The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Time for Two

Salinye smiled as they sat together on the Mighty Couch in the Confessional, the bar only semi-busy this time of the night, night owls such as Yui-chan and Merelas chatting quietly, while off to the side Annael smiled and rubbed Daryl’s furry chin, causing the werefox to thump his tail happily against her thigh.

“GyrE?” Salinye whispered, and Gyrfalcon bent his head towards her slightly. “You mentioned a candle-lit dinner and a night of dancing a while back...” she noted.

The half-elf smiled, gently brushing back that persistent strand of blond hair, tucking it behind a pointed ear. “I did. And now that you’ve won me, it would make a great way of fulfilling the date.”

Salinye laughed softly and shook her head, hair dropping across her face before she pushed it back. “Trust a ranger to avoid giving me two dates.” she teased.

Gyrfalcon laughed in response. “We are known for being practical.” he teased back. Salinye only shook her head, smiling.

“Well, tell me where and when, GyrE.” she said.

“Hm... I’ll do that. I need to make a few plans before I have a definite date set.” the half-elf said, mind already racing and a plan beginning to form... but it’d involve a fair amount of planning and coordination to pull it off.

“What are you thinking about?” Salinye said, smiling at the distant look in his eyes.

“Oh, nothing, just thinking evil, sneaky thoughts.” Gyrfalcon replied with a grin.

“You’re always thinking those kinds of thoughts, ranger!” she said, laughing helplessly.

“I suppose I am, but I did learn from the best.” he said with a wink.

“Oh, and who’s that?”

“You of course!”

“Are you calling me evil and sneaky, ranger?” she said, mock-offended.

“You call yourself evil all the time, and may I recall my birthday? You’re quite sneaky!”

Salinye laughed helplessly and fell back on an older tactic. “Am not!”

“Are too!”

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

On the nearby couch, Annael shook her head with a smile and continued to scritch Daryl’s chin, amused by the two’s playful bickering. “Do you have a lady friend Daryl?” she asked, and he nodded his head against her hand, eyes closed and tail thumping happily with the scratching.

“Did you two ever have so much trouble admitting you were in love?” she asked, and this time his chin moved side to side on her finger.

“What was your secret?” she asked, smiling at the werefox’s enjoyment.

Daryl shrugged his shoulders and yerfed for a long while.

Annael shook her head and gently brushed a black feather from Daryl’s flank. “I’ll act like I understood that, alright?” she said.

Daryl settled himself down and closed his eyes, murring happily. he yerfed.

• 3 weeks later...

“You want me to do what?” Ardavial, the old druid of the Hostel, asked skeptically.

“Come on, it isn’t that hard of a task.” Gyrfalcon said, an uncommon note of wheedling in his voice.

“I didn’t say it was too hard you daft ranger, I was questioning what little sense you have! You want me to tell the mage that she can’t go anywhere near half of her own inn?” the druid yelled, face growing more red by the second.

“It’s well within your capabilities, I’m sure.” Gyrfalcon said calmly with a disarming smile.

“It would be except I’m not as crazy as you are! She’ll blow me up when I tell her that!”

Gyrfalcon grinned. “No she won’t, you’re her favored druid. On the other hand, she’ll blow me up if I tell her that, I’m just a ranger after all.”

The old druid peered at the half-elf. “Why do you need those rooms, anyway?” he asked suspiciously.

Gyrfalcon merely grinned. “You can’t give away what you don’t know. Thanks for running interference though.” He said, quickly walking away from the druid.

“I haven’t agreed to anything, you idiot! Come back here! You aren’t saddling me with an angry mage! Oh, Mielikki curse him...” the druid trailed off before sighing and stumping towards the kitchen. If he was going to have to guard the place, he might as well have his breakfast.

-----

“Yui-chan!” a voice called from behind the small woman, and she paused, looking back to see who was hailing her. She blinked in surprise and dismissed the shadow portal she had been about to step through, surprised to see Gyrfalcon running towards her. Immediately, she suspected that trouble was afoot.

