The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Shadows of the Kitsune Tail

It's been a hot month of July so far. Fourteen years old Yumi is helping Sagara Hajime washing the dishes. Hajime-san is a bouddhist monk that opened a small monastary where he welcomes twelves orphans. Young Yumi is one of them, being raised by the wise monk since she was a baby, who's now helping him since she was old enough to do so. The yougest orphan was Megumi, an adorable five years old girl who always calls Yumi "big sister". The cute orphan runs over Yumi and jumps on her legs.

- Come on big sister! I want to play dolls with you.

Yumi smiles lovingly.

- I still have work to do, Megumi-chan

The little girl protests.

- But you're always working!

Hajime chuckles and nods to the older girl.

- You worked hard enough this morning. Go play with Megumi.

Yumi smiles, removes her apron and thanks the priest, then runs along the child, playing outside. With the other child, she share tales about samuraï, legendary fight and mystical creature. The most popular one involves the infamous hygenkyoi.

Life is happy and simple for the teenager, who dreams to marry her charming samuraï. At night, as usual, Yumi prays Bouddha for his kindness and to have granted her the protection of the kind man the priest is then goes to bed.

The morning after, Yumi awakes in the middle of the forest, nearby the monastary. Her night clothing are torn and stained, while in her mouth, there's a taste she's not used too. She hastes in the monastary, fearing that something might happened in there. As she pushed the doors open, she stops dead on her tracks. Death and horror were the only things that awaited her. The sunrays light the mangled bodies of the orphans, bodies that the crows are already eating. Little Megumi had not been spared, as meters separated her head from her body. As for Hajime, Yumi found him dead in his bedroom, his torso had been ripped appart. Soon, the teenager turns hysteric and cries her soul out.

After mourning for the whole morning, Yumi buried all the corpses and remains in one common grave on which she puts one stone for each deceased. After she cleaned herself up, the teenager knows that she must leave the monastery before anyone finds her. She doesn't understand what happened, how come she survived? While she packed up the few clothing she possesses, she decides to head for Kyoto as she might find a shelter.

During her trip to Kyoto, Yumi notices that she never wakes up in the same place and that she still have this odd taste in her mouth. In fact, her trip to the japanese capital had been way shorter than she expected. When she finally arrives there, she is fascinated by the beauty of the town. Suprisingly for Yumi, she is not hungry although that her food reserve is empty. Sunset was soon and the young girl havent found any shelter she can pay for. Unknowing, she walks into the most dangerous neighborhood of Kyoto when she had been sighted by two ruffians. Unaware of the danger hovering over her, Yumi kept looking for shelter. One of the ruffians strikes from behind and drags the teenager in an alley. While one of the bandits holds her from behind, shoving a rag in Yumi's mouth, the other busy himself and tries to get her legs spread.

- She seems to be a feisty one. Do you think she'll bring in lots of money?

- I do think so. But she needs to get tamed first.

The brigand who restrains Yumi whispers in her ears.

- Don't worry, if you don't struggle it wont hurt. And after that, you'll beg for more.

Meanwhile, the sun is finally set and as soon as its last rays vanishes, screams of terrors can be heard in the slums.

Yumi abruptly awakes in a bed. Confused she looks around and sees a Geisha who is carefully combing her long lustrous hair. She notices the teenager and greets her.

- There, there. You're finally awake. It was fortunate that my sister and I live nearby, otherwise, I'm not sure if you would have survived the hunters.

- Hunters?, thinks Yumi, what is she talking about?

Another geisha walks in, who must be the other's sister and nods at the orphan.

- There, it seems that the cub had finally awaken. I'm sure plenty of women are thankful for what you had done last night.

- Last night? I don't recall... What happened to those men.

- Men? I wouldn't call them that way. Cowards is a more appropriate term. As for what happened to them, well, you killed them.

- WHAT?

Yumi couldn't believe what she heard. How come she could do such heinous acts? Meanwhile, the geisha resumes her speech.

- You've heard right. You're a cub. A Kitsune cub. You are among the cursed ones, like my sister and I. In the beginning, it's normal that you don't understand what is going on, because your human soul and kitsune soul are separate entities. But with time, you'll learn how to merge these souls and fully control your abilities.

The orphan is stunned. She cannot pulled any words from her mouth. However, it explains everything that occured in the late events. She was the one who slay the whole orphenage. She also travelled night and day in either form, which explains the short duration of her trip while hunting. Everything makes sense but still, it is an unfathomable explanation. The first geisha who watched over her looks at her.

- I understand that this is hard to believe, but you must face it; your life will never be the same again. I am Kamiya Ritsuko, and she is Yoko.

- I am Yumi...

- Yumi? You have no family name?

Yumi nods sadly while Yoko looks at Ritsuko and they both made an approuval headsign.

