen blows another cloud of smoke towards Tanny's nose which causes her to sneeze several times. She tries to speak a few times, but every time the smoke, which seems to be drifting in her direction now, catches her nose and she starts sneezing again.

Keeping his face as straight as he can, Stephen observes, "It's not really doing much for you, is it?"

Laughing after another sneeze, wiping tears, Tanny begs Stephen, "Oh please... whatever you do... just don't let it hit my nose again!"

Stephen chuckles, "I'll take that as a no."

They continue chatting and laughing for some time before they go to sleep.

At that same time, in the Grushkahn's encampment there is some grumbling.

"Berlon, Grashk wants to see you and from the sound of it you'd better not keep him waiting."

The young orc hurries over to his captain's tent, worried, but leaves it quietly a little later. Known as the stealthiest orc in the tribe (he doesn't make more noise than a single orc when he tries to be quiet, as opposed to the others who all make at least enough noise for five orcs), Berlon knows he'll have no problems doing what his Captain has ordered him to - especially not with the reward he'll get afterwards.

After an uneventful night, and a companionable breakfast, Tanny decides it's time for her to head towards the Nargribs. Promising to take care and to be back before the sun is too high, she shimmers into her wolf form, shaking herself and stretching lustily - clearly enjoying the change.

Stephen observes as the silent black wolf leaves their small camp, and settles down for some investigation of his own. Standing with his feet somewhat apart, he puts his staff firmly on the ground and starts concentrating. He can feel the wood of the staff, the exact point where it touches the earth, the earth ... He learned long ago to put limits on this sense because if he doesn't the sheer enormity of the earth could easily kill him.

Slowly he extends his sense, feeling the earth around his feet, the trees, shrubs, flowers near him. He can feel a few rabbits in their holes and a worm being plucked out of the ground, probably by a bird. Further he extends his sense, eventually feeling a familiar wolf ... Tanny is heading towards the camp of the Nargribs. As he becomes used to the feeling again, he decides to do what he intended to in the first place.

Instead of reaching out all around him, he focuses his sense in the direction of the Grushkahn camp, knowing that it'll reach much further in only one direction, and wanting to make sure that they aren't being ... pursued. With some relief he determines that this isn't the case. He's about to stop feeling around when he notices something different. A smallish group of orcs is heading out of the camp, not on their trail but ... towards the Nargrib tribe?

With a frown he lets go of his connection to the earth and sits thinking for quite some time.

Meanwhile, Tanny approaches the Nargrib's encampment keeping to the shadows of the big trees, the sun still low enough to give her good cover. As the early birds chirp and call good morning to each other, and some squirrels look warily at the wolf sneaking below their comfortable branches, a not so distant clamor tells Tanny that the orcs are already up and having breakfast.

"Get up, you lazy son-of-a-pig!"

"Stew for breakfast again? This stinks!"

"Give me that!"

"On your eyes, swine!"

Tanny's ears twitch, and if a wolf could frown, she would be frowning.

Oh my poor ears... I wish I could turn down the volume of those cries...

She sighs silently as the smell hits her nose, and quickly finds a shadowed spot under the large leaves of a strange shrub. Linking to earth, she sends a small tendril of energy so that the leaves hang lower over and around her, hiding her completely from view.

"Taresh! Where is that worthless scout?"

"Here, my captain!" A young orc comes at once, and the captain nods. "We had another report. The humans sold the Grushkans some beverage, and the blind one defeated their captain in a fight."

"Grashk? You call that a captain? He would lose a fight against a tree. No brains!" Grunting, captain Shibak paces for a few moments. "And where are the humans now?"

"They left the Grushkahns and are somewhere in the forest."

Shibak stops, glaring in silence as the scout stammers, "W-we c-couldn't follow t-them..."

An iron fist silences him, knocking him senseles. "Fool," grumbles Shibak, stepping over Taresh and shouting for someone else.

While the captain gives some orders, a female orc comes from one of the central, bit tents. Her clothes show that she is the shaman of the tribe, and Tanny observes in surprise, never having seen a female shaman among orcs. In a deep, rasping, and sharp voice, she snaps at Shibak.

"Stop shouting, Shibak! You have just upset Zadoor, and how am I to take her poison this morning with her hissing at shadows? Maybe I should make you do it today."

Shibak shudders at the thought of the Shaman's pet snake - a small pit viper, not yet 3 meters long - and is quick to apologize. Kahr nods, and continues, "Now, what about that potion the Grushkahns got?"

"Seems to work. Grashk was defeated by a blind human under its effects."

"Hmm... I must get at least some of that, Shibak. We must not let the Grushkahn's have such advantage over us. Find the humans. Get the potion. Kill them or buy from them, I don't care. But get the potion."

While Shibak grunts and leaves the shaman to her poison-drawing activities, another shaman is having trouble of his own not very far.

"GRAAAAAAAASSSHKKKK!!!"

Bralak's yell wakes up the entire camp, and makes the terrified orc who brought him the news wish that Bralak were anywhere that is not on this planet. The Captain quickly hurries over to the Shaman's tent, steeling himself for what is to come.

"Grashk! You incompetent slack-jawed rotten pig! I would use your blood in one of my potions if I didn't know for sure it would spoil the potion!

Pointing at the trembling messenger, Grashk continues yelling.

"You! Tell him what you told me!"

The messenger, by now wishing that he were anywhere that is not on this planet, stutters that he discovered the jug of Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid to be missing this morning. With a performance that could've won him several Oscars, Grashk keeps his face straight while pretending that he didn't already know this.

"The humans, they must've taken it back! No doubt they'll try the same thing with those worm-like Nargribs."

They both sit thinking in silence for a few moments, Bralak fuming because someone managed to cheat harder than him, Grashk pretending to be thinking.

"Let me take a party and go to the Nargribs," says Grashk after some time. "If I interrupt the humans' sale and tell the Nargribs all about them, they might be willing to join up with us to destroy the humans. Meanwhile, you will lead the rest of the tribe close enough to attack but not close enough to be seen, so that while we're fighting the humans you can crush the Nargribs from behind. Because me and my party will be among the Nargribs, I'll get a good strike at their Shaman as well."

Although he's very careful not to mention that if things go wrong, the Nargribs will kill him (Grashk knows that this is the kind of thing the Shaman will come up with himself), he realizes that maybe he explained it all a bit too fast. Bralak doesn't notice it, though.

"Hmm ... I hate to admit this, but you might've said something useful today. And if not, at least it'll be the last plan of yours that'll ever go wrong."

