The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Shiny!

Avatars of freedom. . .that's got a nice ring to it

Valdar grinned as he stepped into the wide gulf, sheathing his sword as he did. In the distance, tiny pinpricks of light illuminated the far trade routes as they approached "Tar Sigil" or "Lesser Sigil as it was called in these parts. A merchant outpost for interplanar travelers, very impressivley named, considering. . .

The city was certainly ugly from a distance, and almost grotesque close up, having being hollowed out of a long dead Levethian sometime in the distant past. Already an ugly creature in life, death and subsequent disembowelment had not significantly improved it's appearance. A permament cloud of waste and refuse lingered in the weak gravity field, along with the not so occational corpse.

Life is short on the Planes.

Valdar stepped off his path and onto the main highway, allowing most of his more lethal defenses to fade in case some overladen merchant jostled him by mistake. He could sense the grail from here, but the random movements of merchant traffic had garbled the trail beyond hope.

Hmm, where to start

The guard blanched at the scarred apparition that reached up to tap him on his thick shoulderplates.

"Have you seen this her?" it asked, the illusion of a dark skinned woman dancing on his outstreched palm.

The watchman recovered quickly, and frowned.

"Can't say she looks fammilar, Perhaps if you could provide a name?"

"She may have given her name as Sherisseren of Tlenor"

Guard shook his head again, "Ummm. . .sorry m'lord-dont remember any Sher's entering town in the past week."

The elf nodded an ear, and vanished into the crowd.

This is a disgrace, why'd they even hire mortal guards out here anyway? they can't remember anything past breakfast and the place is overflowing with disgraced celestials and-

"Valdar!"

The Planewalker's ears jerked in suprise, at the fammilar voice, and turned to it's source in astonishment.

"Why Kitanue, I wasn't expecting to see you here."

The angel returned his grin. She had changed little since Valdar had last seen her. She was beautiful, as all angels are, with lustrous grey wings that framed a voluptuous body. She was significantly better-endowed than a battle angel, and covered in barely enough black silk to obscure her assets. A young man stood impatiently by her side, whom Valdar ignored as she stepped almost toe to toe with him.

"Nor was I. It's been a while, Shinyhunter, nearly fifteen years by the Anvil? what tempts my faviroute apprentice Planewalker back from the borderlands, hm?"

"You, actually" he lied transparently.

"Liar" she teased."Come visit later?"

"Only if you've not raised your rates"

She laughed, "For an old friend why not? I'll be at the Scarlet Feather after the Eighteenth hour."

He nodded. Tugging a compliant ear down and kissing it lightly, Kitanue and her customer faded back into the busy street.

Grail. Right. It's definatley nearby, but to reveal my purpose would send every hero, mage, sorcerer and his one winged parrot after it. I need an Oracle to burn, or a gaggle of seers to bind.

He settled on a score fortune tellers and a lot of gold.

Contrary to it's name, the Four Winds was a stuffy little winehouse in one of the quieter quarters of Tar`Sigil. Carefully shielded against the foresight clouding effect of mana fluxes and drinking binges, the insulation had to be padded with focus-crystals and deja-vu absorbing paint. Finally, the unstable mass was sealed in anti-scrying matter. Overall, it had the appearance of a giant tinfoil egg.

In fact, so much had been spend isolating the delicate clairvoyant fields from the outside world that little had been left over for simpler luxuries, such as. . . Say, air vents. Thus, the overpriced tavern where the forsighted of Lesser Sigil clustered to read patterns of fate had a decidedly rancid air about it.

Valdar was impressed. The tavern was half empty by the time he got there, those with third sight of any clarity having long since retreated to their rooms. Even the Bartender, a particularly ignorant breed of Ogre shuffled uncomfortably behind the counter while removing breakables from sight.

The fates tended to change wildly in the presence of Planewalkers, usually in the direction of a very messy death.

So, Shinyhunter-business or pleasure first?

He considered this a moment before replying, "Pleasure, of course."

The Angel smiled, and handed him a glass before folding her wings and settling into a well worn chair.

"Did you really push poor Asin`Hijah through the wall at the Four Winds?"

A grunt. "He was being. . .stubborn. Just because I was the Dreamer's apprentice dosn't mean I go around burning prophets and Oracles, let alone waste power immolating petty fortune tellers. Well, not here", he conceded. "And I'm not even looking for prophecy, just a direction."

"Oh? Direction to what?"

"A shiny, of course! It's . . .it's. . ."shiny the elf trailed off dreamily.

"Men are more free of tongue when tired, I noticed. Perhaps if I could know what it is you seek. . .?" She asked delicatley.

"Oh, I didn't say already? it's the Grail! I never imagined it to be so shiny. From here I can feel it sparkling somewhere, and it passed through this reigon not too long ago but the tracks are too muddled for me to read."

Valdar didn't notice the slight change in Kitanue's expression, her smile becomming slightly more fixed and her eyes wary.

"Which grail is this? There must be dozens floating around the multiversum."

"Hm? THE Holy Grail, of course. The greatest shiny in the multiversum"

"Oh, _that_ Grail. Why'd you want it for?"

Valdar's train of thought derailed rather spectacularly at this point.

"Um. . .because it's shiny?"

She began to laugh.

"So, the newest Planewalker in the MUltiverse lusts after the one cup of power that will bring him glory. The chalice that so many others seek to rule chaos, bring back the dead, or any number of planeshattering reasons. . .because it's Shiny?"

This line of questioning was starting to get emberrasing.

"Well. . .ya I guess. The Dreamer needs it too, and I do owe him, but mmm, Shinyy. ."

His eyes glowed happily.

"Yer becomming more and more planetouched each day, Valdar." If that was a referrence to his growing power, or this obsession was not clear.

After a long silence, she continued. "You said that you followed it here. Where did you track it from?"

"Tlenor. Did you feel it blow up from here? There weren't two rocks one could stack on the other within a hundred miles of that place."

Kitanue's expression became openly alarmed. "Tlenor? when?"

"A month or two ago. The armies of law overran the place and the Dreamer blew it up-but not before the Grail escaped."

"What!? but the Grail is. . ." She trailed off, realizing what she just said.

It was Valdar's turn to be suprised, and both ears jerked to an upright position. He stared at her.

". . .still in the cloud, and has been two centuries." The angel finished softly.

• 2 weeks later...

"What?"

"The Grail! They moved it!"

Kitanue was on her feet, and digging through a pile of old clothes.