- Well, in that case, you are from now on Kamiya Yumi. Welcome home, sister.

Yumi spent the day with either sister, learning the geisha way while the other is "greeting" a client. While practicing the ceremony of tea, questions are cascading behind the young girl's mind. Ristuko notices her apprentice lack of concentration and interrupted her thoughts.

- Now, now, Yumi-chan, tell me what is wrong with you?

- Will I have to "greet" clients?

Ritsuko frowns her eyebrows for a moment and nods.

- As unpleasing as it sounds, you'll have to do it eventually. But don't worry, it's not as bad as it may seems. After all, we still have to pay for this roof and for our food. And you'll need more appropriate kimonos and hair accessories.

Yumi is shocked by what she heard and hardly contains her anger. The older prostitute notices it and knelts beside the teen, holding her by her shoulder.

- I know that I wish that we couldnt have to suffer it, but we are out of choice. You are an orphan with pratically no name of your own. The only way you could possibly make yourself one of your own by becoming an oiran or a geisha. You are a beautiful looking girl and lots of men will pay a lot just to have your favors.

The teenager started to sob, realizing the whole mess she felt into. Yoko walks in the room and looks at the scene.

- Ritsuko! What happened here?

- I've simply told her the truth!

An angered Yoko walks over and scolds her sister.

- That's pretty brillant? How is she supposed to trust us now? Now it will make her harder to handle at night!

- Where else can she go? She knows nobody but us here! She'll have to do it one day and she'll have to know about it one day. Better sooner than later!

- What kind of ill logic is that? Ever heard of the word "tact"? Of course not, since tact is eluding you.

It's now Yumi's turn to be furious, she sees both sister arguing and realizes that, in one way or another, they both end up using her.

- ENOUGH!

The geishas stop at once and look at Yumi, who is now in a furious mood. The young girl continues.

- You want me to endure your lifestyle? Fine! It seems that there's no choice for me here. I'll sell this sick body if it means giving my life back! I'll "greet" every men in Kyoto if it means freeing myself from this curse! I've never ask for anything of this. I.... I...

Yumi tears interrupted her thoughts and she cries all her anger out. Yoko kneels besides the young kitsune and gently strokes her back.

- I know it's hard for you to cope with this reality. We've both had been through what you are living and we both hate it. But, unlike human prostitute, you can still make these pigs pay. I promise you that your first client will be the most handsome of the cursed one, as no human pigs deserve to take your virginity away. Ritsuko, get yourself ready for your client.

The youngest of the sister obeys and leaves the room, while Yoko manages to calm Yumi down and resume the teaching.

Minutes before sunset, both sisters brought holds Yumi before a mirror, giving the girl the instruction to trying to not fade her mind into uncounciousness. As soon as the last ray of light disappears, Yumi's body started to transform, while her clothing is disappearing, her stature starts to grow larger while fur starts to cover her body. Her mouth and chin elongates, her nails turn into sharp claws while her teeths transform into menacing fangs. Her ears points upward and they are covered with black and white fur. At that point, Yumi's consciousness fades away.

Yumi awakes the mext morning, still confused at what could have possibly happened last night. Ritsuko looks over Yumi gently and hands her rice balls to the girl.

- Good morning, Yumi-chan. Did you recalled anything?

- I do recall that my body turn into something that reminds me of a fox... That's all I can recall.

- That's a nice start. As soon as you'll manage to keep your human mind awake, you'll be able to control your skills. I leave you on your own, but try to think about it.

Ritsuko leaves Yumi alone with her own thoughts. Yumi kneels on her bed and starts to pray.

- Buddha, may I ask if I had done anything wrong in any of my pasts lives to even deserve to be cursed? I always thanked you for the live you gave me in the monastary, I always tried to be kind and protective toward the other orphans, I always helped Hajime-san when he needs it and this is what you give me in return? Why did you cursed me? Why did you lead me in this life of misery? WHY? WHY?

Yumi cries, cursing against the god while Yoko is eavesdropping, smiling.

• 1 month later...

Years have passed and Yumi is now seveteen years old. She's brushing her long silken black hair while taking her bath. She closes her eyes and thinks about what she learned in her Kitsune form during these last five years. While, during day, she is trained into the Geisha and now Oiran art, when night falls, she learns the ninjistu art. Looking at her, a man of an impressive built is watching over her. While he have handsome features, his body tells the story of a man who fought many battle, as scars of any shapes and size ornates his body. He stares at the bathing teen and then looks at Yoko, who is standing by his side.

- This young Kitsune will be my mate, Kamiya Yoko.

- It's an honor, Kojima-sama.