As he leaves Bralak's tent, Grashk is almost rubbing his hands together in glee - Bralak has fallen for his plan and with some luck he'll destroy both the humans and get rid of Bralak in one single battle.

Of course he never even considered for a single moment to eliminate the Nargribs. No, he'll tell their Shaman that the plan that he, Grashk, devised was made up by Bralak, but that he doesn't want to kill such a mighty Shaman. With the Nargribs' help, he might be able to get rid of Bralak and, in exchange for his help and the promise not to attack anymore this year, become the leader of the tribe. He might even marry Ngaria, the hot Nargrib girl he'd met a few summers ago. That would definitely stop the Nargribs from attacking his tribe.

The future has never looked so good...

• 2 weeks later...

As Grashk schemes and Tanuchan spies on the plane of Gaia, a different kind of mischief transpires in the calm quarters of the Pen, accentuated by the screeching of furniture across Cabaret floors and the occasional almost dragonic cackle. Wyvern leans back on the Mighty Pen couch and relaxes as Bravery the Elder Dwarf struggles with a cardboard cut out figure, shoving it flatly against a wall next to a colorfully decorated sales booth and frowning upon seeing it. The mascot presents a cartoonish rendition of Stephen Hascodem, five cigarettes crammed into his enormous grinning mouth and a cool glass of Lemonoaid in his right hand. On the other end of the booth stands a Tanuchan mascot, similarly cartoonish, her hair exploding in all directions and a cup of Lemonoaid in each enthusiastic paw.

"Still don't approve of your taste, Wyv." Bravery shakes his head and snorts, waving a hand to each of the cardboard figures and then the table. "Isn't this a little... disrespectul?"

Wyvern perks his head up and lets out a low hiss, raising himself from the couch and causing a tiny tear in its fabric with his stinger. He wanders up to the booth and seats himself behind it, rummaging through a few sacks that rest underneath it.

"Disrespectful?!" The lizard places a large pitcher of Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™ onto the table. "You've got a lot to learn, Bravery. If Ssstephen and Tanuchan were chosen for the mission, it's because they're known emissaries of the Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™ cause. I'm sure they'll be honored to endorse it here at the Pen in spirit."

"O.K." Bravery sighs and hesitates, pointing at an open book that rests on the left end of the table. "But is the whole gambling bit necessary? I mean, if they're emissaries like you say, why offer the possibility of book-"

"The Pen should have every right to place bets on whoever they please." The greedy lizard sneers, placing a small box of Almost Dragonic Brand Stephen Hascodem Queensleave Smoke Wraps™ next to a leaning pile of paper cups. "Gurrghur, Forsmach, whatever... it all brings in the same lovely geld. Haven't you been to Pen parties lately? Danger is IN! The whole orc thing just makes this product more appealing, you'll see."

"Yeeeah..." Bravery lets his eyes trail to the ceiling. "But come on Wyv - a Tanuchan beauty program for those ages eighty and up? How are you going to explain that one to her when she gets back?"

"Like I said - an honor!" The lizard grins broadly, placing what appear to be several lumps of congealed fur onto the table. "Speaking of Ms. Tanuchan, what do you think of these makeshift Almost Dragonic Brand Tanuchan Gaia Spy Action Figures™? Cuddly for the kids, and 100% natural... I just took a couple of Cambronne's leftover hairballs and-"

"I've heard enough" says Bravery in a flat voice, shaking his head and turning from the booth. "Done with my duty, so I'll leave you to your little 'revival campaign.'"

"Hey!" cries Wyvern, shaking a fist after the Elder Dwarf. "You have to admit that Almost Dragonic Brand Stephen Hascodem Blind Men Canes™ were a good idea! As was the Tanuchan Limb Puzzle™! Watch, this is gonna be huge!"

;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Tanny, on her way back to the clearing where they've camped, stops short as she glimpses a hint of metal gleaming in the sunlight that filters through the treetops. A head appears in the middle of the foliage, and she darts into the shadows.

"A wolf!"

"I saw it, dumbhead. Be quiet!" Grashk growls, irritated, while his eyes scan the spot where he saw the wolf disappear.

And it seemed a fine wolf also... Ngaria would love me more for a good riding beast like that...

Tanny keeps still, cursing the vines and underbrush that hamper a quick and silent retreat; without losing sight of the small band of orcs, she considers her options, soon recalling the inconvenient rocky wall that had made her come this way to start with. Accordingly, the tip of her tail brushes across scattered rocks behind her.

I would hope they aren't interested in a wolf, as they're clearly in some sort of mission... but it seems that Grashk has other plans... She stifles an annoyed sigh, not liking at all Grashk's sudden grin.

"Darreb, Hobrat!" Grashk hisses, finding at last the deeper shadow that marks Tanny's location. "Circle and use the nets. I want that wolf alive. Don't hurt it!"

Tanny blinks, twitching her ears to follow the two quite noisy orcs.

Net? Trap me? Nossir, no way, sir!

Flashing her fangs in a deep growl, she sidesteps and jumps over a fallen boulder as soon as the noises tell her that the orcs are near enough. Darreb and Hobrat find themselves enmeshed in each other's nets, as another Orc throws a javelin towards Tanny. She jumps down, a telltale "thud" and shouting telling her that Grashk has used his iron-clad fist on the orc.

"It's a beautiful black one to ride... alive, I want it ALIVE!"

"But Captain... it's not big enough for riding..."

"Shut up and catch it!" Grashk yells and shouts directions, keeping his eyes on Tanny as she jumps from rock to rock then to the ground, trying to evade them. He mutters, appreciating her suppleness, "If it's too weak... well, Ngaria will find a squashed wolf also gives beautiful fur. She'll love it. She may even agree to give me a special night..."

While Grashk dreams of wolves for his beloved, Stephen takes some time to think about the band of orcs leaving the Grushkahn tribe. His conclusion doesn't please him at all and, hoping to prove himself wrong, he reaches out into the earth again, sensing in the direction from where Tanny should be coming back by now.

It doesn't take long for him to find Tanny, but there's something else near her...

Orcs!

Stephen can sense their filthy touch on the ground, and also that they're drawing closer to Tanny, too close in fact. She probably had a reason for not running or fighting (yet?), but he doesn't want to take any risks. Quickly making sure he'll be able to find his way to their location, the ranger breaks his connection with the earth and starts packing. Several years of living outdoors have given Stephen enough experience to quickly wrap up a camp, and only moments later he is ready to leave.

Trying to evade the orcs, Tanny tries to slip through the trees. However, a tricky tangle of vines catches her hind left paw, and she sees the orcs closing in on her with more nets and yells of triumph.

Drat... sorry, Stephen...

