The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A tale of assassins

Venefyxatu

OOC : Black and I have been talking about this and I was eager to get started, so here's the first post :)

For now, I'd like to ask that you don't join without asking first. Thank you :)

Before I start, I have an important announcement to make. The city this story starts in, and will likely continue in as well, was not created by me nor by Black. My friend DilaShu was so kind to borrow me a city she'd created for a roleplaying world and give us the freedom to adjust it to adjust it as needed. She did a mighty fine job creating the city, and that's something that should be known. Thank you!

*heads off to the Greenroom to make an OOC thread for comments and discussions and such*

-----

She'd seen it lying in the distance all day now, but she didn't hurry. She knew her victim wouldn't be leaving the city anytime soon and that even if he did she wouldn't have to wait very long for him to return. Now that she finally knew who he was and where he came from, she'd be able to find him back without much problems anyway. The real problem was how she was going to study his behaviour – normally she'd just enter the city and observe her victim in different disguises, but Rahkir was no ordinary city.

It was situated on the coast of the Tehrassi Ocean and the docks was the only part of the city that visitors ever got to see, if they were even allowed to leave their ships. On the inland side, there was a single road leading through the open plains to the city, but nobody had ever used it to enter – at least nobody who still lived to tell about it. What could be seen of the city itself was darkly coloured and never lit at night. There were no buildings rising high above the others, nor were there any fancy shapes that caught the eye. It was as though the builders had tried to make the city as dull to look at as possible and succeeded remarkably well at this.

As night started falling Samantha led her horse to a thicket near a small stream along the road and dismounted. She calmly took off her gear, the saddle and riding gear and took care of the horse before hobbling it. That way it could choose a good grazing spot without being able to wander off too far. Then she took care of herself – she ate some of the trail rations she'd brought and washed up in the stream. After that she sat awake for a long time, deciding to get a full day of rest before continuing to the city... at night and without the horse. When she finally went to sleep, she made sure to blend in with the darkness, hidden under some shrubs.

Edited by Venefyxatu

Meanwhile, another soul treked upon the lands somewhat near the city. I say somewhat because he's actually quite far...Lotus was , however, fast. A faint image of a man swooped by the nearby civilizations as Lotus playfully dashed across the landscape. The ground below him was seen as a blur as he leapt from rock to stone and into the treetops. Flipping from branch to severed limb, Lotus's speed gradually diminished...though to the average observer he would still be propelling at quite a momentum. Lotus was known to very little, as he was at heart...a loner. Now, broken off from his usual ties...he was now free to travel the world...to see new places and new civilizations...to seek amusment from where he'd never been before. It went on in this fashion for a about an hour...this was when Lotus was starting to run low on strength and decided to stop off for a rest. Noticing a city in the distance before him, Lotus came to a sudden halt. The ground before him tore asunder as he slid upon it with great ease.

Most would describe Lotus as a dashing, yet mysterious man. He donned a black assassin uniform that covered his arms and directly under his neck line. His only weapons to speak of were a pair of vine shaped daggers at either side his waist. His long brown hair played in the wind as he halted his forward momentum and briefly covered his darknened, yet mysterious shades. Seen to most as a...cool guy...Lotus looked upon the city with the williingness of Willy being freed in the final scene of the movie. The wind blew once more, more gently this time...giving Lotus the feeling that he was not alone.

Lotus-"A fine night, I must say." Holding a Black Lotus to his nose, Lotus gave a brief whiff of it's fragrant scent.

Lotus-"A rose by any other name...as they say...would smell so sweet. Let the petals lay as they may...where nature will finally meet." Ever aware of another presence, Lotus stared the way of the city, wondering who it may be and if the poor soul had heard of his famed reputation.

One of the things that adventurers and assassins have in common, besides the first letter of their profession, is that they don't grow old if they don't sleep lightly – especially if they have gained some renown, and doubly so for those who are both. Samantha was both and she'd made some enemies as well, both of the common races and some darker, so she'd picked up the habit of sleeping light very quickly. Therefore, when someone stopped near the thicket she was in, she instantly awoke without moving. Knowing that, even though an ordinary human wouldn't be able to see her, there were other things out there, she quietly let Fir'nae slide into her hand and tensed her muscles, ready to move instantly.

While she was listening, Lotus finished his little speech and cautiously approached the thicket, for even though he knew he would probably survive whatever he'd find it never hurt to be cautious, did it? As Lotus quickly searched through the ticket, Samantha decided that he couldn't “feel” her presence like some creatures would've been able to, and probably wouldn't be able to “feel” her jumping either. With a mere thought she vanished, and reappeared next to her horse, Fir'nae still in her hand.

Not really hiding anymore, just standing really quietly, she watched Lotus go through the brush she'd been under and had just the time to think that if he could see traces of her having been there, he must be really good when he turned around.

“If you're thinking about using that dagger on me, I suggest you start thinking something else.”

Samantha slid the dagger up into her sleeve again, knowing that it was still ready to slide back into her hand.

”If I'd wanted to use it on you, sir, I would've done so already. But one can never be too careful... From your attitude I would say that, had you wanted to hurt me, you would've done so already. If I had a campfire I would invite you to join me at it, but for lack of one I'll just invite you in general.”

Lotus-"Greetings I graciously accept your invitation." Lotus said as he took a seat on a nearby rock. "I am Travis, an artisan from a nearby town. I have yet to make a name for myself...as of now I am a struggling nobody...but one day my works of art will be known far and wide. I am a warrior poet that searches this great land for new feelings and adventures...perhaps even to meet some interesting people to further my work. After all, one can't write what one has not experienced for themselves." Samantha, now believing it to be safe enough, though still cautious, lowered her guard...if only a little.

Lotus-"May I inquire of your name, m'lady?" Attempting to be a vague as possible, Samantha responded to the inquiry.

Samantha-"I am Samantha, It's nice to meet you." Getting once again to his feet, (Lotus never was one to under do things), Lotus took up a poetic stance. In reality, he really was a quite skilled poet...this much wasn't a lie. The question was...would he be good enough to fool Samantha into believing his little story? In a confident, yet soft tone, Lotus began to speak.

Lotus-"What's in a name, one with beauty hence told,

the sound of an angel, in a voice once unknown?

What's in a friendship, so new and so fresh?

Such grace and yet beauty,

I'd fall to my knees,

If the Earth all around us,

who's beauties beneath."

Once again, taking out the Black Lotus, Lotus gave it a gentle sniff and softly tossed it Samantha's direction. Lotus knew he was over doing it. He knew he could very well be going too far with this little charade...but weren't all great artiisans a little on the excentric side?

Lotus-"A rose for a rose? M'lady?" It was at this time, his recalled memories of giving up on poetry, would become his undoing. At heart he felt that if he had tried a bit harder in the artisan ways...that by now, he might have become somewhat known for his talents. Now, however, was not the time to delve into old and forgotten memories...nor was it the time to bring what very well could have been a promising hobby back from the dead. For now, Lotus decided, his skills in the arts were up to par, at least for a promising novice.