“Whew, you’re hard to catch up with, Yui-chan.” Gyrfalcon said, bending over to catch his breath. “This is the third time I’ve tried to catch you just before you stepped through one of those portals, and the first I actually managed.”

Yui-chan smiled as she relaxed, realizing all that the half-elf wanted was to talk to her. “Sumanai, Gyr-kun, I apologize for ignoring you, I’ve had a thought for a story bouncing around in my head, and I’ve been doing a bit of writing here and there.” Yui-chan explained.

Gyrfalcon straightened with a grin, more then used to that common distraction at the Pen. “I wish to ask a favor of you, Yui-chan.”

“Oh? And what favor would that be, Gyr-kun?” Yui-chan asked.

“Well, you remember the birthday party you and Salinye threw for Solivagus and I?”

Yui-chan permitted herself a rare broad grin. “Of course I remember it, though I’m surprised you remember anything of that night at all!”

Gyrfalcon snorted in resigned amusement. “No thanks to you, and your constant call for Sake Bombs.”

Yui-chan chortled in response before shaking her head and regarding Gyrfalcon. “They got the job done, did they not?”

The half-elf shook his head and smirked. “I suppose so, but speaking of my birthday, before Falcon started jumping into the food and otherwise causing havoc, I was quite impressed with the wonderful smell of what your chef cooked... and what little I managed to taste was also excellent.”

Yui-chan smiled, thinking she’s discovered what he wished. “Would you like some of Eddo’s recipes perhaps, Gyr-kun?”

“Um... actually, I’d like to borrow him for a day or two. Though finding out some of his recipes would be nice too.” Gyrfalcon said with a grin and a shrug.

Yui-chan eyed the half-elf with amusement. “What is this about?” she asked, now curious about whatever plans would involve her own chef.

“Promise not to tell your partner in crime?” Gyrfalcon said, realizing that he’d have to divulge his plans to someone.

Hai, now tell me!” Yui-chan impishly demanded. After a few moments, she was laughing in delight. “Ah, Gyr-kun, she’ll love that.” Yui-chan said.

“I certainly hope so. So, could I borrow Eddo?”

“Certainly, I’ll bring him straight to the Hostel in an hour or so.”

Gyrfalcon smiled and bowed his head to shadowy one. “Thank you, Yui-chan, I appreciate this.”

Yui-chan’s eyes twinkled as she opened the shadow portal once more, this time to her estates. “You should thank Eddo-san too.” she reminded the half-elf, who laughed in agreement.

“As soon as I see him, Yui-chan, as soon as I see him.” Gyrfalcon assured her.

He watched her step into the shadows and disappear before pulling out a list and checking something off of it. “Daryl, need to find the troublemaker.” He mumbled to himself, starting off towards the tower where his quarters were, since Daryl lived on the floor below. So much to do, so little time to get it done...

• 1 month later...

Daryl stepped through the portal and grunted as he fell several feet, ending up sprawled out on the cracked pavement below. With a grumble he pulled himself to his feet and dusted off his jeans, the denim feeling strange to his hands after so long wearing cloth or soft leather.

“Who the heck puts a portal above street level?” he muttered to himself before replacing his battered sunglasses and looking around, satisfied to see a rundown warehouse street with not a person in sight. It looked like Peredhil was right on target, except for the little height issue. Daryl made a note to pick up something nice for Peredhil on his way back – maybe another Armani suit, or something nice in the way of accessories. He’d have to buy it rather then steal it though, since it just felt... wrong... to steal something for Peredhil. Daryl sighed and shrugged, he should be able to find something, and he could always borrow money from Jehane in the worst case.

Thinking of her, Daryl’s face brightened and he glanced around at the street and the decrepit buildings lining both sides before ducking down the nearest alley, hoping that Jehane was right and that the portal was either unguarded or defended by those loyal to her family.

Ten minutes later, Daryl tucked away his map and looked around, nodding to himself. The portal he needed was over another two streets and down another alley. Lost in thoughts of meeting Jehane again after their time apart, he barely noticed the men slipping out of alleys all around him. “Lost?” one of them snickered.

