The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Wayward Daughter

Salinye

This will be a bit of a small saga. It will also most likely be at the very least partially multi-authored. I have it in the Assembly hall rather than the Conservator because it's not an rp. I have the storyline completel mapped out, I just won't be writing it entirely by myself. I feel like some of the characters involved would write their thoughts and actions better than I could. :0) I hope you enjoy the read!

~Salinye :butterfly:

Gyrfalcon walked through the dense forest scanning the area with his keen jade colored eyes for any signs of danger or inconsistency. He crouched to observe the underbrush now and then looking for any indication that the far away (yet too close for comfort) colony of orcs hadn’t gotten brave enough to start entering the woods again. This patch of land, to the East of Pen Castle was among the areas he commonly patrolled helping to ensure the safety of The Pen as well as stay abreast of the recent nearby activity. Since Salinye had found her way to The Pen, he found himself patrolling the areas near the hostel more frequently than before. He had of course been aware of the building, could even remember when it was built. However, the obvious high elven architecture had been enough to keep him from ever making a neighborly visit.

Meeting Salinye and learning she was the mistress of Custos Manor had been a pleasant surprise, for she turned out to be one high elf that he could respect. His growing friendship with the mage, combined with past attacks on the hostel made him extra careful in his patrols. If there was a threat within the lands he wanted to know about it BEFORE an attack. Next time if anyone was going to have the element of surprise it would be his allies.

As if the ranger’s thoughts were pulled from his mind to reality he sensed a presence within the woods. Crouching about ten feet from the path he blended in well with the foliage watching and waiting. Whoever was approaching was taking care to do so as silently as possible. However, he was one with the forests. They whispered to him, and he felt the gentle shift in the atmosphere indicating he had stumbled into an area that was occupied by more than just he and the wild life.

Not having to wait long, the ranger’s instincts proved truthful as a cloaked figure walked purposefully along the beaten dirt path. Although the figure was cloaked he could tell by her gait that she was a woman. No man walked with such a feminine sway. Stopping, the woman looked from side to side as if she might also sense another presence besides her own. As she turned her face in Gyrfalcon’s direction he couldn’t help but smile. Although her cloak kept her face well shaded, he’d know that blonde lock that dropped next to her face and out of the hood anywhere. Salinye. He thought.

He knew her well enough to know that she feared this forest, although she had never talked about why. He knew it couldn’t be related to the onslaught of undead that poured from the shelter of the trees to overrun the hostel long ago when she first arrived, for her fear was already in place before that. To see her traveling through here alone told the ranger one of two things. Either she was trying to overcome her fear, or she had a purpose for being there. Not wanting to disturb her yet, he followed her from a close distance. Even though he was only half elven, being a ranger he was able to travel through the underbrush with an unrivaled stealth.

As his body passed through the foliage of the forest floor he carefully picked a handful of wild flowers while keeping a protective eye on the wizardess and surrounding area. It was as she stopped that the ranger froze too, sensing whatever it was that caused her to pause as well. Another presence, we are not alone. Even as this realization was forming in his mind another cloaked figure stepped out onto the path from behind some trees. Although cloaked, the figure was much larger and broad shouldered, obviously a man who carried himself like that of a warrior.

The ranger dropped the flowers raising his hand above his shoulder sliding his bow down into his hands. Reaching up to pull down an arrow he stopped mid reach surprised at what took place next.

Salinye paused as the figure stepped out from the tree line. It only took a moment for her to know it was him. She would know him anywhere, cloaked or otherwise. Her love for him stemmed back to her early childhood. She quickly ran to him, the breeze of doing so throwing back the hood of her cloak. The stranger wrapped his arms around her in a loving embrace and she clung to him kissing him adoringly upon the cheek. “It’s been too long.” She muttered.

“Aye, it has, my dear, but we should really go somewhere….more safe.” He replied scanning the grounds uneasy with the feeling that they were being watched.

The wizardess nodded pulling her hood back up to shadow her head and face. Holding his hand and calling arcane symbols to her mind she summoned a simple transport spell and the two disappeared in a gust of wind and twinkling light.

Gyrfalcon slumped back against the tree he had been hiding behind, his thoughts whirling in a confused jumble inside him as the last sparkles of Salinye's magic dissipated. Who was the man she had met with, and why had they greeted each other so familiarly? As far as Gyrfalcon knew, her father was dead, and she had certainly never mentioned any other close relations...

The ranger closed his eyes and sighed, turning his thoughts away from Salinye and towards his own swirling emotions. He was surprised, yes, because Salinye hated venturing into the woods alone. But he was also surprised that she had chosen to meet a strange man so secretly, trying to hide his presence and their time together. The thought of the two hugging together tightly, kissing... With a growl, Gyrfalcon hammered his fist against the tree trunk, then paused and stepped back, massaging his hand. He considered his actions, and recognized that he was acting badly. He didn't know all the facts yet, and until he did, he had no right to make any judgments. The half-elf firmly shelved the thoughts and moved onward.

But as he did so, he realized that he felt vaguely hurt, though he logically knew that there were a dozen reasons why Salinye might not have told him about her friend. Those reasons ranged anywhere from not thinking it necessary to it not being any of his business and more.

Finally, Gyrfalcon sorted through his emotions enough to admit to himself that he felt vaguely jealous. The idea of Salinye running to the other man's arms discomforted the half-elf, for reasons he didn't know. "Wonderful... I wonder if I should talk to Daryl about this." Gyrfalcon considered his words, then laughed and shook his head. The day he came to Daryl for advice was the world would probably go asunder. As it was, the half-elf sighed and shrugged. He looked at the scattered flowers and started towards the area he had been patrolling, intent on finishing his patrol and returning to the Pen.

The half-elf hesitated in mid step and glanced back, towards where the Hostel was located. He knew that if he didn't ask Salinye, his questions would gnaw at him. But he also knew it was most likely none of his business and he should leave things well enough alone and let Salinye do as she wished. He hesitated for a long, long moment, then turned towards the Hostel. He knew that the woods were most likely totally clear, and that now was as good a time as any to visit the Hostel.

Moving at a ground-eating trot, Gyrfalcon slipped through the woods towards Salinye's Hostel.

Elsewhere...

The high elf looked around the crude gloomy “conference” room. Shadows dance as an unknown wind whistles through the cave. Orange hued rings checked with cold shadows flicker upon the rough rock walls. The table’s unrefined wood surface forming a lopsided circle. The circular top sat upon what looked to be a piece of an entire tree trunk. The chairs that were strewn around the table were far too oversized for the elven men who preferred to stand. The room was distastefully littered with the bones and other remnants of different creatures ranging from humanoid to forest animals.

The largest orc in the room sat in a lavish chair clearly stolen from an elegant thrown room, across from the group of elven men. The beast hardly fit into its worn velvet structure, however, he insisted in doing so as a show of his rank and power within the orc society. Filling the cavern behind him stood an array of armed orc warriors all wearing the smug look that captors give to a rather elusive captive.

The leader spoke in a series of grunts and growls waiting while a blonde elf rolled his eyes with forced tolerance and translated to his leader. “The beast says, if you can call the words that fall from his muzzle language, that we are brave to enter his home so boldly.”

The elven leader looked humored. “I suppose we might as well get the unpleasantries out of the way. You see these whistles that hang from the necks of all my men?” He raised up the deceivingly delicate looking rod that hung from a silver chain around his own neck pausing as his words were translated into the orc’s vulgar language. “If but one of us blows one of these whistles, the alarm will be raised in Fe’Thwyn and you’ll be overrun within minutes. Not only are these whistles upon the men you see, but also upon those you don’t.”

The orc leader growled slamming his fist upon the table causing it to momentarily tip in his direction as the words were translated to him. He wasn’t happy about having his advantage taken from him or the insinuation that more elves were present than they could see. He hated elves and especially their magic.

The translator looked to his leader with a smirk. “He says, “What do you want ____” followed by an orcish swear word that I’m sure is quite filthy and insulting.”

“Tell him that now that the hostilities can be put to side, we bring him a gift.” Snapping his fingers a few of the elven men brought forward a human hunter while pulling the cloth bag off his head. The human’s eyes grew wide in terror at finding himself in the midst of lumbering orcs and elves alike. He didn’t speak orc or elvish, however, he knew with a grave clarity that the situation was in no way good for him. “This pathetic human chose the wrong day for observation. We’ll release him to you at the end of our meeting.”

The orcs stared at the human greedily as they were told he would be their prize. “Now,” the elven lord continued. “Shall we get on with the negotiations?”

Edited by Salinye

Salinye walked through the gates of her Hostel, smiling tiredly and breathing deeply of the flower-scented air as she glanced around out of habit, noting that everything was in place. As she approached the doors to the Hostel, they opened before her and one of the many staff members of the Hostel stepped out. "M'lady Salinye, it is good you are back. You have a visitor waiting for you."

“A visitor? What a lovely way to end a lovely day.” She responded wistfully. “Who is it, and where are they waiting?”

“M’lord No’Dessu, M’lady. He was out in the gardens, but I believe he is currently taking dinner by the fire.”

“Wonderful, I think I’ll join him. I’m famished.” She said hanging her cloak upon an elegantly carved coat tree next to the front door before winding her way through the hostel in search of Gyrfalcon. Not finding him in the dining hall she checked the various rooms containing a fireplace. She might have walked past the casual sitting room not seeing him. However, she recognized the quiver she had made him for his birthday resting against the side of the high backed overstuffed chair that he sat in. Only the back of his head was visible from where she peeked into the room.

With a sly smile she slowly made her way into the room intending to sneak up on the ranger to surprise him. Something she had never yet been successful at. It was a subtle thing, and Salinye barely noticed it. Her elven tread, so light that it barely stirred a whisper, happened to land on the edge of a board. There was the faintest of creaks, but Gyrfalcon looked over his shoulder. He smiled faintly. "Salinye, good to see you."

The elven woman couldn’t help but laugh as she placed her hands gently upon his shoulders giving them a squeeze before settling down into another overstuffed chair. Propping her sandal-clad feet upon the marble hearth of the fireplace she leaned her head against the back of the intricately designed burgundy chair turning her face to look sideways at him with a sweet smile. “Your ranger skills are quite honed, GyrE.” Gyrfalcon nodded his thoughts elsewhere, his eyes absent. The mere look he gave her caused the smile to slowly fade from her lips. Something is wrong.

Nodding again, he took a deep breath. "Speaking of ranger skills, Salinye, I happened to be patrolling the forests near the Hostel this day." His eyes alternated between what was left of the meal in front of him and Salinye's face as he spoke. The wizardess sat forward bringing her feet back down to the floor not expecting his abrupt nature. Nervously twisting the material of her silky red gown she looked down to her hands for a moment before raising her eyes to meet his once again. “Oh?”

Gyrfalcon smiled faintly. "In fact, I was sneaking up on you to surprise you, much as you tried to do so with me." Salinye felt her face start to heat up in a familiar blush, however the laughter that usually danced in her eyes to accompany it was not present. Without realizing it she held her breath, her mind and heart racing.

His eyes growing grave, he struggled with himself not to take her reactions the wrong way. "I noticed you meet with a cloaked gentleman who you seemed to be quite… familiar with." Gyrfalcon said, his voice carefully neutral.

Did you see his face?" She asked bluntly with deep concern and fear clearly entwined within her features

"No. Would I have known him if I had?” He asked narrowing his eyes surprised at her response.

“No. Did you hear me say his name?” She leaned forward resting her elbows upon her knees staring into his eyes intently.

“What’s going on, Salinye?” He asked countering with his own questions.

“Please, Gyre. Did you hear me say his name?”

"No, I didn't, but I do expect an answer to my question, Salinye. What's going on that you should meet this man in such secrecy?"

With an evident sigh of relief she closed her eyes against the new issues at hand. After long moments of silent contemplation passed she finally opened her eyes meeting Gyrfalcon’s gaze and answered softly her eyes searching for understanding. "I can't explain to you."

Gyrfalcon’s eyes narrowed again. “Why?”

Standing up she paced wrapping her arms around her middle to calm the butterflies that upset her stomach. "It's not what you think, or what I think you are thinking. I…just…need you to trust me."

Gyrfalcon growled softly. "Salinye, you have my trust, always. But I'd appreciate at least some reason why you were meeting this man out in the forest, where you almost never venture!"

Hesitating for a few moments the wizardess was torn between feeling pleasantly surprised that he was “concerned” about this situation and feeling horrified at having her secret meeting discovered by him. Kneeling in front of where he sat she looked up at him her eyes pleading for understanding and hoping to speak the right words. "I know....it looks bad, Gyre. He *IS* someone very important and very special to me. I do love him, but not in the sense of romance."

He nodded to her willing to listen, his voice still carrying a very reserved neutral tone. “A family member, then?”

“No, a friend. A very close friend.”

“Why the secrecy?”

He waited patiently while she pondered how to answer. Clearly painted with fear of saying too much she chose her words very carefully. “Gyre, my reputation is....less than desirable in certain circles within my home city. There are many… secrets in politics.”

The games of politics were not new to the ranger. “A friend… but one who's own reputation might suffer if it be known that he met with you?"

Confirming his statement with a nod she muttered, “I shouldn’t have been so careless as to meet with him so close to the Hostel.”

Gyrfalcon crinkled his brow. “Why? Do you suspect spies here?”

“No. It's just dangerous for anyone to know that we regularly spend time together. It is my fondest desire to protect him.”

A slight hint of annoyance crept into his voice. "You can trust me to keep my mouth closed though, Salinye. You can trust Daryl, too."

“I know.” She spoke quickly wanting to reassure him that trust wasn’t the issue. “ I do trust you both immensely. I have kept this secret out of a promise to him, just as he keeps it secret as a promise to me.”

Nodding with a slow resigned sigh he stood helping Salinye back to her feet. "I suspect that there is quite a bit that you aren't telling me, but I understand why you are not, so I will not pry."

Taking his hand causing some of the gentleness to return to his eyes as he looked at her she spoke sincerely her tone laced with lingering concern. "Gyre..I don't like to keep anything from you. I'm sorry I have to keep this one secret. Does the situation still worry you?

Running his free hand along the back of his neck a bit uncomfortably he considered her question. "That you've cast me aside for an old flame. Maybe a little, but not much. I'd like to meet this friend of yours at some point, though."

Salinye couldn’t help but smile. “You are worried I’d cast you aside, ranger?” The thought that he worried about such things was so new and foreign to her that she couldn’t keep the surprise from her face.

Gyrfalcon chuckled at her reaction. “Well, you do have to admit. I am a bit old for you.”

“Oh yes, but I could also flip the coin and worry I’m too young for you.” She teased back still taken off guard by these brief, revealing statements. She couldn’t always read the half elf, and although their friendship was quite close, she never quite knew how he viewed her. “On a more serious note, if the situation was reversed, you know I’d be crazy jealous and not nearly as calm as you.” Her thoughts wandered back to a particular incident involving Signe. “Way to make me look bad.” She grinned sheepishly.

Gyrfalcon chuckled "Oh, I took out my frustrations on a poor, unsuspecting tree out in the forest and then decided to not pass judgment. After all, you did ask me to trust you, and no relationship can survive without trust."

Trying to lighten the moment Salinye folded her arms across her chest doing her best to look scolding and horrified. “You injured one of MY trees?”

“No, actually, I injured one of MY trees.” He replied with a wink.

“Well, we’ll just have to add that to our shared custody list along with Daryl.”

Smiling he motioned to a food tray and her chair, the deep burgundy hues of which nearly matched the red of her dress. “Have you eaten yet?”

Smiling she settled back down into her chair. “No, actually, we didn’t have any time to eat today.” She cringed inwardly and bit her lower lip at the implications her statement could give.

The half elf smiled deciding to take the statement at face value settling back down in his chair as well. “Understandable, when one has to meet in secrecy, you can’t go out for lunch.”

“Yes, exactly.” She sighed relieved.