Edited by Black9

In spite of there being only the faintest of light from the stars, Samantha caught the flower and sniffed it, using the gesture to mask a moment of private thoughts. Since the party from her hometown had split up she'd tried to remain solitary as much as possible, especially when she had a task to complete, but she had the idea that the company of this... warrior poet wouldn't stop her from completing that task. Besides, if his fighting skills were as good as his poetry skills he'd be able to take care of himself, as long as he didn't get himself into trouble in Rahkir.

When she looked up, a glint of starlight reflecting off her eyes, Travis noticed that they were completely white. Before he could say anything about it though, Samantha spoke in a slightly reserved tone. After all, she hadn't forgotten Finnius yet even though it was years ago. He'd had such a nice way with words...

”A beautiful flower to go with a beautiful poem. Let us be well met, sir Travis. What brings you to this nearly-deserted area, if I may ask?”

With a big grin, Lotus answered – apparently he was good enough to make her believe his story. Even though he was curious about her eyes, he decided not to ask anything yet – he wanted to be sure first, and it was as though the little light there was was avoiding her completely.

”Of course you may ask! And what better reason would a travelling poet have to go anywhere but to gather stories? When I learned that there was as good as nothing known about Rahkir, I decided to see if I could figure out the reason for that. Since you're here, would you happen to know anything about the city?”

She'd gone through a lot of trouble for it, but she did indeed know a few things about the city. It was amazing how even some trivial information like what she knew could be so hard to come by. She knew that the city was very well-defended and that it was virtually impossible to enter for someone who wasn't welcome, that being about every outsider. Also, the inhabitants of Rahkir were rumoured to be extremely good with weapons. When she told him this, Travis seemed to be genuinely interested and worried about how he himself was going to get in then.

“I suggest you try the gates... they seem to value their privacy so I imagine that anyone caught sneaking into the city is going to go through some extremely unpleasant experiences.”

“And what about you, m'lady? Surely there is nothing else of interest in this area?”

When Samantha answered, Lotus had the feeling that she was looking straight at him even though he couldn't quite make out her face.

“Me? I'm going to sneak in, kill somebody and sneak out again.”

Because her answer surprised him somewhat it wasn't really hard for him to act surprised.

“But... did you not just say...”

Samantha laughed, still holding the Lotus in her hands.

“Don't worry about me, sir Travis. I have no intention to journey to the next world anytime soon. Say... what is this flower called? I've never seen one like it”

Lotus-"What you hold in your hands now is a flower called the Black Lotus. I first came across the Lotus on a past journey. I remember it like it was yesterday...I was traveling along the path as normal...not a care in the world as I picked up a scent that I'd never before smelled. The scent was almost intoxicating to the point that I simply had to find out what it was. Locating an obscure patch of flowers, I was seemingly forced to get a closer look at them. You know...it may seem silly, but sometimes I look back on that day and start to think it fate that lead me so far off the path. Ever since that day, I always keep a few with me where ever I roam. Ofcourse, they aren't half as lovely as you, m'lady." Trying to keep away from any negative topics, Lotus once again began to speak.

Lotus-"So, the people in this town are pretty tough, I take it?"

Samantha-"From what I hear, yes. I hope your not planning on doing anything that's going to get you killed." The concern in Samantha's voice was noteable...Lotus gave a small chuckle and spoke with much confidence.

Lotus-"I have done some pretty crazy things in my past, m'lady. Sure, it started out small...but gradually grew over time and finally led up to some truly insane risks. Still, I have made it this far without perishing...I imagine I can handle these people. I take it you're off during the shadows of night?" Samantha gave a nod and Lotus continued.

Lotus-"Then I will act as a distraction as you attempt to sneak inside."

Samantha-"Are you sure? I wouldn't want to put you in harm's way." A smile came over Lotus's face as he responded to the question. He was planning on causing a scene anyhow, he might as well help Samantha out in the process.

Lotus-"I'll try not to offend TOO many of the city's inhabitants."

Edited by Black9

Samantha laughed at that remark. If he was that confident, he must've been on the road for a very long time. And that would mean that he knew what he was doing... unless he was being over-confident, but that was his problem.

They spent the rest of the day and the following night discussing every scrap of knowledge they had about Rahkir, resting and checking their gear. When the night came again they set off together, heading for the city, leaving the horse behind. When they were close enough, they split up, Samantha warning Travis one final time.

”Remember... don't worry about me if things go wrong. I have ways of getting out without being caught.”

With those words, they parted.

Lotus approached the city gate with a will of iron. Like a charging bull, he had already decided that nothing would deter him from acheiving his goal of entering the city. The question still lingered in the back of his mind though as to why was he doing this? Was it for pride? Perhaps it was simply because he had never been there. After all, he had taken this kind of risk...risk...this was no risk...before and simply done so for laughs. No! Lotus knew whay he was doing this...it was because he was told by so many that he wasn't allowed. Ever since he was born, Lotus was told that he can't do this and wasn't allowed to do that...very early in life he became fed up with it. He was told he couldn't fight...that he would never become a true warrior. He was told that if he did...that he would be dead within a week. Ever since that day, whenever Lotus was told not to do something...it drove him to desire it to even greater extents!

Confidently walking up to the front gate, Lotus noticed four guards standing watch. For some odd reason, however, the gates were partly open. The guards turned the assassin's direction as Lotus approached them. They had expected this mysterious man to stop...after all...most others would have the urge to do so. Lotus, however, wasn't like most travelers and simply kept walking right past them. Not even bothering to wave hello...Lotus kept on his path. The guards looked at each other in a rather odd manner. They imagined the gall it would take to willingly attempt such an act...that or it was out of sheer stupidity. It was at this time that one of the guards spoke up.

Assassin-"Excuse me! Just where do you think you are going?" Lotus turned with a wicked grin upon his face and the confidence of a stampeding elephant in his eyes.

Lotus-"I am entering the city. What does it look like."

Assassin-"Now that was uncalled for, stranger. The least you can do is to be respectful."

Lotus-"Manners are for chumps and dead men...me...I am neither. Now, if you don't mind...heck...even if you do...I will be once again be on my way. Have a nice day." A fifth assassin heard the ruckus and stepped directly in front of Lotus's path. Lotus, now being cut off from his former plan, Leapt without warning, over the individual and attempted to continue on his way...but was once again blocked.

Assassin-"You will not be permitted to enter the city." To this Lotus's attitude turned from rational to irrational. He was once again told that he wasn't allowed and that tore at his strings to the point of no return. What can I say...he snapped.

Lotus-"Even the walls of Jericho fell, assassin...and who are YOU to tell ME that I can't enter?"

Assassin-".. There was no reason to respond...so he chose ignore this statement. On second thought..."Leave now, or die...stranger!"