“Not so you’d notice.” Daryl said casually, making the gesture that indicated that he belonged in the criminal underbelly of the city. The thugs didn’t react at all.

“I think you’re lost, and you need some... guidance.” one of the thugs behind him said definitively. “Such guidance will cost you, of course.”

Daryl made the gesture again, then stared at the thug in front of him through his sunglasses as they once again failed to react. “Can’t you idiots recognize the high sign?” he asked incredulously.

“’Oh, so is that what all that finger waving was?” one thug asked, spitting on the sidewalk. “What do we need with that damn mafia for anyway? All they’d do is take a cut of our take and give nothing back. Now give us all your money!” he demanded, his patience worn out.

Daryl grinned unpleasantly. “Well, for one thing... they prevent things like this happening.” he said, letting the Change from human to werefox come over him. The next five minutes were some of the longest and most horrifying the would-be muggers had ever experienced.

Daryl whistled to himself as he sauntered down an alleyway, a grin pasted on his face and once again human. It had been rather fun enlightening those thugs as to the proper order of things in the city.

He paused as a figure stepped out of the shadows, dressed in loose flowing robes. “I think you have the wrong alley.” the figure said, its voice carrying a magical compulsion to it, one prodding Daryl to agree, leave, and forget that the incident had ever happened.

“Actually, I think this is the right one. I’m looking for Jehane Inamora.” Daryl said in near-flawless Kitsune, easily ignoring the compulsion.

The figure hesitated, surprised both by the stranger’s resistance to his magic and the request. “And who is asking?” he asked suspiciously, stepping closer to Daryl, the light falling on him revealing his vulpine muzzle and at least two lashing tails.

“Daryl Carnsilion.” the werefox replied, tensing slightly as he awaited the kitsune’s response. He blinked in surprise when the kitsune bowed deeply a moment later.

“Of course, I will convey your arrival to her immediately. Please, follow me.” He said, gesturing behind him to where a softly glowing portal filled the end of the alley.

Well, that went well. Daryl thought to himself as he stepped through the glowing portal behind the kitsune. So far at least.

Minutes later, he had Jehane wrapped in a tight embrace, and enjoying her arms tightly around him in return.

Finally, she slacked her embrace and looked up at him. “Daryl?”

“Mmhmm?”

“Why is there a hole in the back of your coat? Have you been fighting again?” She asked suspiciously.

“Now why would you think that?” Daryl asked, trying to look as innocent as possible.

“Because there’s a large hole in the back of your coat. Now tell!” She demanded.

Daryl chuckled and shrugged, the movement tugging at the skin between his shoulder blades, where a faint scar was already fading. “There were a few muggers who didn’t appreciate the fact that I wasn’t prepared to hand over my money. In the fight, one of them stabbed me in the back.”

Jehane sighed and closed her eyes. “How many of them did you kill?” she asked in a resigned tone. Daryl looked injured in return.

“I hurt several of them, but everything should heal in a week or two. Well… except for that guy’s broken arm. Just because he can’t really hurt me with a steel switchblade, doesn’t mean I like having someone ruin my clothes.” Daryl explained, grinning.

Jehane sighed and shook her head again, a smile finding its way onto her face. “You’ll never change, will you?” she asked Daryl softly, and he grinned as he shook his head.

“Good.” She said in a satisfied tone as they wrapped arms around each other again, the five-tailed kitsune casting a minor spell that repaired the hole in his jacket and shirt. “Now what brought you here?”

“Well, you see, Gyrfalcon is…” Daryl started explaining, and as he spoke of the half-elf’s plans as he knew them, Jehane laughed in delight. “And that brings you here why?” she said, teasingly.

“Because I’d enjoy your company, of course.” Daryl said with a grin. “Well, and Gyr’d like your help with some of his plan.”

“Let me collect some things, and then let’s go!” she demanded, smiling as broadly as Daryl.

• 1 month later...

OOC: Thanks to Salinye for her help in writing this section!