Yumi felt the man's gaze upon her and looks at his direction, then she met his gaze. Yumi havent seen a cursed male before and she is extremely impressed by this one. She never have seen someone who have such an important stature and this man is extremely charismatic; she can't draw her gaze away from him. But she understand that this man while be the one who'll take her into womanhood.

Later, at late-afternoon, Yumi is now in her full Geisha attire is waiting for Kojima Shoji to enter by a low table, ready for the tea ceremony. The impressive man appears and bows his head at the one he desires. During the whole tea ceremony, Yumi's eyes never left the strong samurai's making her inner beast craving for such bestial lover.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, the other two sisters busy themselves, wondering how things will be for Yumi.

- I'm worried for Yumi, finally says Ritsuko, I've heard that Kojima-sama is a brutal type of mate and that he might harm her.

- Worry not my sister, I feel in my guts that he will do anything to not harm her.

Yumi's cry interrupted the sisters. Ritsuko looks at her sister with now a dubious look.

- Can you say that again? I fear I didn't understood it well the first time you've said it.

Meanwhile, in the bedroom, Shoji holds his mate tightly against his chest. Poor Yumi is shaken by such experience that she doesn't know if it's painful or pleasant. After she clamed herself down, questions are racing in her mind but hesitates asking them. But the samurai decides that a chat could help ease the tension.

- How do you feel, Yumi?

- I feel unsure of what I am suppose to feel, Kojima-sama.

- Formalities are unnecessary in privacy. You can call me Shoji.

- Did the sisters told you about what they intend to do with me?

- I am aware of it.

- Does it bothers you to know that I'll sleep with humans?

- I does but you have to earn your money and a social status. Also, that's why I intend to visit you as often as possible. I don't want you to be bored with humans.

- Thank you Shoji.

- Thank you Yumi for your virginity. You are now my mate and, therefore no other hygenkoi can mate you as long as I'm alive.

The last sunrays disappear and both Yumi and Shoji morphs into their wereforms. While Yumi is a reddish magnifient werefox, Shoji is a colossal werewolve. Both decided it was time to mate again.

The morning after, Yumi is praying Buddha.

- Thank you Buddha to allowed me to have Kojima Shoji as my mate. I feel safe, appreciated and loved by him and he sure knows how to make mating very pleasant.

Ritsuko and Yoko were eavesdropping and chuckles. An exceeded Yumi throws a Kunai at their direction.

- How many times do I have to tell you to not spying on me when I'm praying?

- Sorry Yumi, says an embarassed Ritsuko, but we're still not use having a praying Kitsune here.

- Really? Then it's your turn to pray!

Yumi runs after the sisters who are laughing all along.

• 1 year later...

A decade had past, but the time of war was approaching, as a Toshiyama Makoto was talking to the hygenkyoi tribe. Toshiyama was the Lord of a small domain neighbour to one belonging to Mizuhara, a strong supporter to the Emperor and an ardent Seer sympathizer. As for Toshiyama-sama, although he was a human, he is one that always thought that hygenkyoi should be treated as normal citizen and that their formidable abilities could be used in their advantage against China or any other potential invader. However, having Mizuhara-sama's domain nearby poses a threat to his ambitions as this lord could brand Toshiyama-sama as a traitor.

The assembly was composed of Kojima Shoji who was now the tribe leader, Kamiya Yumi, Kinjiru-san who is the son of a wandering herborist, Toshiyama Makoto, Yamamoto Anji who is Toshiyama-sama's personnal advisor and four guards.

- Mizuhara-sama keeps doing some insinuations about me, hinting that he might know my opinion about the hygenkyoi., shares a the middle-aged lord who's attirace respect every Samuraï protocol, It'll be only a matter of time that he'll give my head to the Emperor.

- However, we need this to be a very discreet operation as we do not wish to attract any attention on us., advises Anji, a slim man in his fifthies who wears a diplomat attire, while stroking his long beard, I wonder if any of your fellow warriors could do it.

Kojima-sama nods and glances at both Kamiya and Kinjiru. He knows too well how delicate and dangerous this mission was but he knows that he couldn't protect Kamiya from danger forever.

- I can do it, my Lord, hushes sofly Yumi, I've served as a geisha there often and I know now would be the best time to strike as he'll have the fewest number of guests. I know how risky it'll be but if we can kill a Seer and a Herborist in the same time, it'll worth it.

- A Seer and a Herborist?, asks Kojima-sama, Are you sure about it?

- We are sure about that Kojima-sama, answers Kinjiru-san, My father sold many types of herbs, some more exotic than others, to the Mizuhara castle weekly. Also, both Kamiya-san and I felt a Seer's presence on numerous occasions during our visits. However, we don't know who they might be.