"They must have taken it off the paths-all the paths to and from Hellwind Fortress are being watched"

"How you know the Grail is in Hellwind Fortress?"

"Because that's where they brought it after taking it from us!"

Kitanue grunted, and an ancient shielded chest slid out from under the pile of silk and leather. She kicked it open to reveal a curved Archangel sword and circlet. Her eyes clouded over a moment when she saw the sword, but she took the weapon with a firm fammilarity.

"This was Aurel's sword." She said softly. "You met her."

Valdar was standing now, ears tilted in bewilderment.

"Kitty, how-"

Her voice was pleading now. "There's no time to explain, Valdar. They could be moving it again as we speak. I will lead you to the chamber in Hellwind to claim the Grail and other shinies, but I must have the Grail after. You'll have found your shinies. . .and I'll have found my Redemption."

The Planewalker considered this.

"Very well . . . on condition you allow me to capture a small part of the grail's light in crystal."

Kitanue nodded grimly, and placed the Circlet over her head before marching to the door.

"Kitanue, wait."

"There's no time! We must leave NOW."

Valdar indicated his agreement with an earnod.

"Aren't you a little under-dressed to be assailing a demon fortress?"

The Angel blushed.

"ShinyShinyShinyShinyShinyShiny-"

"Slow down pointyears. My wings aren't what they used to be."

The elf slowed. "Sorry. Would you rather I carry you?"

Kitanue gave Valdar a withering look, and flapped her wings faster. "You realize I've not flown more than a mile in the past decade?"

"Hee. . .getting chubby around the wings?"

She laughed, and pointed. "You may want to stop and mask our presence before the crossroads yonder. Hellwind is heavily warded, and anything greater than some minor demi-god is crushed by a demon stampede before even reaching the plane."

"Mmm. What sort of place is Hellwind? I thought it was just a minor demon fortress on the edge of the cloud."

"It's a near perfect hiding place. One way in, one way out. The chamber of the Grail is a Lawfully aligned vacuole inside Hellwind. Not even the Knights of the Grail can feel its presence this far out. The upper levels are filled with minor imps, and have been stormed by heroes several times already. The real keep is far better protected, and underground."

"I assume we'll need to cut our way through several thousand imps, then?" Remarked Valdar sourly. "Disguised?"

"We're in luck-a secret army of Heroes passed through Little Sigil a week or so ago bound for Hellwind. Sixty warriors, and some twenty Sorcerers I beleive. If we could disguise ourselves as heroes, we could join them and slip away once we reach the seal."

"If the army was secret, how did . . . oh."

Kitanue winked at him and slowed as they approached the crossroad. "Heroes like to brag. Do your Planewalker thing, pointyears-and mask our swords too. Your blade reeks of evil."

Valdar nodded, and began his chant. The angel pulled two daggers from her pack, and strapped them to her wings as a white mist obscured the pair. The mist collapsed, converging into their new shapes, and became solid. Valdar looked much the same as before, the main difference being his voidspun armor now a dull rangerly green, and eyes muted. Kitanue on the other hand, took on the appearance of an Aasimar Amazon Elf, wearing only slightly more armor than they had managed to buy inconspicuously before leaving. The angel carefully folded her wings, concealing the knives.

"I learnt this from a Succubus." She explained. "Demon footsoldiers sometimes get carried away . . . As they did with Aurel."

Valdar hugged the angel sadly, and activated his transportation sphere. Kitanue did the same after a moment, and the pair started the slow run of mortals to Hellwind.

"And watch tchinks we wunts thwee more off you?"

Valdar resisted the urge to correct the barbarian, but allowed Kitanue to handle the matter. Falling into his role as the silent ranger, he stood back and admired a true mistress at her work. Using a combination of light, almost accidental touches and a soft tone, Kitanue very rapidly persuaded the Berserker that indeed the services of another ranger and Amazon would be essential.

"Are you sure you're not half Succubus?" He projected telepathically.

The elf grinned as a wing swatted his left buttock.

Introductions were quickly made, and Valdar declared himself Tarah the Black Arrow, while Kitanue named herself Anueth the Amazon. As it turns out, there were four "The Destroyers", ten "The Warlords", and at least six other "Black Arrows". Those were mainly dark elf assassins who glared at the ranger spitefully. Kitanue was quickly adopted by a small clan of equally underdressed Amazon spear sisters, while Valdar shooed off into the ranks of archers.

The elf took his place beside the other equally silent rangers sitting around a cold fire and started examining his ancient Stonewood bow. Looking across the camp, Kitanue was getting a far warmer welcome. The rowdy Amazon camp was centred about a raging bonfire. She smiled back briefly before returning to the non-stop discussion of sisterly conquest. The Planewalker sighed.

The others nodded.

"I know what you mean man. It's too noisy here. Nothing like the good open land with only you and the wind."

The group nodded silently again.

"At least we dont have to sleep in tents. The open sky's as good a roof as any."

Valdar chanced a glance upward. The sky was a hellish red, and looked ready to rain blood. The others were nodding, eyes downcast as they continued their own quiet brooding.

He wanted to scream.

Edited by Valdar and Astralis

The next morning

He awoke from meditation drenched in blood. It HAD rained during the night. The only consolation to the fact was that most of the Heroes had fallen over drunk outside their tents as well. Across the camp he saw Kitanue rise unsteadily, leaning on another Amazon in a comradely manner. Blood didn't stick to her Angelic skin he noted sourly, but at least he didn't have a hangover.

He grinned at her. This time, she glared back before bending over to sort out her armor. . .which had somehow come off during the night. A trumpet sounded, and a vast groan rose from the ranks of snoring heroes. The gloomy camp of rangers began stringing their bows, and the sound of retching soon filled the air as the heroes tore themselves from the red ground.

"This is Bloodbath," One of the rangers was saying. "It came from a creature in the Abyss. Any arrow fired from it becomes bloodthirsty, and causes massive bleeding."

The others nodded approvingly. Rangers seemed to communicate a lot with nods.

"Behold Black Ire. I pried it from the dead hand of an a Demon Stalker. The soul in the bow stave guides the hand that wields it to strike his target no matter how distant."

His comrades made the appropriate signs of approval.

"I crafted Silver Serpent from the spine of a black dragon I slew, and bathed the stave in the waters of Tranquility. The arrows fired from this bow fly faster than any other, and penetrate more deeply before exploding with dragonfire."

The other rangers looked at Valdar, who faltered a moment, and decided on the truth.