Lotus-"Cannons to the right of them...cannons to the left of them...cannons in front of them...Volley'd and thundered. Stormed at from shot and shell...boldly they rode and well...into the jaws of death...into the mouth of Hell...rode the six hundred." It's The Charge of the Light Brigade...one of my favorites. You will call me by my name...I am Travis and I will gladly accept death in place of failure."

Edited by Black9

After splitting up with Travis, Samantha slipped along the city walls, a mere shadow moving through the darkness. She still didn't know how she did it or why it felt so... so right, but moving through darkness had become so easy that sometimes she could just skip a length. And even though it was still strange to see everything so clearly in black and white, she was getting used to it.

Suddenly she stopped; she saw a building a little higher than the walls wich would hide her from any guard partolling them – if there would be normal guards. Part of her hated not knowing what to expect but another part, her adventurer's spirit, loved it. There was no match for the thrill of getting out of an unforeseen situation without a scratch, except maybe getting into one. But even unforeseen situations were not always unpredictable – if this truly was a city of assassins they'd more than likely catch her sneaking around. From experience she'd learned that if you could take out one guard without apparent effort, the others would be so surprised they'd give her all she needed to get away – a few seconds.

She slipped a paralyzing dart between her lips, ready to launch it should it be necessary and then she calmly started climbing the wall. She'd almost reached the top when she could vaguely hear some commotion at the main gates and despite herself she smiled – she hadn't known Travis for much more than a day and yet his timing was perfect.

When after a few moments she still didn't hear sounds of movement above her she decided to risk it and hoisted herself up on the wall. Not seeing anybody, she quickly climbed up to the roof she'd seen earlier. As soon as she stood overlooking the area though, she felt a sharp metal point pressed against the small of her back and she could hear a voice whisper next to her ear, ”The reason why you have no idea how many have tried to enter the city like this is because none of them lived to tell.”

Clenching her teeth to stop the dart from falling from her mouth she whispered back, ”Then they weren't well-prepared enough.” As she spoke, though, she made herself shift through the shadows, reappearing behind the man. Even though her unexpected relocation and the strange effect this had on her voice must've been a weird sensation he moved immediately in a way that would've blocked an attack coming from her.

”I can see why they didn't survive.”

As she spoke the last word, she spat out her dart. The man tried to dodge it but either it was too dark or she was standing closer than he'd expected because moments later he slumped to the ground, unconscious, where she decided to leave him – minus one dart. By the time he woke up he'd probably be missed anyway and the city would be alerted to her presence. She'd have to hurry and hope that they didn't put her actions on Travis' bill.

Lotus soon found himself on the outer borders of the town...while a large number of the assassins that lived within the city...now stood before Lotus with a questionable stare. Lotus didn't know that to think. If they were going to attack...they'd have already done so. One thing quickly became obvious and that was they were waiting for something. If they were planning on bum-rushing him...he'd more than likely have to split...as he was overconfident...not stupid. Then again...perhaps they had something else in mind. Lotus was beginning to become bored...when a man boldly stepped forward out of the ever so dense crowd. The Assassin that stepped foward spoke in a respectful, yet deadly serious manner.

Assassin-"You have been challenged to the Circle of Death...you may of course refuse the challenge...this would give the signal that you will leave our city in peace. What is your decision?"

Lotus-"I would rather die on my feet...then live on my knees. I accept your challenge full heartedly... though you have little chance against a foe such as I."

Assassin-"Bold words, but we've heard them before. Talk is cheap, Travis...without the power to back it up...courage means nothing. As the name suggests...we will be dueling in a fight to the death. No mercy will be given once the challenge has been accepted and since this has already occurred...the challenge is now in place and we will now begin. Prepare yourself...Travis." Both the Assassin and Lotus then stepped forward. The Assassin gave an honorable bow, only to receive a mocking scoff in return. It was clear, by this point, that Lotus cared little for this man and the crowd could see this in his actions. The crowd fell silent as the duel began. Both warriors staring deep into the other's eyes. Neither made a move for a moment, when Lotus spoke out with a poetic tone.

Lotus-"Half a league, half a league,

Half a league onward,

All in the Valley of Death

Rode the six hundred.

'Forward the Light Brigade!

Charge for the guns!' he said:

Into the Valley of Death

Rode the six hundred."

The assassin, taking this as it was meant...charged Lotus with an intent to kill. Striking out Lotus's way, however, he found that he'd hit nothing. Playing it back in his mind...he could see his fist set up perfectly. His knuckles were all but set upon Lotus's nose...it was then when he noticed it. A blur passed by him and Lotus's position had changed. Could Travis had really been that fast? Perhaps it was a fluke. Striking out a few more times, the blur was seen once again, only this time he made contact. Lotus fell short as he received a pound to his stomach. The wind was knocked out of him for a precious few seconds...just long enough to make Lotus chuckle.

Lotus-"Forward, the Light Brigade!"

Was there a man dismay'd?

Not tho' the soldier knew

Someone had blunder'd:

Their's not to make reply,

Their's not to reason why,

Their's but to do and die:

Into the Valley of Death

Rode the six hundred.

This time Lotus stood still as the assassin came charging. The truth was...he'd not felt pain for some time and this was a time to savor. Not that he would show it if he was hurt as his personal code...the modified code of the Elemental Assassins forbid the shame of public weakness. He would rather die than break such a code. Receiving a sweep to the foot, Lotus leapt backwards; this was only after he heard the sound of a dagger being drawn. Landing the backflip with decent enough composure...Lotus noticed a lock of his hair fall to the ground. The moment this happened...the duel turned...it was one thing to knock him in the stomach...but it was quite another to mess with his do! The crowd stood in wonder as Lotus's eyes turned from a blue to jet black. Lotus had entered what he likes to call Berserk Mode. In this mode Lotus was seemingly unbeatable. His skills doubled...his observations were now that of the best and before long, he could predict every move his opponent may send his way. The down side to this was that his energy drained at three times the normal pace and a warrior with no strength was all but dead. Not to mention that fact that Lotus's brain waves focused entirly on winning the battle. They focused so much on this, that he would do anything...go anywhere if it meant he may take victory over his foe or foes.

Lotus-"Cannon to the right of them,

Cannon to the left of them,

Cannon behind them

Valley'd and thunder'd;

Storme'd at with shot and shell,

While horse and hero fell,

They that fought so well

Came thro' the jaws of death

Back from the mouth of Hell,

All that was left of them,

Left of six hundred."

The assassin, now growing tired of this, stromed at Lotus with all he had. Blow for parry...dagger striking out, only to be evaded...it all seemed so different then before...so...much more dangerous! Lotus's jet black eyes stared down the gaze of the incoming assassin with the will of one hundred men...never wavering...never backing down...never stopping! It all came to a halt as the assassin struck out at Lotus's chest, forcing the Elemental Assassin to cross his arms and block the blow. The sheer force of the strike forced Lotus to slide back a foot, but by then it was already too late. Lotus had now figured the assassin's style down to the very essence of its beginnings.