The yells turn into gasps of surprise as the nets fails to catch a wolf who seemed to shimmer out of focus and disappear. An uncanny silence falls among them as they stare at each other, then at their captain.

Grashk blinks, his mind racing to a conclusion. Sorcery... a Nargrib trick? Are they betraying us? Or...

Mutters start to replace the silence but Grashk ignores it as he narrows his eyes, focusing in the one thing he is sure he saw when the nets were thrown.

"Got smaller and faded out..." He repeats that over and over, then looks at the tangled nets over a bush. "Sorcery, yes... human sorcery... they are trying to trick us. How convenient..." Grashk grins, almost rubbing his hands in glee.

Keeping very still, almost not daring to breath, Tanny keeps her illusion over her small tanuki-shape as her mind frantically urges the orcs to go away.

Come on... get your nets and leave... your wolf has run away...

As the minutes pass, the expected hint of weariness tells Tanny that she doesn't have much time. Forcing herself to analyse her strength carefully, she decides to risk a bit more. Reaching delicately to earth, as to not unbalance the flow of illusion, she soon finds what she's looking for. A thread-like tangle of thin roots, spreading from the grass-like underbrush some feet away, serves to channel the energy. A rustle of leaves is heard not far away, and the orcs shout and point.

"Get the nets! Let's go before someone finds us!"

As the shouts retreat into distance, a tanuki is seen among the bushes the nets had entangled. Tanny rushes into deeper shadows before collapsing, breathing heavily.

My head... this will give me a hangover worse than Stephen's over the Lemonoaid™...

Stephen moves silently, and as quickly as he can, to the location where he last sensed Tanny. Suddenly, something hits his legs and he half sweeps his staff around, aiming low at the small creature. A startled squeak stops him, and something makes him realize it's Tanny - just not in one of the two shapes he knows.

Hmm ... I never realized that someone's aura would change so little if they shapeshift.

Even as the thought flashes through his mind, the tanuki staggers into Stephen's legs again, almost using him for support and so surprising him. Always aware of his surroundings, he makes an extra effort to make sure that there's no danger close by, and by the time he turns his attention to Tanny, she has taken back her human form. Her voice is strained, and he frowns as she swears hoarsely.

"Curse all the orcs and scheming lizards in all planes above and under!"

"Tanny! What happened, are you alright? I didn't know it was so bad you had to use your Tanuki shape, or I would've come faster."

"I had no choice... it was either this, or they would have caught me as a wolf."

So there was a reason why she wasn't running away yet ... the right moment. He sits down at her side. "It's good that you got away then - it's bad for an ordinary wolf to be captured by orcs, but it would've been much worse for you. Did they ... did they see you as a tanuki?"

"I'm not sure whether they saw it or not." Tanny grimaces and groans softly, massaging her temples. "I went into tanuki form and casted an invisibility illusion... but it would be seen as sorcery in any way, as their wolf just vanished."

Stephen catches Tanny's hand, and his fingers are surprisingly light and efficient when they take over the massage.

"They didn't hit you." He says that as a fact - if they had hit her, a headache would've been last on her list of worries. "What's wrong?"

She sighs, starting to relax while explaining, "My illusion spells are different from what a true mage does... they draw on my own energy. I can't keep them for long... straining it gives me a kind of backlash reaction. A hangover, if you want."

"And on top of it, channeling energy isn't a good idea, is it?"

Tanny blinks, surprised. Stephen grins at the silence, interpreting it correctly.

"I found out that a band of orcs was leaving the Grushkahn camp, headed for the Nargribs. So when I reached out to see if you were still safe I felt you touching the earth. But if they saw you it's probably best if we don't delay too much anymore."

"True - and I think that the Nargribs might even be expecting us ... at least I could hear them shouting about getting some of our "potion" as well."

Stephen grins, "Good. Then we should be able to approach them, sell the second jug and get back to the Pen. Maybe this isn't going to be a disaster after all."

While Tanny rests a bit, Stephen kneels down next to one of the trees, moving slowly and deliberately. Letting the leaves of several small plants go through his fingers, he uses both smell and touch as well as knowledge to try and identify some herbs that might help Tanny recover. He remembers smoking something once that made him feel as though he'd slept three days straight. It wouldn't be as strong if she drank it, but it would be strong enough.

After gathering some of the leaves, he makes a small fire and brews them into a tea.

"Before you drink this ... promise me you'll sleep next time we camp no matter how awake you feel. It restores your energy for about a day, but after that you're completely drained even though you don't feel it."

After drinking, Tanny falls asleep almost immediately. Knowing that it won't last very long, Stephen sits quietly, his senses intent on his surroundings, wanting to detect the slightest hint of danger should any be near. Not much later, a soft hand touches his shoulder.

"Thanks, Stephen... it worked... I guess we should get going?"

As they walk to the Nargrib camp, both Tanny and Stephen stay on their guard for wandering orc bands, both wondering what Grashk is doing here, so close to the camp. Is he performing hit-and-run attacks on the Nargribs? It's not something they find out, because they arrive at the Nargrib camp without further events.

"Haaaaalt! This is an orc camp! No humans allo ..."

The orc suddenly stops shouting and looks at Tanny and Stephen more closely. His voice becomes sweeter than something that might've been honey once, and he gets a grin on his face that's so fake it looks painted on.

"Ahhh, you're those humans ... do come in, Shaman Kahr is expecting you."

Trying not to frown, they enter the camp, followed by a shout from the guard, "Durrghan, escort our guests to the Shaman!"

A young orc quickly runs up to them and asks them to follow him, which they do. He stops in front of a tent and enters, and a few grunts later they're allowed to come in.

"Welcome, brave adventurers. I have heard ... interesting things about you, and especially about the potion you carry."

"Well, as a matter of fact ...", Tanny begins, but she is interrupted by Kahr.

"One of the things I have heard is that you have sold this potion to the Grushkahn tribe already. One of the things I am convinced of is that you have more of this potion, and that you were heading for my camp, is this not so?"

"You are obviously well-informed, Shaman. The reason is that we are merely trying to sell the potion, not trying to influence the w..."

"And now you wish to sell your potion to my tribe?"

There's a hint of poison in Kahr's oily voice, and she appears to think for a few moments before continuing, "Very well. But you must convince my warriors that they need it. The gold of the tribe is not my gold only, it belongs to the tribe. If the tribe wants the potion, then the potion is bought."

With these words, Shaman Kahr leads them out of her tent and to the center of the encampment, where she has the entire tribe gathered in less time than it takes to convince yourself to take a sip of the Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™. Tanny looks over the crowd for a few moments before starting off, deciding that a long speech will be wasted on the Orcs.