Gyrfalcon couldn't help but tease. "But I do have to ask... what were you two doing that would make you forget food?"

Salinye blushed fiercely the twinkle returning to her eyes. "Not the things you and Signe did behind her enfolded wings, I assure you." She teased back

"Ah good, for having a soul-draining succubus go for the neck is a bit disconcerting." He chuckled.

Salinye narrowed her eyes at the succubus given collar around his neck frowning with disdain. “We really must do something about that.”

“Someday.” He returned her smile as pleasant silence fell between them. Her blue-eyed gaze returned to watch the flames perform their dance within the hearth and concern slowly crept up to taint her elven features. Leaning over the arm of his chair Gyrfalcon reached out to brush a stray lock of hair off her face. He couldn’t help but notice the contrast of his well tanned and weathered hand against the creamy more delicate color of her cheek. Just one of many signs that showed the two very different worlds they each came from. “You shouldn’t worry so much, Salinye.” He said as she turned to look at him.

Hiding the worry behind a soft smile she replied. "I'll try. I just...you don't need to worry, either."

“…And I won’t.”

“I’m going to hold you to that.”

“You do that.” He winked with a smile.

Edited by Salinye

The warm rays of first morning light shone through the sheer gold curtains of Salinye’s bedroom chambers giving it a warm golden glow. The elf loved to be slowly summoned from her slumber by the warmth of dawn. Opening her eyes she stretched the bottom of her foot touching the wet nose of Daryl who was curled up at the foot of her bed. In response to being nudged he simply rolled over and continued to snore softly. The werefox, it would appear, was not as fond of the first morning light. Climbing out of bed Salinye was careful not to disturb the fox any more and gently covered him up with her thick comforter.

Prancing across the cold polished floor she reached her standing armoire slipping on a cream silk bathrobe and some slippers. She had barely done so when there was a soft knock at her door. She wasn’t usually contacted this early in the morning. Opening the door she smiled at a still sleepy-eyed Lethia. The girl insisted on being her personal assistant even if it meant being pulled out of bed at the crack of dawn. “I’m sorry to disturb you, Lady Celestialgrace, but you received this missive early this morning bearing the Celestialgrace crest in its wax seal. I remembered you always said..” Her explanation was cut off as Salinye reached out grabbing the scroll from her inspecting the seal closely in surprise. “…to bring anything that arrived from Fe’Thwyn right to you immediately.” She finished.

Looking up from the scroll she met the girl’s eager-to-please eyes. “Thank you, Lethia. Anything from Fe’Thwyn is very important to me. I appreciate your loyal attention to this matter.” Smiling she curtsied to the serving girl in humble appreciation winning a wide smile as the girl curtsied back and skipped down the hall. Salinye couldn’t help but laugh. She remembered being such a bright eyed adoring girl once too.

Walking to her desk she settled down within the soft moss green chair that sat before it. She rolled the scroll in her hands thinking. No one from Fe’Thwyn, besides Gabriel, had contacted her in all the years she had been gone. Especially no one from Celestialgrace estates. Her mother certainly wouldn’t contact her…or would she? Had something happened to her mother and one of the staff was writing to inform her? The mage felt a slight panic tightening in her chest and had to regroup herself mentally. The scroll is right in your hands, open it and find out what it’s about rather than work yourself into a frenzy of speculation. She chastised herself inwardly.

Taking a deep breath she broke the deep emerald green seal and unrolled the scroll to read:

Daughter~

I have made arrangements so that you can pay me a visit. I request you do so post haste.

~Mother

Edited by Salinye

A soft knock at the door stopped the wizardess’ chase of the fox who craftily slid across the marble floor disappearing beneath her bed. Salinye sighed throwing the thick towel over her shoulder while brushing drenched blonde strands of hair out of her face. Opening the door she found herself standing face to face with Gyrfalcon who took a step back to fully take in her bathrobe clad half drenched appearance. He tried with much restraint to keep a straight face. Only the subtle twitching of the corners of his mouth let her know how hard he was trying. She could feel a hot flush rising from her neck into her face. A regular occurrence these days.

“OH go ahead and laugh. I know I look a fright! But it’s that pesky fox’s fault!” She said with good humor stepping back so the ranger could enter her chambers.

Gyrfalcon looked around the room at the trail of bubbles and raised an eyebrow, “Tell me you didn’t try to give Daryl a bath. Salinye, you know he’s not a pet.”

“Of course he’s not a pet!” She retorted dropping the towel to the ground beginning to mop up some of the water with her foot. “I didn’t try to give him a bath, I gave him a bath he agreed to. It’s the scented oils he was running from.”

Daryl stuck his head out from under the bed looking to Gyrfalcon for sympathy. “Oh come on out, Fur face. Show the ranger how good you look.” The werefox grumbled slowly crawling out from under the bed revealing his shiny groomed red coat.

“Actually, Daryl. You look pretty good. The tail’s a bit fluffier than usual, but other than that, I’d say she did a good job.” The ranger said with a humored smirk.

Daryl yipped his protests to the mage. “I said NO fluffing!”

“Oh you hush! It was just a little fluffing in the tail area! It looks good and I think you’ll live! It’s not like you didn’t get a nice full body massage and a bath that was enchanted to bubble for enhanced relaxation!” She scolded playfully placing her hands on her drenched hips. Daryl in response turned flipping his tail at her haughtily before jumping up on the bed to curl up and pretend to sulk.

Moving his eyes from Daryl back to the high elf a smirk made it’s way back into his features. “It looks like maybe you got more of a bath than he did.”

Salinye blushed again highly aware of her dumpy appearance. “Shoosh you.”

“Hey now, I didn’t say you didn’t look good. You should go with the wet look more often. Really, I think it suits you. You could start a new trend of mage fashion.” He chuckled.

Picking up a pillow she threw it hitting him square in the face. “I’m not playing this game crazy ranger!” She said covering her shyness at his comments with mock attitude before stalking off to the bathroom. “I’ll be out in 15 minutes. Don’t leave, I need to talk with you!”

The moment the door to the bathroom closed Daryl popped up out of his pretend sulking to strut around the bed waiting to be admired. Rolling his eyes the ranger asked, “What is all this about, anyway?”

“I’ll let her Royal Highness tell you.”

Twenty minutes later

Salinye stepped out of the bathroom dressed and looking more like herself. Her long wet locks were brushed and hanging down her back. “You’re late.” Gyrfalcon said.

“Some things are worth waiting for.” She winked.

“Indeed.” He smirked.

“Stop that!”

Gyrfalcon and Daryl both laughed at the new pink rising in her cheeks. “It’s just that it’s so easy.”

“Yes well, let’s move on shall we?” She asked sitting upon her window bench.

“Sure, let’s start with why you felt the need to primp Daryl.”

Salinye smiled softly. Clearing her throat she began speaking as matter of factly as her emotions would allow. “I received a missive from Fe’Thwyn this morning. My mother requests that I visit. I do not wish to make the journey alone.”

The half elf raised a suspicious eyebrow. “You know, I can clean up and behave fairly well myself when the need arises.”

The mage couldn’t help but laugh. “Yes, I know. I just think perhaps this trip would be better made with Daryl. They won’t suspect he’s a werefox. He’ll pose as my pet and thus will be able to go anywhere I do.”

Nodding the ranger could see the logic in her thinking. She worded it so he would have to. “Alright. Just be careful then, Salinye. Keep yourself safe.” His tone dropped to a softer more serious one.

Standing Salinye walked to her desk and pulled out an intricately carved wooden box and approached the ranger. “Don’t worry, I don’t think she’s calling me home for an old fashioned lynching. Also, I have something I want you to have.”

Gyrfalcon took the wooden box into his hand and immediately admired the fine craftsmanship as he turned it over in his hands. “Wow, this is amazing work, Salinye.”

“Thank you, it was my fathers. But GyrE, the gift is inside.”

Looking up a bit sheepish he grinned. “Oh, right.” Opening the box he carefully removed a folded cream silk cloth. Setting the wooden box onto the desk he unfolded the cloth revealing a deceptively delicate appearing chain. Hanging from the chain was a silver rod set between what looked like wings of a bird. Recognizing the piece he asked "May I see yours?" Salinye nodded surprised that he recognized she wore a similar one and pulled hers out leaning forward to rest it in his hand so he could compare the two. Hers was just a bit smaller, more feminine than his. Before he could question the gift she offered explanation.

“This necklace may look rather flimsy and plain to you, however, do not think on it that way, for it is very important. It is a link to me. The rod between the wings is actually a whistle. If you blow on it, you will hear nothing, however, Charles will. No matter how many continents are between you and my dove, he will hear, and he will come. You may send word with him, he always knows where to find me.

You may think this a simple gift, but to me, it is much more. It is like giving part of Charles to someone else. Something I have never done. For if you summon him on that whistle, he will not return to me until he has found you and did your bidding, however, only your lips may summon him. All others will find nothing useful about that charm.”

Gyrfalcon listened sitting on the corner of her desk looking at the charm from new perspective. “So, he would always know where you are and therefore take me to you?”

“He will always know where I am. Whether or not he would take you to me would depend on the safety of the situation. However, he would always bring your words to me.”

The half elf placed the chain around his neck, it’s wispy strand nearly disappearing against his skin. “Thank you, Salinye. I wish I had such a gift to give you.”

“You have given me much, think nothing of it. Also, don’t let the delicate appearance fool you. That chain is stronger than steel.”

“Alright.” He said rolling the chain between his fingers.

“Also, if I send for you, will you come to Fe’Thwyn to visit me?”

Looking up he crinkled his brow. “You anticipate a lengthy visit?”

“I try to not to have any expectations for this visit. However, if I send for you, you will come, yes?”

“If you send for me, an entire city of snooty high elves couldn’t keep me away.” He said winning a smile of appreciation from the wizardess.

Edited by Salinye

Salinye walked through the peaceful, well-watched-over woods that surrounded Fe’Thwyn with the ground several feet below them. Daryl grumbled but didn’t complain as she summoned the powers of the wind to lift them as they traveled. Salinye took great care to look her best for this trip. She had spent more time primping in front of a mirror than she had done in years. She chose a dress of royal blue the color of which magnified the cobalt blue of her eyes. Her hair was half held up in intricate pin curls while the back was allowed to tumble freely hiding the silk covered buttons that ran down the spine of her gown. The distance between the meadow she teleported them to and Fe’Thwyn was not far, however, she didn’t want the forest floor tainting the hem of her dress.

Stopping just below the crest of a hill Salinye gathered her courage and knelt upon the pocket of wind looking into his golden eyes. “Daryl, once we cross this hill, we will be able to see the white marble walls of the city. I’m afraid now is the time I need to ask you to wear this.” Opening her hand she let a delicate chain leash tumble down near his nose.

Daryl growled displeased but lowered his head submissively. They had debated, argued, and discussed this issue for nearly two hours that morning. The wizardess showed him that the collar part of the chain was flexible enough that he could pull his head free at any time and promised she would only ask him to wear it in areas of the city and Celestialgrace household that were absolutely necessary. It was only for appearances sake, and the bottom line that actually made the werefox consent was that he did want to be able to remain at Salinye’s side anywhere she went. He didn’t know what to expect from this “visit”, however, being in fox form heightened many of his senses, and if Salinye was this tense, then there was reason to worry.

She carefully slipped the collar around his neck and kissed his furry forehead. “Thank you, Daryl. I never wish to humiliate or dishonor you. I know the sacrifice you are making for me and I appreciate it.” He was still not happy, but nuzzled her beneath the chin to let her know he understood the reasoning. Standing the two walked up the hill and out of the forest setting their eyes on the breathtakingly beautiful sight of Fe’Thwyn in all its glory.

Sylvia Celestialgrace stood upon the balcony that surrounded a lush sitting room looking down upon the back of her daughter’s head. She received word almost immediately upon Salinye's return into the city of Fe’Thwyn. The news had fallen upon the mistress of Celestialgrace Estates like a load of bricks. Even though she had summoned her daughter she wasn't sure she was up to the task at hand. The woman retired almost immediately into her private quarters to be alone. Over the years she had undergone a series of emotions regarding her daughter.

At first her daughter’s disappearance had been hard on her. She first, like any mother, mourned the loss of her daughter. Part of her, the part she would never reveal publicly, however was relieved during the years when Salinye was assumed dead. It was a few years after her daughter fled Fe’Thwyn that she received word that her daughter was indeed alive and running a hostel for vagabonds. The news filled Silvia with renewed and mixed emotions.

Salinye had always been a handful, especially after her father’s death. She left home in pursuit of all the things that they had taught her to be against. Sylvia thought, perhaps once the high council stripped the girl of her royal rights that she would mend her ways and walk a proper path again, however, that was not the case. If anything it seemed to fan the fire of obstinance in the young wizardess.

In truth, Salinye had turned into an embarrassment for the family. Silvia always found herself trying to explain away Salinye's association with people of vulgar appearance and her lack of care for the High Elven lifestyle and beliefs. She always felt responsible for her daughter’s rebellion. Once her daughter was assumed dead she was relieved of that burden-NOT that she wished her daughter dead, she did not. She may be a cold woman, but she was not completely heartless. She was simply intelligent enough to recognize the peace that seemed to settle over her household since her daughters "disappearance".

However, knowing Salinye was alive and in the world somewhere gnawed at the Matriarch of Celestialgrace Estates and here she sat, five years later....and with a fox no less. The enchantress slowly made her way around the balcony never taking her eye off the back of her daughter’s head. As she rounded the corner to the turning staircase she could see her daughter a bit clearer. She paused, a bit taken aback by the sight of the mage as she rose in respectful greeting. A fairly large well-groomed fox at her side appropriately leashed.

Salinye curtsied demurely before her mother. "Hello, mother. It is good to see you." She spoke in her natural tongue not entirely sure if Daryl spoke the language or not. Silvia ran her eyes up and down Salinye’s figure in assessment before turning her eyes down to Daryl who sat politely upon his haunches.

“You look well, Salinye.” Her voice was cool and matter of fact.

“Thank you.” Salinye had to use every bit of will power not to fidget nervously. Sylvia now smiled as she finished her descent into the room finally sitting down in a stiff high backed chair. Servants immediately attentive to her needs. Salinye returned to her place on the loveseat as they were offered their choice of tea.

“A year after you left, you disappeared untraceable for two years. Where were you?” Salinye’s mother had never been one for small talk.

Salinye didn't bother with long-winded explanations, she simply answered with the briefest answers that would be accepted. "The dungeons of Teltaleth." Her mother's normally controlled features widened in obvious surprise and horror. She thought perhaps she even saw a soft moment of a mothers concern flicker through her crystal blue eyes.

"Then you have come to realize the brutalities of the Drow?”

"I have never thought that there weren't those like that, Mother."

"I see." Here there was a long pause as mother and daughter faced each other. "Tell me, Salinye, why have you returned in this manner?"

“Because you summoned me.”

“Why did you accept my invitation?”

Salinye's features softened, her words pouring out of her. "I miss you mother, and I miss Zhoi. I know what you all think of me. I don't wish to compromise my personal values and beliefs, but I DO wish to compromise with you. I'm willing to work something out so that I can walk among my people again."

"Then what are you willing to compromise, daughter." Sylvia bit the word 'daughter' more hard than the other words as if to remind Salinye who she is. "We've come to this stance before, Salinye. I can ask you to give up all your little campaigns and associations with the dark community, but what will that prove? You've already made your connections, made your stance clear. You will never give up "friends", that's one of the things you made clear last time we spoke when you were betrothed to that.....inky."

Daryl couldn’t understand the language, but as Sylvia’s tone dropped to an icy level he jumped up into Salinye’s lap curling up protectively. "His name was Dainin Teken'Dridel and he..." Salinye's words were cut off by fierce ones of her mothers.