Salinye hummed happily to herself as she puttered towards her prized rose garden, dressed in her gardening attire, loose-fitting tan trousers and a plain shirt, with her ever-filled watering can in one hand and the rest of her tools in a small basket carried in the other hand. Lost in happy contemplations of tending her beloved garden, she didn’t notice Ardavial until he stepped into her path and cleared his throat loudly.

"Ah... Salinye, you know that party that half-elven ranger is planning for you?" Ardavial said, ill at ease.

The elven woman blinked in surprise before smiling tenderly at her grumpy friend, a little surprised at his tone, and at his words. “A party?” she asked, raising an eyebrow in question.

The druid shrugged uncomfortably. "The daft fool mentioned something about a night of dancing he promised you along with a dinner?"

Salinye smiled with a twinkle in her eye before looking down, momentarily embarrassed to have her emotions so close to the surface. "Yes, I believe he vaguely mentioned something about that." She said, looking back up at the old druid.

He took a deep breath and braced himself. “Well, to that, er... well... your garden is off limits for the next day or so.” he said in a quick rush. “He said none of the plants would be harmed or anything, but he doesn’t want something or another ruined by you seeing it.”

Salinye couldn't help but feel irritation creep into her. "What do you mean my gardens are "off limits"?” she demanded.

Ardavial coughed and looked a bit embarrassed. “Well, y’see... you can’t go in there, it’d ruin whatever surprise the half-elf is planning.”

Salinye felt the irritation she felt mounting slowly begin to melt away with the words "Surprised the half-elf is planning." she said, suddenly taken over by girlish giddiness. She set her watering can and basket of tools aside and linked her arm with Ardavial's. "So, tell me, Ardavial." She began, smiling coyly at him. "What do you know of this "surprise"?”

Ardavial chuckled. “Ah, I’m afraid the half-elf knew’d you ask, Salinye. He refused to answer any of my questions, and whoever’s in there’s not letting me peek in, the door’s securely bared.” he said with a sigh, afire with curiosity of his own.

She laughed softly. “Barred? No one and no magic can bar those doors from me. Of this I assure you. Now, shouldn't be take just a wee peek? It couldn't hurt and my ranger would NEVER know.” she said, heading for the doorway with a broad smile on her face.

Ardavial reached out and touched her arm. "Ah, I wouldn't, Salinye. He made me promise to guard those doors on threat of a horrible fate."

“Oh believe me, Ardavial, he won't harm a hair on your wonderful head.” she said, gently shaking his hand off her arm and stepping up to the door, placing her palm on it. A distinct ‘chink’ is heard as the doors obey their creator’s will and unlock. Salinye looked over her shoulder with a mischievous smile. “See? What did I tell you?”

She swung the handle downward and pushed forward, stepping forward to peer through the crack. Instead, she nearly hit her forehead against the door as it refused to budge. Salinye pushed again and the door still refused to budge. Doing her best to see through the miniscule crack that had presented itself, she could see some sort of wood object, most likely a chair or two wedged under the door handle, and beyond that she can see only black. "Sneaky devil." She mumbled to herself. “Alright then, to the upstairs windows, Ardavial!” she said, giggling in unexpected delight as she runs through the halls toward the stairs.

The druid muttered and trotted after her, complaining to himself that he was too old for this sort of thing. Despite his age though, he stayed doggedly within sight of much more youthful elf, who was taking the stairs two and three at a time. Upon reaching the third floor, she threw the door to her chambers open and ran to the window, which overlooked the garden. Instead of the expected view though, she was confronted by only blackness again, a canopy of the deepest black extending out over the entire courtyard with no visible means of support.

Salinye laughed before turning to face the puffing Ardavial, her arms folded across her chest. “"So, tell me, Ardavial. What else is "Off Limits" here at my hostel?” she asked.

He leaned on his staff for a moment as he recovered his breath a bit. “Well, lets see... the main dining hall, I guess he has something planned there, the private dining room off that, the kitchens, the rear courtyard where shipments come in, and two of the guest rooms near the garden.”