"WARRIORS!! You look mighty, but still you haven't destroyed your enemies, the Grushkahns!"

Some of the Orcs grumble, about it being only a matter of time, about being able to crush the foul Grushkahns whenever they want to, but Tanny continues.

"And now, the Grushkahns have a magic potion! But today is your lucky day, because we offer you this very same potion, to take away any advantage the Grushkahns might get over you! One sip of the Almost Dragonic Brand ..."

A pathetic wail comes from an orc somewhere in the middle of the crowd when she pronounces the name. It's quickly silenced, however, by the other, more interested Orcs. Tanny makes a point of glaring at the direction of the wail before going on.

"As I was saying, one sip of the Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid™, and your strength, courage and determination will be doubled if not tripled!"

Some commotion from the edge of the camp can be heard, but Tanny is determined not to be interrupted again and does her best to ignore it and keep on. "None of you have been able to kill Captain Grashk on the field of battle, yet Stephen, after drinking the potion, easily defeated him in single combat."

In spite of her determination, she is interrupted once again, this time by a voice that sounds familiar, and not only because all Orcs seem to have similar voics. Grashk pushes his way through the crowd, evoking angry yells from the Nargribs, but almost as if by miracle they leave him alone.

"Don't listen to these imposters! What are the chances of a blind man defeating a mighty Orc Captain?"

There is some laughter and mocking howling at Grashk describing himself as mighty, but he continues. "I'll tell you what the chances are! Very big if that blind man and his companion are sorcerors, using their gifts to cheat Orc tribes out of their money! Don't think I didn't see that potion glowing green after your so-called secret ritual!"

Although most of the Nargribs are still jeering and laughing, some mutters start spreading; Stephen can listen some of the words that come again and again.

"Human... against an orc... impossible..."

"Blind... Grashk is a strong orc, even if stupid... "

"Trickery... even Grashk isn't that fool..."

Tanny also picks the whispers and grumblings, and looks around to be sure she has space for moving if it comes to the worst. However, the orcs press nearer, and the mood of the crowd suddenly swings to Grashk's favour, in spite of him being a Grushkahn. After all, Ngaria liked him, and if they were honest he was a good Captain...

Tanny's breath catches, and she steps back until she's beside Stephen. Both gulp as the now angry orcs reach for their weapons, and Stephen can sense the orcs coming closer and closer. He whispers to Tanny, "What was our plan B again?"

"It depended on there being a clear path through the orcs, so it's out of the question. I suggest we use plan C."

Stephen whispers a bit faster. "No, we can't... plan C depended on us being alone with the Shaman. Did we actually have a plan D?"

"If you go on a mission for Wyvern, you make contingency plans until at least K ... plan D will work, though," hisses Tanny, quickly going over it in her mind.

• 1 month later...

With a quick nod to herself Tanny produces the bag of gold they had got from Bralak and shakes it slightly, the heavy clang of gold (combined with some metal to make the bag look heavier, although none of the orcs know this) stopping the orcs in their tracks for a moment. Even Stephen can sense the greed radiating off of them as they all look at the bag, thinking how much they'd like to possess that. It doesn't last long, however, as Grashk yells.

"That is the gold they took from Bralak in exchange for their worthless potion! They would've done the same to you!"

The Nargribs grumble at the thought of these two tricking them out of their gold and start pressing closer again, weapons swinging and ready to kill. Just as Tanny starts executing plan D by tossing the bag of gold coins into the crowd over the heads of some amazed orcs, the heavy thunder of an orc army becomes audible. Stephen hisses a warning at Tanny, and she blinks on feeling the trundling feet through her link to earth.

"What the..."

There's a big commotion in the center of the Nargrib crowd as they start to grab at and fight for the gold, all of them wanting some of it, their grunts and cries neatly drowning any chance of hearing the approaching army. The ones closest to Tanny and Stephen, who can't reach the gold anyway, are too busy attacking to pay attention to anything besides their prey, so only the ones at the edge of the crowd actually notice the thundering noise. When they look up, they notice a Grushkahn army that's closer to them than they like, with Bralak marching at the front. They gulp and form defensive lines, frantically yelling for the other Nargribs to join them and forget about the humans.

The confusion is absolute: Tanny is using her knives for all she's worth, Stephen is dodging axe and club blows while knocking the orcs that come too close back with his staff, and several of the orcs are fighting among themselves to get their hands on the gold. Kahr is starting to work her magic and Bralak is doing exactly the same to protect his army. To add to all this, the Grushkahns charge with a mighty battle cry.

"Stephen!"

Hearing Tanny's voice to his left, Stephen starts fighting his way in her direction, knowing that she'll be working her way to the forest. Just as he knocks one of the orcs down, he hears a knife whirling past his ear and striking an orc, thus preventing it from hitting him. Turning quickly, Stephen snatches the knife back before the orc even starts to fall and slips it into his belt so he can return it later.

Having found a second's respite, Tanny shimmers into her tanuki form adding to the confusion, as several orcs start crying "Sorcerer! Sorcerer, kill the sorcerer!" and the ones to the back, not having seen the transformation, turn to one side and the other looking for the unknown sorcerer. The small figure of the tanuki darts between the legs of the orcs, expertly avoiding the stamping feet, surprising those still looking for humans or sorcerers.

Making a circle and seeing that Stephen has managed to clear a circle around him and his edging his way toward the forest, Tanny jumps onto the leg of the nearest orc, who yelps and reaches a hand out. She quickly jumps into the next orc's waistband and scrambles up his back as a fist hammers into the spot she has just left at the orcs' back.

"Stupid pig!" Roars the owner of the back, swinging his sword against his attacker while Tanny jumps onto the shoulder of a third warrior.

"Not you, brainless idiot! The sorcerer, there!" The orc ducks, pointing at Tanny, who's in the process of jumping onto the head of yet another orc. The ducking causes another orc to lose quite a chunk of malodorous armor and flesh, while a javelin strikes the shoulder where Tanny had been a moment before and a sword dents the helm and dizzies the orc wearing it, missing by inches Tanny's tail as she keeps jumping from one orc to the other, also heading for the forest.

Stephen can barely make out the source of the extra confusion, though he guesses that the shouts of "sorcerer" can just be caused by Tanny's changing into one or other form. A shriek to his right calls his immediate attention and he swings his staff into an orc's midriff, making him release Tanny's tail. She falls to the ground, breathless, mentally cursing long tails in bodies small enough to be lifted by the tail.