"WE do NOT speak that name in this household." Sylvia stared at her daughter daring her to challenge her authority. Salinye bit her tongue placing a comforting hand upon Daryl's back and nodded respectfully trying her hardest to play her mothers game. Keep cool, Salinye. Continuing her fathers legacy was worth a bit of verbal lashing. "I assume you are through with that nonsense?"

"If you are asking if I am still betrothed to D...him, then the answer is no."

"Very well. I will not ask why, in your favor I will assume you came to your senses. Now, who is your new beau? Are you unattached?”

Salinye was quick to answer, and her mother did not miss the slight blush that filled Sal's face. “I have friends that are dear to me, but yes I am otherwise unattached.”

Her mother picked up her teacup to take a swallow. "Ahh yes, you and your pursuit of 'romance'. You see where that got you, right into the dungeons of Teltaleth." It took all of Salinye's willpower not to argue with the her mother, even as she was strongly baited.

"Well, Salinye, my suggestion has not changed. I can only think of one solution that would be acceptable, and seeing as you have no beau-Lord Attaway still wishes your hand in marriage. If you will consent to this, then I think the high council would return your royal status. Lord Attaway is highly respected and very wealthy. If you were willing to be his bride, than the council would see you truly have a desire to walk on a proper path."

Salinye could feel the color draining from her face as the thought of being Garon Attaway's bride settled in on her. In some ways it wouldn't be so bad, she had long ago given up on ever finding true love, and there was certainly no way she would ever love Lord Attaway. Most people would sacrifice a lot for their family and inner passions. Continuing the legacy her father started in working to show her people that their black and white cut and dry views on life and people were skewed was part of her lifelong dream. If no opportunities of romance and love were open for her, than what was she really sacrificing by agreeing to this union? She would win the respect of her family and city again, and regain her rights to her heritage as well as a political status that would put her in the position of actually having some sway.

Sylvia continued, "It's good that you won't have to deal with any messy breakups in order to go through with this union, however, you should keep in mind that it isn't proper for one who is betrothed to be tromping around the forest with random woodelf men. I’ve had reports of the type of people you associate with."

"Mother, do not ask me to stop associating with my friends, you know as well as I do that's a sacrifice I will not make."

"Well, if you agree to marry Lord Attaway, what you WILL and will NOT do are no longer my responsibility. Am I correct in assuming that you returned to me knowing these would be the conditions and that you accept them?"

Meeting her mother’s eyes coolly she responded. “I suspected this might be your reason for summoning me. As for whether or not I agree, I’ll need some time.”

“Time?” Her mother scoffed. “What for? To decide if life is better here or in your precious hostel?” Seeing the defiance rise within Salinye’s blue eyes, Silvia knew she was approaching grounds that wavered on causing her daughter to turn around without considering her proposition. “Very well. You have three days.”

Once the door to her old bedroom chambers was shut she slumped down into a chair with her elbows upon her knees cradling her face. Daryl sat up to place his front paws against her leg and nuzzle her arm. “What was that all about? Why are you so upset? What did the ice queen say? Want me to do something awful to her? Itching powder in her underwear drawer? Short Sheet her bed? Cut her hair while she’s sleeping?” He yipped at her in Fox.

Salinye stood walking hurriedly to the window opening it. “I need to see GyrE.” Charles flew in the open window landing upon the windowsill chortling a greeting. She scribbled a quick missive and placed it within the wooden scroll tube reattaching it to Charles’ leg. She then spoke to the dove in an unrecognizable language and watched him fly from the room. Daryl followed her back to the chair she originally sat in and jumped upon her lap as she settled down to fill him in on her “homecoming meeting”.

Edited by Salinye

• 2 weeks later...

Gyrfalcon patted his horse's neck comfortingly as the brown gelding whickered and threw his head. "I know, it's starting to get colder at night, isn't it? Don't worry, only a few more weeks and we'll be done patrolling until spring." The gelding whickered again and snorted, plumes of steam rising from his nostrils.

"You didn't have to put it like that." the half-elf commented wryly, the gelding snorted again. "Okay, so maybe you did." the half-elf conceded.

A flutter of wings distracted him from their conversation. He looked up to see a white dove hoot at him before fluttering down to land on the gelding's neck. It hooted again and extended a leg towards him. Gyrfalcon leaned forward and looked closely, seeing a tiny scroll case attached to the limb. Gently he unstrapped the container and extracted the tiny scroll held within.

"Thank you." the ranger said absently, studying the scroll intently, reading the tiny yet precise words within. The note was simple, the letters a little quick.

"GyrE,

Remember when you said that you'd come if I called? I'm calling.

-Salinye"

Gyrfalcon rolled the scroll up and looked at the dove, who must be Salinye's Charles. The dove presented his leg again, hooting at the half-elf for a reply. The ranger quickly flipped the note and wrote a short reply, glad that he had long ago taken to carrying an inkpot and quill.

"I'll be there as soon as I can." the half-elf wrote, signing his name and carefully rolling the scroll tight before replacing it within Charles' scroll case. The half-elf sealed the case, and Charles hooted before fluttering into the air and winging his way towards the east, and to Fe'Thwyn.

Gyrfalcon tucked away the quill and ink, and then looked down at his horse. "Well, it looks like we have some ground to cover. Let's go." The half-elf heeled the horse gently, and they galloped east.

Three days later, a dust-covered rider reined in his horse at the main gates of Fe'Thwyn. The guards crossed their pikes, and one scowled as he saw the visitor's pointed ears- pointed, but not elven.

"Who are you, and what is your business in Fe'Thwyn?" the soldier demanded, his voice hostile. Gyrfalcon narrowed his eyes, but otherwise failed to react. "I am Gyrfalcon No'Dessu, and my presence was requested."

"And who requested your presence?" the other guard demanded.

"By Lady Celestialgrace." Gyrfalcon stated flatly.

"Hah!" one of them snorted, but protocol demanded he check the list anyway. With a wave of his hand, the list appeared, and he spoke quietly. "Gyrfalcon No'Dessu." the scroll glowed, and unwound until one name blazed blue from the list.

"What?" the other said, surprised.

"You may pass, half-human." the first said after studying the list for a long moment. "Try not to track in any vermin."

Gyrfalcon smiled. "I shouldn't have to worry, you're outside." Before the guards could respond, the half-elf heeled the horse and trotted through the gates.

Within the city, the half-elf found a better reception at one of the first inns he checked at, one catering to the wealthy foreign merchants who could purchase entrance.

"The Celestialgrace Estate? Don't know why you'd want to go there, but it's easy enough to find, just keep on going down the main boulevard and you'll find it, right at the end." a well-clad wood elf said after a few quick questions. Gyrfalcon smiled and bought the merchant's next round in thanks before departing.

Twenty minutes later, the half-elf arrived at the front entrance of the Celestialgrace Estate, only to again be confronted once more by unsmiling guards. "Halt!" the one on the left demanded, and Gyrfalcon reined in his horse and dismounted, holding onto the saddle for a moment before trusting his tired legs to support his weight.

"I am Gyrfalcon No'Dessu. I believe Lady Salinye Celestialgrace is expecting my presence." Gyrfalcon announced. The guard scrutinized Gyrfalcon, noting that he did look much like the arrival was supposed to.

"I am told that you will possess a certain amulet that Lady Salinye gifted to you." the guard said, his voice neutral, revealing nothing. Gyrfalcon nodded.

"Of course." he said, withdrawing the amulet and showing it to the guard. The elf's eyes widened slightly then returned to normal. "You are who M'lady Salinye expected. If you would follow me..." the guard said, turning and walking through the opening gates. Gyrfalcon followed, leading his horse. As they approached the front entrance, Gyrfalcon intercepted a servant and handed the startled man the reins. "Please hand him off to the stable master, if you would. He is to be rubbed down warmly and fed- mostly grass, but some oats would be good for him." Gyrfalcon instructed.

"Have the horse rubbed down and fed, yes sir." the startled servant never even bothered to consider where the orders were coming from as he led the horse off.

The guard cleared his throat. "If you would come this way." he said, his voice trailing off meaningfully.

"Of course." Gyrfalcon said, smiling slightly as he followed.

The guard led the half-elf within the house, through large and sunlight corridors, and finally to a doorway where another guard stood. The two confer, then the second guard slips inside. Within moments, he opens the door, and the guard motions Gyrfalcon to enter.

The ranger does so, and Salinye turns from the window to face him, smiling. Gyrfalcon begins to speak, but as their eyes lock, he notices more then subtle differences. The woman in front of him, so like the Salinye he knows, is somehow a little harder, her face a little bitter, her smile empty and her eyes very, very cold.

Gyrfalcon bows. "M'lady. I do not believe we have had the pleasure." he said, smoothly recovering.

The woman inclines her head a bare fraction of an inch. "I do not believe so. You are No'Dessu, I presume?" her voice was perfectly calm, and ice cold, the faintest hint of condescension hanging around it like a foul mist.

Gyrfalcon smiles and bows slightly again. "I am Lord Gyrfalcon No'Dessu indeed. Might I inquire your name, madam?"

"I am Duchess Silvia Celestialgrace." the woman replied. "Tell me, why should my daughter find your presence so urgent?"

Gyrfalcon smiles slightly. "I honestly could not say, though I am sure that she will reveal that reason to me shortly."

Her mouth smiled, though her eyes remained as cold as glaciers. "Indeed. I am sure you would like a chance to rest." the half-elf bows slightly again.

"Indeed, it would be welcome. However, I should inform M'lady Salinye that I have arrived before I tend to my personal comfort."

"Indeed." Lady Sylvia flicked her fingers, and a guard stepped forward. "Please guide... Lord Gyrfalcon ... to my daughter, and remain with them to render whatever aid or directions they may need."

The guard bowed, and Gyrfalcon likewise gave a minimal bow. "I thank you for your... courtesy." the half-elf said, turning to leave.

"Indeed. I hope you find your return trip pleasant." Lady Silvia said.

"I suspect I shall." Gyrfalcon noted, his voice giving nothing away.

The two departed, and Lady Silvia watched the door for many long minutes, wondering why exactly her daughter had summoned this... half-breed, and what it meant.

Salinye smiled reminiscently as she gently ran a finger over the words she had just read in one of her father’s journals. She always did love reading in the Celestialgrace Estate gardens.

I think perhaps my Salinye will be filled with the spirit of the bull rather than the dove as her mother expects. Her adolescence has been trying for her mother and humorous for me.

How she loved and missed her father. He knew her so well. She was certain if he was still here that she wouldn’t feel so alone at this crossroad. He’d help her make the right decisions. She casually flipped through the journal pausing as the word “Attaway” caught her eye.

Promising Salinye to the first-born son of the Attaway family is brilliant politically. I respect Lord Attaway greatly. I can only hope his son will grow to be as honorable as his father. I watch the youth and at times I’m not entirely sure. The way his eyes follow my daughter tells me he is more than pleased with his promised union. However, I sometimes think perhaps a cloud of deception hides behind his hazel eyes. I will continue to watch the lad in hopes his demeanor improves with maturity.

Salinye couldn’t help but wonder if her father would still wish her to marry Garon Attaway. Despite the impressive political standing the union would bring both families, she couldn’t help but think her father would hold her happiness above those things. Closing the journal her thoughts were interrupted by the voice of a guard. In her reverie she had not heard him approaching. “My lady Salinye, you have a guest.”

Salinye’s heart quickened slightly as she smiled a true smile of relief. Gyrfalcon, at last he’s arrived. She thought relieved that he had shown up before the three-day deadline her mother had given her. Setting the journal upon the bench, she stood spinning around to face the guard and her guest. It took every ounce of willpower within the mage to keep her smile frozen upon her face rather than sinking into a frown as her heart did into her stomach.

It had been a long time since she had looked into Garon Attaway's handsome face. If only his disposition matched the beauty of his elven physique, perhaps she wouldn't have fled their union before. However, Salinye was never one to be swayed by outer appearances. Why he had remained unmarried over the years Salinye had been gone remained a mystery to her. It certainly wasn’t due to lack of interest. Nearly ever elven lady in the town would gladly sit in the honored position of his bride.

Lord Attaway bowed deeply before her lightly grasping her hand to place a gentleman’s kiss upon the back of it. Years of Elven training kicked in as she robotically curtsied with all the demure of royalty. “Lord Attaway, what a surprise.”

“Imagine the restraint I’ve had to exercise in not visiting you until now. However, be sure I wanted to rush over the moment I heard you had returned. I put aside my own desires in order to give you and your mother time together to get reacquainted.” He said his eyes never leaving hers while still clutching her hand in his.

“How very thoughtful of you.” She smiled gently removing her hand from his. Turning she picked up her fathers journal and placed it within a bag next to the bench. Garon watched her every move. It had been years since he had seen her. When her mother and he decided to invite her back extending his hand to her once more in marriage he more than believed she would not come. Yet here she was.

Salinye finished tucking the journal away and turned to face him once more. Blushing lightly she looked away uncomfortable to be caught under such a gaze. “Forgive my stare, Salinye.” Garon said as he realized his eyes may have lingered uncomfortably long upon her. “It’s as if I’m looking at a ghost. You’ve been away so long. I thought I’d never see you again. Yet, here you stand before me. Even more beautiful than I remember, something I didn’t think possible.”

A hot blush rose in Salinye’s neck to fill her face as she averted her eyes once more and cursed inwardly. She hated how easily she blushed. The last thing she wanted was for him to take it as a sign of her being pleasantly flattered rather than the extreme discomfort she felt at the way he looked at her. Forcing strength into her stance she raised her eyes to meet his once more. “Your words are too kind, M’lord. I assure you, I am not a ghost. I am the same person I was when I left.” Her words a subtle indication that her feelings had not changed. However, the message was lost upon the Duke.

“Of course you’re not a ghost.” He said offering her his arm. “But a vision to be appreciated.”

Salinye took his arm politely allowing him to walk with her through the gardens. She just wished the courtship style flattery would stop. “How have you been, M’lord? As you said, it has been a long time.”

“Please, Salinye. We are to be wed. Call me Garon. There is no need for such formalities between us.” Salinye clenched her jaw as he spoke assuming her decision would be to throw herself into his arms gladly accepting his offer of marriage. “However, I have been well. My business of import/export trade has become quite successful. In fact, we are the most successful trade business in Fe’Thwyn.” The pride was evident in his voice.

“That’s wonderful, Lor…Garon. It pleases me to hear of your hard work paying off. Your father must be so pleased.”

“He would be, were he still alive.”

Salinye stopped to face Garon Attaway. “Garon, I am so very sorry. I always liked your father so much. When did he pass away?”

The Duke could see the sincerity in her eyes and smiled softly. “Two years ago. He would have loved to see us married.”

Salinye lowered her eyes to the side at his small attempted guilt. “Ahh, let's not speak of unpleasantries. I've long since forgiven the sins of your youth. We all make mistakes." Salinye left her eyes aside afraid that if she looked back into his face he would see the strong defiance rising within her. He simply took her shy appearance as guilt threaded regret. "Salinye, I can’t stay long, business calls. However, there is a large dinner tomorrow night. I was hoping you would attend as my honored guest.

“Of course.” She nodded in reply.

“Wonderful, I’ll see you then. We have much to catch up on.” Bowing to her placing another kiss upon the back of her hand he turned and left the garden leaving Salinye to slowly make her way back to the bench she was originally sitting at to pour over her fathers journal and her own thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Gyrfalcon strode through the corridors behind the guard, enjoying the opportunity to stretch his legs out after having spent several long, hard days in the saddle, pushing his and his mount's endurance to the limits to reach Fe'Thwyn as quickly as possible.

As they passed down a hallway, a handsome elven man turned the corner, his mouth set in a smug smile. That expression disappeared in an eye blink as he and Gyrfalcon set eyes on each other. The elf's eyes narrowed as he took in the shorter ears of the half-elf, and his face froze in a polite smile.

Gyrfalcon took in the too-fine clothes the handsome man wore, the hair just a touch too styled. Dandy. he thought to himself, his eyes narrowing slightly as the man walked towards him. "Greetings." Gyrfalcon said politely, hoping to avoid having to talk to the dandy.