"I bought mine from a cat standing on a barrel in flea market."

The trumpet sounded again. All around them, beady-eyed heroes and sages began drifting slowly towards the assembly ground. The Ogre in charge of the raid was bellowing something in the order of "Weez smish GUD!!!" when the Planewalker took his place besides a very red eyed Kitanue.

That was an. . .interesting show you had going in the Amazon camp last night Kitty.

I can't remember. . .what did they put in that drink?

Testicles in brandy, I believe. Amazons have strange beliefs

There was more retching beside him.

Your show of sisterly bonding was also most enthusiastic. . .and affectionate

Did I break our disguise? she asked worriedly.

Hardly, they seemed to welcome it. I was worried you'd ask for payment though. THAT would have been out of character.

The angel started cleaning her wings, pointedly ignoring him. The ogre had stopped shouting at this point, replaced by an ageing Paladin elaborating on their approach to Hellwind.

"Dis muh fren ol Beroen. HEZ got gud brainz."

Valdar squinted at the wrinkled old man encased in heavy plate with a slightly wild gleam in his eyes. The Paladin wobbled to his feet, and drew his sword with some difficulty.

"All right men! Today. . .WE SLAY THE DRAGON!!"

He sighed inwardly as the old man gestured with his sword.

"Our brave archers will FILL THE AIR WITH ARROWS! THE BERZERKERS AND AMAZONS will scale the walls AND SWEEP OUR FOES AWAY!!!"

Valdar noted there were six archers.

"Then our Valiant Knights will charge the gates AND SMASH THEM TO THE GROUND!"

The heroes cheered, and Valdar looked around. There were twelve horses, all of which belonged to the spellcasters.

"What about us?" One of the braver enchanters called out.

"STAND YOUR GROUND, SERF! WE RIDE NOW! CHAARRRGE!!"

This is going to be fun. . .

Valdar squinted at the demon shapes on the walls. The red morning fog was starting to burn away, a diabolical caustic mist from the blood rain. With his normal sight, the elf could barely make out the shape of lesser fiends and their wardogs. Scurrying about the battlements with enormous longbows were the distinctly ape shaped Imps. Towering above these were the bird-like Shedim and their captains. The Planewalker delicately extended his supernatural senses, bringing the defences into sharp focus and penetrating the outer wall. He cursed under his breath. Waiting silently behind the walls were seemingly endless ranks of Ghouls, the reanimated corpses of the fallen heroes who had tried to take Hellwind before.

Finally he adjusted the spectrum of his eyes to examine the wards on the gates. Through his voidsight, the runes of strength and repulsion burned pitifully on the iron door. For an instant, something moved in the distance. A large energy signature appeared briefly before vanishing behind the chaotic scatter of nearby demons, but not before he identified it. Valdar quickly withdrew his magical sight before the demons detected it.

Kitty, we have a problem

I can feel them-we may have to break disguise before reaching the seal. The idiot intends to charge all the way to Hellwind without spellcasters.

The ghouls we can deal with. There's a Balrog in there

A long silence.

This complicates things a great deal. How deep is it?

Right behind the ghouls.

We may have time then. . .or not.

Over the hillock, the trumpet issued it's brassy challenge. Moments later, a disorganized mob of heroes rose ponderously over a ridge and charged. From a mile away, and without the proper signals from the scouts.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA RIDE MY KNIGHTS! RIDE TO SLAY THE DRAGON!!!"

The twelve horsemen charged past Valdar's position, well ahead of those on foot. He stood and shrugged off the dust cloak camouflage. Following suit, the other rangers rose from their place of concealment and raised their bows at the wall.

"The Blood of Anräöñ!"

"Black Ire guide my hand!"

"For An`trěma the green goddess!"

"Bloody hell, RUN"

The defenders fired their first flight of arrows, filling the air with black darts against their six. Nem`Ikhanel fell, the golden archer of the wood pierced by dozens of shafts. Miraculously unscathed, the other four started picking off defenders. One imp would fall, but two would instantly leap into the gap. Valdar strafed sideways, losing arrow after arrow at the bird demons. An arrow pierced his illusion and bounced off his void armour. The charge was almost to the gate now. . .or part of it. A full third of the riders had been unhorsed, their mounts unsuited to dodging arrows. Several figures lay still in the red earth with the horses.

The rest smashed into the gates with a resounding crash but little effect.

Then, the counterstroke came. From the battlements, birdlike Shedim spread their wings and dove into the crowd of men and horses. Shrill bird cries mingled with screams of horses and men cursing. Magical swords wailed their songs of death and rending. The first wave was vastly outnumbered. Buried under a mass of demons, they retreated into a valiant but futile last stand by the gates.

"YIELD! YIELD, FIENDS! THE POWER OF GOD COMPELLS YOU! THE POWER OF..AUUUGGGHH!!!"

Certain of victory, the demon horde pressed the attack. In their bloodfrenzy, the Shedim never noticed the next wave of heroes approaching until a rain of javelin cut down more than half their rank. Advancing behind raised shields, the Amazons covered the Berserker charge with missile fire. The Berserkers shouted their insane warcries and cut through the demon ranks like wheat under a scythe.

Squawking in terror, the remains of the Shedim tried to take flight only to be cut down by bowfire. Steel grapples and ropes were fired over the battlements and the assault started in earnest. The Amazons rapidly scaled the walls and began laying about them with spears and pikes. Without siege weapons or some method of scaling the walls, the Berserkers demonstrated their impressive strength by tossing each other over the battlements.

In the distance Valdar saw Kitanue's distinctive shape half climb, half fly up the rope. She landed lightly on the wall with her sword already red. She paused a moment, and her mind reached out for his urgently.

Valdar! Those ghouls are bad news. Some evil holds dominion over the spirits of the dead.

Undead heroes?

Not quite, but bad enough. As soon as those doors give, they're going to flood the area.

Valdar looked with some alarm at the Knights and Warriors beating on the gates with their weapons. Most of the runes had already faded.

We need those casters NOW.

The elf cursed, and vanished into the Astral.

"Oook! Oook!"

Kitanue smoothly sidestepped the blow and clove through a Shedim captain. In the same motion, the Angel bashed an imp behind her with a wing. The creature fell screaming from the battlements. The walkway around her had been transformed into an ocean of blood and gore from demons attracted to her angelic aura. Sensing more opponents behind her, Kitanue spun around with her Katana raised. The first imp tried to leap inside her guard, but was knocked off the wall by a leather clad breast. She muttered something very un-angelic and split her next target from crown to groin. Instinctively she ducked just as a flight of arrows meant for her swept the other assailants off the walkway.