Lotus-"When can their glory fade?

O the wild charge they made!

All the world wondered.

Honor the charge they made,

Honor the Light Brigade,

Noble six hundred."

Lotus charged forward with blinding speed, his energy beginning to fade from the long battle. This was it...this was the time when a victor would be chosen. Lotus's charge was met by one of the assassin's own as they both leapt into the air...Lotus, now two daggers in hand while his foe with one. They met in the middle with a clash that would not soon be forgotten and both landed on the opposite end of the field seemingly unharmed. Lotus, now holding but a single dagger, stood as his hair played in the wind and sheathed his dagger at the very moment his foe hit the ground dead. His eyes no longer jet black, but rather back to their original blue...Lotus retrieved his fallen dagger from his vanquished foe and cleaned it on the ground below. Sheathing the weapon...Lotus spoke out in a confident manner.

Lotus-"I trust I have won the duel? Then I shall proceed on my original course." The crowd broke up as the city's citizens went about any and all rituals...honoring Lotus's fallen foe...as one individual approached the Elemental Assassin.

Assassin-"You may pass...for now...but we will be watching. For now you are our guest...but cause any trouble and that may very well change. Oh, and if you decide to get over zealous...I can see the weakened state your in. Without a good rest...I doubt you can pull that off again."

Lotus-"Your words are well noted." And with that Lotus set off for the inner city...his path now free to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving the body in a shadowy corner of the roof, Samantha quickly slipped across the rooftops. She'd gathered enough information to know in what area of the city her target lived, but she didn't have an exact location. Normally she wouldn't have worried about finding him quickly – as long as there were people who knew him around she'd be able to get the required information. But Rahkir was no ordinary city, that much was obvious by now. She decided that she'd try sneaking into a few houses this night and, if necessary, wait out the next day for a glimpse of him.

Quite some time later, she arrived in the area that her victim lived in – she'd made a careful progress through the city. She quietly lowered herself from one roof and opened a window. As she slipped into the house, though, she could feel that the floor was not made of ordinary wood and before she could raise her feet again, the bamboo floor emitted a loud creak. Cursing silently, she tried to get back out of the window, only to be knocked back in by a foot to the small of her back. With a roll she came back to her feet, the floor creaking so much it almost sounded like a melody. If the owner of the house hadn't been awoken by her entering the room yet, he was sure to be awake now – damn these silent guards!

"I don't know how you got past me, lady, but I'll make sure you regret it."

With these words, the guard moved in to attack. Seeing the blow coming, Samantha dodged it lightly. Hearing the floor creak behind her, she turned to face both her opponent and the door, not wanting to give the owner of the house the chance to strike her from behind. Maybe she could... with a quick roll she avoided another blow. When she felt a dagger flying past her ear she knew she'd have to get out quickly. The man who appeared in the door opening made her pause for a moment, though – she'd entered the right house!

Her assailant saw her pause and used the opportunity to slip a dagger into his hand and get in a swing at her. She hardly felt it, though, as she shifted through the shadows, letting Fir'nae slide into her hand and into her victim's neck with one smooth movement. Now it was the guard's turn to pause, which gave her the precious seconds she needed to get to the window and shift to a roof across the street. What she saw there made her glad she could blend in with the shadows...

Meanwhile, while Samantha was sneaking through the city and before the incident at hand...Lotus freely walked the streets of Rahkir with an entirely too proud smirk. Lotus had always retained vast skills in observation...this being the case...the very citizens of the city gave Rahkir's manner away. It was also clear that Lotus was new to the city...this he could see in the eyes of every assassin he passed. Were the citizens truly as skilled as they seemed? Walking up to a nearby shop, Lotus entered and glanced over their selection of merchandise. It was then that he came across a pair of fine black shades...these shades even put his to shame. The lenses were tinted in a greenish hue...while the frame was jet black. Taking the shades from the shelf, Lotus approached the salesman.

Assassin-"Welcome, sir and how can I help you today?"

Lotus-"I'd like to purchase this item, please."

Assassin-"The Jungle Cat line? Sir, you have fine and expensive taste."

Lotus-"How expensive are we talking?"

Assassin-"This particular pair...has many enhancements. The lense reflect glare with a ninety percent efficiency. The lense are also made from a material known to only shatter by exposure to an extremely high frequency. Its frames are made from a form of material that are virtually inpenatrable. Sir, you are looking at a cost of five hundred gold."

Lotus-"Five hundred? Tell me? Can I get a lifetime guarentee?"

Assassin-"Sir, if you manage to break this particular pair if shades...I will give you a two for one discount. Also...if you wish...I'll take your old pair for the trade in price of one hundred."

Lotus-"You have yourself a deal." Lotus pulled a small bag of gold from his back and place it on the counter along with his old pair of shades. Both items were appraised before the newly acquired shades were handed over to Lotus's ownership. Donning his new look, Lotus left the shop and eventually found himself next to a wall of the city. It was then that he came upon a building a little higher then the wall itself and decided to investigate inside. Why did he do this? He wasn't sure...perhaps he was just curious as to the granduer of its height. Lotus checked out the building only to find it to be seemingly empty. Taking to the roof with one smooth motion, Lotus stumbled upon the body of an assassin in one of the shadows.

Lotus-"What's this?

Assassin-"Your handy work I take it?" The voice of a man came from another roof top as Lotus turned and stared him in the eye. It was clear that this meeting would not go well, as the elemental assassin was both seen with the body and in the hidden location...one where most failed to pay attention.

Assassin-"We told you that we'd be watching you."

Lotus-"This is not my work. If it had been...this man would be dead!"

Assassin-"Sure...that's what they all say. Preapare yourself...Travis...it's time to meet your maker!"

Lotus only laughed as the man leapt his way and struck out at Lotus with a smooth and accurate blow. Lotus evaded the strike with a last second turn of his head and sank a dagger firmly into his back. Hiding the body in the shadows of another roof top...Lotus cleaned his dagger and resheathed it in a cool manner. It was a good thing that assassin was taken off guard...or it may have been a fight much like the last. Under the impression that he was still being watched...though unsure of this assumption...Lotus quickly jolted away from the crime scene...or in his terms...justice. Lotus's direction just happened to be the path that Samantha had taken...only at a much more vibrant speed. Some time later, around the time the incident with Samantha took place...three humanoid bodies were seen in the shadows outside Rahkir's gates.

Duke-"So, you say Lotus scurried off to Rahkir?"

Bonnie-"Yes, we tracked him to this location."

Clyde-"We have the runt now!"

Edited by Black9

• 2 weeks later...

There were other, even more sinister things moving through the night than elemental assassins. The Shades were once humans but had left their humanity far behind after an extended stay in the plane of Shadows. These once mighty people had fled with their entire city to avoid its destruction and had returned only a few years ago – even mightier.