"I am Duke Garon Attaway. Who might you be, and may I ask why are you here?" the elf said, his voice polite but edged, a faint emphasis on the word 'Duke', perhaps to drive the fact home with the rustic-looking half-elf.

"I am Lord Gyrfalcon No'Dessu, Duke Attaway, and I happen to be meeting a friend." Gyrfalcon said, his voice coolly polite.

Attaway stepped closer to accentuate his slight advantage of height. "Ah, well... do enjoy the splendor of the Celestialgrace gardens. They have been cultivated for far longer then you have been alive, and show all the splendor of those years."

Gyrfalcon smiled faintly. "That long, eh? I am sure I will indeed enjoy that splendor. Unfortunately, I must meet with my friend, but I am sure we will have a chance to talk later." the half-elf said, his voice slightly amused.

Attaway smiled politely, slightly curious as to the source of the half-elf's amusement. However, he had other things to attend to then chat with a half-breed.

"I am sure we will." Attaway said, attempting to brush by the half-elf, only to be slightly staggered as his shoulder glanced off Gyrfalcon's. The ranger didn't even twist slightly, but instead nodded to the guard and continued onward.

Gyrfalcon stepped through the doorway from the mansion and paused, momentarily stunned by the sheer splendor of the gardens. Despite his dislike for Duke Attaway, he did have to admit the man was right this once, the gardens did show all the splendor of their age.

Behind him, the guard cleared his throat. "M'lord? This way." Gyrfalcon glanced back, then nods and steps aside to let the guard take the lead, taking him along a long path of crushed white gravel, the half-elf basking in and enjoying the subtle beauty of the garden.

As they reached a long row of rose bushes, Gyrfalcon saw Salinye, and was momentarily taken aback by how different she looked, dressed in a simple but elegant gown, her hair done up in ornate curls, half-pinned up with that one stubborn lock hanging down beside her face. He smiled involuntarily but restrained the urge to call out as they stopped in front of the elven wizardess, who was engrossed in a book of some sort.

The guard cleared his throat. "M'lady Salinye? You have a... visitor."

Gyrfalcon took that as his cue and smiled slightly as he bowed. "Greetings, M'lady." he said softly.

Salinye looked up with a smile spreading across her face. She rose and intercepted him in mid-bow with a hug. "Don't you go bowing to me." she said warmly before looking at the guard. "Thank you, He'll be fine here with me."

The guard's eyes flickered between Salinye and Gyrfalcon, and a faint frown marred his face. "My apologies, m'lady, but your mother directed that the half-elf be escorted."

Salinye let go of Gyrfalcon and stepped towards the guard, placing a kind hand on his arm. "I know, thank you very much. You can return to your duties." Despite the kindness of her voice, there was also a hint of steel that said that her command would be carried out. The guard heard that steel and nodded reluctantly and bowing before slipping away down the pathway.

Gyrfalcon chuckled slightly as Salinye turned back to him, and smiled. "You're looking wonderful, Salinye."

Salinye fought back a flush with moderate success and instead smiled. "I'm glad you came."

He returned the smile. "The weather was good for a trip." he said, still looking around.

Salinye smiled "You'll never see the beauty in my garden after we walk through this one! Would you care to walk with me?" she added belatedly.

Gyrfalcon smiled and bowed slightly. "Of course, and this garden is impressive. But your garden is also beautiful, and you have not had nearly the same amount of time to tend it." he said, offering her his arm. The two started down the path, enjoying the garden's beauty.

Salinye took his arm laughing "Why so formal, Ranger?" she said, giving his arm a slight squeeze.

Gyrfalcon looked wryly amused. "Your attired seems to require it. That, and the guard lurking over there behind the tree."

Salinye looked over her shoulder and narrowed her eyes at the guard as he ducked back belatedly. "Yes... well, I'm still me, just a bit more decorated."

Gyrfalcon smiled "The decorations only serve to highlight your beauty." he said.

Salinye blushed and shook her head shyly. "Don't start with that, I didn't call you here to be flattered, GyrE."

Gyrfalcon nodded more soberly. "Though it was not flattery, I will stop. What was it you called me for, Salinye?"

Salinye squeezed his arm again, stopping at a small gazebo almost lost within the hedges. Within, chairs were arranged around a small table. "Come, let's sit. I want to share some things for you."

Gyrfalcon nodded and pulled out a chair for Salinye to seat herself before sitting himself. Salinye smiled at him softly before the smile faded, her expression becoming serious. "Well, I have learned why my mother had summoned me home." she said quietly.

• 2 weeks later...

Gyrfalcon nodded. "And what was that mysterious reason?"

Salinye took a deep breath, picking her words carefully. "There are actually two reasons. The first is that my mother has offered to reinstate me back into my society. All charges would be dropped; I'd have my royal rights back, my place in society, the entire works." The wizardess paused, hesitating.

Gyrfalcon's eyes narrow. "There's always a price attached though, what's this package's price?" he asked bluntly.

Salinye smiled. "Always the skeptic." she chided gently.

The half-elf raised an eyebrow. "Don't tell me there wasn't a price attached."

Salinye laughed softly, but sobered quickly. "There was." she said, looking off into the distance as she tried to word her next sentences, her hands wringing cloth of her dress. Gyrfalcon waited patiently, allowing Salinye the time she needed to sort her thoughts.

"Do you remember that I told you I ran away with Dainin, a dark elf?" her voice lost its strength when she spoke his name, and pain filled her eyes.

"Yes, I do remember." Gyrfalcon said quietly.

"Well... that was unacceptable for the obvious reasons, but there other... reasons." she continued, wringing the material of her dress continually. "As is common in many cultures, I was betrothed from a young age, promised if you will to a man named Garon Attaway."

Gyrfalcon nodded. "A common practice among nobility everywhere." his voice threaded with distaste for the practice.

"Well yes, so walking out on him was twice as insulting. But I didn't love him, I didn't choose him!" her voice rose, her eyes intense.

"Because you ran away from the betrothal at all... and ran away with a drow elf." Gyrfalcon stated.

"Yes. You see, the marriage would have done amazing things politically..."

"But at the expense of your happiness."

"At the time, yes. Love was worth running away for." she said, her voice sad. "So... of course, that is the ultimatum, the price."

"Marry him and you're reinstated, don't marry him and you're an exile forever, I take it?" Gyrfalcon said slowly.

Salinye nodded slowly. "I believe so."

Gyrfalcon looked into her eyes and asked the first question that popped into his head. "How important is regaining your status to you? Is it worth your happiness?"

She closed her eyes. "The entire affair is confusing for me, to be honest."

Gyrfalcon nodded. "You wish to return to your home, but you don't want to give up your new home, or all the friends you made?"

Salinye struggled with her words. "See... I'm not sure how to explain it all to you." she admitted, her face flushing slightly. "It's a hard subject for me."

Gyrfalcon smiled warmly and gently squeezed the back of her hand. "That's understandable, Salinye."

"Months ago, I probably would have agreed without much hesitation." Salinye said, picking her words. "It's been part of my life-long dream to finish my father's work here. It's a difficult decision to make, and I don't like that I'm being pressed to make it within a time limit."

Gyrfalcon smiled. "Ask for more time."

"Can I? I wouldn't be so sure."

His smile broadened. "Insist."

Salinye considered his words. "I'll try. But as I was saying, months ago I would have probably agreed. I have long since given up... certain ideals..." her voice faltered.

Gyrfalcon knew something of her past, and squeezed her hand gently. "Like love?"

Salinye flushed immediately. "Well... yes..." she said, her face flaming.

Gyrfalcon lowered his eyes. "It's a loss to the world if you believe you can't find love, Salinye."

Salinye brushed away her misbehaving lock of hair and tried to will the heat in her face to go away. "I... I'm not sure what I believe, I just... I don't want to label anything..."

"Without truly knowing what is involved in that label?" Gyrfalcon prompted.

"I... just know that at this point in my life, it would be nice to have the time to... explore... the things I wish to explore... and... be able to make an... educated decision." Salinye said, choosing each word carefully.

"Yet by being forced into marriage, you won't be allowed that exploration." Gyrfalcon argued.

"Yes... exactly." Salinye said.

Gyrfalcon pressed on. "Or you could live at the Hostel and have all the time in the world to explore and learn." he said, a faint note of hope touching the edges of his voice.

Salinye lowered her voice, her face serious. "Yes, and lose the opportunity to help reverse decades of prejudiced thinking." her voice became passionate. "There are beautiful children here being raised to continue teaching the black and white thinking of many of my people. If I stayed, I know I could help fight that tradition!"

"And there is no one you can trust to take up the fight in your stead?" Gyrfalcon asked.

"There is, but... being in the political position I would be in through marriage to Lord Attaway... I would have certain sway."

"But what cost to yourself?" Gyrfalcon said, pressing a little bit.

Salinye look a little frustrated. "Maybe everything or maybe nothing."

"But can you afford to risk everything on this?"

Salinye studied his face carefully. "But is it everything? There is no way to tell right now. It might be nothing." she said, squeezing his hand gently.

The half-elf sighed and smiled lopsidedly. "I've never been fond of fifty fifty gambles, Salinye."

"Nor I. I'm not in a fun position. See, I don't know about you, but I embraced love once... and the sting of love lost. It may not be worth having the love in the first place. I haven't quite decided." she said, her pain obvious.

Gyrfalcon studied her face intently. "It is, Salinye, though you might not see it as clearly this close to the loss. But it's better to have happiness, however brief, then eternal regret for lost chances."

"There can be regrets either way, it's a gamble." Salinye said, standing to pace the gazebo as she speaks. "GyrE... we've grown so close, this is true. But where will it go? It's not even a fair question, how could one know? I know I would like time to find out... but what if I'm not granted that?" she said, looking away, her voice distant as she loses herself in her thoughts, even as she speaks them. "If I deny the marriage to Attaway, I may be giving up a last chance hope for a small band of us that are trying to make a difference. A difference that even you have seen the need for in your life. I would be giving it up for, as you put it, a fifty fifty gamble. Maybe it would be a worthwhile sacrifice, maybe it would be an eternal regret." She paused, and Gyrfalcon continued to watch her. "Maybe I'm broken and can't be fixed... I don't know..." she said, becoming frustrated by her tumbling thoughts.

"Gyrfalcon barked a laugh." That's not true, Salinye. Any hurt can be fixed. All it takes is time and care..."

"It's true in theory." Salinye said.

"And in practice." Gyrfalcon added. "But it's not an instant fix... it takes time.

"I used to romanticize the subject too, GyrE." Salinye said, her voice dismissive as she turned to face him.

"And you think that is what I am doing?" Gyrfalcon said.

"I don't know. I'm mixed up in this area of life. I'm sorry, please don't be offended by me." she said, flushing slightly.

Gyrfalcon smiled softly. "Take your time, Salinye. Look at it from all angles - including what you would like. Then make your decision."

Salinye sat down and looked into his eyes. "Tell me what decision to make." she said, her voice almost imploring.

Gyrfalcon hesitated, then shook his head. "It isn't mine to make, Salinye." he said, looking deep into her eyes. "I... I would like you to return to the Pen with me... and Daryl. But if you truly believe that you can do more good here, and that you can make the sacrifice of not being able to learn and explore what you wish about love..."

Salinye's eyes misted slightly as she sits stunned. She cleared her throat. "I... I just need some time." she said, a little unsteadily.

Gyrfalcon nodded. "Of course." he said, standing and bringing her hand to his lips, lightly brushing a kiss across the backs of her knuckles. "If you would excuse me, I should go and wash away the road dust."

The practical words jar Salinye's thoughts down another path. "I've arranged for you to stay, will you?" she said, her eyes following him as he stands.

Gyrfalcon smiled. "Of course." he said, suddenly grinning. "I should go make the fuzz face give back what he's taken so far, though."

Salinye smiled. "Yes, but so you should know, I've arranged for you to stay elsewhere. I wanted to make sure you were treated right, and you wouldn't be here." her eyes twinkled slightly. "You'll be staying with my mystery man."

Gyrfalcon raised an eyebrow. "Oh? This should be... interesting." he said, his voice cool.

Salinye started laughing. "Leave your katana tucked away, GyrE. You and he may butt heats, but you'll learn to adore him as I do. But... Daryl stays with me, yes?"

Gyrfalcon showed her that he is empty-handed. "True, inflicting Daryl and a half-elf on him all at once may strain your friendship together.

Salinye smiled. "Not possible." she said before summoning a servant to lead the half-elf to where her mystery man was waiting.

“…an absolute outrage!” Came the harsh whisper of Sylvia Celestialgrace as Gyrfalcon was escorted from the gardens through the estate and into the main entrance hall. The elven woman spun on her heels to face them with a curt smile as she heard them enter. Behind her stood a rather impressive elven man. He easily stood 6 foot 3 inches tall. He had graceful well-chiseled elven features. His hair was sandy brown tied neatly back into a ponytail that ran a quarter of the way down his back. He was attired in the finest of clothing. One might mistake him only for one of the influential noblemen of Fe’Thwyn if not for the amulet of Kaelin’Dar that hung from his neck.

Seeing a holy symbol around a man’s neck might inspire assumptions that the man is a priest. However, judging by the broad shoulders and muscular physique Gyrfalcon would guess a paladin. Rarely did rich elven priests have need to keep themselves so physically fit.

“Ahhh, M’lord…No’Dessu, wasn’t it?” Sylvia asked with that same cold condescending yet oh-so-polite demeanor she had used while speaking with him earlier.

“Indeed, My lady. Your memory serves you well.” The ranger replied barely resisting the temptation to match her tone.

“I’d like to introduce you to Lord Lothanius. You’ll be his guest during your brief stay in Fe’Thwyn.”

The man she introduced as Lord Lothanius stepped forward bowing formally, almost ceremoniously. Yep, definitely a paladin. Gyrfalcon thought returning his bow in greeting.

The two men’s green eyes locked in mutual curiosity. “A pleasure to meet you, Lord Lothanius.” Gyrfalcon said politely.

“I assure you, the pleasure is mine.” The paladin returned, the tension filling the room so thickly it would seem one could slice it with a knife. “If you care to gather your steed, I’ll meet you out front shortly.”

“Of course.” The ranger said with a bow of his head then turned to the Duchess. “Thank you for allowing my horse to be tended to. I appreciate it immensely.” Walking past them towards the large double doors that served as the main entrance to the manor a servant scrambled to open the door for him.

Once he had left the manor and was out of hearing range Sylvia’s gaze turned into an ice-cold glare. “I’m telling you, Gabriel. I don’t like the feel of this.” She said in a lowered tone.

Gabriel placed a kind hand upon her shoulder. “Give me a couple of hours with the lad then meet with me. I have some thoughts brewing within me that I think might help make this situation a little more favorable for everyone.”

Sylvia’s eyes remained cold, yet her tone warmed slightly. “Very well. I’ll meet you at your home in two hours, but I want our meeting to be alone.” Gabriel nodded his agreement before bowing respectfully and taking his leave.

Gyrfalcon stood outside the manor patting the neck of his steed gently. He was sincerely grateful for the obvious good attention the stable master had given the horse. He made a mental note to be sure to thank him later.

“Ahh, M’lord No’Dessu. A fine animal, I must say! Now, if you would follow me please.” Gabriel said striding past the ranger walking purposefully down the cobblestone streets. Their journey through the city to the paladin’s home was one made in silence giving Gyrfalcon a chance to take in the scenery. Being in a residential area they passed one estate after another. Most of the entrances began with a lofty intricately decorated gate. Some had pillars and statues representing their family name or crest. Some even had guards on duty. It was obvious these were among the wealthiest families in Fe’Thwyn. Most if not all were probably royalty of one form or another.