Yumi feels her mate's worries but she knows that she have to carry on the plan. The assembly decided that the first victim would be Kinjiru-san's father as he might be in the way for the future killings. The risk of losing both hygenkyoi is high, but it could result in either having Mizuhara-sama dead, or having his honor severly tarnished. Both issues would be satisfying for Toshiyama-sama, who agrees to pay a hefty sum for the services.

Later that nigh, both Yumi and Shoji where in the futon, in their wereform. The fox buries her muzzle in the dark wolf's chest. Shoji recalls the day he saw Yumi for the first time, showing all her beauty while she was bathing and how she was fascinated by him. He recalls feelings her delicate frame against his rugged one when he made her his mate. He recalls when she went from the innocent cub to the vixen that she is now. He knows that Yumi made many missions, but he fears that he might lose her on this one.

- I am afraid, replies the kitsune geisha, but I know I have no choice if we want to have more and more freedom. I'll promise that I'll get out of this castle alive.

- My love, replies the werewolf, I trust you and I trust Kinjiru-san. I know you'll do the best to get out alive.

Both mates sleep in each other's arms for the remainder of the night, hoping it wont be the last time.

Yumi departed first to the Mizuhara castle, as all geishas were expected to be there by noon. Before she left, she had been informed that the Emperor was expected to visit the lord a week later and it might be interesting to kill him. As for Kinjiru-san, he joigned his father first and they headed for the castle later that morning. When Yumi was greeted at the castle, Lord Mizuhara was pleased to see the highly reputable Geisha he whispers in her ears that he would like some private services this afternoon. Yumi knows too well what he meant, but since he gives her extra for it, she doesn't mind it that much.

After the first murder, Yumi's strategy was all too clear for her; remain discreet and calm while using credible guest's opinions in order to deflect any attention from her, but also from Kinjiru-san. Shimizu Akane, Lord Washima's head concubine, was the perfect guest for that purpose. Unwittingly, she always accused anyone but the two hygenkyoi until the Herborist's death. But since both Seer and Herborist were gone, her purpose was over and she was promptly executed by Yumi and Kinjiru.

After the last guest's execution and the following massacre, both Hygenkyoi waited for the Emperor's arrival in vain: someone must have warned him. After snarling her dissapointement, Yumi looks at Kinjiru-san.

- There's no use to wait for here. If he's warned, he'll come back with his army. Let's head beack to the castle and removes traces of our presence and... let's bring some presents for our client.

Kamiya Ritsuko and Yoko waited for their sister's return impatiently at Kojima-sama's lair. The werewolf lord was discussing with Toshiyama-sama who was accompagnied by his Yamamoto-san and a third man. At that moment, ruffles and hustles are heard coming from the entrance of the lair. The Kamiya sisters rushed to the gathered people with haste.

- Kojima-sama! They are back! Yumi-san and Kinjiu-san are back!

Joy invaded Shoji's heart as he learned that his beloved mate is still alive. When he saw Yumi at the entrance, he was delighted and drops any formallity to hug and kiss her passionnatly. He then invited both her and Kinjiru-san to the gathering. The third man introduced himself as Washibu-sama, lord of a domain that was nearby Toshiyama's. Kinjiru-san was carrying a bloody bag and empties it's content in front of the lords.

- Ahhh! Mizuhara's head!, rejoices Toshiyama-sama as he exams the severed heads, This is one I'm glad to see dead. Oh? Is that Washima-sama? What a delightful surprise!

- He was among the guests, however,adds Kinjiru-san Mizuhara hid his son in safety.

- Worry not about the child, comments Washibu-sama, Few nobility offpring will survive these trouble times we planned ahead. Is that Iago-sama's head?

- Yes. He was also a Shinto Seer.,adds Yumi

- Excellent! And I believe that this man's head is the herborist you and Kinjiru-san talked about?, asks Toshiyama-sama.

- Indeed. However, it seems that someone warned the Emperor about us., frowns Yumi.

- A messenger told us that the Emperor delayed his visit to the Mizuhara castle, which is why Washibu is here. , explains Kojima-sama, He's offering us hospitality in his domain as a reward for killing Mizuhara. We'll need to hide after this incident, especially if two lords and a proeminent Shinto Seer had been killed by your hands.

A week after the incident, the hygenkyoi are now living on Washibu's domain for their services. Yumi and Shoji were pondering of the consequeces of the events and the turmoil ahead.

- Do you think one day, humans will stop repressing us? , asks Yumi.

- Humans will still fear us, replies Shoji, although if more humans like Washibu takes the time to understand us, things might be for the better.

- I can only hope so, my love.

Both hygenkyoi looks over the setting sun, with hopes for a better world for their kind...

THE END

Author's note: In this last chapter, I took the liberty to borrow characters from the Werewolf game this story comes from. However, I used them as minimally as possible and I tried to be as faithful to the character as needed.