Streams of fuel,

Reflect absent color

Fresh water a distant dream.

The poignancy destroyed by:

White on gray.

Gray on black.

Black on white.

Color stolen from a mindless utopia,

Perfection etched in a forgotten history.

What used to be clings now

Only to distant memory.

A stale breeze,

Long lost the taste of dew

Now a reminder of the industrialization

Pulls and beckons the only trace of life.

Dirty and fatigued,

Its name now a myth

Lost in a world that it created:

Black on white.

Jade sighs and restlessly swivels in her applicant easychair, staring at the grandfather clock located in the far righthand corner of the office as the minute hand of the contraption slowly begins approaching the hour hand at the midnight mark. Grumbling to herself and rolling her eyes at the thought of the far-fetched scheme that might be detaining the infamous Elder of Initiates, the eager applicant lifts herself from her seat to stretch and practically hits the ceiling in surprise as the main door to the Office suddenly slams open and Wyvern strides into the room.

Jade bites her lip and cringes at the thought of Pen members awakening from their beauty sleep from the sound of the slamming door. This thought is only amplified as Wyvern tosses a huge bag of various metal rods which he carries onto the Office floor, causing the rods to resonate in a cacophonous clang. Briefly grinning and winking towards Jade, the reptilian Elder strides up to the office window and signals to a band of lizardmen construction workers standing directly outside of the Pen, who proceed to begin drilling into part of the pen's foundation with jackhammers while blasting a death metal band by the name of "Banshee and the Shrieking Gargoyleheads" at an extremely high volume. Jade's mouth drops open as Wyvern turns to her and says:

"Sorry for my lateness, and apologies for this little procedure. I've been wanting to build a geld statue adorned with advertisements directly outside of the Pen for a while now, but my fellow Elders didn't find the idea quite as attractive. So, I decided that I should probably do it when everyone's asleep, so that I can avoid getting into trouble for it. They'll never expect a thing!"

Jade raises a brow and slaps her forehead at this statement, about to explain to Wyvern that he had probably awoken everyone in the Pen with the noise he was currently producing. Her response is interrupted, however, as a lizardman in a construction workers uniform swiftly steps into the room through the main door and exclaims:

"Mr. Wyvern-"

Wyvern turns to address the lizardman, his eyes widening as he notices the four cigarettes that the construction worker is currently smoking in his mouth.

"What did I tell you about bringing that many cigarettes into my office?!" bawls Wyvern just as the fire alarm of the Pen is activated and begins blasting throughout the halls in full force, awakening those few members that hadn't yet awoken from their slumber. Cursing to himself and stomping at the ground in frustration, Wyvern quickly snatches up Jade's application poem in order to read it over before any aggravated Pen members arrive and start strangling him.

After finishing the piece, Wyvern nods in a contemplative manner and hisses:

"An excellent poem, Jade, and an excellent point that you drive across as well. In fact, I think that I'll stop the production of that geld statue now, as the anti-materialistic sentiment of the poem is clearly felt and certainly speaks volumes. After all, building statues of geld isn't needed when you could be amassing huge amounts of geld instead!"

Jade's face goes blank at this reasoning, and she sighs and shakes her head as the overgrown lizard stamps her application ACCEPTED. The newly accepted Initiate then turns to depart from the Office just as Wyvern signals for the lizardmen to stop building the statue and numerous aggravated Pen members arrive at the office door...

;-)

OOC: An excellent poem and an ACCEPTED application, Jade. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I look forward to reading more of your works, as well as participating in other Pen writing projects with you. Once again, welcome!

Editted for gender confusion, thanks for pointing it out Vlad. My apologies for the confusion Jade... in reading your profile, your gender was listed as "not telling," so I hazarded a guess and was mistaken as usual. For what it's worth, I *thought* Jade sounded like a feminine name... ;-)