The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Drifting

Savage Dragon

Drifting

OOC: Im not sure what to think of this, either i'll get responses that'll say "nice one", or "what the hell" and im thinking it'll be the second. i threw it together from scratch prefering the free write and i think i'll probably want to work on it more. give me some feedback, im not sure what to think about it

--------------------

Drifting

The lunchroom filled with people with nothing better to do than fill rooms, friends chatting with friends about their friends and their other friends, eating food that isn’t good and really shouldn’t be called food.

A place for everyone and everyone

In their place

Except one

Drifting

The table of jocks, the table of stoners, the table of cool kids, the table of loners

If you’re in drama you sit there and over there if you’re in band

And those are the foreign exchange kids, who I can rarely understand

Everyone knows where they're supposed to be, everyone belongs except for me

Drifting

To drift for an age and never be calm

This is my proverb

This is my psalm

:dragon2:

In their place

Except one

Drifting

mmmmm that was always me, too. wasn't even the usual "square peg in a round hole" either, more like octagonal peg and triangular space.

there's nothing more lonely than being alone in the middle of a crowd.

*hugs*

I loved the first sentence; the phrasing just struck a chord with me. The simple language and repetition helped set the melancholy but resigned mood of the piece very well. I felt it was more observant than actively depressed and that makes for interesting poetry.

Only one suggestion: Add more of it. There seems to be a lot there and although the poem was good it felt like it had gaps and ideas were left incompletely explored. Perhaps which places you've tried to fit into? The other thing that made it seem unfinished was the last stanza: "To drift for an age and never be calm" that seems much more final than not fitting in at school so if that's how you feel you may want to write a section on the possible future of such a drifting attitude and what the rest of the world's categories are.

Very nice poem, I hope to see your future drafts, if any. ^_^

Edited by Yuki Kokoro

• 7 months later...

Drifting

OOC:  Im not sure what to think of this, either i'll get responses that'll say "nice one", or "what the hell" and im thinking it'll be the second.  i threw it together from scratch prefering the free write and i think i'll probably want to work on it more. give me some feedback, im not sure what to think about it

--------------------

Drifting

The lunchroom filled with people with nothing better to do than fill rooms, friends chatting with friends about their friends and their other friends, eating food that isn’t good and really shouldn’t be called food.

In their place

Except one

Drifting

The table of jocks, the table of stoners, the table of smart kids, the table of loners

If you’re in drama you sit there and over there if you’re cool

those are the band kids, and they're the kids who like school

Everyone knows where they're supposed to be, everyone belongs except for me

Drifting

in a world where everyone tries to be different, im the only one who tries to be the same

everyone knows my face, no one knows my name

when you're lost in a crowd there is no way to get out even when you shout and i begin to doubt what my life is about

Difting

if high school prepares you for the real world, then my lifes been a waste

help me oh lord, help me find my place

To drift for an age and never be calm

This is my proverb

This is my psalm  

:dragon2:

wow this thing is old, i dont even remember getting this much feedback. Here i decided to work on it a little. Edited by MeThinksUFoolish

I can definitely relate to this one. I always had the feeling that I never truly belonged, even though if I really wanted to, I could have "fit" in any of the cliques.

While I preferred some parts of your revised version, I kind of liked it when it was short (not an attention-span thing, either). Sometimes you can say all you need in a few words. :)

That's an awesome poem. My life feels like that sometimes...pointless, meaningless. You've got a nice rhyme thing going too. The only part I didn't care for was this line.

take me now lord, they dont want me in this place

That seemed a little sudden, and it sounds like a death wish. A bit dark for the rest of the poem, I thought.

Anyway, I love this poem, and at this time it really relates to my life...

That's an awesome poem. My life feels like that sometimes...pointless, meaningless. You've got a nice rhyme thing going too. The only part I didn't care for was this line.

take me now lord, they dont want me in this place

That seemed a little sudden, and it sounds like a death wish. A bit dark for the rest of the poem, I thought.

Anyway, I love this poem, and at this time it really relates to my life...

i know what yur saying. it does sound a bit suicidal and thats not what i want but im having trouble getting something else to fit. i defeintly want some sort of plea to the lord but i dont want it to sound like hes going to kill himself