The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Colbey Carlistinsson

Solivagus

The door to Scarlots office opened, revealing a tall human. His black hair was cut short, and he was dressed in plain brown travelling clothes. His piercing blue eyes swept the room and came to rest on Scarlot. He paused for a moment, and then entered the room and approached her. As he approached Scarlot noticed the hilts of two swords rising over his shoulders. Solemnly Colbey bowed to Scarlot.

"My name is Colbey Carlistinsson. I have come to apply for membership to this guild."

Scarlot handed him a sheet of paper and a pen. "Write down your advantages and disadvantages" she said brusqly.

Colbey moved over to the desk and began to write.

I am a skilled swordsman, able to wield two swords at the same time. I also have rudimentry healing skills. However, my code of honour forbids me to wear armour or to use magical items. I am also forbidden to use any weapons but katanas and long swords. Any battles I win are won purely by my own skill.

Colbey frowned at what he had written. It seemed a bit short, but he could think of no way to improve it. Shrugging slightly, he handed the paper to Scarlot and waited for her verdict.

OOC: *sighs* Your characters haven't failed, your guild leaders have! Please feel free to prod me with a pm any time. I simply forgot and didn't realize I still had an application unanswered. Forgive me, I'll get to both of these by this weekend and please in the future do not hesitate to pm me. I get busy sometimes and forget I have something like that waiting for me.

~Salinye :fairy:

OOC: I've just been informed by an impartial judge (who'll remain nameless) that it would be...innappropriate to call my character Colbey Carlistinsson due to the Renshai Chronicles. As a result, his name has been changed to Ensifer. My apologies for the mistake as well.

Edited by Solivagus

• 4 months later...

“Alright, go find a room in the underground. I’ll read over it and get back to you. ” Scarlot said distractedly as she read from three scrolls almost simultaneously. Ensifer lingered a moment, and when Scarlot showed no sign of noticing he was still there, he turned and left.

Some time later, Scarlot worked her way through various arcana and paperwork to come to Ensifer’s application. It was short, so she decided she could give it quick read-over right now. She snickered a bit when she got to the part about a code of honour, but rationalized that no serious combatant would refuse to wear armour for honour’s sake alone. Whatever Ensifer claimed, everyone was at least something of a pragmatist, and he probably needed to be light and mobile the way he fought. The honour was just an afterthought. As for the magic, well, unfortunately everyone couldn’t be a mage.

He was a healer of some sort, though with stitches and poultices or some form of magic apparently not forbidden to him, the application didn’t say.

And fighting with two swords at once was a difficult thing to truly master. If Ensifer was as skilled as he seemed to think, he’d be useful, if not, he’d get himself killed. That would have to be resolved as soon as possible. Scarlot resolved to sent Ensifer on a mission soon, and accept him into the AVV if he survived.