More cries come from another side, as more and more orcs take notice of the engaging army of Grushkahns, and the hesitation of their pursuers gives Stephen time to grab Tanny's tail and drag her protesting form into the forest.

As soon as they reached the relative safety of the trees, Stephen lets go and Tanny shimmers back into her human form.

"Stephen!"

"I apologize, but let's keep the discussion for when we're not near two orc tribes trying to get both us and themselves killed."

As they make their way through the forest, they can hear the frantic yells of Kahr who is trying to get the two tribes to stop fighting long enough to go after the humans. From the sound of it, she's actually succeeding as well, although it will probably take them some time to disentangle the fighting orcs. Tanny and Stephen use this time to put more distance between them and the tribes, but by nightfall they have to stop to rest.

"Contingency plans..." Tanny pants, trying to get enough oxygen into her brain to make it work again, "We should have gone farther. K is nowhere near enough for Wyvern!"

"We were surrounded by... what? One-point-fifteen tribes of orc, and that would be around... 230 orcs..."

"Yeah... and we had to get to the other side of them. Which we did."

"Against chances of... 1 to 1 million?"

Tanny, finally breathing in a calmer way, glares at Stephen even if she knows it's wasted on him. "You really have a penchant for mathematics, don't you?"

"A bit. Now, what are our options? From the noise, it seems we may have more than 1.15 tribes hunting us right now."

"We're doomed, you know?"

Stephen agrees, concentrating his keen hearing into the distant sounds. "One option. The other one is that we're going to die."

"Very doomed." Tanny sighs, touching her hand to the earth and looking for its soothing contact.

"That's option C. Maybe bribing and talking our way out..."

"Not likely. They're stupid, but right now they're enjoying the hunt too much. If all else fails, we'll have to fight our way through..." Tanny starts channeling energy, frowning a bit.

"If even that fails, maybe they take us as prisoners and we can escape somehow? What are you doing?"

"Because of the chance of us getting out is exactly 1 to 1 million against, both option D and option E absolutely cannot fail, and I think that even option F is still quite good."

There's a soft rustle around them, and Stephen turns quickly with his bow ready. "Remind me what option E is?"

"Fighting our way out. Don't move, it's just some vines..." Falling into an easy pattern of energy, Tanny touches the vines around them, and slowly they start to move and knit into each other. After getting a tangle placed between two rocks, she makes a small pause and then looks for the vines that hang from the branches. In some more minutes, there's a very net-like tangle of vines dangling between two trees.

Even without seeing the results, Stephen grins. From the sounds and the patterns of energy he could feel, he can tell more or less what Tanny has done.

"Nice work. That should stop them for a few moments, giving us another few moments go get back to ... "

Stephen suddenly stops talking and frowns worriedly.

"Stephen? What's wrong?"

"We forgot one thing. Where exactly is it that we need to get back to? Is there a way to get back through the portal from this side?"

They both sit in dumbfounded silence for a moment, each wondering how they could've missed such an important detail. After a while Tanny gets up.

"We're not going to get back by just sitting here, that's for sure. Let's go find the place where we arrived, and see from there."

Stephen agrees and they both set off again, trying to maximize the distance between them and the orc tribes. After about an hour, though, they both stop at the same moment, realizing that they'll need to rest if they're going to survive this. As they sit trying to catch their breath, they notice that they can't hear the orcs anymore.

"Do you hear that," Tanny asks.

"Yes ... absolute silence. We should have time for some sleep. After all, the orcs can't go on forever either."

Tanny nods. "I'll take first watch."

"No. We'll both need our sleep. They're far enough behind us I think, and if you can create another one of those wards we should be safe enough. I'll check to see how far they are, just to be safe."

Stephen breathes deeply and concentrates on Earth, following his instinctive link to her and opening himself for the information he knows is there. Little by little, he feels the heavy thread of Orc feet, and also the faint corrupting touch that involves the Orc Shaman.

Stephen's channeling is felt immediately by Tanny, who observes in mild surprise. The pull of his rapport with earth tingles in her mind, and she opens herself to her own link.

The Ranger counts softly the number of feet he can feel, at the same time noticing the subtle characteristics of the land around the pursuing party.

::So, far enough from here...::

The soft voice in his mind startles Stephen, and he almost loses control of his link. An alien touch steadies him as he hastily grabs its threads.

::Don't ever do that again!!:: There's a touch of irritation as he glares at Tanny in thought, calming his racing heart. ::Silly wolf...:: Grumbling, he lets his link dissolve.

Tanny blinks, surprise making her voice come in a whisper, "Stephen.... do you know what you've just done?"

"Got information through earth. It's something..."

"No, I didn't mean your link. You snapped at me and I heard that. Clearly."

It's Stephen's turn to blink. "Mindspeech? I mindspoke to you?"

She nods. "Clearly. And I wasn't in wolf form."

They sit and discuss quietly for some minutes, Stephen describing his link to earth as a means to get information and Tanny explaining how sensitive she is to any energy channelling and how she had followed his link.

"Earth is the common element for both of us. Through her I work my magic, and you get information. If we are both linked to her at the same time..."

"... you think we can mindspeak."

Some quick experimentation easily shows them that it is actually so, and also that a deep rapport to earth isn't needed. However, Stephen grins ruefully.

"I'm not used that that intermediary level of linking... I'm always lightly linked to earth, and I need a deep link to get information. But going to an intermediary state isn't that instinctive."

"We can work on it... but I guess it has to come later. We still need to get some sleep."

Tanny nods, geting up to set up her ward while Stephen starts making himself comfortable. Not much later the two lie sleeping peacefully, but subconsciously still aware of the danger that could find them at any moment.

A very soft noise wakes Tanny, whose ears twitch to catch its direction while her mind goes over the wards. There's a faint stink coming with the breeze, and then a muffled shriek. She opens her eyes carefully, surveying the camp from her nestling place under some bushes. Stephen, lying down on his side, seems to sleep and even snore, but some subtle tension on his shoulders convince Tanny that he's also feigning.

::Stephen?::

As Tanny had hoped, her friend's current link to earth is enough for her tugging of energy and mental nudge make him go into the right level for mindspeaking. The answer comes as a whisper.

::There's something lurking nearby.::

::It hasn't come into the perimeter of the wards, and it walks too softly for an orc... Tanny smiles then, finally matching the growing stink with her memory. Ooooh... don't move, Stephen. It'll feel the wards and go away in a minute... though I think I'll speed a bit his way...

A deft threading and pushing with earth and water results in an unexpected dousing for the small night visitor, who darts away while Tanny giggles soflty. Stephen's mind-voice is puzzled, and she grins.