Kitanue furtively readjusted her armour and looked around. The battle for this section of wall was over. Of the twelve Amazons half had fallen, their broken bodies surrounded by mountains of slain foes. She estimated demon casualties to be in the hundreds. Another flight of Shedim passed overhead. Two fell to bowfire, but the rest landed on the other side of the gatehouse where seven Berserkers were still clearing their portion of wall. The Angel spread her wings and flew down to a group of Assassins with short bows.

"The Berserkers are being overrun. Go support their rear!"

The Assassins drew their blades and ran to the walls. Kitanue flapped her wings again and glided to the main Assault on the gates.

Valdar sidestepped out of the Astral, and ran to the camp. He briefly considered his options and settled on the fastest.

The camp was in disarray when he arrived. Having being dismissed offhandedly by Beroen and their horses taken, the spellcasters milled about aimlessly. They were listening to a ranting enchanter going on about an infinite supply of blue diamonds from the fourth hell. Valdar took a deep breath, and mustering all authority against lesser beings and puny planebound mortals said-

Come with me.

The voice of compulsion didn't quite work he intended, and the elf broke into an extended fit of coughing. The spellcasters turned to him dubiously. He mastered his voice at last and commanded, weaving thin threads of compulsion and hidden weight into the words.

"Loot for those who follow me."

He had their attention now. Valdar opened a hole in reality linking the campsite to the battle at the gates. Wordlessly, he led the spellcasters through, leaving them to ponder the act of high magic performed by a ranger.

"Forward! For the Hammer of Light!"

The Berserkers roared in response, and Kitanue led the charge directly into the wall of demonic feathers. Her first blow cut through two Shedim and broke the wing of a third. The backswing sent a beaked head flying. A Berserker fell heavily against her wings, almost unbalancing the angel. A crude sword bounced off her blood-soaked wings. She flapped her wings to give herself some space, smashing the demon down with a thick wall of feathers. Around her, the surviving Berserkers shouted their insane warcries as they cut their way through with magical axes and hammers. Over the sounds of battle, she was dimly aware of the splintering sound of wood from the main assault below. Suddenly the demon in front of Kitanue fell forward with a scream, clutching it's side. The solid wall of demons opened to reveal the ten heroes she had summoned to reinforce the Berserkers. She smiled wanly, exhausted. The battle for the walls was over.

Then the gates below exploded with an enormous crash, unleashing the undead legion of Hellwind.

Valdar!

We are here.

The Angel looked up with tired eyes. Less than two hundred paces away, Valdar waved. Twenty spellcasters were arrayed behind him, druids, sorcerers and priests ready spells waiting for his word of command.

The ghoul army lurched forward, demolishing what was left of the gates. No shambling zombie army this was. Animated with malicious skill, each contained the twisted fragment of a slain hero. They leaped forward with inhuman dexterity and skill. The unprepared assault faltered under the weight of savage undead. Six warriors died immediately, and the others fell back.

Valdar issued a word of command, and a wave of anti undead spells crushed the first ranks of ghouls. Kitanue glanced over the walls at the surging army within. There were at least two thousand. More spells hit the gate, bathing the walls in a holy light. Her illusion crumbled under the divine illumination and turned to mist, while the undead burned under celestial fire. Still they rushed forward mindlessly, some clearing the focus area and running towards the spellcasters.

"Fall back! Defend the magicians!"

The angel spread her wings and rose majestically from the walls. Her blood soaked wings and armour blazed a brilliant white beneath the divine illumination. She swooped in and cut down a group of ghouls threatening the spellcasters. Circling around, she brought herself to hover above the heads of the fleeing survivors.

"Stand your ground! The dead must not pass!"

Emboldened by her radiant aura, the heroes turned to face the forces of Hell. The Angel landed in their midst to organise a skirmish line. The heroes spread out, and were quickly reinforced by those returning from the wall. Spell after spell fell onto the gates of Hellwind. Flaming hammers fell from the heavens, and celestial lances pierced the endless ranks. Hungry earth opened, claimed the dead as it's own. The stink of battle was soon replaced by the reek of burning mana. In the confusion, Valdar sneaked in a spell or two of his own. Burning clouds filled gaps in spellfire, turning undead into ash as they tried to break out of the focus.

His disguise sagged under the intense mana fluctuations. Here and there, patches of multihued chain mail showed through the dull green disguise. Still he held on, willing the disguise to remain, knowing a break would reveal his presence to every demon in the pits.

An eternity passed. Sporadic spellfire lit up the red sky filled with ash and dust. The gates of Hellwind had been reduced to molten rubble. Plumes of smoke rose from the remains, and parts of the ruin still glowed. Valdar sat down heavily on a rock. He ignored the odd look some of the Wizards were giving him- A ranger who could open portals and invoke drifting fire. They wondered if the world had gone mad.

Valdar didn't care. No demon stampede had been forthcoming. The illusion had held.

He heard a soft flutter of wings, and Kitanue landed by his side. The Angel's face was a mask of exhaustion.

"That's the last of them. The way to the upper levels is clear."

"There's more?"

She shook her head and was silent a long moment, as though gathering the energy to speak.

Your Barlog is probably up there. Upper Hellwind is usually empty a few days before reinforcements arrive from the Abyss.

"Perhaps a hundred or two footsoldiers remain. Nothing we cannot handle in the morning."

She gestured emptily around them, where less than twenty heroes and eight spellcasters lay in exhausted slumber.

interlude

Shadow stirred in the night. No watch was kept, for indeed there was no need. A few leftover ghouls lurched in the darkness beyond the sanctuary, too weak and too few to penetrate the wards. Too tired to enter even the lightest of trances, Valdar snored softly with his head resting on Kitanue's shoulder. The angel snored back in counterpoint, resting in turn on a heavily made up magician. A chill wind blew through the camp, bearing scents of otherworldly carnage and death. Heroes stirred uncomfortably in their sleep and swords were fingered. The fire faltered under the unnatural breeze, and died.

In the darkness, three shadows moved.

"What is this, sister? This is not Angztbaa"

"Are we lost, sister?"

"No."

"Why are we at Hellwind, sister? We are far off course"

"Why do you think, sisters? I am bored of the little games you play in the sky."

