The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Lost Love

Equester

In the shadows rests a broken soul of a man, a mere shell of his former self. A ghost in the presence of angels. Crying, weeping, and longing to be loved. He holds himself together only by the thought of hope. Hope that someday his love will come. The hope fades each and every passing day that goes by. Gradually he wonders if there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel, for all he sees is emptiness and darkness. Silent chaos amidst the echoing sounds of a haunting voice from his past, calling his name in the wind. Sounds of what was once love, only now memories. Yet it was not always like this, back in those simple days…

It was much different when he walked the hallowed corridors of his college. He remembers waking up early, even when he didn't have class, just so he could walk her to hers. He remembers waiting outside of the room, in the rain, just so he could get a glimpse of her before he started his day. He was so in love that he brought her presents almost everyday for months. Yet she never complained. Though later, she kindly told him to stop because she said that it was not the presents that made her happy, but the gesture that accompanied them. So instead he wrote her poems from his heart. It was the purest way he knew to express his feelings for her. It came so naturally. There was so much inspiration given to him by her. She helped him become stronger inside and out. She was so different then. She was much kinder. So much more gentle. She knew everything about him, and he about her. They were inseparable. They were so happy then.

Then one day it all changed. She wasn't the person he had met a few years before. The issues of her past life and prior relationships began to arise and conflict with the life she had now. Her fears and insecurities became stronger and more apparent. They cut into him like blades. Deep were the cuts that were brought upon him. The harshness of her words bruised his spirit as thrown stones would bruise his body. He didn't understand what he had ever done wrong. He didn't understand why she had changed. How could he? His life was so much more sheltered then hers. But it didn't protect him anymore then as if he had lived her life for himself. He experienced her pain through her eyes and by the pain she brought upon him. There was no where to run. There was no escape for him. For how can one run away from the person they love?

As time slowly melted away, she slowly began to heal. Sadly, not without any expense. His soul drifted in an opposite direction for safety. The shelter that he once called his heaven was now his hell. Yet he continued to bare the brunt of her onslaught for a few more years to come. However, as she began to heal, his spirit slowly began to break. Until, at last, he was merely a shell of who he once was. His soul was tattered and broken. His scars were deep and his wounds could not be healed. And yet after all this, deep down inside his heart, he still loved her. He always had and always would. Even after the arguments and disputes, he just couldn't let her go. The final break was at hand. She requested for her space, so he obliged.

Only a short time later, the final blow was dealt. She told him she was in love with someone else. Not just anyone else, but his brother, his rival. She said that she had realized that she was always in love with the man before, and never truly was in love with the broken soul who stood in front of her. She was only afraid to return to the man earlier for she was afraid of that man's rejection. There had never benn love between that lost spirit and her. There was no bond, no joy, no happiness. It was all a lie. A lie, at his expense. He had no one he could count on, no one who he could spend the rest of his life with. He had never truly had her. She wasn't the person he would be waiting for while he was heaven while she was on earth. Nor the one he would look forward to seeing again when it was his time to cross to the other side. It had all been a dream. A false hope. And he lived it all alone. It was all in his own mind. A play with his dreams as the cast.

With his spirit crushed, bruised and battered, he drifted away into his own world. Her spirit still haunts him now in his sleep. Her voice still calls his name on the breeze. Her scent still lingers as if she has been there a few moments before. Whether it was a dream or a nightmare, he doesn't know. She was real to him at the time. That is the past he will cling to. The long talks on the phone into the late hours of the night. The good times that he had with her. The walks they shared in the moonlight. Was it all a dream, you ask? He doesn't know, but if so then they are his dreams. Dreams that he will carry with him for the rest of his life until the day he dies. And maybe one day, one day… his love will arrive. His real dream will come, and she will love him like no other. On that day, his dreams will stop being dreams and become a reality. Until then, he wanders in search of the past that he dreams and the future yet to be. He wanders alone in the darkness, in silence, with the ever vigilant hope that someday his love will arrive and carry him beyond his dreams, into reality…

I like your tone. I really like it...

**Yells for the heralds and troubadores to come have at Equesters' well written piece**

Hey somewhere better acquainted with Prose needs to comment on this...

**Looks around**

Zadown... Big P... Ozy... Yui... Stick... Gry?

rev...

The Words are so simple, that's why it is so true

The story are so plain, that's why the feelings are weighted so heavily.

I feel the pain in between the lines, the vortex of emotions, betrayal and lost.

Everyone probably had experienced something similar before, and that's why everyone can relate to the story.

But... what if your ex and your bro is the good guys, what if they were destined to be together, and you are the obsticle that is in their way. What if your ex was in love with your brother from the very beginning, but you offered yourself first?

What if the person you are waiting for now never existed at all? What if she never come? You'll wait for an eternity for nothing, nothing at all...

Love is Pain

Marriage is Slavery

Solitude is Strenght

Welcome to the Dark Side of the Pen

A very nice read, Equester - and as Vigil said : everyone can probably relate to this (I know I can... somewhat).

A thought that crossed my mind while reading this was how has always been there for him, strengthened him and helped him but when she began to change he wasn't or couldn't be there for her. Now I'm wondering whether this was your intention or not...

I like the way you tell an entire lovestory while remaining very vague about the characters - this is probably one of the reasons why it's so easy to relate to.

Vigil : you have a point there... what if the ex and the brother were the good guys, and the main character was an obstacle in their way? That raises an interesting perspective on this story...

Personally, I am convinced that there is someone for everybody - the person he is waiting for does exist, but might indeed never come. Whether the waiting was in vain is something I wouldn't be entirely sure about...