::There was a quite big puddle of water collected in a depression of a branch... it needed quite a bit of pushing, but I really didn't feel like risking a spray from our curious friend.::

While Tanny finishes her explanation and sends Stephen in a fit of giggling, the little skunk shakes himself quite angrily, arching his tail high but soon deciding that water wouldn't really count as an enemy. He soon has his attention caught by another scent, and scurries off looking for more food.

Danger doesn't find either Stephen or Tanny that night, after all, and after a short breakfast they set off again, moving quickly to regain the time lost. With both of them accustomed to moving through forest they don't hear the orcs anymore until they arrive at that hilltop ...

• 1 month later...

"Here," states Stephen, stopping right at the foot of a small hill.

"Yes," agrees Tanny, surveying the surrounding area. Her instinct, perfectly integrated to nature, recognizes every detail and confirms what Stephen's senses and link to earth had told him. "Now what?"

Stephen leads them up, more or less near the center of the hilltop. The smells and a subtle pattern of earth energy add to the various small hints telling him that this is where they'd arrived. The only difference being that now there is no portal, no way back. He sighs in a quite upset way.

"With 1.15 clans of orcs on our tail, we'll have to find a way back very quickly... ideas?"

"You don't have a tail, dear... nor do I, not currently at least." Tanny's answer is absent-minded, and she's startled by her friend's chuckling.

"We still have to find a way back, though, tail or no tail."

"And it will surely be a tale worth telling our grandchildren..."

Stephen blinks, then groans at the unintended pun before going on.

"A Portal that strong should have left some signature on earth."

"Yes, earth does have a good memory for anything that draws its energy," says Stephen, rubbing his staff and frowning slightly. "Do you think you could activate the Portal from that?"

"I might... never tried it before, Stephen. But we don't have much choice, do we?" Tanny lets her awareness sink into the earth, centering herself and following a random thread of energy.

"If we find the traces, we might sparkle it back to life. I saw something like it being done once when I was still little, although I didn't realize what was going on back then."

For a moment, Stephen was hidden away in a tree again, spying on Graflock and his apprentice. The older mage was chanting and almost dancing when suddenly the earth started trembling. Stephen could hardly hold on to the branch he was sitting on, and it was only thanks to the fact that Graflock stopped his earthquake that he didn't fall out of the tree.

Then the mage started talking to his apprentice, and the boy just seemed to ... stand there, for the longest time. When finally the earthquake started again, it was much wilder than that of Graflock, uprooting trees and cracking the earth in some places. Because of good reflexes he'd gotten away unharmed when his tree fell, but Stephen hadn't gone near a practising mage again after that.

"I'll tell you about it later, though."

Stephen plants his staff firmly into the ground before him. Holding it with both hands, he starts concentrating, sending his senses into the earth and extending them in a circle around him, feeling for a hint of magic, a glimpse of the earth remembering the portal.

Mmm... there's something here... wait, no, this isn't good!

Meanwhile, Tanny follows her wayward thread of energy, feeling a very light twisting in its pattern as she goes along. However, her link is jarred by a mental nudge - more like a push - from a very urgent Stephen.

::Orcs, and they're really close, too! Dammit, they must've taken a very short break for the night!::

Mentally blinking from the abrupt interruption, she quickly widens her perception.

::There's a subterranean stream... and... tiny faults crawling around here...:: She whispers in thought, working her possibilities with precision and speed. ::The forest's angry, it should be easy to nudge the growth...::

:: Good, that should slow them down a little and buy us more time. ::

While Stephen quickly retracts his senses he can hear the Orcs coming closer through the forest. When he speaks, the urgency is obvious in his voice.

“They're too close, they'll be coming out of the forest any ...”

He stops as he hears the first Orcs leaving the forest, and both he and Tanny instinctively turn to face them. From their vantage point on the hilltop they can see and sense the first Orcs breaking out of the forest. The snapping of twigs is lost in the orderly drum of feet as for once, the Orcs march in rows. With two Shamans to command them, and a common enemy to unite them, the Orcs finally show some discipline. The Captains can be heard bellowing their orders, and sometimes a pleased grunt can be heard at those orders being carried out right away.

"We have some time before they reach us..." whispers Tanny, immediately centering and grounding in a proper way for heavy work. Earth's raw energy starts to fill her as she opens completely to it, and she extends her mental fingers to also touch the water running through the earth.

Stephen mutters, "Let's hope it'll be enough. I'll keep trying to find that portal back."

Once again extending his senses into the earth, Stephen concentrates on a smaller area around himself now, not wanting to interfere with Tanny's weaving of energy.

The Orcs at the front of the wave grin, certain of an easy slaughter. Seeing their prey so near and apparently not paying attention to them, the warriors let go their war cry. It comes out dissonant, mixing imprecations from two tribes and swearing from two shamans as they see their horde starting to leave the marching order as blood-lust replaces whipped commands.

The trampling of the heavy feet at first confuses itself with a soft rumbling, but soon enough the rumbling gets louder. Nudged, sometimes pushed, in key points, the faults deep under the Orc's feet slide and buckle, sending seismic waves up and around.

The quake is still small, lacking the energy to do more than being felt. But that is enough to slower the Orcs and send some of the younger ones into panic.

"Earth shakes! No good! Run!"

As some mild shouting and spear-poking come into play to keep some appearance of order and make the scared ones go on, the first Orcs to get near the foot of the hill scream. Squishy sounds become louder as other Orcs follow, unable to stop in time and being pushed into the muddy mire that appeared so suddenly.

"Quicksand!"

The shout carries to the back of the horde, and some orcs start to spread to the sides of the path to circle it.

"It grows around us!"

As soon as heavy-clad feet step on the naked earth, patches of quicksand appear to swallow them slowly - patches that also seem to move in a random way, leaving Orcs buried hip- or chest-deep in packed earth.

The rumble keeps growing slowly, and the continuous quake added to the moving quicksand start to halt even the greedier of the Orcs. A sudden flash makes them look upward, and the sky seems to erupt in flames.

Tanny's mind keeps a tight control on the threads being woven, energy flowing into her sluggishly as she demands more and more from herself. She pushes back the hint of pain, and from somewhere a fleeting thought comes.

Fire in the sky? How... it's illusion!

She immediately stows away the disturbing thought to be analysed later, gasping softly as she starts to fight hostile waves of an energy she isn't trained to deal with - magic.

"It's simple illusion, you fools!" Kahr shouts, her strident and powerful voice being heard above the screams and clanking of the warriors. "Forget the fire, it can't touch us!"

"Our magic is more powerful!" Bralak's bellow overlaps Kahr's. "No more unnatural quicksand!"