The right most shadow moved towards the sleeping elf, revealing a naked elf. The other two followed.

"Wars are-"

"Wars are boring. The two of you have dragged me around, visiting your ugly pawns and cold castles. It's been too long. Far too long. Yesss. . ."

The slightly transparent woman kneeled before Valdar. Her ears twitched in a predatory manner.

"This one is not useful, sister. It is far too young. Perhaps when it is grown you may use it as your pawn. Come now."

"This is boring, sisters. Let us go to Angztbaa-chaos is due for a minor victory."

Instead, the naked elf flickered, and turned solid. She hissed, and ran a long bloodstained fingernail down the Planewalker's cheek. The other two drew back in panic.

"Aie! You step into the flow of casualty. Pull back, sister before it is too late!"

"What are you doing, sister?!"

The elf pulled Valdar forward, tearing his void mail open. She licked her blood red lips and stroked his ear with her own.

"MY turn for fun, sister"

The battle had been won at terrible cost. Well over half the heroes had been slain, most beyond mortal resurrection. The number of survivors had grown during the night as lingering spirits were reunited with their bodies. The undead retreated as dawn burst over the mountains, howling in pain as they ran for the shadows. Feeling wetness on her breast, Kitanue woke to find Valdar missing. Instead, a Barbarian had leaned over his empty space and drooled all over her. She pushed the snoring man away and rose. His head immediately fell into the lap of the Magician beside her. She flexed her wings a few times to work out the kinks and looked around. Valdar was nowhere to be seen. There was a small trail of blood leading away from the sleeping heroes. Pulling a dagger from under her wing, the angel followed the trail behind a fallen tree, and blinked in surprise.

Still snoring soundly, Valdar lay naked in the dirt. His illusion was still intact although his clothes had been torn away. Kitanue leaned closer, and noticed his ears were covered in small bite marks. Similar marks appeared on his shoulder, and his lips adorned with red smudges. The Angel rubbed her eyes to make sure she was awake, and gently nudged the sleeping elf.

"Valdar?" she whispered.

"mmngh, nosso hard. . ."

She nudged him harder. Instead, he turned on his side and curled into a ball, revealing unmistakable scratch marks on his back. He groaned. This time, Kitanue took him by the shoulders and shook the elf.

"Wake up!"

"Mrrgshinwuzzat?"

"Your clothes are torn. You're covered in lipstick and scratch marks, and I didn't make them"

Valdar's eyes flew open in surprise, and brought a hand to his lips. Kitanue rolled the elf over despite his protests and examined the scratches on his back carefully. She placed a hand over the marks, closing her fingers until they covered them, and made an experimental raking gesture.

These are love marks, or I'm an imp.

What?

She took a deep, patient breath before continuing.

You weren't at the camp when I woke up. There was a trail of blood leading to you, and it's not your blood. Something took you in the night and made love to you.

I dont remember anything! he protested.

It couldn't have been a succubus-I would have known and so would you

Just then, there was a blood curdling scream from the campsite. Kitanue and Valdar looked up in suprise.

Get dressed She ordered before standing and running for the camp.

The heroes were staring at the Barbarian who had been leaning on Kitanue for most of the night. In turn, he was staring at the magician with a look of utmost horror. She demurely adjusted her dress, and walked away. His haunted eyes followed her every step. Kitanue stopped beside the berserker.

"What's wrong?"

He said nothing for a long moment, before tearing his eyes away.

<edit>: Due to several time constraints, Shiny will be continued next week-apolagies for the two rushed posts. I had to get them out of my system, or suffer less-than-two-posts-a-week concience attacks \^_^/ </edit>

• 2 weeks later...

With the gates demolished, the path to Hellwind Fortress lay open. Grim faced heroes marched down the narrow ravine with Kitanue in the lead. A funeral pyre burned behind them, staining the cloudless sky with plumes of black smoke and bearing away the sound of mournful dirges with them. The air grew thick with the smell of sulphur and brimstone as they descended. They encountered little resistance, mainly disorganized demons that fled the carnage on the walls.

Eight imps and a bunch of hounds around the corner. Remind me again why I'm doing this?

You're the only "ranger" left, Valdar. And your little trick at the gates has the spellcasters curious. You wont want to end up apprenticed to an enchanter, would you?

A mental shiver passed between them. From around the bend, Valdar whistled a shrill off-key note that only vaguely reassembled a bird cry. The heroes halted and several assassins ran forward, fading into the shadows as they did. A long moment later, the air was filled with screams as the Assassins infiltrated their lines and butchered the ambush. Silence followed, and Valdar gave a loud quack signalling the all clear.

Around mid afternoon, the company reached the end of the ravine. Carved into the granite walls before them were the black doors of Hellwind. The surface was deeply etched with demonic runes of strengthening and weight that burned darkly through Valdar's voidsight, obscuring anything that lay beyond. A gibbet stood on one side from which hung a decayed corpse in torn blue robes. A few strands of dark hair still clung to the eyeless head. Kitanue glanced at Valdar, who nodded grimly.

The heroes rested briefly before commencing the assault on the door. A few arrows fell their way, none finding a mark. Heroes ran forward and responded with a rain of bowfire, sweeping demon footsoldiers from the balcony. Necromantic spellfire struck the door, dispelling the wards while a team of rogues undid the complex lock. Kitanue ordered the heroes back, leaving only a skirmish line in front.

The rogues completed the job and the doors ground open reluctantly. A shrieking challenge issued from within, releasing a pack of snarling Hellhounds. The rhino sized demons surged forward in a wake of fire and smoke, driven by masked hunters. An avalanche of spellfire met them, freezing the hearts of a third. Icy lances ricoched off thick hides and exploded in a shower of razor sharp fragments. Caught between whips and ice, the hounds reeled madly and turned on their own masters. The counterattack turned into a rout quickly.

Valdar stood on his tiptoes trying to see over the armoured shoulder in front him. His short stature was not helping him keep track of the battle, voidsight and sixth sense obscured by the chaotic mana flux. The elf gave up and planted a foot on the ogre's knee guard. The hero did not seem to notice. Valdar had a brief view of the doorway until Kitanue shouted a command from the front. The ogre roared and charged, sending the Planewalker tumbling into the dirt.

"Ha ha! Ranger down!"

Valdar lifted his head from the dirt, burning eyes masked by illusion. The halfling that had made the comment snickered and sauntered off in the direction of the doorway. The elf pried himself off the ground and carefully looked around. Most of the spellcasters had vanished into the fortress already. A few arrows fell harmlessly from the balcony. Valdar very carefully focused a tiny pulse of magic into his legs, and took careful aim.