Nothing can stay in the plane of Shadows for such a long time and not become corrupted – which is exactly what had happened to them. They had become creatures of the night who took even less kindly to outsiders than the people of Rahkir... if an outsider came into their city they simply killed them right away. The reason why they had not done this to Samantha was because they'd tought that she was one of them. They'd figured out that she was not because her behavior was... different. She kept a human slave without chains, and her way of addressing others was just not right. Still, they'd been intrigued enough by her to let her live... at least until they could figure out what she was. That's why two of them were now shifting through the city, staying close enough to Samantha to observe her every movement.

Apparently, the assassin who'd followed her in hadn't been acting alone – she could make out at least seven others searching the shadows in such a way that an ordinary human wouldn't be able to slip past them. But she was no ordinary human... she shifted through the shadows, ending up behind them.

“She certainly is using her abilities well, think you not?”

“Aye, she is. She could pass as one of our own.”

Samantha had only been to the city of Jaegerran once, but she knew those soft, grating voices like a blunt blade attempting to slice through silk and they sent a shiver down her spine. She knew what she'd see when she turned around : at least two dark-clad humans, only taller and thinner and with a skin slightly more gray than that of the average human. She turned around. She'd been right.

They stood looking at her with expressionless faces and the way she could hardly see them told her that the assassins of Rahkir wouldn't be able to see them at all.

“Samantha Wilder. Why did you visit our city? You could've saved yourself and us a lot of trouble...”

Samantha replied in an equally soft but rather much cooler voice.

“I had to, and you know it. For all I care you and all your spell-slinging companions could go back to the shadows where you belong as long as you quit following me.”

“You know that is something we cannot do... yet. Why come you not with us, complete our knowledge about you and be free again?”

“Come with you? To your cursed city, I presume? You know as well as I do that I wouldn't leave it alive again.”

The moment she noticed the second one was gone she knew it was too late already but she tried shifting nonetheless. To her surprise it worked! A few rooftops further she appeared again, immediately picking up a loose stone she found lying around. Then she shifted back so she'd stay in the middle of the assassins searching the rooftops. Because she was waiting for it now, she could actually feel them step out of the shadows behind her, right in front of the assassin that was heading her way. She threw the stone to the floor amidst her feet and shifted again, leaving the surprised yell of the assassin behind her, together with the hissed curses of the Shades. That should keep all of them occupied for long enough to give her time to find a place where she could rest during the day.

For the first time...thoughts started coming to mind that he could actually lose. These thought were quickly shoved aside, though, as the Elemental Asassin's monsterous ego took over. After the last incident...Lotus knew that that he'd have anything but an easy time traveling this city...and he wouldn't have it any other way. Lotus couldn't help but chuckle as a few assassins gave chase...where it was true they were fine hunters...the Elemental Assassin was a powerful prey! Lotus, tired of his tactical retreat...quickly came to a halt upon the dusty streets of the city. Upon the assassin's halt...dust filled the air in a massive cloud and by the time it had settled...Lotus found himself in the middle of a three pronged attack.

Assassin 1-"Give it up, Travis! You can't escape!"

Assassin 2-"This is our city. Our eyes are everywhere!"

Assassin 3-"As we told you before...we are...watching you." Lotus couldn't help but laugh...if they truly wanted him as an enemy...if this was truly their wish...then who was he to stand in the way of progress? Lotus turned one of the assassin's way donning that of a slick smile. Coolness washed over him like a moth to the flame as he slowly turned away and ran one hand through his hair. By the time his doo flopped back into place...Lotus had already began to speak.

Lotus-"Slick moves...I must say...but you come nowhere near my level of cool. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Reaper is always one step behind me...and this gap...he will never completely fill. It would appear that I went and have gotten myself in check. Don't get me wrong...this little game of chess is far from over...I used to be a champion in my time..." Lotus said in an entirely too mocking a manner. "It's your move now...better make it a good one."

Assassin 1-"It's time to show this fool just how wrong he is."

Assassin 2-"This is no mere game were playing."

Lotus-"Fool? You're the fools...thinking you have even the slightest of chances against one as suave as I?"

It was with these words that the festivities commenced. Lotus leapt into the air with amazing speed as one of the trio of assassins thrust a blade his way. The blade barely missed its target...when yet another strike came the assassin's way. Turning in mid air...Lotus was knocked in the chin by one powerhouse of a jump kick...the force of the blow sending him into a back flip that was amazingly landed with ease and prestige. It was at this time that the third of the trio had come in for the kill...only to be stopped dead in his tracks as a large vine grew in his path. With much ease the assassin ran up the side of the plant and leapt backwards on the vine's peak...landing with a clean thud upon the ground. Lotus could see that the use of magic threw them off...it threw them off just long enough for the Elemental Assassin to produce three more vines and catch the three hunters in one fell swoop. It was at this time when Lotus started to wonder where Samantha ran off to. Deciding to wrap this little party up...literally...Lotus waved good-bye to his little onteroge with but one last phase.

Lotus-"Catch ya on the flip side...hommies!" With this Lotus was dashed away at an amazingly high projection. He did so until something hit him. No, it was not an object...more like a feeling. Quickly coming to a halt...Lotus looked around with the curiosity of a cat. His eyes saw nothing...yet he coud tell...he could tell that something was amiss. Quickly turning the way of a seemingly empty alley...Lotus followed the feeling...he was gettiing closer...he could feel it in his heart...not to mention his soul. Perhaps it was the hunter in him, but the old boy couldn't help it. Samantha knew someone was tracking her...though she wasn't quite sure who. The Towns people would have too hard a time and would have to give up before too long. If it was the Shades...however, before Samantha had time to react...Lotus popped onto the scene with the stealth of a jungle cat...but even jungle cats make noise of some fashion or another. Samantha turned just in time to become aware. Where it was true that she could have easily avoided the blow...assuming Lotus was going to strike...that was. Samantha stood still...attempting to see just how well Lotus could track her. If worst came to worst...she would simply move aside...allowing him to pass by. Lotus came to a halt but a foot away from his target..and stopped.

Lotus-"You can come out now...I know you're there."

Meanwhile, back at the outskirts of the city...the trio of Elemental Assassins began to approach the front gate. It had been quite some time since they last visited. Lotus...it would have appeared...was out of the loop back then...too bad for him. Approaching the front gate...one of the assassins recognized the trio and welcomed them accordingly. Giving an honorable bow, the assassin began to speak.

Assassin-"Greetings my long lost friends and what brings you to our city?"

Bonnie-"We've tracked one of our own to this very location...tracked him to your city."

Clyde-"This man is a miscreant...he went rogue some time ago...Lotus must be stopped."

Duke-"We ask for safe passage within your walls. Lotus has commited a heinous crime...deserving the penalty of death."

Assassin-"If you desire safe passage...then that is what you shall receive. I would ask, however, that you control your magic while inside the walls of this vacinity. Even friends of our order must obey the laws of the city." The trio nodded in compliance as the guards moved aside...thus allowing the Elementals to pass. Once inside, Duke turned the others way and in a commanding manner...seeing as he was their newly appointed leader...spoke.

