The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Canadian Election

Katzaniel

Well, I'm pretty glad that Québecers did protested against the Liberals in masse. However, I'm a bit dissappointed that the NDP didn't had more seats than that.

One thing is sure, the Liberals wont start elections for at least a year or two since it'll be extremely costly economically wise for the country and they do cost a lot to the governement. Québec Premier Jean Charest (a federalist) is satisfied with the outcome and clearly said that he will support any federal party that will bring up the issues of fiscal imbalance and help to the family.

I think the Liberals will find politics that will please both the Bloc and NDP (both are left parties that share opinions on several issues). It will be very interesting to see how Paul Martin will deal with that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We came very, very close to the 20th NDP seat. (BLARG!!!!) The Conservative won with 35% of the vote, the NDP with 33%. The Liberal didn't have a hope. Blarg, I say! *Fist shaking* Should've known. Only town I've ever been in that's more keen on pretending they're still 5-10k people than admitting they're now 100k+ and moving on with life... =D

That sounds like my home town, London Ontario... though it's a city of almost 350k, it pretends to be about 30k.

The wost things about only having 19 seats are that at one point in the night, the NDP was leading in 25, and that right near the end, everyone was reporting they had won 21. :P

Oh well, three very good things that happened for the NDP were Jack Layton winning (and a huge "whew" on that, because he was losing much of the night), Bill Siksay keeping Svend Robinson's seat, and the fabulous return of Ed Broadbent.

All in all, not a terrible result. I was mildly pleased by the lack of Conservative result, though I felt it was clear going in that the Conservatives had lost, based on the uniform sharp downward trends in the last minute polls. However, I didn't expect it to be quite that much of a shift, especially in Ontario. I was also mildly disapointed at the NDP's lack of preformance, though I had a sinking feeling that it would happen before the election. I heard a fair number of people say they'd vote LIberal instead of NDP for that reason when I was out canvassing, and that's in what must now be the strongest NDP riding in the country. I stayed optamistiic though, so it was still a disapointment.