Although the ranger admired the beauty and elegance of the elven craftsmanship and architecture, he really wasn’t one to be impressed by lofty standings. What did surprise him, however, was Gabriel’s disinterest in him. He rather expected someone that Salinye was close to would be more “real” and less formal. After winding through several streets they arrived at the paladin’s manor. It was less impressive than the other’s they had passed, which made Gyrfalcon like it more.

Gabriel was quick to call the stable master and have arrangements made for the care of his horse. The inside of the paladin’s house was elegant and regal, yet simple. Following Gabriel into a sitting room the paladin fell into a chair in a relaxed manner that was the complete opposite of the rigid formal attitude he had presented thus far. Smiling sincerely he motioned to a chair across from him. “Please, have a seat. Now that we’re out of the public eye we can talk as men.”

Gyrfalcon sat down a bit relieved not to have to continue the charade of forced formality. “Thank you, Lord Lothanius.”

The paladin laughed good-naturedly small laughter lines forming around his emerald eyes. “First off, when we’re alone, feel free to call me Gabriel. Salinye has told me much about you. I’m sure you understand the need for our discretion.”

Gyrfalcon smiled nodding and noticed a framed sketch upon the fireplace mantle of Gabriel and Salinye. The drawing was from about the waist up. Salinye had her head tilted to the side in laughter while Gabriel looked upon her in adoration. “Yes, you two are close it would seem.”

Gabriel followed his gaze to the sketch and smiled fondly. “Yes, I love her.”

“Really?” Gyrfalcon raised an eyebrow his voice neutral yet colored faintly with displeasure.

“Of course.” Gabriel studied the ranger humored. “She is my god-daughter. Did you worry otherwise?”

Gyrfalcon smiled. “Not really. You are her godfather? You must have known her father well.”

“Yes, I did.” The paladin’s tone took on a respectful air as he spoke of her father. “, He was a general and a good honest man. I was his right hand, he counseled with me often. We respected each other greatly. When duty called him away, I would often watch over Salinye and his household. He was a man who loved his family.”

“Salinye speaks fondly of him.” Gyrfalcon said with a smile.

“As she should. They were very close. She took his death very hard. Speaking of close, Sal also speaks rather highly of you, Gyrfalcon.”

The ranger couldn’t help but smile secretly pleased. “Yes, she’s a good friend. We’ve grown close since her arrival at Pen Castle.”

“Yes, you must be “close” indeed for her to summon you at this particular time in her life.”

Gyrfalcon shrugged slightly. “We’ve saved each other’s lives, Gabriel. It’s natural for us to be close friends.”

A sly smile grew across Gabriel’s features and he looked as if he were about to say something more when a servant entered the room. “M’lord, your attention is required in your study.”

Gabriel sighed. “Ahh yes, I have a few back to back meetings this afternoon. I’m sorry to abandon you. Please make my home your own. Explore my estate as you wish. My staff can show you to the quarters that will be yours while you’re here. You can feel free to clean up and rest. I’m sure you’re tired after your long journey.”

“Please, don’t apologize. I understand when duty calls. I appreciate the hospitalities.” Gyrfalcon replied a distant tiredness sneaking into his eyes. He really could use some rest. Gabriel nodded politely before leaving the room. Shortly there after a polite servant met the ranger named Melvius who showed him to his quarters.

Gyrfalcon walked through the halls of Gabriel’s estate taking in the view. After bathing he had tried to sleep, but failed miserably. He couldn’t get his mind to slow enough to allow him the rest his body craved. He thought perhaps a walk and perhaps a snack might give him time to organize his thoughts. Although he wasn’t one to commonly dress very formally, he chose the clothing Salinye had made for him. The elegant black pants and white shirt with gold embroidery around the collar and cuffs was the nicest outfit he owned. He thought it would help him blend in these foreign surroundings a little better.

Pacing the halls his ranger mind subconsciously noting the layout he casually stopped to admire a painting, or a set of armor, or some other adornment that was placed for display. It was as he heard a familiar icy voice from a cracked door ahead that he stopped his gait and listened.

“I’m not sure I like this idea at all, Gabriel.” Sylvia spat. Gyrfalcon could almost envision the venom in her eyes.

“Just hear me out, Sylvia. Then, if you object to my logic, we’ll stick to the plan.” The paladin said calmly. “You know if you push Salinye into a decision right now there is at least a 50/50 chance she’ll split. She never has reacted well to that kind of pressure. I say invite her to stay for a month’s time. Tell her it is so she can get a feel for our life and culture again. Let her think it’s for her benefit. A chance to get reacquainted with Lord Attaway again.”

“I’m failing to see how this will rectify the situation. Chances are as long as she’s here, so will that “friend” of hers. I don’t want him hanging around coercing her into an ill decision.”

“Having him around for that length of time will be all for the better, Sylvia. Just think how he’ll pale in comparison to Lord Attaway over time. Salinye will always be Garon’s honored guest, the ranger will merely be observing from the sidelines. It won’t take Salinye long to once again fall in love with her past royal lifestyle, nor will it take the boy long to see it’s something he could never give her.” Gabriel paused giving Salinye’s mother time for the wisdom of his words to sink in.

“You can try to force her into a union now and have a 50/50 chance of success at best, or you can give it a month of careful preparation so that she’ll come to the same desirable conclusion on her own accord. Furthermore, as you said, Salinye has lived a different lifestyle for many years now. Imagine how much more refined she could be in 30 days time with the proper preparations.”

“I can see the wisdom in your words.” Sylvia finally spoke after a long contemplative pause. “However, if that ranger is to stay, then he is to be in YOUR charge. I don’t want him messing things up for us!”

“Absolutely. Don’t worry about him. I’ll take care of that end.”

“Very well.” A shuffling of movement could be heard causing Gyrfalcon to turn silently fleeing the corridor in stone sober silence. Does the betrayal stop nowhere?! He thought to himself fiercely. He couldn’t believe the words he had heard. He had to get to Salinye. Talk to her and get her to leave here at once. Everywhere she turned plots were planned against her. Clenching and unclenching his fists he walked numbly through the halls until he arrived at a sparring room he remembered passing.

A guard looked up from where he was stretching along a wall when Gyrfalcon crossed the threshold of the sparring room door. “Good day.” He smiled pleasantly. Unlike most of the greetings the ranger had received since his arrival in Fe’Thwyn, this one seemed sincerely pleasant. “I was just about to warm up, but I’m guessing my partner got caught up in work. Care for a round or two?”

Gyrfalcon smiled despite the steel within his eyes. “Certainly.”

Gabriel entered his sparring room to find a sweat drenched Gyrfalcon in mock battle with a very worn out guard. Laughing he clapped his hands. "I see you're giving my men a training session."

Gyrfalcon stepped back nodding to the grateful guard, who promptly slumped to the ground. "They're well trained." he says, his voice level.

“I hope you’re enjoying yourself.” Gabriel continued leaning on the doorframe casually. “I must admit, I’m a bit surprised to find you here. I thought for sure you’d be sleeping off some of the exhaustion from your trip.”

Gyrfalcon shrugged. "I found that I wasn't very tired." Cutting his sparring sword through the air a few times he kept his tone neutral.

“I sometimes have a hard time finding sleep in a new environment too.” The paladin said looking over to the exhausted guard. “Would you care for dinner, or do you desire a new sparring partner?" He offered smiling good-naturedly.

Gyrfalcon smiled faintly, his eyes chill. "I wouldn't mind another round."

“Very well.” Gabriel returned the smile noticing the tension in the air. Taking off his dress tunic he grabbed a sparring sword from the wall. After testing its balance by slicing it through the air a few times he then turned to Gyrfalcon and bowed respectfully before him. Gyrfalcon returned the bow with one exactly as deep before straightening and falling into a guarded stance.

"Have you found my estate to your liking?" The paladin asked falling into his own defensive stance.

Gyrfalcon began slowly circling his eyes locked with his opponent. "It's impressive, Gabriel. Much more understated then your neighbors, I suspect."

"I am but a simple paladin." He replied stepping forward with a series of mild friendly attacks.

"Just a simple paladin?" Gyrfalcon asked easily blocking the attacks and countering, his blade parried wide. Retracting his blade, he thrust straight ahead.

"Of course. But you already knew that." Gabriel replied forced to spin to avoid the forward thrust righting himself before the ranger once again. He was surprised at such a forceful attack in the beginning of a sparring round.

"You have interesting visitors for a simple paladin." Gyrfalcon said, coming ahead with overhand chops that Gabriel easily deflected while being forced to take a step back.

Gabriel lunged forward with a more forceful attack to match Gyrfalcon's intensity.

"I assume you mean Salinye's mother? Did you not think she would counsel with me about her daughter's well being?"

"Of course, and I couldn't help but overhear the conversation, especially since it concerned Salinye." Gyrfalcon parried as he spun away from the attack, coming out with his practice blade leveled at Gabriel threateningly.

The paladin smacked the blade aside in mild irritation shifting to the left for a kidney hit. "Do you commonly eavesdrop on your hosts?"

Gyrfalcon blocked solidly and their blades slid together into a clinch, leaving their faces inches from each other. "I do when my host is plotting against my friend. So, been planning to marry your Goddaughter off to a walking piece of slime for a long time?"

Gabriel shoved Gyrfalcon back with great surge of strength and a slight snarl. "I've been planning nothing, you fool boy. If you had any sense at all you'd see I did you a favor!”

The ranger spun his blade through a defensive arc and began circling Gabriel. His eyes remained ice cold. "Oh?”

Their green eyes were locked in more seriousness than a simple sparring match should contain. "I bought her a month to get in touch with her true feelings, to make a good decision rather than a rash one."

Making a few idle attacks the ranger continued his heated inquiry. "Yet by your words, you must support Attaway, at least in public."

Easily defending the blows Gabriel responded more interested in the ranger’s words than his sword. "What do you know of Attaway, Gyrfalcon? Perhaps he would make a good husband for Salinye."

Gyrfalcon couldn’t resist a smirk "If he was, Salinye would have never run away from this city."

Narrowing his eyes, Gabriel feigned an attack to the right but truly lunged for the left. "Salinye followed her heart, the result almost killed her. Do you think Drow dungeons were more pleasant that Lord Attaway's side?"

Gyrfalcon spun into the path of the true blow, his blade picking it off cleanly then let his sword arm fall to his side feeling the blow of what he just heard more than the blocked attack. "So that is where she ended up. Salinye has never really talked about the period before she came to reside near the Pen." His voice was a little deflated of the anger it held only moments before.

“Yet you're here to claim you know what's best for her, eh? Attack and accuse the best ally she has in Fe'Thwyn, the person who loves her most. I'm disappointed. I thought you'd be less foolish.” He too let his weapon fall to his side tired of their pointless battle.

"I don't claim to know what's best for her, I wish her to be allowed to choose her own path. And according to your words, paladin, you wish the same, though I never thought a paladin could succeed in politics."

Gabriel turned his back on the ranger trying to keep his temper under control while hanging his weapon back upon the wall. "Maybe I can't, but like Salinye, I'll die trying to right the wrongs. But that's beside the point. Let's drop the charades. I know I have Sal's best interests at heart, but what are your motives?”

Gyrfalcon narrowed his eyes gripping his sword. "I won't claim such selfishness, I do wish that Salinye and I could explore the bond that has formed between us. But whether we do or not, I wish to let her have the time to make her own choice, one that she has had the time to consider and accept."

“Well then, lucky you, ranger.” His voice was tinged with bitterness and sarcasm. “I guess I bought you that time. Don't make me regret it. It wouldn't end well.” Gabriel never was one to veil his threats.

Gyrfalcon stared at his host evenly. "A word of advice to you as well... friend... threats don't go over well with me."

Frankly, Gyrfalcon, I don't much care what goes over well with you. YOU are not my primary concern. Besides, if you're truly just her friend, then you're only hindering her.”

Baring his teeth in what could pass for a smile he worked to keep his cool. "Consider this, Gabriel. Whether or not Salinye is willing to choose me, I am willing to let her go, no matter how painful it would be to me. Ask yourself if Attaway would do the same."

“Ohhhhh!” Gabriel raised his hands out to his sides in mock surprise. “So suddenly you're not just friends then?”

Gyrfalcon narrowed his eyes coolly. "Since you demand such honesty... not quite, no."

"If I'm to be your ally, Gyrfalcon. You better learn to speak with honesty, and quick. Because, whether you like it or not, you NEED me as your ally here.”

Gyrfalcon clenched his jaw turning to hang his sword upon the wall as well. "Then you might want to work on being a bit more forthcoming as well. As they say, trust has to be earned, and that applies to both of us."

Gabriel ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “I said what needed to be said to Sylvia to buy Salinye some time. I don't necessarily like Attaway, but he does adore Salinye. I don't KNOW you, but I'm willing to give you a chance because it's what Sal wants, but I'll tell you one thing I do know.…There was one other like you. Not only disliked, but shunned from here. Sal chose him, I helped her leave because he made her happy, and *HE* swore his undying love to her. I will not be so easily swayed again. I love Sal, but I don't trust her emotions right now, and neither does she.”

Gyrfalcon fought the rising anger at the comparison as he considered who that other person had to be. "Then just watch and see, Paladin, and let my actions speak for themselves."

“Fair enough. It will be interesting to see how much you and Salinye can bear with. They're not going to make it easy for either of you.” Here Gabriel’s tone took on a slightly softer edge as if he didn’t like the simple truth of the statement.

Gyrfalcon grinned faintly. "That's the story of my life."

“ ....and hers...” Gabriel added. “Now, are you ready to eat, or you'd rather attempt to kill me with a dull sword again?”

Gyrfalcon smirked "Let's wash up, then eat." he said, starting towards the bathroom. "Besides, I wouldn't have killed you... embarrassed you, but not killed you."

The paladin laughed as his skills were underestimated by the ranger. "You wouldn't have embarrassed me either, ancient one."

Gyrfalcon paused turning around in front of the door. "Hmm... I see you hit the history books, at least. I'm doing well to keep up with a young'in like you, then."

“History tends to paint bleak pictures.”

"It all depends on who wrote the history, doesn't it?"

“True, but as long as we’re embarking upon a path of honesty, there are things I don't trust about you. One,” he points to his neck. "You wear the collar of a succubus."

Gyrfalcon raised an eyebrow folding his arms across his chest. "…And the others?"

“That alone is enough for me to know you'll hurt her. But I also wonder how much of your past you have told her. Also how strong your feelings actually are, and how much is "forbidden fruit" syndrome. The list goes on, but I’ll stop there. I am her god-father, I view you as I should...from under a magnifying lens.

"Think what you wish, Gabriel, the only person I have to prove myself to... is Salinye herself." the half-elf said quietly, leaving the room.

“Well, there’s one place you’re wrong.” Gabriel mumbled to himself.

• 1 month later...

Gyrfalcon seethed silently as he stalked down Gabriel’s halls his feet mindlessly leading him in the direction of his quarters. His jaw was tight and his hands clenched and unclenched as he rehashed the conversation he had just had with the paladin. If his mind had not been so inwardly distracted he would have heard the soft rush of quick steps ahead of him. Rounding a corner into an adjoined corridor he was taken quite by surprise, something that doesn’t happen often, as Salinye barreled into him. In her excitement she didn’t even step back embarrassed, which would have been her usual reaction. Instead she threw her arms around him in a huge hug exclaiming. “You were right! You were SO right!”

The ranger struggled for words as he tried the hardcore shift from seething anger to pleasant surprise. He unclenched his hands, relaxed his jaw and forced a slight smile. Suddenly aware of the sweat dripping from his hair and down his face he took a step back a bit self-conscious.

Salinye laughed as she let go of him. Damp spots shimmered across the front of her scarlet silk gown. “Have you been sparring? Giving Gabriel a run for his money, I’m betting.” She winked at him.

“Salinye.” He finally managed to mutter. “Yes…I was sparring….Your fine dress, I’m so sorry.” His embarrassment was apparent.