Duke-"Alright...now we begin. We will find Lotus faster if we split up. Bonnie, you will take west wing. Cyde...I want you to comb the east...myself...I'll strive straight through the middle."

Bonnie and Clyde-"..."

Duke-"What are you waiting for...people...Christmas?" (Sorry...I couldn't resist...I'm weak that way.) With this asked...the trio split into their own separate sections. With both the Elemental Assassins and perhaps...the Shades on their tail...well...one can say that trouble lies in both Lotus's and Samantha's future.

Samantha was impressed... the only ones she'd seen coming so close to her when she didn't want to be found were the Shades - and she was sure that Travis was not one of them. She would've felt it. Calmly she took a step backwards, then a step forward again while she let herself blend out of the shadows. Samantha's sudden emergance cut off Lotus's thoughts in mid stream and instead focused them in an entirely new direction.

Samantha spoke in a voice soft as silk, almost like the Shades but without the grating quality.

"I must say that I am impressed by your skills, sir Travis. However, I suggest that we leave. Now."

Just as Travis was about to react, Samantha interrupted him again.

"Or wait... maybe we should stay in the city. Find a safe place where we can stay for a few days at least, right under the assassin's noses where they won't see us, but where they'll be close enough to come to our aid. I'll explain later."

With those words, Samantha turned around and started walking away, her footsteps completely soundless. Lotus scatched his head in curiousity. What could Samantha have been talking about? Could it have been something that...the great Black Lotus could not take down? To this the assassin gave a chuckle...as if there were beings more powerful then himself! The very quandary was perposterous! Tossing this thought aside...Lotus donned a smug smile as he followed Samantha ever deeper into the depths of the alley. Samantha, noticing this smile..could easily tell that Lotus didn't take this as seriously as he should...but that couldn't be helped...at least...not yet. The converstation...if you could call it that...continued as they walked and talked.

Lotus-"If you have not stood in the graces of Death...you have not truly lived...M'lady." Samantha's pace quickened as Lotus easily matched it. Thinking soundly on the assassin's responce...Samantha replied in a soft manner...so as to not give their location away...for this very mistake...could well be their last.

Samantha-"Are saying you welcome Death? Upon his knock...would you indeed answer the door?" Lotus responded to this inquiry with a dead serous tone. His voice hardened as though the professionalism within him sprung to life in some major way, shape or form.

Lotus-"What I am saying, M'lady...is that the old fool has knocked at my door too many times to count and I have answered that door each and every single time. Death is always one step behind me and this will never change." Lotus's answer surprised Samantha. If he was truly this reckless...then he must have been truly skilled in his arts...that, or lucky. The seriousness of Lotus's tone soon wore off completely, as he spoke in a low, but somewhat more normal manner. The jests of the bard quickly returned as as Lotus continued.

Lotus-"Life's a game, M'lady. One can either play or refuse...myself...I choose to play." Samantha's pace quickened until it evolved into a full blown run. Shadows loomed over the alley as if they were alive...as if they had a will of their own and could emerge at any given point. Located upon the left wall of the alley's enclosure...an opening was seen by both participants. The opening was that of a bashed in and splintered door. This door was covered in dust and was self evident that it had not been used for some time. Lotus took the lead as he quickly and fearlessly entered the building...Samantha following close behind.

Lotus-"Born in darkness...living in darkness...such is the fate of the assassin. It is the only true constant...as in existance alone it exists not. Feared by many as the root of all evil, but what is good...without evil? If murder is truly spawned by that of Satan...then what is justice...if not another form of murder?" Turning Samantha's direction...Lotus donned a smile and spoke in an inspired voice. "I entitle this ballad. .."Wrath of the Black Lotus...an Assassin's Story." If the best place to hide was truly right out in the open...then can it not be said of of truth? Truth? Lotus spoke of this as if he knew what it was. The sad fact remained that the truth is an ever changing constant. Long ago the Earth was flat and this was the truth of the time. The truth changed sometime later as it was discovered that the Earth was not flat, but actually a sphere. If Lotus lied to himself for the rest of his life...and passed that lie onto others...would that lie then become the truth?

Lotus-"Keep in mind, it's a work in progress. Other than that...what do you think?"

• 2 weeks later...

Samantha took her time to think before answering. While she was thinking, she went through the room to make sure nobody, or nothing, was hiding there. When she finally did answer, her voice was still soft.

"I assume, sir Travis, that you are not asking me for comments on rhyme, rythm or other such things? I have to admit that you have some interesting points, but are you saying that an assassin is always evil?"

This time it was Travis' turn to think, and while he did so Samantha and he went through the rest of the building - because you never know.

“M’lady, an assassin is neither evil nor good. Does he not slay the warlord as well as the king? What then would you consider his alignment?"

Samantha looked up, surprise showing in her face.

“I have known many people, but only a handful who thought like that. It is… remarkable in a bard, for none of them were.”

“To write of your subject, you must become your subject. You must know the fashion in which they think… feel… you must know the very nature of their being. How could I believe otherwise?”

Samantha smiled lightly. “I have a feeling that you have studied your subject very … intensely.” As they finished searching the last room, though, her attitude changed suddenly. “This place looks safe enough… if we both stay in this room it’ll be easier to guard.”

Travis gave a silent chuckle to the response as they both sat down. Without having to discuss it both of them realized that it was best not to make a fire – Travis knowing that it would give them away, Samantha not needing one anyway.

“And why, pray tell, are we in any need of a safe haven? I never pictured you as one who was willing to give in to life’s troubles… life is only worth living when standing within its passionate flame. Is this not true?”

Samantha relaxed a little, not letting her guard down though. She knew all too well what could be looking for her at this very moment. When she answered, she was looking straight at Travis.

“No, I do not give in… I merely change my mind sometimes. But I know what is likely to find us even here and I have no desire to fight both of them, much less go with them. Nay, I prefer to be prepared and avoid fights I cannot win.”

In the darkness, Travis noticed that there was something different about Samantha’s eyes – and he realized that he’d seen it before. When they were still outside the city he hadn’t really noticed, but now he saw that her eyes were completely white orbs. He decided not to mention it, though, since it might cause tension where none was needed. Besides, there were more important issues now.

“I can tell from your tactical use of the word “them” that there are more threats than just the city’s inhabitants. Am I correct in my assumption?”

“The city’s inhabitants are no threat… not to me, not really. Tell me, sir Travis, have you heard of the Shades? Do you know the mighty city of Jaegerran?”

Travis raised one eyebrow as he was well intrigued by this new tidbit of information.

“I know not of this city you speak of, m’lady, though I believe it deserves a ballad or two?”

“Aye… the history of that city would probably need more than one ballad to describe it although I’m not sure that I would like to know it. And I believe that you would not be able to study your subject very intensively here. The Shades are… reclusive, even more so than the people of Rahkir. One cannot simply become one of them, for they are not quite human anymore. What I know of them is that they are creatures of the night and darkness, deadlier and harder to catch than an entire assassin’s guild. What I also know is that there are at least two of them near, searching for me, and that we need to be wary at night.”