Salinye raised an eyebrow in good humor. "Well then, do deliver a message to the ranger, will you?" Ardavial recognized the smirk playing on her lips but nodded hesitantly. "Please tell him that since he's taken over my hostel, I'll be taking over his quarters at Pen Castle." Ardavial opened his mouth to speak, but she only shook her head and interrupted him. "Yes, yes, I realize I have my own chambers at the Castle, but that's hardly the point, nor as much fun." She waved her hand dismissing that issue. "Please inform him that if he wished for me not to meddle here, then he should be sure his chamber doors will open for me. Oh, and he may call on me socially, but only as long as he knocks first." She smirked, pleased with her plan as she began to pack a small bag.

• 1 month later...

Gyrfalcon stared at the old druid in shock. “She did what?” he asked incredulously as Ardavial related what had transpired a few hours ago.

“She packed up and headed off to your place. I hope you didn’t lock your door, by the way, since you’ll need to be replacing that doorway otherwise.” the druid warned.

Gyrfalcon sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “Well, she didn’t get mad, so it went about as well as could be expected. On the other hand, it looks like my library’s a little off-limits for the next few days. Glad I carry a spare set of clothes in my Bag of Holding.”

“You could go back for anything you want, she just said that you had to knock first.” Ardavial said, but the half-elf shook his head. “No, I’m afraid that if I talk to her she might manage to get me to reveal some of plans.” Gyrfalcon explained.

Ardavial snorted. “How’d she manage that where the rest of us can’t?” he asked.

Gyrfalcon grinned. “Well, she has been taking lessons from Daryl. Combine big, innocent eyes with a trembling lower lip the first time I refuse to answer and I might break down and talk!” he said with a laugh.

Ardavial grinned as well. “Ah well, coincidentally, I’d like to learn how you managed that black barrier over the garden.” he said, smirking. “I hope her rose-bushes don’t suffer from a lack of sunlight, otherwise you will see her mad!”

Gyrfalcon smiled. “Barrier? There is no barrier; it’s all just an illusion.”

Ardavial peered at the half-elf, then at the blackness extending across the garden below. “It looked real enough to me.”

Gyrfalcon shrugged. “I’ll pass that on to the illusion’s creator. She’ll be pleased.” he said with a half-smile.

the old druid shot Gyrfalcon a sharp look and debated asking the obvious question about who this person might be, but refrained, deciding the half-elf would just smile enigmatically and refuse to answer... again.

With a frustrated sigh, Ardavial threw up his hands and stomped away. “Fine, don’t tell me anything! I think I’ll go and take a sniff at what’s being cooked up in the kitchen, it certainly smells good enough!”

Gyrfalcon laughed softly before turning and knocking at the doors to the garden. After a moment, they cracked open and one golden eye peered out at him. “How’s it coming?” the half-elf asked.

“We’ll be done be done a little after tonight.” Daryl said.

Gyrfalcon smiled. “Does tomorrow evening suit your lady then?” he asked.

Daryl grunted and then disappeared so that Jehane could peek out at the half-elf. “It suits me just fine, I should be able to find a tuxedo for Daryl in that time.” she said with an impish grin.

“Tuxedo?! No one said anything about tuxedos!” Daryl yelped.

“I know dear, it’s called an ‘ambush’ in military terminology. You committed to being my date at this party, and you wouldn’t back out now, would you?” She demanded.

“No, but... a tuxedo?” Daryl said, sounding resigned.

“You’ll fill it out nicely.” she purred as she closed the door as Gyrfalcon laughed at Daryl. Still chuckling, he walked away to likewise visit the kitchen, and then a note needed to be delivered...

-----

Salinye smiled happily as she bounced a bit on Gyrfalcon’s bed, taking her prerogative to his room while he had possession of the Hostel to the limit as she enjoyed bouncing on his bed and browsing his bookshelves, somewhat impressed at the size of his personal library, as well as the fact that she didn’t recognize the languages that four or five of the books were written in... yet. These she stacked on the table for borrowing.