The halfling sailed over the balcony. There was the sound of a brief scuffle, and a scream. Then it was silent. The elf dusted himself off and strode into the dim passageway.

What was that? Kitanue asked worriedly.

Nothing.

Satisfied, Valdar dusted himself off and strode into the dim passageway.

Valdar very carefully stepped away from the puddle of acidic drool. Above him, the vacant eyed demon snorted, releasing a small cloud of noxious gas. As he looked up a small gnome waved apologetically, and jerked the creature by the horns to one side. Three of the four enchanters had charmed a demon by now. There was a yelp behind him, followed by a roar. The elf spun around to see another gnome scampering away from his out of control Hellhound. The beast shook its head in confusion, straining against it's spectral bonds. Pausing only to recall the crude spell, Valdar summoned a mass of vines from the earth that seized the demon's feet. Rooted, it fell over with a crash. The enchanter stopped a safe distance away and re-wove his word of command.

There was a hollow roar as the demon footsoldier, a full twelve feet tall charged down on them. Valdar drew his corrupted blade, but was waved back by the high elf.

"This one is mine! Agh`zagchbo-niilten, I command you!"

The demon footsoldier blinked and stopped in its tracks. The other enchanters looked at the high elf with respect. There were not many who could bind by mere force of name. The demon dropped its head low to sniff at it's new master, releasing a small cloud of caustic vapour with each breath.

It smiled.

"Actually, it's Agh`zagchbo-miilten"

The enchanter did not have time to comprehend this before exploding in a shower of gore. Valdar's unholy blade howled through the air, slicing open the demon's thigh. The beast roared in pain as chilling torment pierced into its veins. It rounded on him in anger, and the elf barley dodged a cleaving blow that shattered the flagstones. The ground exploded in a shower of dust and stone. Valdar rolled into a kneeling position and drove his sword through the demon's kneecap. Ignoring the pain, the demon raised it's cleaver again. Suddenly it staggered forward and dropped its weapon. The elf scrambled out of the way as it crashed into the ground, with two snarling hellhounds tearing bloody chunks from its back.

There was another bellow of pain in the distance, fading into a gurgling sigh. Two clerics ran over from the main body of heroes, and shook their heads at the red stain on the ground. They were down to three enchanters now. Rejoining the main force, the company advanced inexorably. With the bulk of their army destroyed at the gates, and their defences overrun, the greater demons of Hellwind retreated through the dim corridors. The heroes followed.

Finally, they stopped before a great door. Magical boxes and backpacks bulging with plunder were reluctantly set to the ground. The spellcasters looked around nervously, sensing the energy signature but not recognizing it. Valdar and Kitanue shared a grim glance. Both perceived how the laylines of malevolence joined, recognized the powerful nexus of evil powering the Balrog.

It moved, turning its gaze towards them. Even through the door the heroes could feel its overpowering malevolence, and shifted uneasily. Valdar calmly studied the lines of magic surrounding the Abysmal creature. The demon stared back insolently. Unable to penetrate his mask of illusion, all it saw was a mortal ranger and minor Angel, neither worthy of the briefest attention. Though he had never battled one before, Valdar knew he could have easily destroyed the demon with a single mind freezing blow. To do so however, would alert every demon in the pits of his presence.

"I WILL ENJOY RENDING YOUR BONES WHILE YOU WATCH MORTAL, AND YOUR WINGED LADY-OH YES, I WILL HAVE FUN WITH HER. I SHALL. . ." Images invaded his mind, gruesome and lewd. Valdar calmly broke contact, leaving the demon to rant in an empty part of his brain. Kitanue was less successful, and blushed.

"That reminds me. How did you intend to get us to the chamber of the Grail? You realize I cannot force a way through the pits."

"Huh? Oh. We're not going through the pits- She half turned back to the door.

"Never mind what it's saying. How are we getting in then?"

"Sorry. After the heroes leave, we will break the seal to create a diversion then-"

"Kitty!"

"He's distracting me! We will be entering Hellwind through one of the lava vents. If we find the right one, it's but a short run to the chamber."

"So this is all a diversion?"

"Yes."

The door burst open in splinters. Heroes charged forth into the unlit chamber as planned, and faltered involuntarily in the engulfing darkness around them. The spellcasters entered last with flickering eyes trying to pierce the shadow and failing. A chill gust dimmed the torches, and the heroes gripped their swords tighter.

Then a flicker of movement in the darkness, uncoiling with unnatural fluidness.

"HAIL, ANGEL. COME TO JOIN YOUR FRIEND AT LAST? VERY SNEAKY OF YOU TO PLAY DEAD WHILE I SQUEEZED THE LIFE FROM THE OTHER. . .WHAT WAS HER NAME AGAIN?"

"That. . .voice. I should have guessed. Show yourself, demon-I tire of playing games."

The shadow laughed malevolently. Two points of red light appeared in the black cloud beneath a single flame. The glowing eyes leered at the Angel, and the flame twisted into the shape of a burning crown. Cracks appeared in the shadow, revealing the hidden inferno and giving the darkness a shape. The shadows behind the demon melted and fell away as the wings exploded into fire, dispelling the darkness and bathing the chamber in a hellish glow. The Balrog rose to its full height in a cloud of vaporized shadow. In its hand was an enormous black sword, easily half the demon's height. The mere heat pulsing from its skin of lava made the heroes take a step back.

The first line of heroes charged, shields raised against the tremendous heat. Icy lances flew through the air, evaporating into clouds of vapour. Before they could reach the demon, the black blade screamed through the air and cut down the charge in a single blow. The second rank was thrown into the air from the impact. Spinning with inhuman speed, the Balrog smashed an unseen team of Assassins, and laughed.

"FOOL MORTALS! SOON ALL YOUR SOULS WILL BE MINE!"

The Balrog shouted something in a demonic tongue, and Valdar felt a wild rush of dark magic surge through the room. To his horror, the corpses of the newly fallen twitched and moaned. The Balrog charged forward, smashing another assault with it's foul blade. With wild fear in their eyes, the attack faltered, and fell back. With a few more swipes of its blade, the demon turned the retreat into a rout. Screaming heroes tried to claw their way over petrified spellcasters. Valdar loosed another arrow and turned to Kitanue helplessly.