“Sorry?” Salinye looked down at the front of her gown noticing the marks for the first time. “Oh, don’t be. I couldn’t care at all! Besides, it was me who was running through these hallways with the discretion of a child! I was just so excited I couldn’t wait to find you and tell you the news!”

“News?” Gyrfalcon ran a hand through his hair, his mind still quite distracted.

Smiling pleased the wizardess nearly burst as her words poured out from her. “I did just as you suggested. After you left I thought quite a bit on some of the things we talked about. When I returned from the garden, mother was away on errands. However, the moment she returned I confronted her and demanded more time to make my decisions. Just as you said I should do! Gyre, she didn’t even argue with me!”

Salinye was clearly amazed that the conversation had gone so smoothly. “I expected quite a fight or even to be banished again. “However, she only said that she could see the logic in time and granted me one month to assess the situation and make a choice. Can you believe it?”

While Gyrfalcon found it difficult to rejoice with her, knowing what he did, he also didn’t want to squash her excitement. His instinct told him to yell from the rooftops that she was being played like a fiddle and that she was crazy to stay in this boiling pot of politics for one more minute. However, instead he simply smiled.

“That’s great, Salinye.”

“It IS great! I’m so glad I listened to you, I’m so glad you came. I knew it would be so much better if you were here.” She stepped forward as if in her appreciation she would embrace him again. Gyrfalcon used his sweatiness as an opportunity to step back from her.

“I really should go wash up, Sal.” He said pleasantly, yet his distantness was not lost on the mage. Her eyes immediately reflected her worry. He hated to see it, but he also couldn’t help it. He didn’t want to spend one more second standing here with her pretending like everything was great and right on track for her.

Salinye wanted to question him on the spot. However, his evasiveness was just enough to make her rethink her actions and retreat under a sudden veil of shyness. Gyrfalcon too, momentarily considered giving an explanation however, the ranger was sure that anything he tried to explain at this moment would only make things worse. “I’ll be down shortly, if you care to wait.” He finally offered with a sincere smile before turning his back to her again on his way to his quarters.

“Alright.” Salinye replied with a soft smile of her own. “Gabby still in the sparring room?”

“Might be.” He replied disappearing around a corner. Crinkling her brow Salinye turned in the opposite direction to find Gabriel, her gait much less joyous than before.

• 3 months later...

Gyrfalcon sighed as he closed the door to his room and walked toward the bathroom, stripping his shirt off as he did so and using it to towel off his arms and torso. He knew he’d have to apologize to Salinye later, or at least make up for his distance in the hallway, but it was hard to know that her own mother was manipulating her and yet be unable to tell her that.

He sighed as he washed his face, enjoying the cool water on his skin. He could tell her, and she would likely believe him... but what good would it do either of them? He supposed that she would benefit from knowing her mother’s plans, but...

With another sigh, Gyrfalcon put off his decision. Let Salinye have a few days to get reacquainted with her home and Lord Attaway. Perhaps she might truly like him, in which case it would all be a moot point anyway. If not... then Gyrfalcon might tell Salinye about her mother’s plans.

Pulling on a fresh tunic, Gyrfalcon quickly brushed his hair into some semblance of order and paused to consider Salinye’s mother’s co-conspirator, and the one who gained Salinye a month to choose where her heart lay... Gabriel.

He was a high elf, a noble, and a paladin to boot. Three things that normally set the half-elven ranger’s teeth on edge. “What’s not to like?” Gyrfalcon muttered to himself in amusement. Yet there was something about him... a nobility that few nobles possessed, a conviction of faith without the blindness of self-righteousness. Gyrfalcon knew that Gabriel would be one to watch, no matter how events turned. In other circumstances then these, the ranger thought that they might even become friends, though that appeared to be a remote chance now.

Maybe an apology would be in order. The gods know, he needed more then one friend in this city if he had any chance of competing against Garon Attaway.

Nodding to himself, Gyrfalcon closed the door to his quarters and started towards where the dining room was located.

• 3 weeks later...

For the second time in a matter of five minutes, Salinye nearly ran over someone. This time the unsuspecting victim was Gabriel. However, instead of embracing her godfather as he left the sparring room, she blocked his way, standing before him with her arms folded across her chest. The paladin wiped his brow with a towel, meeting her stern look with one of humor. “Something wrong, love?”

“Don’t play innocent with me, Gabriel Lothanius! What did you say to GyrE?”

“I didn’t say anything a godfather should not.” He stepped past her attempting to make his way to his personal quarters to clean up. In response she turned jumping on his back, giving no heed to the lovely silk gown she wore. Gabriel grunted a bit, though easily caught her weight.

“Don’t you think you’re a little old to play piggy back?” A smile played on his face, she couldn’t see it, but she could hear it in his voice.

“Aren’t you a little old to have pissing contests?” She retorted with a smirk.

He laughed full bellied at her unveiled attempt at calling him on the carpet. Lowering her back to the floor he turned placing his hands upon her waist, smiling down at her fondly. “Are elven princesses supposed to use such words?”

Resting her hands upon his arms she smiled back up to him. “Since when have you known me to do what I’m supposed to?”

“Since when have you not trusted me?” He responded quickly with a raised eyebrow.

Salinye slapped his arm. “I trust you with my life. That isn’t what this is about.”

“Then tell me, princess. What IS this about?” It had been along time since he had used that old childhood endearment. This time it was he who folded his arms and blocked her way.

“You are supposed to make Gyre feel comfortable here. Heavens knows no one else in this city will.”

“I’m supposed to make sure you’re both well looked after and taken care of. I know my duties, Salinye. I won’t disappoint you, but you’ll have to let an old man do things his own way.” He placed a hand upon her shoulder to reassure her of his intentions.

“Gyrfalcon is…important to me.” She said the worry still faintly readable in her face.

“Therefore, Gyrfalcon is important to me. Now if you will give me 10 minutes I’ll meet you in the dining room for dinner.” Salinye smiled and hugged him, his large arms all but swallowing up her lithe form in his embrace.

30 minutes later

Gyrfalcon could hear the laughter even before he reached the partly open dining room door. Having shared more than a handful of laughs with the wizardess himself, he would recognize the sound of her happiness anywhere. Peeking in he saw Salinye in near tears as Gabriel retold some story from their past. The sight brought two things to his mind- the fact that her laughter was real, and that fact that she was truly happy here.

Garon Attaway tapped his fingers on the windowsill, looking out over the well-landscaped courtyard of his estate. He had long ago learned to keep his emotions masked, one of the things that attributed to his success in business. Sylvia Celestialgrace sat in a high back brown leather chair, across from his desk staring at his back. His office was rather regally decorated. High dark wooden bookcases lined the walls, full of books on all sorts of intellectual subjects. She didn’t know if he had read them all, but she knew they were good choices to have in his office. Aided in the first impressions he needed to make with traveling businessmen.

The red throw rug that sat beneath the chair she sat in and his desk had a bit of an oriental feel to it. The red hues were weaved into an intricate pattern with a magnificent gold thread. She had commented on it’s beauty once before. He had smiled, telling her about one of his many journeys that he had picked it up on. He really was a remarkable man. She couldn’t think of a better union for her daughter, politically speaking. Sure, Salinye didn’t get butterflies in her stomach over him, but she should! Every other maiden in the city did. She often wondered what she could have done differently to prevent her daughter from rebelling so strongly against her lifestyle, and the ways of their people. Whatever the case, Sylvia was astounded by Lord Attaway’s patience and generosity. He obviously cared for Salinye, in addition to recognizing the political heights he could reach with her as his wife. Salinye did have a way with people, after all.

“Well,” Garon said, finally turning around to face her. “I can’t say I like this new situation much. It felt more secure when the plan was for us to be married immediately- get her into my household, show her the life I will give her.”

Sylvia nodded, understanding. “I know, and I agree. However, you know how flighty she can be. It’s difficult to cage a wild bird.”

Attaway smiled, sitting back down into his chair. “Ahh, but you forget, M’lady. There are few better hunters in Fae’Thwyn than I.”

Laughing, Sylvia relaxed a bit. “I’m sorry you have to endure this wait at all, Lord Attaway. If I could control the situation, you know it would have been different long before now. However, Gabriel does have some valid points. Giving her a month to submerge herself back into our culture, our lifestyles, will more than cement in her mind why marrying you IS the best decision.”

He thoughtfully tapped his lips with two fingers before replying. “It’s not that I can’t see the advantage of a small courtship. If Salinye is anything, it’s a romantic. It’s the presence of her friend that keeps me wary. The entire situation feels a bit reminiscent of past miseries.”

Sylvia shifted in her chair, crossing one leg over the other and leaning her forearms on his desk. “Yes, but we’ve learned from last time. This time will be different. It’s in our favor to have that…ranger…here. We can work him into the place in the puzzle that he belongs. He’ll pale in comparison to you, M’lord. This time next month, we can plan a wedding!”

Garon smiled thoughtfully. “Yes well, I suppose we shall see. Thank you for updating me on this matter and I apologize for cutting our visit short. I, unfortunately, have some pending business to attend to.”

Understanding completely, Sylvia stood. “Of course. I’m sorry to have taken your time.”

“Think nothing of it,” he said standing as well and taking her hand. “It is always a pleasure to visit with my future mother-in-law.” He paused to place a kiss on the back of her hand. “I’ll see you at my home for dinner tomorrow.”

Attaway sat down in his chair, propping his elbows up on the desk, clasping his fingers together as he watched Sylvia leave his office. The door closed softly, and he could hear the soft click clack of her heels on the marble hallway floors. The moment he knew she was out of hearing distance, his complacent smile was replaced by a scowl and he slammed his fist down onto his desk causing the various items scattered among it to shake.

The dinner passed quietly, the three of them chatting over excellent food, though Salinye noticed a slight air of strain between the two men, though they did their best to hide it from her. Curious, she thought of pressing one or the other of them after dinner to find out what exactly they had said to each other. With a contented sigh, she pushed her plate away slightly, feeling too stuffed to eat another bite.

“Come now, dessert is ready!” Gabriel said, smiling at her. “Don’t tell me that you’re full already, are you?”

Salinye laughed. “But I am full, Gabriel, if I eat any more I may burst!” she protested, even as her plate was whisked away and a slice of berry pie was placed in front of her.

“Nonsense, my dear princess! Why, if you don’t eat more, you might starve!” Gabriel said, smiling broadly at her.

Salinye blushed lightly and mock-glared at Gabriel. “If I eat any more, I’ll become fat, and I don’t want that!” she retorted.

“What say you, Gyrfalcon?” Gabriel suddenly said, glancing at the half-elf, who had been sitting back smiling at the banter between Salinye and Gabriel.

“Hm? Well, Gabriel is right, Salinye – you’re quite slim and hardly in danger of becoming fat, so there’s no reason to not eat this excellent pie.” he said with a grin, which widened slightly as Salinye’s blush deepened.

“Oh, why am I surrounded by men who want to fatten me up?” she sighed, looked at the ceiling before taking a bite from the pie which was, as Gyrfalcon had said, excellent.

Gabriel chuckled “Don’t worry Salinye, I’ll tell you if you’re ever getting fat, as would your ranger companion.”

Gyrfalcon shook his head, grinning “Far be it for a gentleman to comment upon a lady’s weight... I’d leave that to Daryl, as he’s far from a gentleman.”

“Daryl?” Gabriel said, looking a bit puzzled.

“He’s a fox, and something of a pet to Salinye.” Gyrfalcon said with a smile.

Salinye shook her head fondly. “He’s a bit of a scamp, but his heart is good.” She said. “He’s even taught me to understand Fox!”

Gabriel smiled and brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. “Taught you to understand Fox?” he asked.

“He’s quite a bit more intelligent then your average fox.” Gyrfalcon said, grinning at the thought of Daryl and all of his tricks. “Speaking of Daryl, where is he?”

Salinye smiled. “Oh, I have him securely locked in my room. Not that I don’t trust him, but I don’t think he took to Mother and...”

“You don’t trust him to be good.” Gyrfalcon finished with a chuckle.

“How much trouble could one small fox cause?” Gabriel asked.

Gyrfalcon shook his head. “You have *no* idea.”

meanwhile...

Daryl was bored. Unimaginably *bored*. He supposed that for a normal fox, being locked in two or three rooms for a few hours would be fine. For a werefox with his raging sense of curiosity, it was torture. Finally, with a sigh, Daryl concluded that he’d have to disobey Salinye. After all, it wasn’t disobedience unless you were caught doing it... She had locked the door, of course. It stood to reason, if you want to keep a fox inside, you lock the door and take the key with you. If you want to keep a thief like Daryl inside, you lock the door and collapse the passage leading to it. Within a minute, Daryl had deftly picked the lock, using one of the lockpicks he kept secreted in his tail for the occasion. The lack of an opposable thumb barely hindered him with the simple lock. Chuckling to himself, Daryl replaced the lockpick in his tail and carefully pressed the handle down and pulled back, swinging the door inward. He peeked out of the crack between the door and the frame and once he was sure that no servants were about, he eased his little form through the door and closed it behind him. With a smug “Yerf.” he trotted along the corridor, retracing the path he and Salinye had taken to the main hall, where he hid behind some hanging drapes to listen to some approaching servants. Unfortunately for his comprehension, they were speaking High Elven rather then the common tongue, but he caught several references to ‘Celestialgrace’, in tones humorous and disparaging. Finally, one of the servants took an armful of bedding and started up the main staircase with it. The other two went their separate ways to complete their own tasks, and Daryl shadowed the servant carrying the bedding, ghosting up the marble steps without even the click of a claw, a little russet shadow.

Daryl mentally mapped the place as he followed the servant around, noting locations and landmarks within the building, major themes that would tell him where he was at a glance and good hiding spots for a fox in trouble. They ascended to the third floor and approached a pair of double-doors with the Celestialgrace emblem across the closed center. The servant passed the doors however, but Daryl stopped and hid behind a nearby wall hanging, guessing that this suite would belong to the Lady Celestialgrace, Salinye’s mother.

The servant returned and departed down the stairs and Daryl crept out from his cover to carefully open the door and explore the master bedroom, noting the large, soft bed, and the neatly displayed jewelry on the vanity. Taking a closer look, he also found several bottles of perfume as well as all sorts of makeup, everything a high lady would need to look her best. Normally, Daryl would have swept up everything valuable and been on his merry way, but Salinye had stressed to him that he should be on his best behavior and not take anything. And, he supposed, he’d like to stay here for at least a few more days, and all that jewelry disappearing would focus attention on the strangers- and Daryl didn’t think it’d be polite for the jewelry to show up in Salinye’s luggage.

His eyes focused on the bottles of perfume, and a nasty little idea began forming in his foxy mind. It wasn’t a nice thing to do... but he sensed that whatever she had been saying to Salinye hadn’t been that nice either. And sometimes, payback came in the form of a mischievous little fox. Grinning, he chose what was to him the least-pleasing scent, a concentrated whiff that caused his eyes to water horribly. Backing away and snorting repeatedly, he pawed at his eyes, and then grinned. Perfect.

He changed forms, settling between human and fox in his hybrid form. Stretching the kinks out, he quickly picked up the bottle and removed the cap, placing it where the bottle would normally rest on the vanity before silently stepping to the door. He peeked out for a long moment to ensure that the hall was empty before quickly sliding through the doors and balancing the bottle on the top of the opened door, closing the door until the bottle was precariously balanced, sure to splash all over whoever opened the door. He swiftly changed back to his fox form and scampered away behind some nearby hangings to wait. He knew when Salinye expected to be back from her dinner with this Gabriel, and thus knew how long he had before he would have to return to her room.

The vigilant fox did not have to wait long – a half hour at the most. He heard the tapping of stately footsteps and pressed himself against the wall to minimize any bulge in the hanging before carefully peeking out. He grinned to himself as he saw the approaching Lady Celestialgrace, apparently heading to her rooms. As he expected, she pushed open the door.... and the perfume tumbled down, splashing all over her.