An errant breeze stirred the drapes at the window, and she frowned as she moved to the window and closed it, with night coming on the breeze was cooler then she wished. Turning away from the now closed window, she started, for a folded page had appeared on the desk, where nothing had been before. Frowning, she cast a spell, seeking to find invisible creatures, but nothing appeared to her magic. Frowning again, she took the paper and unfolded it, to find Gyrfalcon’s handwriting on the letter within.

Salinye,

I apologize for the manner in which I took over the Hostel, but I hope that my efforts make the aggravation worth it to you. I cordially invite you to your Hostel tomorrow night for our date, a night of good food and dancing. Formal wear is suggested for the date.

Sincerely and hopefully,

Gyrfalcon

She smiled as she set the letter down and considered his words, then a smile lit her face. “I think I know just the dress.” she said, humming to herself as she opened the door and walked down the stairs towards her normal quarters, the wardrobe down there magically linked to her wardrobe at the Hostel, giving her a broad selection of dresses to wear the next night. She hummed softly to herself as she riffled through that section of her wardrobe.

Daryl hummed to himself as he trotted out of the tower, Jehane’s spell of invisibility fading away as he linked arms with her. “Well, message delivered, so now all we need to do is make sure the half-elf’s plans go right.” he said with a grin.

• 1 year later...

Wow... it's been a long, long time since I touched this, and I appologize deeply. None the less, I finally finish this tale. I hope you enjoyed it, Salinye. *bows*

The Hostel blazed with lights, lighting the path leading to its door as the evening sky darkened further, the deep, deep blue turning to black, sprinkled with glittering stars. Far below the glowing stars, a carriage rolled to a halt in front of the Hostel, and Salinye stepped from it gracefully, not needing the aid of the driver. She smiled and thanked him before slowly walking towards her Hostel, her evening dress reflecting the sky above her. Deep black velvet, sequins scattered seeming at random, but with a precision that showed the expert skill that went into the gown. The sides of the gown were slit up to just above her knees to allow her the freedom necessary to dance, and she smiled as one of the workers opened the door, nicely dressed in a tuxedo and with his hair slicked back.

"Jeffery!" Salinye exclaimed. "I didn't know you could clean up like that." she teased, patting him fondly on the shoulder.

"I don't think Melissa thought I could either." he admitted with a chuckle, offering Salinye his arm, which she accepted, and leading her through the Hostel, passing by the closed doors to the main hall, instead stopping at the door to a smaller room off the main hall. Opening the door, he let the soft glow of candles spill out, along with the scent of fresh roses. "Ma'am, your date awaits you." he said, his formal tone belied by the roguish twinkle in his eyes.

"Why thank you, kind sir." Salinye said fondly before stepping into the candlelit room, enjoying the scent of the roses. "You better not have hurt my rosebushes, GyrE." she warned, smiling at the half-elf standing next to the table with his own smile.

"Of course not, I asked Ardavial for his help and he coaxed the bushes to produce a few extra flowers." the half-elf said, grinning as he stepped forward. Each corner of the room was decorated with roses, with another vase at the table in the middle.

"A few?" Salinye asked skeptically, looking at the sheer number of roses.

"Well, a few per bush... it did sort of add up." Gyrfalcon said, bowing gracefully and kissing the back of her hand before straightening again. Smiling, he took her fingers in a gentle grip and led her to the table, pulling out her chair and letting her seat herself before helping her slide it back in before taking his chair. As if on cue, a woman that Salinye recognized - Hiraka, one of Yui-chan's retainers, slipped through the doorway and slipped their salad plates onto the table with an economy of motion and grace that took years to perfect. Bowing slightly to them, she withdrew just as silently to return with two glasses of wine, which she set before the two of them. She gave them a deeper bow, and then slipped back through the door, smiling as their thanks reached her ears.

The dinner moved along nicely, course following course, the two eating quietly for the most part or chatting lightly about different things, teasing each other about what they had been doing with the other's home the past few days. Finally, Hiraka cleared away the plates from the meal, and Gyrfalcon smiled at Salinye. "Ready for dessert?" he asked, eyes twinkling with suppressed mischief.