Kitanue shouted something in the language of high Angels and charged. She flew directly into the rampaging Balrog, her Katana slicing deep into burning flesh. The Hellspawn turned to face the new attack, and Kitanue was driven back blow by blow, dodging or blocking with inhuman speed. She struck again in a spray of demon blood. The demon roared in triumph, seeing the angel overextended. It struck in one fell blow, cleaving halfway through Kitanue's body.

Instead of blood there was a flash of light. The angel fell limply off the demon's blade, in a blaze of fire.

"Kitanue, NO!"

• 3 weeks later...

"Kitanue NO!"

The angel fell of the blade in a trail of fire and crashed to the floor limply. Howling in delight, the hellspawn swung his blade at the elf. Valdar was too angry to even block, and the sword glanced off a hidden ear blade. The Balrog blinked a flaming eye in surprise. Kitanue lay in a puddle of blood and magic, glazed eyes obscured by a veil of pale hair and surrounded by ancient wards shattered by the blow. Even as he watched, her corpse twitched, feeling the touch of necromancy. The Planewalker tore his gaze away from the angel's body and focused on his foe. His eyes boiled a hellish red behind the mask.

Reality flickered ominously as his mind tapped the dangerous flow of primal energy. Again the blade fell, crushing wards and carved a bloodless wound in the illusion. Time slowed for the demon and Planewalker. The world around them grew flat, two dimensional and monochrome. Light spilled from the empty wound in Valdar's illusion, unable to contain the wild surge of magic he had held in check until now.

Within the dislocation of reality, the Demon perceived him for an instant. The brown clad ranger faded together with the irrelevant reality, replaced with an almost complete Planewalker close to his final change. Lines of magic framed his diminutive form, converging in a blazing orb of light that represented the sum of isolated space and time. The elf let his bloody eyes speak for him. He released the bubble and vanished in an onyx sphere before the Balrog could react.

"NO!"

The compressed bubble of space and time pulsed once, and the chamber faded in a shockwave of cause and effect. Torn out of time, the Balrog staggered backwards, leaving a ghostly outline gaping in horror. Pervasive reality crushed the bubble a moment later. The Demon had but a moment to behold its own spectre before being torn apart by the time rift.

Normality rushed in to fill the gap.

Kitanue shouted something in the language of high Angels and charged. She flew directly into the rampaging Balrog, her Katana slicing deep into burning flesh. The Hellspawn turned to face the new attack, and Kitanue was driven back blow by blow, dodging or blocking with inhuman speed. She struck again in a spray of demon blood, overextending herself. The demon's roar of triumph turned into a distant wail of horror, before it's body tore apart. The angel struck again but encountered no resistance, stumbled through a fine mist of demon blood.

Deep underground, mindless demons howled in confusion and directionless rage, forgetting what never happened. Valdar blinked a few times as the onyx shield dissolved, fixing the memory of what was in his mind.

• 1 year later...

"You really have no idea where you're going, do you?" Valdar demanded angrily.

A grin was his only answer as Kitanue neatly gutted another demon. Tentacled shapes reeled in the distance, sillouheted against the harsh light of the Abyss. Another squad of demons charged at them with an earth shattering roar. Unlike the lesser creatures above, these were the rank and file of hell's forces - bulging muscles rippling beneath red skin as they bore down on the pair. Valdar grunted the words of a spell, and pointed an ear at the nearest attacker. Two demons suddenly froze in their path, cracked and crumbled to dust that was blown backwards. Kitanue rushed forward with her ears laid back, decapitating one and kicking another in the groin. Her wing flashed over a third, and the creature staggered backwards trying to hold in its entrails. Valdar stamped up in irritation and clubbed the bent-over demon with a maul of pure force. His ears blurred, and the flash of a blade flew forward. A demon died clutching it's throat and another's head jerked backwards, eyes already dimming before a third of it's head slid off. The elf's ear absently snapped out to receive the blade, and sent it whirling into the melee again.

"Over there! The vacuole!" Kitanue shouted over the din. Valdar blocked a blow with his black sword, and unleashed a psychic blow that sent the surviving demons into terminal convulsions. Only then did he squint into the reddish glare. Perhaps a hundred demons milled around a hemisphere that somehow managed to absorb the hellish light to remain a solid black. It looked out of place amidst the demonic architecture, with no leering spires with gargoyles perched on them, nor twisted half-alive walls of tormented souls.

The small army of demons spotted them - a vanguard for their prize while the rest stampeded wildly in the surface world above. They saw the two figures, too small to be demons - one radiating the raw power of the paths, the other surrounded by an aura of flawed sanctity.

To a demon, they charged. Valdar turned to look at the angel with a raised eyebrow. She shrugged, raised her blade and rushed at the wall of horns and red skin. Blue wards blossomed into existence around them, and Valdar pointed his corrupted sword at the charge. A pulse of white energy flashed down the blade and smashed the front ranks apart. Burning body parts rained down on the survivors, but the stampede never faltered. Another pulse followed an instant later, ripping through the flank. The two charges met. Kitanue slammed into the broken stampede like a small tornado and plunged deep into their ranks, leaving broken bodies in her wake. Valdar's eyes narrowed in execration as he aimed at the other flank trying to close around the angel. A black orb flew from his free hand, striking through to the middle of the vanguard.

It exploded soundlessly, with a pressure wave too low to be heard. A cloud of tiny razor sharp shards turned a score of demons into a bloody mist and ripped through dozens more.

Only then did the elf charge. A few endless minutes later he was by the angel's side, the two retreating backwards towards the doorless vacuole. The surviving twenty demons were veterans, and pressed hard while spreading out to wear down their wards. The shield he had woven around Kitanue flickered uncertainly as another blow slammed into it. Valdar grabbed her shoulder and dragged the angel backwards into the black barrier.

Pain stabbed into the elf's brain as the last of their wards sheared away, and the two passed beyond the reach of time.

A feminine voice greeted them.

"Why hello whore."

• 2 weeks later...

Valdar blinked twice, then stared. The angel that stood before them could have been Kitanue's twin sister, if not for the oily black wings on her back. She was clad in heavy obsidian plate that left the head bare, her once beautiful face made pale and twisted into cruelty by the falling. A Katana of obvious power was gripped in her armored fist, with white flames reflected within pale metal. The inside of the vacuole had been crafted into a gothic basilica, far larger than it looked from outside. No pews lined the floor but each alcove contained a single statue of heroic proportions for past champions of the Holy Grail. Dim light seeped through twenty-seven dusty stained glass windows, each representing one of the grail virtues. In the distance an altar stood bathed in light from above, obscuring what lay on it.