At this point, Travis interrupted her.

“Two? You mean that a mere two beings bring you into hiding? I don’t care who they are… show me to them, so that I can slay them on the spot!”

Samantha shook her head.

“That would not be a very good idea… first, the two of them together could take on quite some foes, second I for one could do with some rest and third I have no idea of where they are.

Hearing rest being mentioned Travis suddenly felt a bit tired himself. What the assassin didn’t take into account was the non-stop battle he’d been involved in ever since he’d entered this city.

“Rest? It doesn’t sound half bad, really. Though I doubt they stand a chance even in my weakened state.”

Samantha smiled – Travis really was overconfident.

“Then I suggest I take the first watch. Should you, on your watch, see anything moving in the shadows where that cannot possibly be, it probably is something moving in the shadows where it cannot possibly be.

“A response as cryptic as it is witty… sounds like something I might come up with. Though the fact remains that one such as I never has the luxury of sleep. Thus at all times I am forced to sleep with one eye open. This time, however, I shall trust thee and sleep as I would back home. See you then.” With this, Travis got to his feet and found a corner within its darkness he vanished.

Samantha herself got up and blended in with the shadows, moving through the room with her unheard steps as she kept her guard up for the Shades – she wasn’t about to let them surprise her when she knew they were around somewhere. As she moved around, though, she took care never to stray too far from Travis so that she might wake him up immediately should the need arise.

The Shades, meanwhile, had had not much trouble getting away from the assassins. They’d put up a short fight to allow Samantha to get away – they’d been suitably impressed by the way she’d tricked them into revealing themselves. When they got bored they simply shifted away, intending to come back another time… in the nearby future.

Meanwhile, while all this was happening, the Elemental Assassins never gave up on their search for the futigive known as Lotus. Bonnie, the self proclaimed huntress of the clan's remaining members...searched out clue after clue. Hidden within every nook and cranny and adjusting to various techniques along the way...the Assassin of Water sought out her target...this was when she stumbled upon the alley in which they were located. Lotus was near...she could feel it in her bones...one could also make such an assumption by a mere glance toward her daggers...which began to glow in the fading darkness. The brilliant shine of the sunrays echoed across the ever expanding length before her in a marvalous array of refracted colors and wavering patterns. The morning had come...a new dawn had arisen and new prospects had soared through many lives within the city limits. Bonnie cared little for the sight however, as she became ever more focused on her revenge. She began to ask herself what she would do if she happened to run across Lotu's path. Would she choose to end it quickly? This would give her a higher percentage of actually completeing her task...on the other hand...Lotus deserved a slow and exruciatingly painful death. Bonnie couldn't decide as she was torn from one option to another...the steady stream of thoughts and feelings grated at her soul with every cycle that passed by in this seemingly endless loop. It was like this until she came across an old doorway...within its interior, Bonnie could feel the sensation of another clan member but who? The problem with this sixth sense was that she could never picture who it would be...whence they finally met.

Meanwhile, back within the room's interior, Lotus had awoken from a short rest and was ever ready to take his turn at watch. It may not have been that long a period, but the assassin couldn't quite recall the last time he was given the luxury of true sleep. There was always something wrong...some danger that could have very well been lurking around the next corner. Most of these perils were brought about by his own kind...by his own clan. Truth was, Lotus deserved every bit of what he'd gotten. He'd been a real scoundrel in his past...when he wasn't being paid to take down warlords...or some self rightous king...Lotus spent his time searching for amusement...wherever it may be located...or whatever fashion it may be appropriated. This was not to say that Lotus was a mean guy...he was actually quite gracious to his friends...that and he would save the world one day while dooming it the next. It was around this time that both Samantha and Lotus heard a russel just outside. The russel evolved into a short flash of light that bent the way of Lotus's general location. A strike was given on the assassin's precise coordinates as Lotus jokingly made the sound of being hurt by the incoming blade. Samantha would have reacted if Lotus hadn't of popped out of seemingly nowhere and spoke.

Lotus-"Meet Bonnie, self proclaimed huntress of the a highly secretive clan known to the world only as the Elemental Assassins. For those who haven't heard of, or don't know who or what I am talking about...I'll explain later. So, Bonnie...where's Clyde?"

Bonnie-"He's around...so...Lotus...who's your little friend? Does she know?"

Lotus-"What Bonnie so blatantly stated...was...that she believes me...but a humble bard...to be the former owner of this uniform." Samantha didn't know what to think as the duo went at it...though it was obvious that Lotus didn't take anything serious enough.

Lotus-"Leave my friend out of this...this is a matter between you and the former owner of this uniform...aka...Lotus."

Bonnie-"Friendship is a weakness our kind have little use for...please...allow me to liberate you of such a weakness." Samantha readied herself as Bonnie stared her way with a glare perhaps given by the Reaper himself. Before this battle could begin, however, Lotus intercepted Bonnie in the central point between them...giving the assassin a blow to the stomach and halting her movement.

Samantha-"Travis...I..."

Lotus-"Stay out of this! I don't want to be the key factor in your demise." Lotus turned Bonnie's direction once more, only to find a dagger at his throat. The dagger being firmly held in the grasp's of the Assassin of Water. It was now that perhaps one of the elemental assassin's greatest weakness's reared its ugly head...their pride!

Bonnie-"First, I will slay you where you stand and then I will tell your little friend of your real identity. To think...the infamous Black Lotus...brought down by little old me?"

• 2 weeks later...

Samantha realized immediately that Bonnie was savouring the moment, that she'd obviously been waiting for it for a very long time. Travis, or Lotus, or whatever he was called, apparently thought that it was all a game – he didn't appear to see her hatred, the longing in her eyes to kill him, the doubt between killing him quickly to make sure that she'd get the chance or killing him slowly to make him feel every inch of the way to death. She'd seen it before, and she knew that it was a greater weakness than friendship.

Lotus, meanwhile, knew that there wasn't anything he could do – not with the cold steel of a dagger already against his throat. He knew that he was faster than Bonnie, but their positions took that advantage away.

"Tell me, Lotus, how does it feel to know that you're about to die?"

While Bonnie was gloating Samantha let Fir'nae slip into her hand. She shifted herself behind Bonnie, putting Fir'nae against her throat in the hopes of creating a stalemate.

"Ahh … so your friend decided to ignore your orders? Too bad she forgot one thing, though, namely the great speed of an elemental assassin."

As Bonnie spoke the last word her arm holding the dagger flashed backwards, the dagger reversing for a thrust into Samantha's stomach. Caught off-guard by the incredible speed Samantha stumbled backwards, clutching her stomach, Fir'nae slipped back into her sleeve somehow, almost as if the dagger had done so itself.