"What do you have planned, GyrE?" she asked suspiciously as Hiraka slipped through the doors and placed small pot in the middle of the table, from which rose the delicious smell of melted chocolate.

"Chocolate fondue!" Salinye exclaimed with a wide smile as Hiraka returned with a two plates, one filled with strawberries and cherries, the other with little squares of cake.

Salinye immediately picked up one of the strawberries, dipping it in the chocolate and ate the treat with a shiver of delight. "Mm... perfect."

Gyrfalcon chuckled and sampled one of the bites of cake with the chocolate and nodded. "This is really good... Taron wouldn't let me sample any beforehand."

Salinye just grinned at him as she sampled a piece of the cake, while he grabbed a cherry and bit into it carefully, avoiding the seed.

Several minutes later, they settled back contentedly, and Salinye smiled happily at Gyrfalcon. "Thank you GyrE, that was wonderful." He grinned back at her.

"Oh, that wasn't everything." he says as he gestured, and the doors were thrown open, revealing the banquet hall, brightly lit by the chandeliers, and many familiar faces smiling at the couple.

"Feel like some dancing, Salinye?" Gyrfalcon grinning at her look of surprise at their many friends smiled, raised glasses in toasts or cheered. In the corner, a small orchestra struck up a simple dancing tune.

"I would love to." Salinye said, rising with the half-elf and accepting Gyrfalcon's hand as he guided her into the middle of the ballroom. She was surprised at the number of guests... many of the Pennites were present, and she could see Peredhil talking with Mira, while Guido and Nuncio swapped tales with Jonathan Wolfe. Yui-chan smiled radiantly on Aegon's arm, while a distinctly uncomfortable looking Daryl paid attention to a stunning young woman. "Who's that, GyrE?" Salinye asked quietly.

Gyrfalcon took a look and grinned. "That's Jehane, Daryl's girlfriend... I see she managed to get him into a tuxedo after all." he said, before turning to face her and stepping back to bow.

"Might I have this dance, dear lady?" he said formally, and Salinye could feel a blush rise to her cheeks. "Of course." she said, offering her hand, which he accepted. As they began to dance to the melody, other couples stepped onto the dance floor, joining them for the first dance of the night.

The orchestra continued to play, and the candles burned down as song after song and dance after dance passed. Finally, as it approached midnight, Gyrfalcon smiled at Salinye "Might I have one final dance?"

"Of course." she said, smiling back as he took her hand and surprised her by leading her towards the doors to the garden rather then the dance floor. The others followed, Daryl and Jehane slipping out ahead of them. The garden was lit by softly glowing globes hanging from the limbs of the trees in the garden, or decorating the many rosebushes. Dominating the center of the garden was a three-tiered fountain, filling the air with the sound of gently falling water. As the orchestra took up their positions in the corner of the garden, Jehane whispered softly and touched the water of the fountain, causing a shimmering ripple to work its way back up the flowing water. Stepping back, she smiled at Gyrfalcon and Salinye.

"Alright, that should do it." she said, smiling as Gyrfalcon lead the Salinye to the fountain. Without hesitation, he stepped up onto the water, and Salinye blinked in surprise as he stood on top of the flowing liquid, offering her his hand to help her up. She smiled as she realized the nature of Jehane's magic and took his hand as they found their way to the top tier, just enough room there to dance slowly.

And dance they did as the orchestra played softly, their friends dancing around them and the moon rode high overhead.

Those poor elves, dancing on the top of that fountain for the last TWO YEARS! Man, either they're REALLY in love or REALLY love dancing! LOL JK JK

Great job, Gyrfalcon. :0) It was a nice surprise to be pulled back to The Pen for such the end of a wonderful thread. :0) I really do need to pick up my quill again. I believe I owe a story or two to some bidders as well.

*hugs* Thanks again, it was a very well thought out and in depth thread not to mention a very sweet story.

~Salinye :fairy: