The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

It's a small world

Gryphon

It's a funny old world at times...

On my way to work today I saw something interesting, the morning paper had a huge, beautiful, picture of a whale on the front cover. It was quite an outstanding bit of photography, it really was. I of course didn't bother to buy a paper, why bother when I can go up the street a couple of hundred meters, log on to the paper's website and read the same article for free?

One thing led to another and more than half my day has gone by without me getting a chance to read that article but I just got a chance now, the link can be found below:

News Story

Anyway, here's the funny thing... I was reading about the guy in the story who was out kayaking and had these whales come and visit him surfacing all around his kayak, where he just happened to be sitting testing his brand new digital camera - who's mad enough to have a brand new digital camera out on a kayak for gods sake?

I happened to notice in passing that the name of the photographer/kayaker happened to be the same as one of my old programming lecturers when I went to University... who incidentally happens to be one of the few people I know who might be mad enough to take a brand new digital camera out in a kayak, though I didn't know he even knew what a kayak was.

Less than half an article later I see that this madman is a computer science lecturer... MY old computer science lecturer in fact!

Now I never claimed to be close to the guy, but man, the things you find out people do in their spare time... I never picked him for being a kayaking whale photographer. A brillant programmer yes, but a kayaking whale photographer?

Funny world we live in. :) (I wish I were a kayaking whale photographer too.)