Solid earth and patches of quicksand seem to fight, the occasional Orc being victim to a suddenly reluctand muddy patch reappering where magic solid ground had conquered. The Orcs press on once again, the shamans chanting and calling to them their magic.

On the hilltop, Stephen finally thinks he's found it. There is just a hint, a vague memory of energy being used. He's about to tell Tanny when he notices her weaving becoming more frantic every moment.

Concentrating so hard his fingers go white on his staff from holding it too strongly, Stephen tries holding on to that one point while at the same time lending some of his energy to Tanny.

It's too much... ouch, that burns! Tanny recoils, trying to get the balance that would allow her to let magic flow around her with minimum harm. However, the drain is too heavily felt, and the thread of water energy escapes her control with a backlash that blanks her mind for a second.

Not stopping to wonder where the extra energy came from but feeling the flow of energy come steady and clear once more, Tanny pushes it resolutely against the waves of magic now hitting her through her link to earth. There's a bright flash and a deafening roar in her mind and she reels, but again she feels the strong wall behind her giving support.

With sweat beads on his forehead, Stephen keeps concentrating on both Tanny and that one spot in the energy threads of the earth. He's at a loss for what to do though, needing all of his energy and concentration just to keep this stalemate.

Suddenly his concentration is interrupted, however, as an Orc arrow strikes his leg. He can feel both Tanny's weavings and the Portal spot slipping away from him. The last thing he notices before he loses his link, though, is that the energies clash into each other, mingling with what he can only assume to be the magic of the Shamans.

Then several sounds reach his ears at the same time. In front of him, he can hear the Orcs starting to trample closer, their snorts and cries of victory sounding absolutely repulsive at such a close distance. To the left of him, barely audible, the sound of someone falling to the groud. And behind him, a sound that almost drowns out all the others, a great tearing as though someone's tearing a huge sheet of paper.

Dazed, Tanny feels a strong arm around her waist, hoisting her up.

Up? When did I fall? While wondering, Stephen's voice comes from somewhere near her ear, almost shouting for her to run.

"Run?" Blinking, she stumbles, then changes to the steadier four-legged form and follows Stephen towards a wavery blur taking shape to their left. The unmistakable tingling that comes from passing through a Portal comes...

A human and a wolf came through the Portal so fast that they stumbled to the ground, smoke rising from their hair and fur. Both of them yelling to close it, close it quickly and preferably forever, one in mindspech, the other in Common. Scarlot, who happened to be near, raised an eyebrow but seeing a number of orcs too great to count heading for the portal immediately understood...

• 2 weeks later...

Written in collaboration with Wyvern. Thank you mr. Employer!

Stephen smiles.

"A good thing Scarlot happened to be near the portal when we came back, don't you think?"

"Yeah, if we'd had to close it ourselves the Pen would've been stuck with an Orcish army trying to tear it apart. I would've led them straight to Wyvern's office, though. Speaking of which ..."

"Taaannnnnny!" Tanuchan cringes as she's interrupted by an all-too-familiar almost dragonic voice. "And Ssssssstephen! So wonderful to see you two again."

Stephen and Tanuchan watch as Wyvern jumps from his seat at a stand near the portal. The two adventurers notice the cartoonish cardboard depictions of themselves, and raise their brows as the lizard approaches.

"I missed you so muuuuch!" The lizard gives each of them a quick greeting hug. "These spin-off products have been selling great, you should have seen the crowds!"

"Spin-off products?" Stephen stares at Wyvern with a glum expression.

"Well sure." The lizard sneers. "The Pen has been going Tanuchan/ Hascodem crazy as of late. Why, Degenero Angelus even bought seven of every Tanuchan product."

The adventurers stare speechless as Wyvern backs up and extends a claw. The lizard's friendly tone changes to a cold and formal one.

"Speaking of selling products, where's the geld that you two made off of my Almost Dragonic Brand Lemonoaid? Probably the easiest geld you two made in all your life, wasn't it?"

"Well..." Tanuchan frowns. "We don't have any Lemonnoaid geld for you, Wyvern. It was lost when we-"

"No geld?!" The lizard bares his teeth and throws his hands in the air. "No geld?! You came back through that portal, and you didn't bring me any geld?!"

"That's right." Stephen rubs his temple.

"Well, you can get outta my sight." Wyvern turns back to his booth. "And to think Sssalinye actually wanted me to pay you two for this mission. Ha! Was better off just selling the spin-offs."

Stephen and Tanny stare at each other, dumbfounded, as Bravery the Elder Dwarf directs them to the door whispering that it might be better for them not to be around Wyvern for now. It's just when they're already in the Courtyard that their voices seem to find them again, and both speak at the same time.

"I can't believe what..."

"I didn't hear what I think..."

To the surprise of the Pennites inthe Courtyard, and to themselves, both start chuckling, and in seconds they're roaring with laughter.

"And we thought... "

"Such fools... "

"Wyvern, paying us... "

"We were dreaming..."

After some minutes, wiping tears, both try to leave as discreetly as they can, still giggling. Tanny changes then to her wolf form and, howling, bounds to the forest followed closely by Stephen.

Stephen hands Tanny her plate, featuring a nicely roasted rabbit with herbs, and receives from her a glass of juice decorated with something that, after touching, he recognizes as a small wyvern sculpted in wood.

"This is quite... well made," he whispers in surprise, running his fingers on its smooth surface. "Did you carve it?"

"Yes. It's yours... "

He frowns slightly, wondering why his companion would choose to give him such a reminder of their mission. Then, by now used to her ways, he extends his senses into the sculpture. And as he suspected, he feels the faint touch of earth in it.

"I've woven your pattern into the wooden threads, reinforcing it with a good measure of earth. It will help you to focus your mind in the right level for mindspeaking with any creature who has any link with earth. And my pattern is there also, so we'll be able to mindspeak even when you aren't linked to earth." She smiles warmly. "Thank you for being my partner, for saving my life, and for making me laugh and have a good time in spite of that lizard."

Once again, Stephen was at a loss for words. Then he smiled widely.

"And thank you, too, for the same things as well as for trusting me."

Still smiling, he sips his juice. And in half a second splutters and coughs, and if he could he'd be glaring at Tanny.

"Lemonade?!?"

"It won't poison you, Stephen... I did it with the best lemon you'll find nearby. No Almost Draconic ingredients there!" She laughs, keeping away from his hands.

"Sorry, Stephen... couldn't resist. But should we prepare our little surprise for our lizard-boss?" She grins as she thinks of their plan again.

