The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Unanswered question

Savage Dragon

:dragon2: Hey, there seem to be some intelligent people running around this place, i think. Maybe one of you can answer this question for me. Now i've been thinking about this a long time and i have to ask. Without pointing to any certain religion, i have to wonder if theyre all off their rockers. My question is about the middle east. we have all these different cultures and religions fighting over this area of land known as "the Promise Land", and maybe i'm not the only one who has noticed this, but IT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE F****ING DESERT (pardon my french). there isn't even any oil there. there is not one nice thing about that place. it's hot, its humid, they have terrible storms, and the locals keep trying to kill each other. Does anyone have a reason why there is all this bloodshed over a promise land that isnt too promising. the only answer that comes to mind is that it has a potential for being a promise land, if everyone would just be happy, but with the way things are looking, its not going to happen. am i just being really ignorant or obvious? is it a question of faith or just a situation that blew out of hand? i'd like to hear some answers from somebody.

thank you for listening to my ramblings

:dragon4:

In ancient times, it used to be fertile and rich, with luscious beauty for all. Then the climate shifted, it turned to desert, then the wars, famines and pestilence and finally, you're left with a desolate wasteland that belonged to someone long ago and that someone's descendants are fighting over it now, jsut for the sake of fighting

Hmm....all depends on how you think about it...

Religiously - they're fighting for what they feel has been promised to them, what they were chosen to be part of.

Philosophically - I'd say that they're fighting for a land that was once of promise, but now is of decay due to the greed and stryfe of those who choose to fight over it. - the promised land isn't the ground you stand on, it's the soul you harvest.

Atheistically (non-religion) - it was a once fertile land now barren with no real economic value, although it's location could be considered somewhat strategic militarily, not so great as to fight such a vicious war over.

-------

Those are my views. (I'm spiritual, but non religious, and I think the fighting is rediculous and mainly just a small group of fanatics on each side ruining it for the majority of the populous).

I believe that Alzorath summed up the principal answers to your question nicely, MeThinksUFoolish. As Lumpenproletariat pointed out, however, the Mighty Pen is not the best place to spark political and religious debates, as the focus should be on creativity and universal acceptance.

I hope that Alzorath has answered your inquiries, and I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you over PM if you should want to look into it further. This thread will be closed, however, as previous experiences with heated debating on the Pen have proven to be hazardous.

Thanks for your understanding. :)