The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The caravan arrives

Ayshela

For those unfamiliar with the background for this, the summer carnival opening is in this thread.

It’s nearly dawn and those awake in the early hours could see crawling across the horizon a line of wagons, clearly destined for the gates of the Pen Keep. The truly observant would notice that these wagons seemed familiar, sturdy and well built with the faintest traces of music weaving around and through the caravan. No longer dusty and faded from sun and age, the vivid colours have been restored and eye-catching designs flow from wood to canvas and sometimes even to a well-inked wagon driver! Yet the undercurrent of excitement, however familiar, is not isolated to the caravan this time.

As the wagons creak to a halt near the Courtyard, a muffled shriek is heard from an upstairs window, followed by hurried footsteps heading toward the doorway. A moment later Ayshela comes flying out the door babbling excitedly. “DAIN!!! You’re here! I didn’t think you’d be here for another week, the weather has been horrible, we don’t have anything set up yet, though the wagons look *wonderful*, and I don’t think anyone else is awake yet, if you want me to help you set up I can because you’ll be in the same place, and…” By this time she’d reached Dain and pounced him in a gleeful hug. Dain smiled broadly and said “Slow down, missy. We missed the worst a’ the weather, and we’re glad ta be here. If ya want ta help with the setup you’d be more’n welcome, an if not that’s fine too. I got a good idea what ya want an we know where ta go so it’s up ta you.”

With a broad smile Ayshela waved them toward the Courtyard and climbing up beside Dain she told him, “I wouldn’t miss this for the world!” With a thoughtful look, she said, “I almost didn’t realize it was you for a moment, the wagons look so… so…” Dain smiled and said, “So different? So good? So much better, at least? Well, y’see, that’s part a the reason we were so glad ta come back. We had a lot a fun here last time, an learned a lot besides, an even made some friends here, so it woulda been good coming back anyway, an we’d’a done it just for that. But this place here, it’s different. Most places we gotta choose, we can have fun or make money, but not the both. Here, we made a living while enjoying the life. We like bein’ here, an it’s good business too.” Dain suddenly looked at Ayshela with a broad smile, as he said, “You’re as good fer us as we are fer you. We like that.” Ayshela smiled softly and said “I’m glad.” They hopped off the wagon and started directing the setup.

Ayshela marveled for a moment as she saw the wagons being emptied. It always seemed a bit magical watching the carnies unload more than it seemed the wagons could hold! Roll after roll of canvas was hauled out and lined up beside a stack of tent poles, and soon a small army of people swarmed over the Courtyard setting up long rows of gleaming white tents around the fountain. Dotted here and there around the central row of tents were others – some white, some a soft buttercream colour, others in red or green or blue. Strings of lights were run around the edges of many of the tents, and long strings outlined walkways between the areas for shops and events and guild classes and such. Alaeha came out with a broad smile for all the activity, and led some of the busy workers toward the guild halls to set up for the indoor activities there. Ayshela remained in the Courtyard, stringing fairy lights among the branches of the Oak Tree so that come evening the Courtyard would look as if it were being lit by a thousand fireflies!

The lights strung and tents set out, Ayshela stood on the edge of the fountain with a broad, satisfied smile. Soon, soon, they would be ready… and then, let the people come!