Her shriek was ear-splitting, and the perfume made his nose itch, even ten feet away, but Daryl had trouble keeping his laughter silent as he enjoyed the results of his prank. She was screaming loudly, and from a few words he recognized, was saying most unladylike things. Daryl carefully turned around and slid away through the hangings as servants rushed past to see what was wrong, and suffered under Sylvia’s whip-like tongue as she demanded to know who had done this. No one was produced, as the last servant inside her quarters had been there hours ago, and she had merely taken away Sylvia’s midday repast.

No one ever suspected a certain fox, who snuggled into the nest he had made out of one of the blankets on Salinye’s bed and pretended to be fast asleep, waiting for Salinye’s return. His sides still shook with chuckles.

“So, have they brought more gifts?” Kragush Shatterskull snarled to himself, his voice a hoarse rasp from a wound to his throat he had suffered long ago, in the very battle where he had taken the chieftainship of his clan from the broken form of his predecessor. That had been just the beginning, as his forces plowed under smaller tribes and added their women and children to his own, until his clan had become large enough that smaller clans began to willingly swear fealty to him. Life had been good, as his clan swelled and his armies grew vast. And then... the elves came. He snarled again as he eyed the four standing at the opposite end of the clearing, but then grimly strode to the center of the empty space. After a long moment, the elves started forward, the lord and his translator, and two guards. Neither side had torches, for they wanted their meeting to be unnoticed, and on this clear night, neither needed torches either.

There were only four elves this time, but the orc warlord was sure there were probably at least a dozen more about, concealed by magic and the wondrous products of their magic, the boots and cloaks of elven-kind that allowed their trackers to pass invisibly through their forests. He had brought a score of his elite guard with him to this meeting, but even with the aid of his shamans, he doubted he could kill these four quickly enough, not without the benefit of surprise.

And there was always the possibilities they presented...

One of the snooty elves stepped forward “We’re glad you could find time from your busy schedule to meet us.” he said sarcastically, not realizing that his Orc had a horrible lisp to it that always made Kragush want to double over in laughter. Instead, he curled his lip in an amused snarl.

“What does the oh-so-mighty elf lord want this time? Another ranger you need dispatched?” Kragush said with an evil chuckle. He did so enjoy how they tried to convince the worgs not to eat them...

“He asked why the mighty elf lord summoned him.” the translator interpreted. “I believe he hoped that we had brought another ranger with us.”

“Tell him that this is more important then his petty amusements.” the lord snapped. “Tell him that the plans are delayed one month. EXACTLY one month.”

The translator bowed his head and was distinctly glad that the orcs didn’t understand a word of Elven. “The great lord asks that you restrain your mighty hordes for the space of one month, oh mighty warlord.” He said, as diplomatically as he could.

Kragush’s eyes narrowed and he snarled threateningly at the elven lord, the lord’s guards placing hands on the hilts of their fine swords. “A month! For what reason am I to wait a month! You promised me that we could attack in a few days. Days! My forces are ready, you pointy-eared bastard!”

The translator swallowed hard, having caught the majority of that. “Ah... my lord... he asks why his forces are to be held back for a month, when they are ready to attack now.” He said, editing his translation quickly. He had been told in the beginning to translate everything the orc said, but survival was more important then being totally accurate to what’s being said.

The lord hesitated. “Certain events have come up within the city. It seems that the security will not be lowered until a month from know. Surely you can only use the time to add to your horde. There’s never such a thing as too much, after all.”

“The events that were to have lowered the cities defenses have been rescheduled, and will take place in a month. During that time, you could increase the size of your army, for even with the defenses lowered, the city will not be easy to take.” The translator said, stumbling through the complex sentence.

“Humph. What is this mysterious event that you elves keep on referring to?” Kragush demanded in disgust. The lord hesitated again for a long moment, but there was no reason to conceal the truth from the orc.

“There will be a state wedding in a month, between the Lady Salinye Celestialgrace and the Lord Garon Attaway. During that time, much of the Royal Guard will be pulled aside for other duties, and it will take at least a week for them to assume their normal duties. It is during that time that the city is weakest.” The lord said impatiently, eager to finish this meeting.

“Damned elves and their thrice-damned politics! I can use the time to recruit another clan of hill giants I suppose. But if you think you can play me false, I’ll find each of you and have your guts carved out before your eyes!” Kragush snarled, before turning on his heel and leaving the clearing, his guards falling in behind him.

“Erm. He agreed to wait, my lord, and plans to recruit more hill giants in that time.” The translator stuttered nervously.

“He will get over his pique soon enough.” the lord said, his eyes glinting icily as he considered the departing orcs. “We might want to bring him another ranger to improve his attitude next time.”

“Yes, my lord.” The translator said miserably as they departed as well, to return to Fe'Thwyn.

Salinye placed the last jewel-encrusted pin into her hair, her blonde locks styled into a pile of curls atop her head. Random curls cascaded down from their nest, making her stubborn strand that always refused to be pinned, not seem so out of place. The tiny jewels that adorned the pins glittered elegantly among her flaxen hair. She chose a simple, yet elegant, golden spaghetti strap gown for her first homecoming appearance. It glittered as the light reflected off of it. A simple gold necklace with a long teardrop diamond hanging from it dangled from her neck, smaller teardrop diamonds hung from her delicately pointed ears. A simple gold chain adorned her wrist and right ankle as well. The hem of her gown rested just above her knees in the front, just below her knees in the back. She liked this dress. It showed off her figure nicely, while still being elegant and tasteful. When she left Fe’Thwyn she was but a girl, she wanted to be viewed as a woman upon her return.

A knock at the door called her attention. She automatically turned to open it, but was beat to the task by a quick handmaid. Another servant stood peering in from the hallway with a small box held within his hands. “A gift has arrived for M’lady Salinye.” He announced loud enough for her to hear. Owaelyn, her personal handmaiden, took the box from the man and closed the door.

“Ohhh, Lady Salinye. Someone wants to spoil you this eve,” she gushed bringing the velvet box to her.

Not being able to keep the hopeful smile from her face, she gently took the box from her servant’s hands and slowly opened the lid. Lying within was a rather exquisite wrist corsage comprised of fire and ice roses. Although she found the piece quite lovely, the smile slowly faded from her face. “What’s wrong, M’lady? Do you not like it?” Owaelyn asked.

“Oh, I like it. They’re quite beautiful.” Lord Attaway was kind to send it over. She carefully took it from its box and placed it upon her wrist.

“Are you sure it’s from Lord Attaway and not Gabriel or your half elven friend?”

“I’m quite sure. See, they know my favorite flowers are lilies and Irises.” She admired white tipped edges of the red roses. “They’re lovely, but I tend to prefer my flowers one of three ways- in my garden, in my hair, or in my hand or vase. These are things Gyre and Gabby would know.” Seeing the questioning stare of Owaelyn, the mage blushed already regretting speaking her thoughts aloud. Recovering quickly she smiled embracing her handmaiden in a warm apologetic hug. “I’ve just been away too long, Owaelyn. My nerves are on edge. This will be my first public social since I’ve returned. I know the city is abuzz with rumors, and I’m just…” Pulling back from the startled servant she looked into her eyes sincerely. “…I’m just nervous.”

Owaelyn fiddled with the bands that held her black hair back, smiling sympathetically. “Whatever they will say, M’lady Salinye, let them say. You are here, we are glad. Don’t let their words hurt you. Soon you will impress them with your compassion and charm, and your past will be left just where it should be-in the past.”

Salinye smiled appreciatively. “You know, I really needed to hear that. Thank you.”

“My pleasure. Now, I think it is time you head to Lord Attaway’s. There is a carriage out front awaiting you. Your mother has already gone.” She curtsied submissively and quietly walked into the adjoined sitting room of Salinye’s suite.

Salinye allowed the waiting coachman to take her hand as she stepped from the carriage onto the cobblestone courtyard of the Duke’s estate. Elegant white-frosted glass lanterns lined the walkway that led from the circular drive, to the grand entrance. Formally dressed butlers stood to either side of the open double doors greeting people as they entered, knowing who was and was not invited by memory and sight. She gave a polite nod of her head in their direction, a simple soft smile plastered to her face in an effort to disguise the turmoil of nerves and emotion that tumbled within her stomach.

She followed the general flow of the crowd until she reached a short line outside a set of white ornately carved double doors. Another servant stood there, took names and announced people as they entered. Salinye stood wringing her hands together in growing anxiety. She didn’t know how the night would go, she only knew she had to hold her head high in faux confidence. Deep inside of her she had the desire to run. However, she knew if she was to return and potentially become the bride of a very influential duke, than she needed to overcome the demons of her past first. She also knew if things got really bad that Gabriel and Gyrfalcon would be there.

“Your name M’lady….” The servant asked before looking up and recognizing her. “Oh, I will be happy to announce you, Lady Celestialgrace. The duke has named you the guest of honor.” Salinye’s stomach twisted, tightening the knots within. However, she simply smiled graciously, a light blush heating her face.

“Lord Attaway is too kind. I’m hardly worth of such an honor.” She could play the part as well as the best of them; she just let her natural royal instincts take over.

The servant nodded to her briefly before throwing the doors open, hitting a pleasant chime and announcing in a booming voice, “Presenting, The Lady Salinye Celestialgrace.” Knowing this was her cue she withdrew every sign of nervousness from her features and walked gracefully into the room with her head held high and a pleasant smile upon her lips. For all intents and purposes, Salinye looked the belle of the ball. She seemed a natural part of the setting. Only her eyes would give away her true feelings, and even then, only to someone who knew the wizardess well.

The large dining hall was decorated in hues of burgundy and gold. It was breathtakingly beautiful. She momentarily forgot herself as she drank in the elegance. Salinye was just as comfortable elbow deep in the dirt of her garden, however, there was a special part of her that craved the regal beauty of high elven culture. A quick scan over the crowd let her know that every important noble in Fe’Thwyn had been invited and all their eyes turned her way, as her name was called. No one knew what to expect of the wayward daughter that had so rebelliously abandoned her people years before. Some wished for nothing more than for her return to be a miserable failure, after all, it would serve her right. Others affectionately remembered her father, and hoped to see her rise to new heights within the community.

She continued making her way into the room, all the while running her eyes along each side of the room, nodding to those who’s eye she caught. She was able to relax when, to get her attention, Gabriel rose to stand at his table. Her gait lightened and sped up a bit as she turned heading towards him. She immediately leaned forward to embrace him and kiss him on the cheek, whispering, “I’m so glad you are here,” into his ear as she did so. It was only as he released her from his embrace that Gyrfalcon stood from his chair, allowing Salinye to see him.

She smiled and met his eyes then looked down shyly for a moment, a common effect he had on her, before raising her eyes to meet his again. He was, by nature, quite handsome. He chose to wear the formal attire Salinye had given him. Although it was not his preference, the ranger was no stranger to regal manners. If not for the less-than-normal point of his ears, one might think he was from Fe’Thwyn. He bowed before her, quite courtly, his head tilted so that his green eyes never left hers. Taking her hand gently, he placed a kiss upon the back of it, briefly noting the corsage upon her wrist. “Salinye, you look even more wonderful than normal.” He smiled still gently holding her hand.

Before she could respond, she noticed Gyrfalcon shift his gaze to her left and she became suddenly aware of another person at her side. “Doesn’t she, though?” Garon asked, placing a hand on the small of her back. “Exquisite, even.” He turned her towards him, her hand slipping from the rangers. “It’s as if the sun has returned to warm a storm beaten meadow.” Salinye blushed fiercely. Not only did she shy from flattery, but the current situation also made her extremely uncomfortable.

“Lord Attaway”, she curtsied demurely before him. “You are too generous in your assessments.”

“Actually, Salinye. I’m well known for my shrewd eye. I know breathtaking finery when I see it, and rarely fail to acquire it.” He smiled taking her hand to inspect the corsage. “I see you got the corsage I sent you.”

A forced smile came to the mage as she noticed he wore a matching boutonniere upon his lapel. “Yes, a kind gift, thank you. It’s lovely. Lord Attaway,…”

“Please, we’re to be married, call me Garon.” He smiled.

“Garon,” she started again. “Have you met my friend Lord Gyrfalcon No’Dessu?” She turned slightly gesturing to the ranger.

The duke bowed respectfully before him. “Not formally, although I do believe we met briefly in the halls of Celestialgrace Manor.”

Gyrfalcon returned the bow with a similar one, of precisely the same depth and length, which thinned Garon Attaway's lips just slightly. "Indeed we did, Lord Attaway," his voice coolly polite.

“Well, I’m glad you could make it, please, consider my hospitality open to you. Any friend of Salinye’s is a friend of mine.” He then turned his attention to Gabriel, bowing again. “M’lord Lothanius, a pleasure as always.” Gabriel returned the formality before sitting back down. “Now, if you gentlemen will excuse us, I think I’ll escort Salinye to our table. Oh, and before I forget, I think you bachelors will find your table companions quite…enticing,” he winked to the men before turning to lead the wizardess towards the front of the hall.

Gyrfalcon stared after Garon before seating himself beside Gabriel. "I think I'm beginning to dislike that man." he whispered, barely audible. It took every bit of the royal manners inside of salinye NOT to look back over her shoulder longingly.

Edited by Salinye

Salinye sat at Garon’s right hand side at the head of the dining hall. A picture perfect image of an elf maiden with her beau….Or so it might seem. Often her gaze was drawn to Gabriel and Gyrfalcon’s table. Lord Attaway had indeed found “interesting” company for them. The six vacant seats at their table were filled with various single elven beauties. Both of the men were in rapt conversation with them. Whatever the ranger just said caused the women to tilt their heads back in laughter.

Garon followed her eyes and smiled softly turning his head to study her face, carefully. “It seems your friend has our ladies quite enraptured.”

“Mmmm, he has that effect on women,” she responded without thinking. Immediately realizing her mistake she turned to look at him with a smile. Placing her hand on his she continued. “He’s a ranger. My sister, well, Celowyn, she’s a ranger now. They’re quite charming, you know. I can remember when we were young, being jealous at how easily she could attract the young men’s eyes.” She couldn’t help but laugh sincerely at the memories.

He turned his hand so that he was holding hers. “She wasn’t the only one with charm, Salinye.” She blushed smiling at him, allowing him to believe her flush was from feeling flattered. Gently sliding her hand from him she reached for her glass of wine and sipped from it.

“Well, perhaps his visit to the city will pay off. Perhaps he’ll find a nice elven companion.” Garon continued still studying her reactions to his words.

Smiling, Salinye set her wine glass down and looked into his eyes. “That would be nice, wouldn’t it?”

“Indeed.” He smiled halfway pleased with her response.

Shey’alis looked into Gyrfalcon’s eyes as he spoke with her. The ranger, held her gaze finding her company quite pleasant. She was incredibly lovely, as most elven women were; however, her beauty had uniqueness to it. Her china doll features were complimented by long, flowing silver hair. “I’ve never seen anyone with hair quite like yours before” he complimented her. “It’s very lovely.”

Shey’alis blushed adding endearment to her countenance. “It seems to draw a lot of attention.” Resting her hand on the crook of his elbow she asked, “So tell me, where is New Muriska?”

Gyrfalcon accepted her touch easily, though it was not normally in his nature. "Across the Eastern Sea, actually. It's part of a tiny mountain kingdom, but it is home." She smiles winsomely at the ranger, and he smiled back. On the dais, Salinye frowned to herself before masking her expression.

Edited by Salinye

• 2 weeks later...

Gyrfalcon sipped from his wine glass, casually glancing at the dais where Garon Attaway and Salinye held attendance over the dinner party. The two seemed locked in friendly conversation, Garon doing his utmost to be charming and Salinye smiling warmly in response. Warmly if you didn’t know her as well as Gyrfalcon did – he could tell that her smile lacked the true warmth of happiness behind it and was merely an excellent polite smile.