Grinning just as toothily, Stephen answers, "Aye, I think so. I take it you have everything ready?"

"Yes, and he deserves it doubly so with that Revival Campaign™ of his he's been setting up in the Cabaret room."

Tanny's smugly smile matches Stephen's. After some days resting in her cottage, far from Orcs in general and one lizard in special, they feel quite refreshed. Those two days had also been profitable in talk, laughter, and a brilliant plan to relieve their stress.

They leave the cottage for a quick dive in the lake, and then sit on its margin talking about energy flows, magic, and illusion. Lunch is provided by Tanny's hunting skills and Stephen's ranger knowledge, and so another day goes on.

Later that night, half-concealed by the lengthening shadows, Tanny and Stephen step calmly into Wyvern's office. Closing the door, Tanny quickly starts putting together several manniquin limbs, threading them with strands of earth energy. She tugs at one tag, tearing it away with a grimace - it reads Tanuchan Limb Puzzle.

Meanwhile, Stephen is spreading out the Almost Dragonic Brand Stephen Hascodem Queensleave Smoke Wraps on the ground around Tanny's construction.

"Tanny ... could you weave something that makes a spark when Wyvern enters?"

She thinks for a moment before answering.

"Well ... fire isn't really my specialty, but with some flint and steel I could probably make a trap that'll send sparks flying when he opens the door. Do you think that'll be enough?"

"Oh, yes ... it shouldn't become a bonfire. I don't want to roast the lizard, just smoke him a little."

Tanny can't suppress a grin as she answers, "Awww ... but roasted lizard sounds de-li-cious!"

They both chuckle, and Stephen leaves to get his flint and steel. Not much later, he returns with it and the trap is set. The Almost Dragonic Brand Stephen Hascodem Blind Men Canes support the entire construction, and the Almost Dragonic Brand Tanuchan Gaia Spy Action Figures are ready to start randomly moving through the puzzle as soon as it collapses to add to the confusion.

After surveying their work for a few moments, the two shadowy figures leave the Office and the Keep grounds silently, headed for the forest where they'll await the morning surprises.

The next morning, Wyvern barges into his Office on his daily routine. The overgrown lizard carries a sack of geld behind him, labeled "Perfect Sell Spin-off Product Profits."

"Melba, clear out the Office I gotta-"

Wyvern cries out as sparks begin flying out in all directions. The Almost Dragonic Stephen Hascodem Smoke Wraps begin filling the room with smoke, and Wyvern flails blindly till he collides with a large Almost Dragonic Brand Tanuchan Limb Puzzle. Flailing about in the puzzle, the reptilian Elder cries out as the Tanuchan Brand Gaia Action figures tear a large hole in this geld bag. The gold coins drop to the floor and roll towards a large crack that has been formed in the floor.

"Nooooooooooooo!"

In a moment of frustration-induced strength, Wyvern jumps towards the crack, carrying the entire limb puzzle along with him. The lizard careens left and right, aiming his claw for the crack. Blinded by the smoke that fills the room, Wyvern manages to stick his claw into the crack just as Tanuchan's earth energy seals it shut.

"Arrrrrgh!" Wyvern pulls at his claw to no avail and coughs. "Somebody get me outta here!"

• 2 weeks later...

The

"Go left, useless jabbering piece of meat... and let your Commander deal with this!"

Grashk grinned, handling his weapons of choice with the pride of a recognized great fighter. Sounds of batlle filled his mind, and his eyes glinted as battlelust started to possess him.

A sudden clang of metal and a dull pain on his back made him gasp in suprise, and he turned to face his attacker.

“Well, Grashk? Did you scrub those pots yet?” She glares at him, patting the roller pin.

“Ngaria! I told you a thousand times already! I'm not your kitchen slave, I'm a Ca...”

“Then why don't you stop dreaming and work, sweetie? They're not going to scrub themselves you know.”

“I ...”

“NOW!”

With a sound that, from a safe distance, could be called a whimper, Grashk hurried to show great concentration on scrubbing the pots, muttering to himself.

“What was that sweetie?”

“Uhh ... nothing, nothing!”

With a satisfied nod, Ngaria turned back to her pet wolf and resumed patting its head.

“Tuttuttut... I wouldn't ride you, would I cutesy-pie? Nooo, I wouldn't, and I won't let mean Grashk ride you either, you know that, don't you cootchie-coo?”

In the kitchen, Grashk could hear her cooing and gnashed his teeth together.

“Sweetie! Spotty needs his daily brushing!”

Muttering to himself under his breath, Grashk stopped scrubbing, picked up the brush and returned to Spotty and Ngaria. When he started putting on his armor, Ngaria interrupted him.

“Now sweetie, you know how Spotty hates waiting, there's no time for that sillyness!”

Spotty gave an almost pathetic-sounding whimper at Ngaria, and looked at Grashk with a glint of hunger, growling low and showing his sharp fangs.

Grashk gulped, looking at Ngaria.

"Oohh, look how cute! He wants to play!”

As soon as Grashk knelt down with brush in hands, Spotty lunged at him.

The two Shamans sat together in Kahr's tent, Bralak eyeing Zadoor suspiciously from time to time. The snake seemed to flick its tongue at him every time, but Bralak was determined not to let this distract him and concentrated on what Kahr was saying.

“So you see, Shaman Bralak, rather than having our tribes fight each other, we should unite – you've seen for yourself how much more order there was in the ranks when ... we were commanding them together.”

Bralak could already picture the combined army marching to victory after victory under his skillful leadership. And that of Kahr, of course. With a wicked grin, he answered.

“Yes – we'd have the only real Orc army at m ... our command – we'd be as good as invincible.”

Kahr smiled. Even though Bralak seemed to agree with her plan, she realized that he'd try to get rid of her as soon as he felt comfortable commanding the two united tribes. That would take some time though – time she'd be using to convince him he needed her. And she needed him, too; in spite of, or maybe because of, his lack of intelligence he had this brute authority that seemed to make the Orcs more ferocious in battle than anything else.

The future was looking good for all of them ...

Meanwhile, Grashk had found a few minutes to himself. He stood nursing his bandaged hand in a small room, mumbling to himself.

“So the Shamans think they'll be safe from harm when they unite? They're fools, both of them! I could lead the tribes far better than they ever could, and I will, too ... with the help of that Lemonoaid I'll vanquish them easily ...”

With a broad grin that was only slightly ruined by a stabbing pain coming from his hand, Grashk stared at the jug in front of him.

The jug of Almost Dragonic Brand Semi-Sweet Lemonoaid.

It seemed to have started bubbling, and it was glowing, too - glowing a sinister green ...

End