"So … fast …"

Brought to her knees by the pain of the wound Bonnie's dagger had caused, Samantha didn't see Lotus using that one moment to get away from Bonnie.

Lotus could tell from the sound that Samantha was injured, but knew not how deep the wound was. Now this was there the line was drawn...it was one thing to threaten his life, but to threaten that of a personal friend...that was going too far! Flipping backwards in a very acrobatic fashion, Lotus immediatly took off upon his landing...Bonnies attention already split between the duo...she failed to notice the striking blow of Lotus's foot sinking directly into the small of her back. The sheer force of this action sent the Watery Assassin to her knees...where Lotus most desired her!

Lotus-"How does it feel to live on your knees? How does it feel, Bonnie!"

Bonnie-"I remember, not long ago...in a sense...forcing you into a similar posion. The difference between you and I? I don't require back up to finish the job!" Quickly sending her body into a tactile spin...Bonnie delivered a clean sweep to Lotus's legs, therefore sending him into a rather clumbsy tumble. Rising to her feet, Bonnie lashed back with an almost instant turn and downward strike...the strike holding enough force to create a small notch with the once location of the Earthly Assassin. Taking avantage of a sudden burst of agilty, Lotus rolled out of the way and half fliped into a once again horizontle posion. Now taking up a slightly more serious attitude, both assassins stuck out yielding their complete and available skills. The blows cancelled each other out of all four daggers struck a chord upon contact and were sent hurling through the air toward some unknown location. With heavy breath the duo stared directly into each others...while at the same time attempting to both fortell and counter every remaining possible attack.

Lotus-"I can see great hatred within your eyes, but you have to realize that I am not your enemy. I am not the man that once inhabited this uniform...nor am I the one that slew your leader in the not so recent past. I am merely a traveling bard...simply becoming my subject in every way shape and form." The glare within Bonnies eyes was unwavering most definitely out in the open. If she could spontaniously combust Lotus from within...it would be taking place at this very moment in time. Lotus, however, still donned a slightly more comical atmasphere. What could he say...life is game...you can either givein or strive forward for a better tomarrow. Bonnie, taking into consideration that that she was out numbered, exuted a slight chuckle and spoke with a soft voice.

Bonnie-"We will meet again, Lotus and next time I'm going to finish the job I started on your little friend." A flash filled the emptiness of the room as all four daggers that formerly lay upon the floor had vanished...Bonnie no where in sight.

As Lotus hurried over to Samantha she slowly got to her feet, clutching her stomach. When she spoke, she paused in pain every now and then.

"Don't worry ... I'll be fine. But they know where we are now ... we must leave."

Lotus shook his head.

"She won't come back until we had a chance to rest. She wants a challenge, just like the others."

"Good... then tell me ... who are you? Travis, or Lotus? Bard, ... or elemental assassin? Or both, for it is often said that ... the best lies are hidden ... in truth."

Lotus donned a look of confusion as the question was asked. Who was he? Travis or Lotus...traveling bard or Elemental Assassin? This was a loaded question and it required a loaded answer. Where it was true that this sort of thing had happened in the past, it seemed so much more simple. With Bonnie and the rest of the Elemental Assassins so...heartfelt in giving Lotus's identity away...he would have to go beyond lying...beyond the truth and take a position somewhere in the middle.

Lotus-"To tell you of my true identity, I must attempt to regail you with a story taken from my past...while in the process informing you of my enemy and why you don't want to get mixed up with them. It all happened a long time ago. I was off galavanting...in search of my next ballad...when I stumbled upon a town located in the middle of seemingly nowhere. Ever since I was a child, I was told of a town built, owned and operated by a special breed of assasssin...an Elemental Assassin. "Elemental Assassin have developed a fashion of combat unique to themselves", my mother always told me. "They possess a speed of such high intensity that it would be difficult for one such as you or I to determine their exact location." I always thought this a lie...a story told by a parent to their child to lull them to sleep...little did I know that this lie would turn out to be the truth...if that makes any sense whatsoever? From afar I set my gaze upon this city of legend...the thoughts of a rather famed assassin literally running through my mind." Taking a seat upon a nearby, but half torn apart stool...Lotus continued.

Lotus-"I told you once of a uniform I found along the side of the road...this is the very uniform I adorn at this very moment. It was entitled "The Legend of the Rogue Assassin". It told of an assassin yielding the powers of Mother Earth...an assassin that left the santity of his coven and basically did as he pleased. In his search for amusement the Black Lotus held an alliance to nothing and no one. Half the world cheered his name as he saved their towns from a terrible evil...while the other half cursed him for doing quite the opposite. Once donning his uniform, I took on every aspect of this man...this...Black Lotus. He was called the Black Lotus for one very good reason...he left that particular flower upon each of his victims...this was his calling card. Day after day, I practiced in his style of combat...eventually gaining his once speed and similar skills. Who am I, you ask? There are times when even I do not know the answer to this question." Lotus gave a short but noticable chuckle and then continued one last time.

Lotus-"Some call me by my real identity...Travis, the wandering bard...others see me as Lotus, the famed assassin himself. You may address me as either...as I don't really care anymore."

• 1 month later...

Samantha nodded wearily, standing up a little straighter than before, not clutching her stomach so hard anymore.

"So you claim to be both ... I'll accept that, for now. From your stories I would say that you are a bard, from your fighting skills I would believe you being an assassin, so why not both at the same time? I'll stick with calling you Travis, though."

Travis gave a brief chuckle, but noticed that Samantha seemed to be speaking a lot easier, almost as if she wasn't injured.

"So, M'lady ... now that we have the time to rest, how is your wound?"

Sitting down again herself, Samantha answered, "Don't worry about it. It's not as serious as it looked. And now that we've fought together, you can start calling me Samantha as well."

Travis shook his head.

"It was serious, I know Bonnie... when she strikes, it's serious. But I believe that's not your only gift, is it, Samantha?"

Samantha looked at him with those strange, white eyes, some green starting to shimmer through where the irises should be. Maybe because there was some sunlight filtering through cracks in the walls by now.

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I'm not blind, and I am used to great speeds ... but the speed with which you moved to Bonnie was greater than even an Elemental Assassin would've been capable of." Looking Samantha straight in the eyes, he added, "And I noticed how your eyes change at night as well."

Samantha nodded.

"Aye, 't is true, I do have other gifts, although I cannot use them when there is too much light. Do you remember what I told you about the Shades?"

Travis nodded briefly.

"I have some of their abilities, though I am not nearly as powerful as them. That is why they are looking for me, to find out how I acquired these abilities and why I am not one of them yet, for they know that I've had them for quite some time now. The only reason I'm not cooperating is that I know enough about them to be sure that being questioned by them would be ... unpleasant."

"Then why don't we destroy them? I'm sure that we could get rid of them by killing them."

"No. The two of us together could probably kill one of them, but two of them together? You've seen how I move - and they're better. A lot better. Besides, even if we could kill the two that are on my trail, they would only send more."