"What have we here? a high mage- A present for Ar'feluth hm?"

Someone- or something hissed in pleasure. One of Valdar's senses suddenly alerted him to the presence of a powerful planar creature in the chamber. Both ears spun into a ready position and he hastily began re-weaving his wards, drawing deeply from his mana reserves.

"You have much gall, sister. I really wasn't expecting an all out assault after all these years. How on earth did you escape Nekkeroth? That fool swore he left the two of you dead in his bed last year."

"A gift, Kaithila. A gift from our old master."

The expression of the Fallen Angel tightened.

"Take the mage. I'll deal with the harlot."

"So he chose you after all, much good it did him."

Kitanue gave her a thin smile. The two Angels stared at each other for a long moment, black knight against bloodsplattered Amazon. Kaithila quivered in rage, plate creaking as she shifted her weight slightly. Kitanue's knuckles paled as her grip tightened, but she continued to stare back in cool defiance.

The first strike happened so fast Valdar never saw it. In an instant, the dark angel had closed the distance and cleaved the empty space Kitanue had occupied a moment before. She spun in a flurry of feathers to block Kitanue's sweeping counterstroke. An explosion of light and the gray angel leaped backwards, grinning.

A large shadow moved in the dark cupola, and dropped gracefully. The demon's crown burst into fire as it's feet slammed into the ground and strode towards the elf - a minor prince of the abyss. Its face was hidden in the unnatural darkness of a rough iron visor. Long spikes adorned its heavy armor, somehow not hindering movement. It closed the distance between them steadily, and an enormous bladed mace rose to crush the apprentice planewalker.

"You're not worthy to bear our master's blade, sister. The very blade rebels against your tainted hand!"

Rather than take the blow square on, Valdar dodged to one side, releasing both earblades as he did. The demon prince twitched its head sideways, and the blades cut twin fissures in the visor. It roared and swung the mace in a backhanded motion that smashed into Valdar's wards. He flew across the floor, losing his sword and smashing a sphere shaped imprint into the walls. Raising his hands, a bolt of pure lightning split the air between elf and demon. The demon's charge faltered a moment - long enough for Valdar to roll free and summon his sword.

She responded with a flurry of blows that pushed Kitanue back. The two angels spun in the same instant, Kaithila's bladed wings sweeping around with lethal force against Aurel's blade. Then she staggered back with a stunned expression, brought a hand up to touch her bleeding face. Kitanue pressed forward to attack from the flanks but barely avoided being bashed by her opponent's wing.

Molten metal trickled down the creature's sundered armor, not slowing it the slightest. The next sweeping strike smashed through a decorative column to dent one of Valdar's wards. He ducked the next cleave and lunged under the prince's guard, but his unholy blade merely glanced off, leaving a minor scratch. Muttering a few choice curses, he rolled free and released his earblades again. One was parried in a shower of sparks, sent spinning into one of the columns where it stuck, quivering. The other embedded itself in the demon's armor. Enraged at the slight wound, the demon swung it's enormous mace with shocking speed towards Valdar's ready sword, shattered the black blade in one fell blow.

Candles flickered in the sudden gale as Kitanue flapped her wings and flew backwards. A trickle of fire poured from the wound in her leg as the other angel rushed forward with a roar. The gray angel seemed to cower in panic for an instant, completely exposing her side and taking another cut to the forearm.

He stared for but an instant at the now useless weapon, and threw it at the creature, slowing it long enough to back away and summon a blazing staff of magefire. The demon prince smashed it aside and crushed half his wards in the same blow. Again, it slammed the mace against Valdar's fading protection, pummeling a semi circular dent in the flagstones. Just as the last of Valdar's wards spluttered and broke, the elf unleashed a mental blast that sent the prince staggering backwards. Dazed, the demon launched a wild backhanded blow that caught Valdar in the shoulder as he tried to slip behind. The elf was thrown across the chamber, leaving a red streak on the floor until he crashed against a column.

"That's going to leave a scar..."

As Kaithila strode forward for the kill, the gray angel's wings swept in from her blind side, obscuring her head for an instant. The fallen angel suddenly stiffened and faltered, blade cleaving the stone floor as Kitanue gracefully danced around her. She let the blazing Katana fall and jerkily brought her hands to the plain steel knife stuck in her temple. Her eyes glazed slightly as she tore the blade from her skull, and looked at it disbelievingly. Then she turned slowly to face Kitanue.

He forced his mind clear just in time to see an enormous fist close on his voidspun chainmail. The demon prince picked the elf up easily and brought him directly to face the darkness behind it's visor.

"That's right demon. . .closer"

Two tiny flames appeared in the blackness, infinitely deep and growing brighter. A howling gale tore at the wards around Valdar's soul as it brought him closer to the fire. When his nose was within inches of the twin holes to the heart of the abyss, he suddenly grinned. Faster than the eyes could follow, both ears- which had been lying limp, lashed forward into the visor. Valdar squeezed the final quontas of magical energy from his reserves, and the back of the demon prince's head exploded in blood and gore.

Kitanue’s voice was almost sad behind centuries of rage.

"A whore thaught me that, traitor."

Aurel's blade flashed triumphantly as it cleaved the fallen Archangel from shoulder to hip.

• 1 month later...

Kitanue wept.

Valdar frowned at the useless trinklet in his hands. The golden fire surrounding the cup covered the elf's entire body, giving him a blazing aura of chaos.

Nevertheless, it was not the grail. He admired the golden finish for a moment longer before pocketing the cup. The light vanished at once, and he turned to regard the grieving angel impassivley. Even as he watched, another gray feather drifted from her wings.

She ignored him, continuing to weep in the corner, head resting on the pommel of the white Katana with flames reflected in it's blade. For a long moment neither said anything, surrounded by the vast, but useless wealth of worlds. Valdar seemed to take a deep, rattling breath, before speaking gently.

"Kithane Talamesc`Ruthen"

The Angel suddenly snapped out of her greif with a startled squeak. She looked at him fearfully, frozen in place.

"I do not command you, Kitanue. I just called you."

He looked up to meet her eyes.

"There are many mysteries woven around you it seems, Kitanue Talesia of the first Cohort of Angels, however out of practise you are. I'm sure many, myself foremost would like to know what happened here today.”

The angel lowered her eyes and began to speak.