The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Clean Up

"All right boys lets get this done with. You know the drill" The comander's voiced boomed into the headset build into my helmet. I groaned a bit, another clean up mission, I could tell the rest of the team was as tired of this as I was, I could even tell the comander was tired of being cooped up in the small Comand Console that we had brought down onto the ship with us. A few Kharaa infest a ship, kill a few crew member, and we gotta clean em' out. I slamed a clip into my TSA issued Light Machine Gun and loaded a bullet into the chamber as the HUD flashed across my visor.

My eyes soon ajusted to the display as I quickly read the info, "One clip in the gun, three spares, vital signs at one hundered precent,...damn the motion sensor's offline comander."

The comander's voice once again boomed into my headset, "Yeah, look like the ships main computer is out, one the bright side the nano grid is still up we can transport our own in"

One of my teammates, Vrinn Perin, butted in, "Yeah cheif but that cost money, TSA ain't gonna give no creds to this lil' team" It was obvious from the man's accent he was of Irish decent.

"Yeah yeah Perin, I know how it works, but there's a few resource nodes on the ship if we can get some nano-sludge we can build whatever we want. But first lets get the bare necessities."

I watched as an Armory appeared before in a flash of light, it still amased me how fast the nano grid could build something out of the spare minerals in the air, changing the minerals into metal and building the sturcture one molecule at a time. I also noticed the small counter that displayed our current funds for this missions went down by 25 credits.

"Uh boss, it isn't on..." Devin Silvius, another teammate, said as he banged his gloved fist aginst the machine, a large clang echoed off as metal hit metal.

"Well duh Silvius, told ya the computer's offline we got to activate everythign by hand. Just punch in the acess code." Devin sighed a bit as he fliped open a panel revilling a small keypad, he punched in a long code and hit enter. The armory flashed to life, a soft hum singling that it was online and creating ammo, the top slid open to revleal a huge cashe of light and heavy machine gun clips, shotgun shells, and large explosive bullets for the grenade lancher.

"And now I get to play Santa boys, Merry Christmas kids." The comander laughed a bit and soon equipment appared at my teammate's feet.

"Nothing for me boss?" I said in mock disapoinment as I grabed a few more light machine gun clips.

((Thats all I'm doing for tonight, tell me what ya think))

"Alright, lets go blast some ugly buggers!" Devin said loading shells into his new shotgun, Vrinn doing the same.

"Good idea, acording to the briefing they should be north in the main control room, but it seems the air-lock between there is broken. Look like one of you boys are going to need to weld up the hole in there. Thats where you come in." I heard the comander type a few keys and in a flash of light some equipment spwned at my feet. A small welder and a air tank attached to a small breather mask. I shouldered the tank and clicked the breahing mask onto my helment, I also took my pistol out the holster and replaced it with the welder. I gave a nod to my team-mates singaling I was ready and we began our trek north. We soon reached a door at the end of the large storage bay we're we had set up base, the door made a slight creak as it's sensors picked up our presence and automatical slid open. The team was greeted by a pitch-black only the small spark from the broken overhead lights gave a small flicker. The team flicked on their built in flashlights in unison and the hall was soon iluminated by the three beams of light, revaling the borken floor panels and wall pipes, as well as a few blood stains.

"Poor bastards, probaly never saw them coming..." I mumbled, my own voice sounding muffled and strange thru the mask. Vrinn now took the lead, steping slowy with his gun in the ready postion, we were going to see them coming. We each followed closely behind him our guns drawn as well.

Each of us jumped as we heard a lound creak and a large section of pipe crashed to the floor a few inches away from Vrinn.

"Holy shit!" he screamed out as I felt a small needle pierce my skin from inside the suit, I suddenly felt myself relax yet my sences were still keen. TSA drugs, build into the suit, whenever my vital signs showed signs of action they we're admistered, to keep us calm in the most dangerous sitation. Shame they were wasted on this.

"Dammit! I hate when that happens! I swear those bloody aliens break those pipes on purpose!" Vrinn fumed as he kicked the pipe out his way.

"Now even the 'chill drugs' can get rid of that temper..." Devin mumbled beside me, I held back a laugh as we continued down the hall.