Turning his attention back to the table, Gyrfalcon smirked to himself as he considered his dinner companions. Gabriel had kept mostly quiet during the meal, spending his time intently eyeing the half-elf, gauging the ranger’s reactions to their other dinner companions, six of the more lovely women in a city of beautiful women. Gyrfalcon might not have caught on to their game if it was not obvious that each was focusing solely on Gyrfalcon, despite the lure of a powerful, handsome lord from their own city sitting at the same table. While the half-elf may be exotic in his outlandishness, his manners were those of any high elf lord, and he wasn’t any more attractive then Gabriel was. And he was a half-elf.

Obviously, his dinner companions had been chosen carefully, perhaps by Gabriel as a test of Gyrfalcon’s loyalty to Salinye, most likely by Garon to divert the half-elf and make the noble’s efforts to secure Salinye’s affections easier. Once the half-elf had discerned the game that the women were playing, he found their attention grating. Every time he attempted to change the subject – about himself – the women doggedly returned to probing questions about his background. Perhaps most men would be thrilled to receive so much attention from several beautiful women, but Gyrfalcon was not most men. Yet if he was to be invited to more of these events, then he could not pass himself off as a simple bore. Instead it had almost becomes a game of sparring, with the half-elf offering answers that were truthful, but only part of the truth to their incessant questions.

Through all of this, perhaps the easiest dinner companion for the ranger was the silver-haired beauty, Shey’alis. Unlike the other women, she gracefully took the hint when the half-elf subtly suggested that he would like to be able to enjoy at least some of the meal and helped him deflect the topic to current events in the city.

Given time to finally enjoy a bit of dinner and a different topic, Gyrfalcon found Shey’alis charming and exotic, as well as accepting of Gyrfalcon’s lack of willingness to talk about himself further that evening. The two easily conversed, and though Gyrfalcon did not consciously know it, his heart leapt a bit with every winsome smile she directed his way.

And Gabriel studied the half-elf and his reactions closely as he sipped at his wine.

Eventually the desert plates were cleared away and Garon Attaway stood and held out his hand to Salinye. She took it and gracefully rose to stand at his side. “We thank you for your attendance this evening, my lords and ladies, and hope that you found your meal excellent.” Garon said, smiling easily, a hand resting on Salinye’s arm, their fingers still interlaced. “We hope to see all of you again soon.” the lord finished with a bright smile. A polite applause rose, and he bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement. Salinye smiled by his side, her cheeks bearing a faint blush.

Gyrfalcon applauded with the rest of the diners, but his eyes were focused on Salinye, and his expression remained polite, even when a woman nearby remarked to her friend about how beautiful the two looked standing there.

As Gyrfalcon began to make his goodbyes to the women who had shared the table with Gabriel and the ranger, Shey’alis turned a disarmingly winsome smile on the ranger. “I’m afraid I don’t have an escort, m’lord No’Dessu. And while the streets of Fe’Thwyn are as safe as any in the realm, a woman is still safer with an escort. Could you walk me to my home?”

Gyrfalcon smiled politely and bowed. “No gentleman would leave a lady without a proper escort.” he assured her. “I would be pleased to escort you to your home.” Shey’alis beamed at his words, while behind the half-elf, Gabriel frowned to himself.

After making the appropriate goodbyes, the two left the party and walked down the broad, green-leafed avenues as night was falling and the fireflies began to emerge to flitter about, glowing softly in the faint moonlight. Neither of the two were much disconcerted by the darkness, for elven night vision was excellent, and here and there in the trees, small lamps began to glow with a bluish light, casting everything in soft shadows.

“I thank you for a wonderful evening.” Shey’alis said as they turned off the avenue and moved towards a richly appointed if small mansion.

“I should thank you for the same, m’lady Shey’alis.” the half-elf responded, smiling.

“Please, simply call me Shey’alis.” she protested.

“Only if you call me Gyrfalcon, Shey’alis.” he responded with a chuckles.

She smiled in response. “Of course, Gyrfalcon.”

The two reached the door step and Shey’alis turned to face Gyrfalcon. “I don’t suppose you could give me a goodnight kiss?” she said with a warm smile. Gyrfalcon smiled in response, feeling an overwhelming desire to lean in and kiss her on the cheek. At the last moment, he altered his movements smoothly to gently take her hand and kiss the back of it.

Rising, he unsuccessfully attempted to fight down a blush and softly cleared his throat. “Have a good evening, Shey’alis.” he said, bowing to her before returning down the path to city streets, frowning to himself as he walked, his sudden attraction to the mysterious Shey’alis troubling him.

Salinye kept a pleasant soft smile plastered onto her face as Garon made his end of the night announcements. She didn’t like how he grouped her with him, “We’d like to thank you….” As if they were a couple already. It was her understanding that she got this month to decide if that is the course she would take. He seemed to be under the impression that there was no choice left to be made. However, she wouldn’t challenge or correct him, not yet. She would wait a bit and see how things played out. This was all quite sudden and new and for all she knew, he was acting within his bounds and she was being hypersensitive.

Another thing that upset her was that she had lost track of Gyrfalcon and Gabriel in the moving crowd. Many people had approached Garon to thank him for a lovely evening. When she had a chance to scan the room again, both her godfather and the ranger were no longer there. Standing outside the coach Garon had provided for her she let go of his arm and looked up to him with a smile. “Thank you for a lovely evening, Garon. Everything was beautiful.”

“It was my greatest honor to have you at my side, Salinye.” Garon smiled pulling her into a much closer embrace than she was comfortable with. Wrapping her arms around him she gave him a hug and then gently pulled back. He smiled confidently at her; he really was handsome. Taking both of her hands in his he slowly leaned forward with the intention of kissing her goodnight. Salinye didn’t have much time to think, on one hand, she did NOT want to kiss him; she wasn’t ready for that. On the other, she did not want to offend him. Making a last minute decision, she blushed turning her face to the side so that he could kiss her cheek. He stepped back with a pleasant soft laugh. He always mistook her blush as a sign of flattered shyness. This early in their renewed courtship, she could get away with such rejections without offending.

Stepping back, he bowed regally before her. “Sleep well, Salinye. May I call upon you soon?”

Smiling and stepping up into the coach she looked over her shoulder. “Of course.”

-----------------------

Riding through the quiet streets of Fe’Thwyn she looked out the sheer curtained windows of the coach. Some coupled that lived nearby were enjoying a moonlit stroll back to their abodes. Salinye sighed at them enviously. They seemed to be enjoying the evening happily, without a care in the world. Her eyes narrowed in on a couple her coach was approaching. The first thing to catch her eye was the gait of the male elf. She would know him anywhere. The second thing she noticed was the incredible silver hair of the woman.

She stayed veiled behind the curtain as they passed, but there was no mistaking Gyrfalcon and Shey’alis. She walked at his side, her arm linked within his. They appeared to hold pleasant conversation and worse yet, she seemed to hold the ranger’s attention and stare. She felt a rush of jealousy surge up within her. She wanted to jump from the coach and claim him as her own. These feelings surprised her. What right did she have to feel jealous? Was she not the one forcing him to wait and see if she’ll choose another man or not? Furthermore, was it not her who continually reminded him that she didn’t have faith in his feelings for her? He would be foolish not to explore other options. Maybe this will prove to him that he doesn’t feel for her the way he thinks he does. Well, that would be good. At least then I wouldn’t have to have any regrets surrounding my decision. …or so she told herself as her coach rounded a corner removing the walking couple from her view.

Salinye smiled as she was led into Gabriel’s elegant dining room. She had many fond memories here. Midnight ice cream with her godfather among her favorites. Gyrfalcon looked up as she thanked the servant who brought her there. Setting his spoon down, he stood, swallowing his bite of warm cereal and wiping his mouth with a cream cloth napkin. “Salinye. Please, have a seat. Are you hungry?”

The mage laughed and sat down at the end of the table, adjacent to where he sat. “No, I ate hours ago.”

Gyrfalcon sat back down as well shooting her a sheepish grin. “I overslept this morning. Did you sleep well?”

The mage returned his smile, her heart sinking just a bit as she lied to him. “Yes, did you?”

The ranger looked a bit tired to her as he shrugged. “Meh. Not so much. Had some odd dreams.”

Being no stranger to nightmares, she reached over to gently place a hand on his arm. “Care to share them with me?”

A twinkle shone is his eyes as he crinkled his brow exaggerating his thoughtfulness. “Well, first there was that horrible one where Garon professed his love to me.”

Salinye rolled her eyes and shook her head. “You’re impossible.”

“OH! But then there was that one where I got to dance the night away with a beautiful woman. You in fact.” He winked.

Smacking his arm she blushed as the ranger expected she would. “Fine, fine. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t wish to!”

“Sorry, all jokes aside. I just remember being chased, hunted. Only I can’t remember by what or why.” He shrugged shoveling another bite of his cereal that was growing cold, into his mouth.

“I’m sorry. I hate nights like that. It’s probably all the stress I’ve put on you.” She frowned knowing inwardly it was probably true. He simply shook his head and waved his hand dismissively at the suggestion and swallowed his food.

“Nonsense, they were just random odd dreams. We all have them.”

“I suppose. Anyway, what did you think of last night?”

“Mmm... I didn't get to see as much of you as I'd want to. Most of my table companions were beautiful, charming, and insanely interested in a foreign half-elf.” He rolled his eyes. Squeezing his arm, she burst out laughing. “Yes, that was my reaction as well!” He smirked depreciatingly.

“Lord Attaway was quite thoughtful of you.”

“Yeah, or he was trying to get me out of the way by throwing women at me.”

“Well, they didn’t seem all bad.” She did her best to sound casual. “You seemed to make a…friend.” She nervously ran a hand through her hair.

“The Lady Shey'alis. She actually took the hint when I discreetly suggested I'd rather not be the only subject of the night.” He shrugged finishing off the last of his breakfast.

“Shey'alis. That's a pretty name. I'm not as familiar with her.” For the moment, she appreciated her royal upbringing and ability to mask her true feelings.

He nodded thoughtfully. “She seems to be fairly unique. I've not seen a silver-haired high elf... ever, actually. A few moon elves but that's it.”

“Yes, she’s a rare beauty indeed.” Her voice had the tiniest of an edge to it as she felt a twinge of jealousy.

Picking up on her worry, he smiled humored. “She’s not as beautiful as you are, though.”

Salinye rolled her eyes. “She is beautiful, very. I wasn’t fishing for compliments.”

Gyrfalcon caught her hand in his as she removed it from his arm. "I'm serious, Salinye. She may be beautiful, but it’s the beauty of a statue... cold. You're beautiful the way a meadow is - warm and alive and expressive."

She lowered her eyes feeling her face heat up in the way it always seemed to around him. Looking up to meet his gaze she spoke. "I saw you two walking, you looked…comfortable.”

“Well, she wasn't barraging me with questions. In fact, I was learning about what's currently going on in this city.” He replied honestly, yet rather lamely.

She raised an eyebrow looking directly into his green eyes. “So then, you weren’t attracted to her?”

He frowned. “I was, actually. It's odd... as soon as I was removed from her presence, the attraction disappeared.”

“I…see. That’s very…interesting.” She was surprised by his direct and honest answer and tried hard to keep any hurt from showing in her eyes.

Gyrfalcon looked at her beseechingly. "I don't understand it myself, Salinye. Is there some form of magic that would do that?"

“Well, there are of course many kinds of magic that can accomplish many different things. However, I really don’t think it’s likely. You, and Gabriel, for sure, would have noticed if someone was using trickery magic like that on you. Besides it wouldn’t make much sense.”

“Well, perhaps the idea was to keep my focus on someone else, leaving you free for Garon.” His eyes darkened a bit. “I HATE people playing with my emotions.”

“GyrE, I agree, that might have been in Lord Attaway’s mind when he chose your table companions, but I highly doubt he’d be sloppy enough to construct a ploy like that. I know you don’t like him, and I even understand, but that doesn’t make him a shady person. Besides, I’m very sensitive to magic, and I was highly aware of you last night. I’m absolutely positive I would have noticed if anyone had been casting magic on you.”

Gyrfalcon leaned forward to look into her eyes, gently squeezing her hand in his intensity. "Believe me Salinye, someone is trying to sour our relationship. I don't go from attraction to nothing with the closing of a door."

She shrugged, “Maybe you don’t usually. Maybe you’re just honestly quite physically attracted to her, Gyrfalcon.” She hardly ever used his full name, a thing the ranger did not miss.

He sat back from her, looking across the room, his frustration growing. “I can’t explain it to you, Sal. There is just something not right about it.”

“Well, I appreciate you being honest with me, and I can understand why it worries you, it worries me too. I really think there is only one thing you can do.” She looked down momentarily as he turned to meet her eyes once more.

“I think you should definitely see her again.” She swallowed hard looking back up at him.

He blinked at her disbelievingly. “What?”

“Gyre, it’s the only way to be sure, really.” She said.

Gyrfalcon blinked again. “Run that by me one more time?”

“It's...It's the only way you can know if you truly have some feelings for her, Gyrfalcon. It's important that we know.” She shifted in her seat uncomfortable and avoided his eyes.

He kept his intense stare on her and gently rubbed the top of her fingers with his thumb. “And what do you want, Salinye?"

She caught her breath momentarily. “What do you mean?”

Gyrfalcon smiled faintly. "You almost sound... hopeful."

Salinye looked up to finally meet his eyes...."I'm not....I...I just really need to know...”

"You wish that your choices would be simpler." he reasoned.

She nodded thoughtfully. “ I wish that my choice would be simpler, yes. But...that isn't what I’m looking for, I'm not looking for an out, GyrE. I'm not. To be honest, you owe it to yourself to know.

Gyrfalcon gently kisses her fingers. "I'm not sure if I agree. You and I have built something together - bonds of friendship and shared pains that I've shared with few others."

She lowered her voice to a whisper, so easily completely drawn into him “Yes...Which is why I must know. If even with what we have, you find yourself attracted to her…” She left the sentence hanging.

Gyrfalcon squeezes her fingers gently. "That's just it, Salinye. What matters most to me is the personality, the spirit... not looks, no matter how exotic. Besides, looks aren’t even the issue here. You know how often I compliment your beauty, am taken off guard by it. But if you view this as a potential problem, then I’ll see her again to show you that it isn’t.”

Salinye sighed placing her free hand over his. “I want to be wrong. I want you to be right. I'm sorry this is all so hard, and as always, you have your full choices. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Not even stay in this city if you don't wish to.

He grinned good-naturedly. "And leave you alone with only a werefox for companionship? Never!”

“Oh, I have Garon.” She rolls her eyes then blushes at her own ill manners. “I really shouldn’t poke fun at him.”

“Oh no, feel free. I’d like to poke him with sharp objects, personally.”

“To be fair, I really need to try to see the good things in him. It’s not that he’s bad. I know, I know, you disagree. I just have absolutely no attraction to him whatsoever, but that doesn’t make him bad.” She said in his defense.

“What's not to love about his supercilious attitude, or his rampant xenophobia…and there is always that large boil on his neck.” He asked feigning innocence.

She simply laughed at him. “There is no Xenophobia, or boil. He’s actually quite generous, and you can hardly blame him for his attitude after I practically left him standing abandoned at the alter.”

Gyrfalcon scowled softly. “Oh, he does *not* like half-elven rangers, I can tell you that.”

“No darling, he doesn’t like you. You remind him of Dainin, and really, you can hardly blame him.” She reasoned.

Raising an eyebrow, he scoffed at her trying to lighten the mood. “Oh yes I can! I’m fully capable of as many illogical hatreds as he is.”

She smiled at him squeezing his hand again. “It’s clear to all who pay attention that we have “something” growing between us. He has a right to feel threatened.

“Yeah well, forgive me if I have a hard time feeling much sympathy, but now, let’s move to more pleasing subjects, shall we?”

She smiled glad to speak of other things. “Of course.”

~Salinye :fairy:

Edited by Salinye